Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,645 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (81992 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ebos(m): 3:55pm On Jul 30, 2007
@charlione

The most important thing is the information. whether cut or join, the message is clear and educative.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by spikedcylinder: 8:16am On Jul 31, 2007
I am not a secretary or PA but this is a very educative and interesting thread. Kudos to the professionals!! smiley
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Bioshow: 2:07pm On Aug 01, 2007
Hi All,

I am really enjoying this forum and it makes me proud to be a part of this great profession.
Please can someone give me a format to write a good and irresistable CV, things that should be and not to be in it.

I llook forward to get a reply to this i really need it.
it shd contain information for PA or secretary.

Thank you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by LadyM1: 2:19pm On Aug 01, 2007
My ppl, i really dnt understand my oga oh! infact do anyone knw spreadsheet, 4 me i dnw anything on dat pls asist me oh!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:41am On Aug 02, 2007
Spreadsheet has to do with Excel package. What do you want to use if for, before we know what to tell you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by LadyM1: 10:18am On Aug 02, 2007
My dear Morning oh! hope ur nite was peaceful?

I want to use it to run a report showing d graphical chart of event so far.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 2:03pm On Aug 02, 2007
u sure need excel for it.  From Excel click INSERT, from Insert click CHART, then choose the chart  u need.

You will really have to read some tutorial topics (from excel, use office assistant, type in chart it will bring up some tutorial topics on chart ) and do some trial and erro before u will master it.

Good luck.

NB
Most times i use microsoft word for my chart, becuase i can customerise it as i want.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by LadyM1: 5:08pm On Aug 02, 2007
Mypeace, am grateful.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by BENSO(m): 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2007
its me Benso!

Hello guy! i am new in this forum and guess what i am a male secretary and i know what it entails to be one. First, mypeace ure talk make me so proud and i like that so much that ure full of not just quality but also good morals.keep it up.

I ve close to 9yrs exp on this job and at present a conf secretary with a chartered acctg firm, though hope to get a bigger stuff anytime so i dont mind if something big is there for me.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by BENSO(m): 1:17pm On Aug 03, 2007
Lady M.

Spreedsheet is a Microsoft Excel package and u need to open the tutorial for u to get to know better before u can understand it or i ve a book i got as a gift from Chevron, dat will help u a bit while u practise on the system.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2007
Benso,

welcome to the forum and thx for ur compliments.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by aleroaruya(f): 5:27pm On Aug 09, 2007
am also a secretary with 4years experience, work with spreadsheet mondays-saturdays and I can say am an expert in my own way.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ledi(f): 6:30pm On Aug 10, 2007
My Peace,

God will bless you for adding more confident in me for this job. I should say i was born with a secretary talent and now i found my self doing one even after graduating as a health worker, am proud of my job from Receptionist to Customer relations officer which am aiming at secretary. Thank you very much am glad to have u as a colleaque.

Kokoita.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2007
@Ledi, welcom to the forum.

l can understand what u really meant.  l can remember when we were in school, they used to tell us that secretarial admin is meant for drop outs, or people with low IQ. hahahaha, l always tell people that "there are Secretaries and there SECRETARIES."  Please always be confident of yourself and do what you know how to do best. Your skills and competence will sure differentiate you.  Cheers and enjoy yourself in here.

@LadyM
How far?  Hope u are not having much difficulty)
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by kokoita: 6:01pm On Aug 13, 2007
hi my name is stephanie i was invited by a friend ledi
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ayomy: 9:43am On Aug 16, 2007
i just join the forrum. i like all your posts great secretary, but what baffles me most is this banking work, could u believe most of the banks use secretaries as contract staff, infact they rank them with, cleaners, security and others unskilled workers. and the fact remains that they uses you for different kind of jobs,   i am even considering going for different course entirely, i have spent more than five years on secretarial job and people were looking as if this job is not relevant to the society since they can all use computer. I am seriously looking for job now, because i can cope with frustration i am experiencing here. if our profession body can do something about this situation it will be better. i have HND in Secretarial Studies and planning to do Management course in future to complement my Human Resource skill. i am advising graduate secretary not to take contract job with any Company especially banking industries because is frustrating when you see your mate earning higher than u, and somebody is referring to u as ordinary secretary. any response from all sec/pa please. IF THERE IS ANY VACANCY MY Email address is bukola_omolara@yahoo.com. pls i hate contract workooooooooooo
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by yimiton(f): 12:06pm On Aug 16, 2007
Thanks to every one on the thread. I'm reallly impressed. I'm currently in the process of getting my first job as a P.A. to one Oga in a multinational company. I've been reluntant and thinking of keeping my job because of male Oga's wahala but with posts like this, I know this is not necessary anymore. I'm more confident to go ahead and take the job with the know how on how to handle any stubborn Oga. Thumb up guys. cool cool cool
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by initiate: 7:58pm On Aug 16, 2007
hello dear

do you think time spent on the internet affects a PAs job? it may divert our attention you know.

so wat periods do you normally surf the net?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 9:58am On Aug 20, 2007
I welcome all the new comers to the forum

@ Ayomy
l can feel you. But not all secretaries are employed as contract staff in banks. l have a friend at GTB secretary and full time staff, and have one at Access Bank as contract staff. Again Secretaries are not only contract staff in banks, they equally employ other professions as contract staff. Abeg carry your head-up, dont see urself as ORDINARY SECRETARY, you are sure not ORDINARY. You are a professional in your field, and your work is as important as otherer kind of works. Mind you, TYPING is 1/100 of secretarial functions.

@ Initiate
The Bible even says there is time for everthing. l dont have specific time for internet browsing. my system is connected to the internet throughout the day. But l cant be browsing when l have workloads on my table. pls dont allow internet to affect ur job, addiction is bad in everything thing.

CHEERS!!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 6:53am On Aug 24, 2007
Wow!!!, I can see have have missed alot.

I would like to welcome all NEW CLUBER's. I must say it's been very tough out here especially when my boss delivered of a baby girl. I have been very busy lately and this has affected my coming online to post comments.

Mypeace the Lord would continue to increase you and also lift you up. As you have been an asset to people in house so shall God bring men of assets into your life.

To all my colleagues that are married, i say a big CONGRATULATIONS to you all. Marriage is more than congratulations. The Lord that has done this would lead you till the end.

As per the comments on spreadsheet, i can see that most of us need to polish our skills in that area. As P.A's or Secretaries, our bosses expects too much from us in terms of computer application and appreciation. I feel we should make ourselves more value by adding more computer skills to enhance our purpose in our various organisations.

I would like you all to know that i sincerely appreciate you all.

Thankyou all for been part of this room.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:37am On Aug 24, 2007
@ Ojurere

Thanks alot for ur compliments.

So u work with a female boss like me, hope urs dont give u wahala. mine is a blessing to me.

Cheers.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 3:31pm On Aug 24, 2007
My Peace,

My boss is an ANGEL, and i mean it an ANGEL sent from God to me. It is a testimony working with her, i would do anything to watch her back even on MATERNITY LEAVE now.

Enjoy your weekend.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 5:00pm On Aug 24, 2007
Hi
I want to congratulate everybody in the house, this is a wonderful house am impressed. keep it up! I got to know about this forum yesterday, after reading some posts it was very interesting. You really helped me to tackle some challanges that am facing now as a Secretary/Admin. Officer. thanks alot especially the initiator of this forum.

God bless you and give u grace to forge ahead.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:04am On Aug 27, 2007
@ Angelmart
A M E N and welcome.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 1:13pm On Aug 27, 2007
@ MyPeace,

Thanks alot, Pls is anybody away of Schools which currently admitting PGD Student? As I have to do that before going for my MBA. I was thinking of LASU but since you are not in support of that can you advice on any other school(s).
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ayomy: 3:51pm On Aug 27, 2007
Mypeace,

i likes ur courage keep it up. cheers.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 11:14am On Aug 28, 2007
@Angelmart

my opinion on LASU is a personal opinion, so u can still go there if u so desire. Unilag just closed registration (l dont know if they do PGD, but l guess they should). lt however depends on your location, there are 1001 schools in nigeria to choose from. But if you are in Lagos l only prefer Unilag. UNN and other schools have satelite campuses here in Lagos, but l dont subscribe to that arrangement in anyway. Instead of that, go to LASU.
If you are outside Lagos, you still have others to choose from. l did my first my first degree from Olabisi Onabanjo Uni (formerly Ogun State university). So spread ur net and look around you.

Good luck!!

@Ayomy
your welcome and thank you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 8:09am On Aug 30, 2007
Hi

I sent an email to ICSA sometime last 2 months, then I have not join the house and this is the reply they sent to me. Please I want everybody to read and comment although you have discussed about it before. thnks

The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators
Introduction

The Institute was established in Britain in 1891, Chartered in 1902 and has presently 44,000 members and 28,000 students in over 70 countries.

The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators of Nigeria (ICSAN) is a professional body dedicated to excellence in corporate governance and public administration. It is an offshoot of the international body with its headquarters in London.

The Institute’s Examinations
The Institute operates two examination schemes. These are: -

(A) ICSA Professional Examinations and

(B) Corporate and Public Administration (CPA) Examinations.

ICSA PROFESSIONAL EXAMINATIONS
The Institute’s professional examinations consist of 16 modules (subjects) subdivided into four stages;

Certificate in Business Practice
Diploma in Business Practice
Professional Programme I
Professional Programme II.
The courses are as follows: -

Certificate in Business Practice
Business Environment
Business Communications
Accounting for Business
Business Management
Diploma in Business Practice
Business Law in Practice
Marketing
Business Finance
Business Strategy and Planning
Professional Programme I
(i) English Corporate Law

(ii) Strategic and Operations Management

Management Accounting
Financial Accounting
Professional Programme II
Corporate Financial Management
Corporate Secretaryship
Corporate Administration
Corporate Governance
The examinations are held in June and December of every year.

Entry Requirements

ICSA Professional Examinations

HND, Degree & Recognized Professional Qualifications, Graduates of Accounting, Finance and Law enjoy enhanced exemptions.

Registration fees

Form and Handbook =N=3,000

Registration fee =N=5,250

Exemption fees
Certificate and Diploma in Business Practice - N1,500 per subject
Professional Programme 1 and 11 - N2,000 Per subject.

Certificate and Diploma in Business Practice - £105.00 and £135.00 per subject respectively.
Professional Programme 1 and 11 - £200.00 Per subject

Examination Entries Closing Dates

Examination fees are due for payment latest by 15th February for June examinations and 15 September for December examinations

CORPORATE AND PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION (CPA) EXAMINATIONS
The Professional Diploma in Corporate and Public Administration (CPA) programme is the second prgoramme of the Institute. The objective of the CPA is to train professional managers who will assist qualified Chartered Secretaries and Administrators in the performance of their duties. The programme consists of fifteen subjects, sub-divided into three part as follows:-

PART 1
Economics
Communication Skill
Quantitative Techniques
Financial Accounting I
Introduction to Nigerian Law
PART II

Information Systems
Managing Information Systems
Management Principles and Practice
Financial Accounting II
Nigerian Business Law
PART III

(i) Auditing

Taxation
Organisation Behaviour
Nigerian Corporate Law
Corporate and Public Administration
The examinations are held in May and November of every year. Graduates of this programme are admitted into the MBA or MPA programmes of some Nigerian Universities.

Entry Requirements

Minimum of 5 Credits in GCE/WASC/SSCE ordinary level including

English Language and Mathematics

Registration Closing Date

10th January for May examinations

10th July for November examinations

Fees

Form And handbook N2,500

Registration fee N3,500

Exemption fee N2,500 (per subject)

Examination fees are due for payment latest by 15th March for May Examinations and 15th October for November examinations.

Request for Form

Please send your bank draft covering the fee for the form and handbook with =N=200.00 postage fee to the institute if you are interested in any of the two programmes. Or obtain the form and handbook personally at the Institute’s Secretariat.

For further enquires please contact.

The Institute’s Secretariat,

Elephant Cement Way,

Beside Elephant Cement Building, Alausa

P. O. Box 15702, Ikeja, Lagos

Tel/Fax: 4967070, 4712396, 2301037, 2301038

Or the following addresses: -

Mr. G. O. Ononiwu, FCIS
AM 17, Kazaure road/junction road,

P. O. Box 2217, Kaduna

Tel: 062 – 218367

Mr. T. F. Dairo, ACIS
Oxford House,

Dugbe, Ibadan, Oyo State

Tel: 02 – 241234, 241234

(iii) C/o Debyi Limited

27, St. Andrew Street

Rumuobiakani

P. O. Box 12014

Port Harcourt

Tel: 084-231989, Fax: 084 – 234809

(iv) Mr. S. A. Dada, ACIS

316 Lozumba Complex

Off UTC

Area 10, Garki

Abuja

Tel: 09-6712637

Mrs. I. A. Eze, FCIS
Classique Guest House, 12, Abomimi Crescent

Near Air force Primary School

Independence Layout

Enugu

Tel: 042- 457689
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by LadyM1: 4:32pm On Sep 05, 2007
Mypeace, hi i've been busy oh!! i was able to sort the issue of the spreedsheet stuff bt am stil working on it anyway.

Mypeace, am thinking of doing my PGD in unilag, i hate LASU wit passion. I dnt knw if the form is out and how much will it cost me?

Hello our newcomers, u all re welcomed to our world of Professional Secretaries wit a pride.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Aladunni(f): 10:12am On Sep 06, 2007
Nice thread we v got here, nice work MyPeace is doing to our psychology by creating this forum. Kudos to everyone who had contributed in one way or another. Am so new here and am feeling belonged already. My experiences (4 years) as a secretary had been sweet on the GENERAL ANALYSIS O, ave worked with male bosses for those number of years on the job (The third one now) . They've always treated me with respect. Ave been lucky to work with bosses who knows the value of a secretary/PA very well, i mean very well.
It may sound funny but do you know my greatest challenge through these ages, OFFICE ASSISTANTS(Messengers grin). You know as a secretary they are the ones u use mostly, if u tend to trust them so well, u may even be casual with some information but do u know they are the official AMEBOS in the organisation. By the time they go to the gate or drivers office or the kitchen, u will be surprised where next u will hear about that confidential article u seem to take care of. Sometimes they even search when u r not ready to be careless. They are junior workers yet work with u. Secretaries please send your reactions to this. When you adhere to the RULES, they tell the whole organisation that you are wicked and frustrated. I know we can maintain a balance dear secretaries. Mayb our temperament has something to do with this. Where i am now is a foreign setting and am new and i just realised that the former PA's problems started from these people. Shout out loud please
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:38am On Sep 06, 2007
@ LadyM
l posted the info on Unilag earlier on, the submission closed last August, donot know if they have late entry.  l didnt buy the form either, becuase l had somethings to sort out first.  l hope to buy by next session.

@Aladunni,

Read the first page of this forum, you will get valuable info there.

Additionally, you have already known the problem of the former PA, you have to map out a strategy for your survival there. l have office assistant, but its not all msg that l send him. Firstly, not all documents and msg is confidential, so l choose to do the confidential aspect myself alone, no matter how busy l am.  Maybe to make confidential photocopy or pass a confidential document to another dept. l do them myself.  Do what u feel is right, and ignore whatever any body says. Use this 3Fs. FREE, FAIR and FIRM, meaning, allow the office assistant to make his decision, be fair in handling his shortcoming, and be firm in your authority and discipline.  People must talk, but you job shdnt suffer inorder to please them.  For me, l don't have office FRIEND, but l have office COLLEAGUE.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ayomy: 1:39pm On Sep 06, 2007
@ALADUNNI

Adunni, that's my ORIKI, you are welcome to forum

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply)

Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.