Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Lagos Landlord Palava - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Landlord Palava (13859 Views)

Lagos Landlord Shocked To See Prepared Meters In Mud Houses In Ghana / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Lagos Landlord Forcefully Ejecting Erring Tenants From His House (video) (2) (3) (4)

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Orikinla(m): 7:34am On Apr 24, 2016
Endtime landlord. Many landlords are demonic. Beware of them.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Emeskhalifa(m): 7:35am On Apr 24, 2016
ochallo:
Start looking for another place ASAP

Meanwhile beyonces fifth album lemonade is out. I am not a zombie or a wailer but I can shamelessly tell you I'm one of the beyhives.
Beehives u mean??
well tht makes the two of us
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by AfroKnight: 7:41am On Apr 24, 2016
The lawyer was right. The value of the property has appreciated and the rent should go up likewise. If he kept the amount the same for 5 years, then he is a very considerate landlord in this Lagos of today.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Reference(m): 7:43am On Apr 24, 2016
ceejay80s:
So....ir the economy is ok again and prices of building material falls, will he reduce the house rent back?
Help me ask am that question

Where have you ever seen the price of things fall. Inflation related price increases are irreversible. It is like saying the naira can become at par with the dollar as in the eighties. It can never happen no matter how good the economy becomes. For that to happen there will be years of deflation which is worse than inflation. For starters will you ever agree to a pay cut to help the economy?

The OP should know that the landlord is looking at the big economic picture. The value of his asset is declining, his purchasing power is declining in real terms so he must increase his income to keep up. If inflation is 12 % year on year. Expect another rent hike in January 2019. It is only fair. He cannot subsidize your life. He is not government.

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Idris222: 7:46am On Apr 24, 2016
Hmmmmmmm Go and get land cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy shocked cool cool cool cool cool cool tongue tongue undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Teespice(f): 7:50am On Apr 24, 2016
marlockj:

Funny girl the owner of the house said u shuld pay this or leave....your wasting money on a lawyer tell him you can't pay n unacceptable... in someone's house?

this is hilarious.... when you knw the landlord will still throw you out...

Instead of you to advice him to pack out ur telling him to use a lawyer...

A lawyer Dat will alwys tell u Dat Dat is a good idea,even wen he knows d other of the house will gv him notice and move him out....

What do you guys think...

Op shuld save money move to a smaller house n also build his own house...
when he finish buying,he shuld increase d rent wen he needs money let one of his tenant write through a lawyer saying he can't pay also.....

Funny Ppl wen Ppl are looking for house everywhere.. ur telling ur landlord Dat u can't pay....

Sometimes I wonder Wat Ppl take landlords for...someone building his house for business, Wich has option of pay or leave....someone hard earn money ohhh....

all this sermon on the mount for a three lined post.

Choi. the struggle is real though.

I gave him the advice because it happened to my dad few years ago and he replied back through his lawyer and nothing else happened after that.

calm down and stop hyperventilating biko.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 24, 2016
Hello poster, I am a lawyer, pls answer the following questions.
1. When was the last time the landlord increased the rent? (because according to the law he can review rent every two years but you must agree to the increase before it will be implemented. If you think the rent is excessive you can try negotiating through your lawyer.)

2. Is the landlord responsible for the upkeep of the compound, security and other peaceful enjoyment qualities you enjoy in the apartment?

3. What is the average rent of your type of apartment in that area?
4. Were you given a contract? What does it say about rent increase. I always make sure that a rent increase negotiating clause is included in my clients contract. This way the landlord cannot increase without inviting the tenants to deliberate on the issue. Any increase without notice will be nullified in court or tribunal.
5. Do you like the house ? Are you a family man? Do you have kids? Is your work place close?.

YUSUF.J add me on WhatsApp for a more candid explanation 08061303796
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by tabontabon: 7:57am On Apr 24, 2016
Start Working Towards Becoming A Landlord Too.Paying Almost 500k In Rent Every Year Is Not Wise.
Oooops:

Thanks bro... i appreciative.
I just think it is a nice way of saying i should pack by the landlord.... i think that is his intentions!
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Atlantian: 8:02am On Apr 24, 2016
Houses require maintenance and that is affected by Buhari's economy. Try and pay, this is a result of the change you voted for.

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by basadenet: 8:02am On Apr 24, 2016
It is cheaper to stay put than going over stress your self. New apartment will cost you more. You can negotiate if possible to 10 or 15%. Goodluck
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by samsam2019: 8:04am On Apr 24, 2016
Your landlord is a self centred bastard for increasing rent at this time.

But don't listen to those telling you to sue him. He's the Lord of the land and house, he has every right to increase rent at anytime. It is you who will know how to talk to him or leave his house

If in my own house a tenant is trying to take me to court in a house I built with my money sweat and blood I'll just jazz him and he will run mad

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by basadenet: 8:09am On Apr 24, 2016
[quote author=samsam2019 post=44988719]Your landlord is a self centred bastard for increasing rent at this time.

But don't listen to those telling you to sue him. He's the Lord of the land and house, he has every right to increase rent at anytime. It is you who will know how to talk to him or leave his house

If in my own house a tenant is trying to take me to court in a house I built with my money sweat and blood I'll just jazz him and he will run mad [/quote
That person is also s human bieng like you. Supposing you jazz him and the thing backfire on you. May God forgive you.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by armadeo(m): 8:17am On Apr 24, 2016
Guy negotiate wih him directly. If you like the house pay if not move out.

It's his house and he notified you duly. Maybe he has even found new tenants and wants you to move out.

It is well.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by 4C2215131: 8:22am On Apr 24, 2016
Goodnuel:
It's been happening for long.

Staying back may be better for now.

God go help you build your own, but don't treat others like your present landlord when the the time comes.

*Every man will be tested.

Word!

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by samsam2019: 8:23am On Apr 24, 2016
[quote author=basadenet post=44988831][/quote]I know. But why would he sue his landlord? Believe me, I understand what tenants go thru dealing with crazy landlords but it's still not worth suing him.

I k kw some landlords with no income besides the house which they built with gratuity and pension. Nkw imagine a young man with more resources dragging them to court just to bully them because he has more money? Believe me I would do anything to deal with him
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by eugoala(m): 8:26am On Apr 24, 2016
I advice any tenant to endeavour to buy a plot of land and start planning to develop it,one cannot continue to pay rent Cox at d rate landlords are increasing the rent of houses,its will get to a point when u r house rent will be equal to your annual salary.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by greenlegs(m): 8:27am On Apr 24, 2016
Well I don't think when the house was built matter. The fact is that now the landlord will spend more money on maintenance and renovation. So if he has giving you adequate time nd u cn meet up with the bill it's ok..bt if not then you know what to do..
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by 4C2215131: 8:30am On Apr 24, 2016
Bisjosh:

No, he wants to be paying at same rate for 10yrs grin cheesy

Why all the smirking and smugness. It's not in good taste. It's so impolite having fun at someone's unfortunate predicament never minding whether You're right or not.

You have said your piece, let the OP decide.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by 4C2215131: 8:33am On Apr 24, 2016
marlockj:

D law says he shuld not pay,Bt stay in d house free for 7mnths? Lol

Where did you read ur own from?

you guys shuld stop advising dis guy wrongly... There is nothing Lik staying in someone's house free...

He has been notified of the increment... it is his own option to pay the new rent or move to a new place wen d rent is due....

Evn wen ur been given notice to quit... if ur owing u will still pay n cost of action too....

Stop negative advice... some tenant are d reason landlord go to juju to send dem out....I Hv seen where a woman was chased out with juju...her apartment was fill with snakes....it was so much Dat snake fill ceiling break it... Infact everywhere in d house...

U need to see d crowd who went to see this....

Avoid trouble from Ppl who use their last kobo to build their house, while u use urs to carry girls or waste.....

Life is too short

Hehehehe... Hahahaha...!
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by cybriz82(m): 8:38am On Apr 24, 2016
Amen.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Oooops: 8:41am On Apr 24, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:
@op, you said 5years, that's more than enough time for you to expect an increase in rent. just pay up or move out. lawyer will always tell you that you have a good case if you have the money, when cash finish for your pocket, your good case turns to.......?

I've not stayed for 5yrs, i packed in last year!!! but the house has been built over 5yrs now!!
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Oooops: 8:45am On Apr 24, 2016
armadeo:
Guy negotiate wih him directly. If you like the house pay if not move out.

It's his house and he notified you duly. Maybe he has even found new tenants and wants you to move out.

It is well.

My rent expires next month!!! He sent in the letter yesterday.... That is not fair! knowing i already have a budget for the rent as usual!!! now he wants an increment and i have just less than a month notice!
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by shhladyj(f): 8:56am On Apr 24, 2016
this is jst an indirect way of asking u to leave d hox.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by einsteino(m): 9:04am On Apr 24, 2016
Oooops:

My rent expires next month!!! He sent in the letter yesterday.... That is not fair! knowing i already have a budget for the rent as usual!!! now he wants an increment and i have just less than a month notice!

It doesnt matter if he built the house 200yrs ago. It makes sense that he from time to time adjust his rent to reflect the rebased value of his house in the present economy. Its simple economics. However not giving you at least 8months notice is wicked. Unfortunately this is Nigeria, even if you decide to get a lawyer, you would end up spending far more than the increment. Also i dont think you would be comfortable or safe living in that house against the landlords wish, the law wont save you from the spiritual.

The way I see it, you should politely try and make him understand your plight. Diplomacy helps. But start scouting for a new house after this.

Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Ilaje44(m): 9:09am On Apr 24, 2016
Chinaka2014:
Then You quit if the house is not worth it and don't still in someone property to question his authority if he increase his property because of high cost in building materials, at least he maintains the property with the current rent of building materials cost therfore his claim is right.

What kind of thinking is this? Because it is his house so the landlord shouldn't be challenged for 1. the idiotic reason he's increasing the house rent? 2. the greedy increment rate?

Were you there? What maintenance is he doing without informing the tenant beforehand, and just wake up to increase the rent by 20%?

What kind of people has the country brought forth? What a lawless jungle.

Look young man, if you have a lawyer, let your lawyer do the job. And if worse comes to worst, I would find a new place, and won't pay him a dime for the next 3 months. What a gigantically stupendously stupid reason to increase house rent.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by dinggle: 9:14am On Apr 24, 2016
We have to be objective here!...it takes all to make a system work.
My first question; what you do for a living? did you increase the cost for your service or price of goods you sell??
If yes, you are part of the problem....I'm not trying to blame you but make you see how we got where we are. Your landlord might have built is house 5 or 10 years ago, but his living expenses and services are priced at today's rate.... carpenters, plumbers, electricians have all increased their rates, which is wrong... increasing local service rate base on dollar exchange rate is an absolute disservice to Nigeria. The only time we should increase service rate is when govt increases salary for workers not on exchange rate. What we should all do to support Nigeria is to boycott anything foreign...that is how we help one another and force importer to comply or loose.

Next!...there is noway around the increment your best possible action is to write back and request for a phase increment of 10% this year and 20% next year, that time could help you plan for possible relocation and weigh your option better or consider shared renting.
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by Longman313(m): 9:15am On Apr 24, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by ogawisdom(m): 9:21am On Apr 24, 2016
Oooops:

Write him insisting he gives you six months notice, meaning u will pay the new rate after ur next rent
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by nkemjacob2(m): 9:22am On Apr 24, 2016
Stanleyafam:
People always blame the landlord and term them "wicked" I'm a landlord and I knw what I go through in the hands of tenants, they are the most wicked and stubborn set of people..im sure u'r landlord maintains this said house, and mind u, rent is increased at least every 3 years if the landlord desires..

oga land lord God will save us from the hands of u pple, "every 3 years house rent is increased" time shall come when you begin to eat your house....
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by grandstar(m): 10:03am On Apr 24, 2016
McBrooklyn:
OP, Thought you can always pack out now cos if not that the furking landlord is high on Osogbo weed, how will the high cost of building materials be affecting an already built house?
Time value of money!
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by 0ubenji(m): 10:16am On Apr 24, 2016
I can bet all I've got...that landlord is a semi-literate Yoruba native..
#striking idiosyncrasies
Re: Lagos Landlord Palava by 0ubenji(m): 10:22am On Apr 24, 2016
AfroKnight:
The lawyer was right. The value of the property has appreciated and the rent should go up likewise. If he kept the amount the same for 5 years, then he is a very considerate landlord in this Lagos of today.

no1 disputes DAT bros..
u r missing d vital point in dis..lol
HIS EXCUSE FOR A RENT INCREASE IS SUPER-LAME

no1 wud beat him if his rent skyrockets for whatever reason.. its his ause remember?
juz DAT dis very one is hilarious enuf to earn him a shot at d next edition of AY LIVE

How to properly tile your build. / Modern House Plan In Nigeria / Fire Razes Down Richbam Filling Station,Bariga Lagos(photos)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57