Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: (5589 Views)

Poll: Job, Full-time, Or Part-time?

Job: 5% (2 votes)
Full time studies: 27% (11 votes)
Part time studies: 67% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

I Lost My Job Because I Complained Of Poor Working Condition!! / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters / How Advisable Is Hopping From One Job To Another? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by marjson(m): 1:28pm On Jul 24, 2007
I finished my national diploma and was opportune to start a job which I am earning about #37k monthly but I am planning to go back for a direct entry admission into a university. my savings up till now is about #250 k ,though am planning to purchase access bank shares of about #80k and Dangote flour mills of about #80 k also,

but I have no sponsor  that’s why I am requesting for advice from you my elderly ones to put me through the best investment which I can engage in and be able to sponsor myself throughout out my days at the university so that I will never regret living my job and go back to school.  I will really appreciate all your contributions.

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR ADVICE AND ENCOURAGEMENTS TO MAKE ME A BETTER PERSON IN FUTURE.
BUT THE FACT STILL REMAIN THAT I STUDIED ELECT/ELECT ENGINEERING AS MY N.D AND I AM WORKING AS A CONTRACT TELLER AND THE CONTRACT IS GANNA LAPSE BY OCT 2008 THOUGH IT MIGHT BE RENEWABLE WHICH MEANS THE JOB EXPERIENCE IS NIL.AND COME TO THINK OF IT,I HAVEN'T COME ACROSS ANY UNIVERSITY OFFERING ENGINEERING AS A P/T AND IF THEY DO IT IS WEEK DAYS AND HOW WILL I COPE IS THE QUESTION.MORE OVER YABATECH WOULD HAVE BEEN A VERY GOOD CHOICE OF MINE BUT THEY OFFER THIER ENGINNERING PART TIME IN WEEK DAYS ALSO.
LETS LOOK AT IT THESE WAY MY FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS,MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING WITH S.S.C.E TODAY IN VARIOUS COMPANYS ARE LIVING VERY FINE THEN BECAUSE WHAT THEY ARE ERANING THEN IS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO CATER FOR THIER DAILY ACTIVITIES,BUT IMMEDIATELY THEY START HAVING CHILDREN AND THEY HAVE LESS THAN ENOUGH TO CATER FOR THIER FAMILY.THATS WHY I COME ON BOARD HERE TO SEEK FATHERLY AND MOTHERLY ADVICE FROM ALL.

Thank you all.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by dafidixone(m): 3:42pm On Jul 24, 2007
I think your available option at this time is to take up a part time studies. Make more research about various part time options you will surely fit into one.

I wish you the best.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Seun(m): 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2007
Honestly, I don't think what you'll gain in a Nigerian University is worth 5 years of unemployment.
How much do you think you will be earning when you graduate, anyway? What about job experience?

Stay in your job, invest your income regularly, and one day you'll have enough to start a good business.
Invest in trusted shares like Dangote, Dangote, and Dangote that will grow over the next few decades.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by st1(m): 3:54pm On Jul 24, 2007
Invest in a moving stock on the floor of the market and when you are finally set to return to school, you can start selling off parts of the stock thats if you do not want to sell all of it.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by femi4love(m): 3:54pm On Jul 24, 2007
Seun:

Honestly, I don't think what you'll gain in a Nigerian University is worth 5 years of unemployment.
How much do you think you will be earning when you graduate, anyway? What about job experience?

Stay in your job, invest your income regularly, and one day you'll have enough to start a god business.
Invest in trusted shares like Dangote, Dangote, and Dangote that will grow over the next few decades.

Wise advice!
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by abilityman(m): 4:07pm On Jul 24, 2007
Guy,
it might interest u to note that some graduates are earning 35k per month. Part time is the only option since u are sponsoring urelf!!!

cheers
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by smile007: 4:08pm On Jul 24, 2007
@ marjson, I think education is the best thing someone can give himself or herself. It maybe true that u earn good money today, but think about your future? what of if u were sack from your present place of work, then do u think your diploma cert can earn you a good job in future? where the country is going now people with a minimum of HND or Bcs cert will end up be a security guard except in some cases,

Dont mind any body telling you to continue your present job, ask them first if they went to university or not !if they did that means they are not telling u the truth. University education is the best.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Michaeli: 4:15pm On Jul 24, 2007
I think it'll be nice you get a degree.
Pls explore the part time option
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Bossman(m): 4:16pm On Jul 24, 2007
Wow! I'm sorry to say that some of us not living there are not really aware of how bad things are for some graduates. How does the freaking govt. expect someone to make a decent living off such a salary. And, some people here are making over $50/hr and think nothing of it.  It kind of puts things in perspective.

As others have said, you may be better off saving some money/investing and starting a business  down the road. Also, looks like those meager salary jobs are hard to come buy, so stay put. Good luck!
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by amaikama(m): 4:21pm On Jul 24, 2007
Don't think i have much to say, the best advice had been given. don't make a wrong decisions and end up regretting in life.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Tmoni(m): 4:39pm On Jul 24, 2007
pls really consider the part time option,

thats is your best line of action

all the best in life
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by obyann(f): 4:54pm On Jul 24, 2007
@ poster,
I dont know how long you have been working to be able to save up to that amount. Do you think this your present job will give you time to run a Part Time programme. If your answer is yes, please don't quit your job.

I think I have the same problem with you. I finished my OND from Yabatech, I'm about going back for my Degree as the school has been turned to University. I have never taught of quiting my job because that's what is sustaining me.  I have no sponsor as well and I dont want to beg any body for anything.

I know its not easy to be working and at the same time a student. Please my dear, the ball is on your court.

Good luck.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by marjson(m): 5:03pm On Jul 24, 2007
thanks so much for all your advice, may god grant us all our wishes.amen
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by menix(m): 5:07pm On Jul 24, 2007
My brother i think Seun said it all, You would be making d worst mistake in life by leaving d job ang going back 4 full time studies where as u dont ve a sponsor, My brother 250k cant take u anywhere or is the skool free of charge talkless of feeding, accomodation, transportation, Bobby think!!! Part time is d best option,
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by onyek: 5:13pm On Jul 24, 2007
$250k savings is not very much when you have nothing coming in,

I think you should do a part time course. I'm sure you can find a school that you could do it in.

Another thing you should think about is: Where do I want to be in 5 years time?

Considering the job situation in Nigeria and the difficulty in finding work there, I would seriously suggest you keep your job and pursue your education part time.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 24, 2007
If you are going to medical school with a vision to emigrate,then it's worth it.
The ground here is still very fertile.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Analytical(m): 5:24pm On Jul 24, 2007
Marjson and all,

There is much to gain in furthering your education and nothing really to lose.  Some have talked about investing your money and going into business, forgetting that the best investment you can make is that of education.  It is for a lifetime!

Whatever you think you will lose now (N37k monthly) is just temporary.  Think long-term and don't be myopic.  By all means, a first degree (HND/Bsc) is not the same thing as OND!  Think of how you will cut yourself off potentially from better offers in future that require a first degree, all because you carry OND.  Even in the present job you are doing, are you on the same scale as a degree holder in the same company?  There is a limit you can go with your present qualification.

Even, if you have to open a business as Seun suggested, you stand a better chance as a graduate!  It will broaden your horizon further and help you become a better manager of people and resources.  So don't stagnate yourself if you have the opportunity.  It's a good thing to improve yourself.  You will appreciate this better when in some years to come you have to pay rent, maintain a family, pay the bills, train the kids, and discover you need better income.  Then you will  remember suddenly the alternative forgone!

However, since you are sponsonsoring yourself, here is my advice:

1.  Some have already given a good advice- explore a part-time option.  

2.  Alternatively, you may also want to defer the admission for a while (maybe 1 year more) to enable you save and invest more so that money will not be a problem.  You have started well.

3.  Depending on your discipline, you may invest that some of the money in a campus business that will pay your way through school, while you are studying full-time.  I know such outfits like barbing salons, computer services, photocopying, eateries, repair and maintenance, programming, etc are hotcakes in a school environment.

By the way, what's your discipline, where and when do you plan to school?

All the best.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by tinu97(f): 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2007
TO be educated is a good thing. To be employed is also good. How do we balance the equation then, just like someone has earlier advised you to do part time, I will also encouraged you to do the same, see the OND you are carrying today may be of lower value tommorrow, and the job you have today you might lost it tommorrow or the company might fold up, what will keep you going is your education, so plz my dear endeouvor to do a part time, its will only take you extra diligent and commitment but before you knows it you have graduated.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by oludunamis(m): 5:36pm On Jul 24, 2007
@analytical
God bless u my broda, i cant agree any more with you. look at the bigger picture bro, where do u see urself in 10yrs with ND, dont know u grades or your subject. if u are determined u will get to where you aspire.

I personally will not advise u based on negative situation around you, hw many ND holders can boast of 37k job, yes u have one, so even if naija grads dont have job, u will get yours, "as a man thniketh so he is" like analystical said, take ur time and save more or explore part time option, but if u have the dream of getting ur bachelors, pls dont abandon it.

what did u study? your ND grade etc

good luck
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Soundmind(m): 5:58pm On Jul 24, 2007
Bros,
U are about to make a costly mistake. It is good to read but pls, have a good ground first. U can go for part time or even National Open University Of Nigeria.
I rather advice u to leave schooling now. Continue with ur work. Invest the money in shares or some other business. When ur investment have grown to like 2m or 3m, u can then think of going back to school. With this 250k it will all go in your first year in school. What will u do?
Do make mistakes others made in this regard.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by gbeborun(m): 6:47pm On Jul 24, 2007
Some people have very myopic view, buy shares, buy shares, invest in Dangote etc My brother the best investment you can make is to invest in your future! Nobody, i repeat nobody can steal or take it from you. And by investing in your future i think going to school to get a degree is not a bad idea, even if you've a sponsor i'll advice you seek part-time opportunities.
Enron collapsed, remember the dot.com wahala, now those share certificate are worthless, but if u graduate with a good grade, you can always put your certificate to good use. Your degree certificate will be of immerse value in the future.
I admire your drive, pls ensure you start something this year, it is well with you
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Femonjay(m): 7:21pm On Jul 24, 2007
Go for part time programme and enrol for a course that relate to

the job you are doing presently,so by the time you finished your

education you will also have related work experience that will give you

edge above others

all the best
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by FLT123(m): 7:30pm On Jul 24, 2007
Marjson,

I did not want to respond to this post but when I decided to. Like some people have mentioned: education is the best investment. Life is full of upsa and downs, dangote flour, bank shares may go kaput tomorrow but ur education will stay with you.

It is very sad in Nigeria today that a graduate cannot get a good job but I will advise you of some strategy
1. don't go and study sociaology, yoruba or all those soft courses. It will be harder for you to get a job with that kind of degree
2. study engineering, sciences, computer, etc
3. when u get into school, don't do guy guy, face ur study squarely and come out with a 1st class.
4. career wise, u set a ceiling for yourself by not getting an education

It is a lot easier if you do such course and come out with a great degree.

Does that translate definitely to a good job? No. Does it increase your chances a great deal? Yes.

I finished in Unilag in '98 and most of my friends that finished with good grades have good jobs. What I left Unilag with still follows me till today. People want to meet you and talk to you when they hear that you have a 1st class or the best student in your class.

Lastly and most importantly, no job is secure or guaranteed, you should use your degree to improve ur chances of starting a very good business or good network. Education broadens your mind, it opens you up to ideas and people.

My 2cents.

PS: let me know what u decide. I'm kind of interested in this.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by gbengaijot(m): 7:32pm On Jul 24, 2007
@poster of this thread:

Please please and please. Never even think of leaving your Job. Come to think of it, you have various needs that your job is satisfying for now. If you quit your job, you''ll find it very very difficult to meet those needs.

2. Nigeria is a rubbished system. I live in the Uk, but i love my country to smuch that i endeavou to visit at least three times ayear. At the moment, i spend quite a bit of time improving on an enterprise that has gone to its second developmental stage.  Nigerian Universities are not encouraging to pour out your time into full time. I can't belive that most universities were on strike from march till early july, am i making sense here?

3. If you want to take good advice, never ever think of leaving your Job(Seun, you did well on this one). Request for part time information from most leading institutions. I guess you aso know that you don't av to attend a Nigerian University to get a degree. You can get a degree from a UK university without even travelling to the UK. Its called distance learning, an i bet you could ssve up enough money to do that, if you are able to delay your gratification.

4. Think about a biz idea, like seun said, and invest your time and engergy into developing it to reality. Invest money in shares that will appreciate over time.

I guess this should just be enough start.

Please dont mind those people telling you to uit your job for a dumb useless university certificate when you can do it part-time.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by Carlosein(m): 7:39pm On Jul 24, 2007
my broda people have spoken pls don't make a costly mistake go part time.

a job in hand (no matter the pay) is worth plenty in the wishing (abi?) undecided

take care wink
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by oyie(f): 7:53pm On Jul 24, 2007
i think you do parttime and invest wisely
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by novice(f): 7:59pm On Jul 24, 2007
Please don't leave your job for any kind of university!!!

You will ever live to regret it. No be Cause o!!. How many Nigerian graduates are earning #10, 000.00 not to talk of #37,000.00?.

By the time you finish the so called university age would have also be against you.

Be wise. Go for part-time studies if you want to futher your education

honestly u took the words out of my mouth. It's a noble idea to want to get a degree, but after then what? Probably "no vacancy" plus "age wahala" . I am telling u this because someone dear to my heart is a victim. Now he has gotten the degree, with a 2.1 for that matter, in addition to his ND(upper credit). now no job plus age isn't on his side.  

Don't kill urself yet. go to skool if u want to but do part time. nigeria jaga jaga
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by smile007: 8:10pm On Jul 24, 2007
Even if niger is good or not ! just get ur first degree,either full time or partime .I will like u to think abt this let say in 5years time u were sack from you present work where else do u think u can get a work with a diploma cert. those who are telling u not to quit ur work are all graduates lipsrsealed
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by warfarian(m): 8:25pm On Jul 24, 2007
please dont leave your job ohhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by godseye(m): 8:26pm On Jul 24, 2007
honestly,this same stuff has been bothering me for long,i was opportuned to get a job worth 30k,after having ND uppercredit in elect/elect eng.but my guys at school then has always advice me not to stay put that i should further my degree course since they know the stuff i am made of,but i am still in a state of dilemma.bt what i proposed doing is to get the de form and  a part time course as well,so as nt toput  the whole egg in one basket.nevertheless i am still confused someone should please advice me.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by oge4real(f): 9:39pm On Jul 24, 2007
I support your going for part time studies to upgrade your worth in the labour market tomorrow.
No condition is permanent you know.
Re: I’m Leaving My Job To Go Back To School: by godseye(m): 10:22pm On Jul 24, 2007
see i am still confused,i have always not buy this idea of pt programme,i still need to go to skull and feel th campus life
i pray everything work out

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rich Dad Poor Dad - An Impractical Book / How Relevant Is Itil Certification And How Do I Get Certified / Skye Bank Staffs voice out of unjust treatment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.