Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,720 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First (554 Views)

Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent / Countries You Should Never ever Visit in your life time / 15 Horrifying Websites You Should Never Ever Visit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by DrAda(f): 5:35am On Apr 25, 2016
the locality where I practice, it is very rare to see a parent (who isn't a health worker) visit the hospital first for any health care need concerning their child. Usually, by the time they do arrive at the hospital, they had gone to either one or two other places for answers, only ever coming to the hospital because the illness had either persisted or gotten worse.

Out of curiosity,when I enquire where they had visited before hand, the most common answer I get is that they had gone to the "chemist", a name popularly referred to untrained road side drug vendors who have mastered the art of peddling drugs. These chemists are also known by other names like pharmacists or doctors by the locals. The popular belief is that anyone who sells drugs should also have an idea of who and what the drugs are for. Sadly, this is hardly ever the case.

The second popular choice is to solicit for the help of "nurses". These are people who over time have garnered some skills while working in health care centers. These set of people are patronized for more invasive forms of treatment like injections and minor surgeries. Their councel are widely trusted and they deliver relatively affordable home care. We usually get most of our oral based referrals from these nurses, with parents having no clear idea of what the diagnosis was or the exact treatment recieved.

Interestingly, this practice is not restricted to any particular social class, rather it cuts across all norms: the poor, rich, educated and non-educated, prompting the pertinent question, why is this so?

The leading reasons offered by parents on why they hardly ever patronize the hospitals first are as follows in no particular order

Protocols: From registration, payment of bills, getting a card, waiting in an over-crowded room for your turn to see the nurse before seeing a doctor. Being sent to the laboratory for tests before the drugs are prescribed and then finally visiting the pharmacy store to purchase said drugs. The protocols listed can take hours, with a not too friendly personnel contributing to a long and stressful day.

High Cost: Visiting the chemists only requires you to buy the drugs with free 'consultation', and for "nurses" paying an extra little token for their services. In the hospitlas however, the bills are a tad bit higher since additional costs of getting a patient's cards, lab tests, time spent and drugs are factored in if seen on an outpatient basis. This increases exponenetially if an admission is needed for proper care. Not many parents can afford this thus they avoid the hospitals until it is too late.

Distance from home and Poor Transport system: I would say that this is the major reason why many parents dont come for follow ups. The transport facilities are uncomfortable and expensive. Those who live in the villages face an additional burden of long distances and poor road network.

Lack of empathy: Parents believe that most doctors lack empathy for their plight. We are judged to be interested in the disease first and person later. This is in sharp contrast to the chemists who rely mostly on empathy to retain their customers. We can improve a Patient's quality of life by reaching out first to their humanity.

Without a doubt, the hospital system and quality of care provided needs to be evaluated to improve health care services delivered to the populace. In addition, the Government can help lighten this burden by providing access to good roads and adequate transport facilities. Until we do this, the poor health seeking behavior of parents towards their child's health needs will persist leading to increased sickness and deaths.

http://www.kiddiesmatters.com/2016/04/why-nigerian-parents-hardly-ever-visit.html?m=1
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by Nobody: 6:14am On Apr 25, 2016
Not every parent though sad
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by Man90(m): 6:23am On Apr 25, 2016
Unclassified assumption
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by feldido(m): 6:37am On Apr 25, 2016
You are not far from the truth... I'm also guilty of it cos I hate the smell of hospitals. grin
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by DrAda(f): 6:42am On Apr 25, 2016
Man90:
Unclassified assumption
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by DrAda(f): 6:43am On Apr 25, 2016
SnakeXenzia:
Not every parent though sad
I know dear. Some do come but many more dont
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by Galacious1: 6:46am On Apr 25, 2016
My mom didn't trust anyone when it comes to health issues. She had witnessed several cases where patients had to pay with their lives for health workers' negligence.

She used to be a mid-wife in the 80s and as a result I never knew what the inside of a hospital looked like when she was alive.

Au revoir mama
Re: Why Nigerian Parents Hardly Ever Visit The Hospital First by MilesLamar(m): 7:33am On Apr 25, 2016
cry No money

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Push Africa Center For Capacity Present 8weeks Media And Journalism Training / Check Here For UNICEF/SPIC Examination Question & Answaer With Full Payment Deta / Register Your Course Or No Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.