Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,262 members, 7,815,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Lagos Landlord Palava - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Landlord Palava (13855 Views)

Lagos Landlord Shocked To See Prepared Meters In Mud Houses In Ghana / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Lagos Landlord Forcefully Ejecting Erring Tenants From His House (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Landlord Palava by Oooops: 9:03pm On Apr 23, 2016
My landlord just delivered a letter from his lawyer notifying us of a 20% increase in rent due to sharp increase in the cost of building materials.

Nairalanders, this is a house built over 5yrs ago! am using 5yrs atleast to be fair!!!

How can cost of materials now lead to an increase in rent for a flat that wasn't just built?

Pls what do i do? should i confront him? should i write back? Paying that will amount to about 500k plus and the house isn't worth that much in a place like Bariga!

Candid advice needed
Lalasticlala

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by shakyriri: 9:50pm On Apr 23, 2016
May Allah provide for u.pay if u can.then start scouting next year when rent is due.frankly the 20% increase versus the agreement n commission on a new place is a factor to consider.all d best

19 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Oooops: 11:36pm On Apr 23, 2016
shakyriri:
May Allah provide for u.pay if u can.then start scouting next year when rent is due.frankly the 20% increase versus the agreement n commission on a new place is a factor to consider.all d best
Thanks bro... i appreciate
I just think it is a nice way of saying i should pack by the landlord.... i think that is his intentions!

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by ladyF(f): 6:28am On Apr 24, 2016
Eeyah....me still dey under that bridge o, rent free grin Say NO to landlord exploitation.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by TippyTop(m): 6:28am On Apr 24, 2016
Am afraid everything is going up including the bank balances of Mr and Mrs Buhari.

The only thing coming down is our quality of life.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by allisonluvsu(m): 6:29am On Apr 24, 2016
hmmmm.... Leave his house. Thats the best alternative, and consider going to a smaller apartment while you save up the excesses and start building your own house to avoid repetition

14 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Teespice(f): 6:29am On Apr 24, 2016
write back to your landlord that you cannot afford the rent and the increase is unacceptable.

can be done through your lawyer if you have one.

15 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Goodnuel: 6:30am On Apr 24, 2016
It's been happening for long.

Staying back may be better for now.

God go help you build your own, but don't treat others like your present landlord when the the time comes.

*Every man will be tested.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Bisjosh(f): 6:31am On Apr 24, 2016
Go and rent somewhere else na abi dem tie your placenta for that place?

The landlord don taya for una that's why e dey try evict stylishly and una no even know grin

But seriously op; when last did the landlord increase rent before this cos you cannot expect to be paying an amount for 5 years

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by GoldenJAT(m): 6:31am On Apr 24, 2016
some people are so inconsiderate... wickedness runs in their vein.. bros pack!!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by kirchofff(m): 6:32am On Apr 24, 2016
OP, was it stated in the agreement that the house rent could be increased by 20% after some years ? If it wasn't stated u can get a legal practitioner..........cheers

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by ochallo: 6:32am On Apr 24, 2016
Start looking for another place ASAP

Meanwhile beyonces sixth album lemonade is out. I am not a zombie or a wailer but I can shamelessly tell you I'm one of the beyhives.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Shawlambivert(m): 6:37am On Apr 24, 2016
Nawa for all this endtime landlords. To me, you can be civil about it. Discuss it with him. There's a way you can get your message across to him. And in between, I hope you are not those kinda tenants that owes a lot. If not,he is indirectly giving you a quit notice. God will provide for you your choice property in your choice area soon
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Nobody: 6:38am On Apr 24, 2016
Very funny,the landlord deserves an award..

Greediest landlord ever liveth.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Chinaka2014(m): 6:39am On Apr 24, 2016
Then You quit if the house is not worth it and don't still in someone property to question his authority if he increase his property because of high cost in building materials, at least he maintains the property with the current rent of building materials cost therfore his claim is right.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Nobody: 6:47am On Apr 24, 2016
Lol..
Your landlord na original Con-man
Taking advantage of d situation

But on a serious note,if u cant pay,u leave..
Though i dnt buy d idea of d landlord tying d rent increase to cost of building materials but a landlord has d statutory right to increase his house rent (after a reasonable period) in order to keep pace with inflation.. unless,of course, d lease agreement states otherwise.. its called rent review

& we all know how tins are expensive nowadays.. so its somehow necessary
#TheOracleHasSpoken

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by mayorkyzo: 6:48am On Apr 24, 2016
It's his house...and he can review the rent anytime he likes as long as he gives u notice at the right time...if you can't pay just look for another house...don't let people telling you to look for a legal adviser deceive you....

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Bisjosh(f): 6:49am On Apr 24, 2016
Chinaka2014:
Then You quit if the house is not worth it and don't still in someone property to question his authority if he increase his property because of high cost in building materials, at least he maintains the property with the current rent of building materials cost therfore his claim is right.

Help me tell him o

I will increase my own this year by 25% after four good years.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by tuoyoojo(m): 6:51am On Apr 24, 2016
am sure oga landlord is building another house somewhere and rent is one of the means of income required

bros, if u know u can't pay. na to quietly move out o

or u vex build ur house and rent it out and never at any time increase the rent

if you go in legal battle with him. d money u go finally spend go pass that 20 percent increase

its a few economy..... capitalism baby!

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Stanleyafam(m): 6:55am On Apr 24, 2016
People always blame the landlord and term them "wicked" I'm a landlord and I knw what I go through in the hands of tenants, they are the most wicked and stubborn set of people..im sure u'r landlord maintains this said house, and mind u, rent is increased at least every 3 years if the landlord desires..

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Bisjosh(f): 6:56am On Apr 24, 2016
Stanleyafam:
People always blame the landlord and term them "wicked" I'm a landlord and I knw what I go through in the hands of tenants, they are the most wicked and stubborn set of people..im sure u'r landlord maintains this said house, and mind u, rent is increased at least every 3 years if the landlord desires..

No, he wants to be paying at same rate for 10yrs grin cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by BoleynDynaSTY(f): 6:57am On Apr 24, 2016
Wickedness
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by adesegun121(m): 7:03am On Apr 24, 2016
shocked shocked shocked

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by realomonile: 7:04am On Apr 24, 2016
shocked shocked shocked

1ST & 2ND PICTURES

A plot of land located at Akesan Lagos state Along Lasu iyana iba going for 1.5m negotiable

Direct seller...

Serious buyer should call/whatsapp 08085310359, 09054800167

3RD & 4TH (PICTURES)

Hello Nairalanders, i have this land facing Lasu iba express way all round fenced for sale at rate of 70million Naira Negotiable,

Available document: Family Receipt, survey plan,

Side attract: facing expressway, close to Lagos state university, close to Iba New site estate and alot more

NOTE: This is dry Land...

Good for filling Station, churches, shopping mall,event center,schools and lot more..

Serious Buyer should contact Whatsapp/call 08085310359 For inspection or call 08033588797

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by ceejay80s(m): 7:04am On Apr 24, 2016
So....ir the economy is ok again and prices of building material falls, will he reduce the house rent back?
Help me ask am that question

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by marlockj: 7:04am On Apr 24, 2016
Teespice:
write back to your landlord that you cannot afford the rent and the increase is unacceptable.

can be done through your lawyer if you have one.

Funny girl the owner of the house said u shuld pay this or leave....your wasting money on a lawyer, telling him you can't pay n unacceptable... in someone's house?

this is hilarious.... when you knw the landlord will still throw you out...

Instead of you to advice him to pack out,ur telling him to use a lawyer...

A lawyer Dat will alwys tell u Dat Dat is a good idea,even wen he knows d owner of the house will gv him notice and move him out....

What do you guys think...

Op shuld save money move to a smaller house n also build his own house...
when he finish buying,he shuld increase d rent wen he needs money let one of his tenant write through a lawyer saying he can't pay also.....

Funny Ppl wen Ppl are looking for house everywhere.. ur telling ur landlord Dat u can't pay....

Sometimes I wonder Wat Ppl take landlords for...someone built his house for business, Wich has option of pay or leave....someone hard earn money ohhh....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by banme1(m): 7:04am On Apr 24, 2016
Stanleyafam:
in this case u want to blame the tenant I guess. Evil landlord

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by tomdon(m): 7:04am On Apr 24, 2016
Oooops:
My landlord just delivered a letter from his lawyer notifying us of a 20% increase in rent due to sharp increase in the cost of building materials.

Nairalanders, this is a house built over 5yrs ago! am using 5yrs atleast to be fair!!!

How can cost of materials now lead to an increase in rent for a flat that wasn't just built?

Pls what do i do? should i confront him? should i write back? Paying that will amount to about 500k plus and the house isn't worth that much in a place like Bariga!

Candid advice needed
Lalasticlala

don't pay if you don't mind moving to a new place.
you have the right to stay in that house for extra 6 months while you search for a new place

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by McBrooklyn(m): 7:13am On Apr 24, 2016
OP, Thought you can always pack out now cos if not that the furking landlord is high on Osogbo weed, how will the high cost of building materials be affecting an already built house?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by marlockj: 7:15am On Apr 24, 2016
tomdon:

don't pay if you don't mind moving to a new place.
you have the right to stay in that house for extra 7 months while you search for a new place

D law says he shuld not pay,Bt stay in d house free for 7mnths? Lol

Where did you read ur own from?

you guys shuld stop advising dis guy wrongly... There is nothing Lik staying in someone's house free...

He has been notified of the increment... it is his own option to pay the new rent or move to a new place wen d rent is due....

Evn wen ur been given notice to quit... if ur owing u will still pay n cost of action too....

Stop negative advice... some tenant are d reason landlord go to juju to send dem out....I Hv seen where a woman was chased out with juju...her apartment was fill with snakes....it was so much Dat snake fill ceiling break it... Infact everywhere in d house...

U need to see d crowd who went to see this....

Avoid trouble from Ppl who use their last kobo to build their house, while u use urs to carry girls or waste.....

Life is too short

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by OlujobaSamuel: 7:19am On Apr 24, 2016
@op, you said 5years, that's more than enough time for you to expect an increase in rent. just pay up or move out. lawyer will always tell you that you have a good case if you have the money, when cash finish for your pocket, your good case turns to.......?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fire Razes Down Richbam Filling Station,Bariga Lagos(photos) / Steel Security Doors,armored Doors,turkey Doors,wooden Door,kitchen &toilet Door / I JUST WONDER WHY INVESTORS WILL NOT INVEST ON THIS PROFIT LANDS (WHY)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.