Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,165 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! (24991 Views)

Career Choice: Advice Me / Help!!!!! Advice On Career Choice Pls / We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Oshotse21(m): 8:46am On Apr 26, 2016
Go ask Obama

1 Like

Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by juman(m): 8:47am On Apr 26, 2016
Hiss

This is not a good country.
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 26, 2016
diegwu01:
You make it sound so easy with the promotions.
Hehehehehe I gotta encourage the young chap y'know.
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by nwadiuko1(m): 8:48am On Apr 26, 2016
AgentGoat:
how?
I l give you my dad's number so you ask him your self
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by AgentGoat: 8:52am On Apr 26, 2016
nwadiuko1:
I l give you my dad's number so you ask him your self
ok
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Shigoboy(m): 8:53am On Apr 26, 2016
amtaken:
Look for USA or Canadian visa and join the USA army or Canadian Army. Thank me later.

Nobody should come preach patriotism here for me. The Nigerian Government does not care for our soldiers. They are so neglected and mostly die like fowls and the Government refuses to pay adequate compensation to their families.

is it that easy to get American or Canadian visa?
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by udeme67(m): 8:59am On Apr 26, 2016
Guy join the Nigeria Police

1 Like

Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by fagbalex(m): 9:42am On Apr 26, 2016
I think dss is more respected than the Nigeria army, I will rather go for dss tjan to go for army.
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by HolyHero: 9:43am On Apr 26, 2016
MyMouth:
Guy, go join the NIA!!!!! That is the best security agency!
they are under the office of the NSA.. And i dont know how they recruit.. Honestly i prefer NIA
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by streamsofjoy(f): 10:00am On Apr 26, 2016
Hmmmm. So u have come to flaunt how much of connection you have, to the extent that u haven't even finished schooling and u are confused on the job to pick.
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by write2obi(m): 10:21am On Apr 26, 2016
NaijaTalkTown:
DSS is a nice job, you get to do a lot of dirty jobs but expect you and your family to get spied by CIA, MI6 and other major intelligence agency across the globe. Depending on what you did, your life could become miserable after retirement from DSS. The Army is better bro. And know you won't get stuck at Sergeant because after graduating from the university and completing your NYSC program, if you make it to the Army, you will start at the rank of 2nd Lieutenant and you will remain there for 18 months before you get promoted to the rank of a Lieutenant. Depending on how well you perform, you can be placed as a Platoon Leader. Platoon Leaders are normally within the Lieutenant and 2nd Lieutenant ranks. After two years (that is, 3 years and 6 months), you become eligible to get a promotion to the rank of Captain and this of course will depend on your performance as a Lieutenant. After 3 years you become eligible to get a promotion to the rank of Major.
See as the thing they sweet you for mouth grin grin . No be Nigeria we dey again grin
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by amtaken(f): 10:22am On Apr 26, 2016
I wouldn't know because I don't need a visa to go to USA or Canada.

Check with travelling agents.

Shigoboy:
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by amtaken(f): 10:25am On Apr 26, 2016
bigtt76:
I thought this is for only US citizens? Please enlighten me more on how possible this is.

How to Join the U.S. Army If You Are Not a U.S. Citizen
by Molly Thompson, Demand Media

Uncle Sam wants you -- as long as you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent legal resident of the U.S. Non-citizens can join the U.S. Army as an enlisted soldier, providing they meet specific legal immigration requirements. Non-citizens are not eligible to become commissioned officers in the U.S. military, and they may also be barred from certain Military Occupational Specialties, or job categories; particularly those requiring security clearances.

Step 1
Be a permanent legal resident living in the U.S. with permission to work in the country. Neither tourist nor student visas are sufficient for enlistment in the U.S. military, and undocumented immigrants are not eligible to join the U.S. military. Non-citizens must also meet the same standards of physical fitness and education as U.S. citizens seeking to enlist.

Step 2
Have a valid Permanent Residence Card -- form I-551 (popularly known as a Green Card) -- to prove your legal resident status. If you don't have a current I-551, you have to show proof that you have applied for renewed status, such as an original receipt from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services showing you have paid for the renewal application -- form I–90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident.

Step 3
Apply to join the enlisted ranks of the U.S. Army. You will not be permitted to begin formal military training until your legal permanent resident status is established. Your Permanent Residence Card must be valid for the duration of your enlistment.

Step 4
Apply for U.S. citizenship if you want to be eligible to reenlist beyond your initial service commitment or to become a commissioned Army officer. Although the normal path to citizenship requires a legal resident to maintain that status for at least five years while living and working in the U.S., the military offers an accelerated program that takes about 10 months.
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 26, 2016
write2obi:

See as the thing they sweet you for mouth grin grin . No be Nigeria we dey again grin
A B.sc holder with NYSC certificate starts from the rank of 2nd Lieutenant in the Army if they get recruited. That is a fact! And they get promoted after 18 months, they always get promoted without hindrance or delay. Those who joined through NDA gets their promotion just 6 months after being recruited. It starts to get though from the rank of Lieutenant but in the Nigerian Army, Captains are regularly picked based on their performances as Lieutenants. But it gets really though to get promoted from the rank of Captain. In fact, 70% of retired Nigerian Soldiers did not make it to the rank of Major (the rank after Captain). 90% of those who made it are either NDA graduates or B.sc holders. I did not in anyway try to make it sound easy. The op has love for the job and I shared ideas with him. Nothing wrong with that
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by amtaken(f): 10:50am On Apr 26, 2016

Uncle Sam wants you -- as long as you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent legal resident of the U.S. Non-citizens can join the U.S. Army as an enlisted soldier, providing they meet specific legal immigration requirements. Non-citizens are not eligible to become commissioned officers in the U.S. military, and they may also be barred from certain Military Occupational Specialties, or job categories; particularly those requiring security clearances.

Step 1
Be a permanent legal resident living in the U.S. with permission to work in the country. Neither tourist nor student visas are sufficient for enlistment in the U.S. military, and undocumented immigrants are not eligible to join the U.S. military. Non-citizens must also meet the same standards of physical fitness and education as U.S. citizens seeking to enlist.

Step 2
Have a valid Permanent Residence Card -- form I-551 (popularly known as a Green Card) -- to prove your legal resident status. If you don't have a current I-551, you have to show proof that you have applied for renewed status, such as an original receipt from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services showing you have paid for the renewal application -- form I–90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident.

Step 3
Apply to join the enlisted ranks of the U.S. Army. You will not be permitted to begin formal military training until your legal permanent resident status is established. Your Permanent Residence Card must be valid for the duration of your enlistment.

Step 4
Apply for U.S. citizenship if you want to be eligible to reenlist beyond your initial service commitment or to become a commissioned Army officer. Although the normal path to citizenship requires a legal resident to maintain that status for at least five years while living and working in the U.S., the military offers an accelerated program that takes about 10 months.

ghostofsparta:

Don't mind them, I've often stress Nigerians who shout patriotism don't know the true meaning of that term, in fact many all of them who are quick to swing that word are hypocrites and liars who first deny the amalgamation upon entering America or Europe when asked by an average Joe where in Africa is he/she from. In as much as I love the military, joining an non-serious one such as the type in Nigeria discourage me. Do you know the 'how to' of joining the US / Canadian army ?
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by amtaken(f): 10:50am On Apr 26, 2016
Shigoboy:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by bigtt76(f): 11:09am On Apr 26, 2016
Thanks dear buh Step 1 and Step 2 though grin

amtaken:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by HolyHero: 12:02pm On Apr 26, 2016
yomi007k:

Lanre, u carry ds matter come nairaland again. Na wah oo
brother no vex.. I just needed more advice and opinions of others
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by alaskido(m): 2:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
My guy flee from DSS o. Army is okay if you have the liver to fight Boko boys, sea pirates, pipeline vandals and militants. For me I like where I dey o. Oil and Gas (corporate office boy) grin
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Prime4Val(m): 3:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
Bros abeg who you be?
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by ewa20buredi100: 10:20am On Apr 27, 2016
bibiking7:

Join the Airforce. You'll never regret it. smiley.

But if you want real action and want to push it a step further, cos you sound like you like action and adventure and danger and stuff, go to France and join the french foreign legion. They pay well, you will be given a new name, good equipments. They accept everybody, even ex-cons. They are the guys van damme did a movie about.

Please Navy and Airforce, which one has better retirement plans and which one can a person easily build a career on should incase the person decides to leave the force?
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by sahm4u2nv(m): 7:42am On Apr 28, 2016
wildchild1:
Military is divided into 3 arms: Nigerian Army, Nigerian Air force and Nigerian Navy, The Form for officers in Air force has closed, Army is on going and Navy will be out before the end of the year.
Air force is the most organised of the 3 but Navy have more money and Army is the least of the 3 but easiest to join and Navy is the hardest to join.

No job like a military job man, trust me. Have been asking myself,can I do another job aside a military one? Hmmmm only time will tell grin Good luck with yours

P'S: don't know anything about DSS except from the dirty jobs they do for government in power
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by sahm4u2nv(m): 8:04am On Apr 28, 2016
NaijaTalkTown:
A B.sc holder with NYSC certificate starts from the rank of 2nd Lieutenant in the Army if they get recruited. That is a fact! And they get promoted after 18 months, they always get promoted without hindrance or delay. Those who joined through NDA gets their promotion just 6 months after being recruited. It starts to get though from the rank of Lieutenant but in the Nigerian Army, Captains are regularly picked based on their performances as Lieutenants. But it gets really though to get promoted from the rank of Captain. In fact, 70% of retired Nigerian Soldiers did not make it to the rank of Major (the rank after Captain). 90% of those who made it are either NDA graduates or B.sc holders. I did not in anyway try to make it sound easy. The op has love for the job and I shared ideas with him. Nothing wrong with that
bro do you know about their salary/allowance?
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Nobody: 8:57am On Apr 28, 2016
sahm4u2nv:

bro do you know about their salary/allowance?
A quick search on google will give you an answer but I doubt if those answers provided are correct. I know a noncommissioned Private that was recruited December 2015 and he got paid 40k. Something tells me he got up to 48k. You can check the link below to see the answer that I feel is correct or at least almost correct.

www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/see-the-salary-structure-of-the-nigerian-army.185775/
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by sahm4u2nv(m): 6:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
NaijaTalkTown:
A quick search on google will give you an answer but I doubt if those answers provided are correct. I know a noncommissioned Private that was recreated December 2015 and he got paid 40k. Something tells me he got up to 48k. You can check the link below to see the answer that I feel is correct or at least almost correct.

www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/see-the-salary-structure-of-the-nigerian-army.185775/
chair,that's pretty small,thanks bro
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Nostradamus: 2:34am On Dec 15, 2019
Which one did you later chose?
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Albertone(m): 8:38pm On Jun 30, 2020
HolyHero:
Dear nairalanders

i am about to make one of the most important decision of my life.. If not the most important..

I have always have passion for military and security jobs... I love the adventure and pride that comes with the job..

Though i am aware that the nature of the job is not like call of duty or frontline commando where you can come back to life after getting killed.. I still love the job

to the main deal... Now i told my uncle who happens to be a high ranking DSS officer that i would like to be a DSS operative when i graduate from the university... He said the DSS doesn't recruit like any other security agencies and that their selection and training procedures are tough... But i am optimistic i can pass...

Now the main issue is that this evening a friend of mine advise me to join the army.. He argued that the army is way better than the DSS.

I am kind of confuse and i need your suggestions and advice..

Between the directorate of state security and the Nigerian Army.. Which one is better in terms of:

1. Equipment
2, training
3. Respect and prestige
4. Career security
5. Professionalism
6. Funding

nairalanders please suggest and give reason..

Cc Lalasticala,
Did you later join any??

I'm guessing 'No'
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by HolyHero: 1:33am On Jul 04, 2020
Albertone:
Did you later join any??

I'm guessing 'No'
You’re fvcking right yo
Re: Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! by Albertone(m): 2:42pm On Jul 05, 2020
HolyHero:

You’re fvcking right yo
Lol

I thought as much!

You shouldn't have let that passion died like that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Policewoman Hailed For Controlling Traffic Under Heavy Rain In Port Harcourt / 20 Things 20-year-olds Dont Get / 7 Types Of Bosses In Nigeria's Corporate Outfits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.