Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,201 members, 7,815,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Nissan Altima - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Altima (11143 Views)

A Kenyan Converts Nissan Fuga Car Into A Mercedes Benz Car / You Can't Beat It.nissan Altima With Strong Camry Engine For Sale. / Nissan Altima Rebranded For Sale Just 750k Best Of Both World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nissan Altima by funso111: 10:07am On Apr 28, 2016
Pls expert in the house. What is really wrong with Nissan altima . the car is cheaper online compare to Camry and accord. But I thought the car should complete with accord and Camry. I am thinking of getting one for my wife. But I don't want to bring problem. She is the one paying for the car . I am only assisting her .I don't want woman wahala. The car is meant to be her first car. Pls help. Gasuzz ,Siena and other expert in the house. The model is between 2002-2006

1 Share

Re: Nissan Altima by AutoJoshNG: 11:44am On Apr 28, 2016
funso111:
Pls expert in the house. What is really wrong with Nissan altima . the car is cheaper online compare to Camry and accord. But I thought the car should complete with accord and Camry. I am thinking of getting one for my wife. But I don't want to bring problem. She is the one paying for the car . I am only assisting her .I don't want woman wahala. The car is meant to be her first car. Pls help. Gasuzz ,Siena and other expert in the house. The model is between 2002-2006

Hello Funso111,

It is cheaper because you will probably spend more money on repairs. Nissan cars are usually more stylish and elegant than Toyota and Honda but more problematic (especially the suspension and mechanical problems). Hence, the reduced demand which has lead to its lower market price.

Autojoshng

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nissan Altima by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:10pm On Apr 28, 2016
funso111:

summary, it is a crappy car.

1 Like

Re: Nissan Altima by akanniade10(m): 4:19pm On Apr 28, 2016
Run!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nissan Altima by insideout: 4:28pm On Apr 28, 2016
What about the Altima model 98-2001, 2007-2012 and 2013-2016. Are they also crappy @gazzuzz.
And OP stay away from the car, the gods of cartalk has spoken.
Re: Nissan Altima by boldx(m): 5:44pm On Apr 28, 2016
If you buy any tokunbo or used Nissan Altima 1998 - 2005, you have entered one chance. I mean serious one chance.

1 Like

Re: Nissan Altima by Emekayoung(m): 6:28pm On Apr 28, 2016
Let me giv u hints about this car cos my brother uses it. If the car overheats and d top gasket burnt,don't just bother 2 change d gasket cos it will be a waste of time and money. My bro went through alot after changing d gasket,frm smoking 2 different kinds of issues which i cannot even list all here. After spending 118k trying to revive his car,he still went ahead to buy anoda engine for 100k before d dollar hype. And d parts are very xpensive,not even readily available,my bro went to ladipo 2 change his rear bumper due to a serious bash sometime last month,wen he got there he almost fainted wen they told him d bumper was 32k,and they had to call someone frm Itire to bring it down 2 ladipo,after fixing it everything resulted to 35k. My advice is if u knw u don't hav enough money 2 spend on dis car wen it develops faults dont even near it talkless of buying it.. I rest my case.

5 Likes

Re: Nissan Altima by akanniade10(m): 7:02pm On Apr 28, 2016
insideout:
What about the Altima model 98-2001, 2007-2012 and 2013-2016. Are they also crappy @gazzuzz.
And OP stay away from the car, the gods of cartalk has spoken.

I say Run!!! 98-2006...... Not sure abt newer models
Re: Nissan Altima by diportivo: 7:16pm On Apr 28, 2016
Online reviews dont favour this ride

Father in law drive one tho,and no complaints

I4 is manageable...v6 isnt

Smh at how ppl make it seem as tho oda brands don't even develop faults

#TeamNissan

9 Likes

Re: Nissan Altima by steveyen(m): 1:57pm On Apr 30, 2016
I have this to say abt Nissan cars esp Altima/Maxima early millinuem edition ( 01-06) because I bought Nissan maxima 04 as my 1st car.

At 1st as som1 rightly pointed out here they re more fanciful and comes wit a lot of features & options than Camry n Corolla of their equivalent year. However maintenance and repairs are big problem and headache.

From my own experience: Due to some small noises from around the front area of the car, some funny half-baked Mechanics nearly spoil the engine. They compounded the problem so much that the car started doing overheating and they blew the brain-box. The engine that was so gud before suddenly start tapping. it got to a point I have to make an outcry here on Nairaland and people recommended Nisspart a popular guy here on nairaland that has a Nissan thread. But he too suddenly took advantage of the situation (though he solved the problem to a large extent) and charged me unbelievably too high and made me pay thru my nose but I have no option but to just pay him because I was desperate to get the car back to pristine state.

He first said for him to accept the car I have to pay N10K
He also said he paid rewire almost N40k to get the new brainbox bought to communicate wit scanning device
There was a time he said he bought power steering pump for N40k and also at one point he said he bought temp switch that controls the start and stop of the engine fan N10K !! It was so terrible that I spent close to N200K . I ran away from Nisspart after that.

Since that sad experience I have come to the following conclusions:

- I have discovered they re few guys( Mechanics) who actually understand deeply how to properly diagnose and solve the car problems. Some good mechanics people here on nairaland recommends actually run away from it. The truthful ones there will tell u that the car is not easy to fix.

- One need to look hard for Nissan expect automechanic. I finally got one who understands the car like back of his hands and can fix the car very well also his price is a whole lot cheaper than Nisspart but he delays on job. He is always very late on job delivery.

- The car has to be carefully managed and driven with utmost care. It is not the kind of car ones rocks and knocks around like the Toyotas of t these world. it is better use by people who dont drive around frequently and will be a perfect car for a second or alternative car. Definitely not for a rough rider because any fault it developed is whole lot of money and headache. It is not a car one give out to friend to drive around you will regret that decision.

If one keeps to all these one will enjoy the ride.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nissan Altima by kaffyfolly: 1:58pm On Apr 30, 2016
thank you all . i am on the run.
Re: Nissan Altima by Emekayoung(m): 3:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
steveyen:
I have this to say abt Nissan cars esp Altima/Maxima early millinuem edition ( 01-06) because I bought Nissan maxima 04 as my 1st car.

At 1st as som1 rightly pointed out here they re more fanciful and comes wit a lot of features & options than Camry n Corolla of their equivalent year. However maintenance and repairs are big problem and headache.

From my own experience: Due to some small noises from around the front area of the car, some funny half-baked Mechanics nearly spoil the engine. They compounded the problem so much that the car started doing overheating and they blew the brain-box. The engine that was so gud before suddenly start tapping. it got to a point I have to make an outcry here on Nairaland and people recommended Nisspart a popular guy here on nairaland that has a Nissan thread. But he too suddenly took advantage of the situation (though he solved the problem to a large extent) and charged me unbelievably too high and made me pay thru my nose but I have no option but to just pay him because I was desperate to get the car back to pristine state.

He also said he paid rewire almost N40k to get the new brainbox bought to communicate wit scanning device
There was a time he said he bought power steering pump for N40k and also at one point he said he bought temp switch that controls the start and stop of the engine fan N10K !! It was so terrible that I spent close to N200K . I ran away from Nisspart after that.

- I have discovered they re few guys( Mechanics) who actually understand deeply how to properly diagnose and solve the car problems. Some good mechanics people here on nairaland recommends actually run away from it. The truthful ones there will tell u that the car is not easy to fix.

- One need to look hard for Nissan expect automechanic. I finally got one who understands the car like back of his hands and can fix the car very well also his price is a whole lot cheaper than Nisspart but he delays on job. He is always very late on job delivery.

- The car has to be carefully managed and driven with utmost care. It is not the kind of car ones rocks and knocks around like the Toyotas of t these world. it is better use by people who dont drive around frequently and will be a perfect car for a second or alternative car. Definitely not for a rough rider because any fault it developed is whole lot of money and headache. It is not a car one give out to friend to drive around you will regret that decision.

You have said it all,no doubt..
Re: Nissan Altima by femi9naija(m): 11:49am On May 01, 2016
I think it's just a crappy Nigerian mentality that all other cars apart from Toyota are never good. That's when they start attaching problems that are not only peculiar to Nissan cars (a case of calling a dog a bad name just to hang it).
I have used a 99 then 01 altima for the past 3 years without issues other than servicing and wheel balancing and alignments. A friend is using d 06 model into the 3rd year without issues.
I believe as long as u maintain your car well and not trying to cut costs in repairs, you've got yourself a good car to last your lifetime. Who says Toyota cars don't give issues too

6 Likes

Re: Nissan Altima by dharmeel(m): 2:28pm On May 01, 2016
steveyen:

Abeg send me the number of the guy that helped you out my altima 2008 just developed some serious probs
Re: Nissan Altima by steveyen(m): 5:33pm On May 01, 2016
femi9naija:
I think it's just a crappy Nigerian mentality that all other cars apart from Toyota are never good. That's when they start attaching problems that are not only peculiar to Nissan cars (a case of calling a dog a bad name just to hang it).
I have used a 99 then 01 altima for the past 3 years without issues other than servicing and wheel balancing and alignments. A friend is using d 06 model into the 3rd year without issues.
I believe as long as u maintain your car well and not trying to cut costs in repairs, you've got yourself a good car to last your lifetime. Who says Toyota cars don't give issues too

Just wait till it develop a little issue.Just pray you get a super gud automech, they have to be to handle Nissan Altima/ Maxima repairs.

All these our crappy mechanics will compound the issues and the good automechanics will simply run away from it, they prefer working Toyotas which is far way easier to fix.

One thing you will notice about the car is when you open the bonnet, it is full up hardly any space in the engine area to maneuver and most mechanics usually shout when they see this. So in trying to fix things most of them will damage other things definitely they wont tell u. You will get to notice later.

For example when I wanted to change my steering rack. I got some guys to do it. thinking is just a replacement job. the 1st complain about the engine not having space to work. Infact I regretted at the end of the day because they damaged a lot of things.

2 Likes

Re: Nissan Altima by steveyen(m): 5:38pm On May 01, 2016
dharmeel:

Abeg send me the number of the guy that helped you out my altima 2008 just developed some serious probs

The guy number is 08028288262. He is a very gud guy with Nissans though you may have to be patience with him when it comes to time.

2 Likes

Re: Nissan Altima by dharmeel(m): 5:52pm On May 01, 2016
steveyen:

Abeg give me d guys number . I need him for my 2008 Nissan altima
Re: Nissan Altima by steveyen(m): 5:01am On May 02, 2016
dharmeel:

Abeg give me d guys number . I need him for my 2008 Nissan altima

The guy number is 08028288262.
Re: Nissan Altima by femi9naija(m): 7:36am On May 02, 2016
steveyen:

Just wait till it develop a little issue.Just pray you get a super gud automech, they have to be to handle Nissan Altima/ Maxima repairs.

All these our crappy mechanics will compound the issues and the good automechanics will simply run away from it, they prefer working Toyotas which is far way easier to fix.

One thing you will notice about the car is when you open the bonnet, it is full up hardly any space in the engine area to maneuver and most mechanics usually shout when they see this. So in trying to fix things most of them will damage other things definitely they wont tell u. You will get to notice later.

For example when I wanted to change my steering rack. I got some guys to do it. thinking is just a replacement job. the 1st complain about the engine not having space to work. Infact I regretted at the end of the day because they damaged a lot of things.

Change that mechanic bro
Re: Nissan Altima by diportivo: 8:03am On May 02, 2016
femi9naija:

Change that mechanic bro

Exactly!!

How can a mech complain that there's no space in the engine bay?space to do what exactly?

The said mecho will surely faint if he sees a vw touareg v12.....or even an ordinary rrs v8

Space??.......please!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nissan Altima by insideout: 8:48am On May 02, 2016
dharmeel:

What problems have you encountered using the car? And ur general reviews, what present major issues are you facing currently
Re: Nissan Altima by Nobody: 8:33am On May 03, 2016
Its becoming annoying whenever someone ask for advice concerning a car to purchase, he/she gets inundated with the 'Buy Toyota " rant.

Yes toyota is the most popular car in Nigeria, but it is not the only car brand in Nigeria.

Nissan is a good brand too , no less the altima.

After all it was among the top 3 world brand, it stood next to Toyota and honda at one time.

The Altima lika any other car has its peculiarities chief among them being its transmission , electronics and engine problems.

These were discovered in the early post millennial models 2002-2004, but they have been rectified, recalls and Tsbs ( technical service bulletins were issued that showed people how to address this problem)

The Altima is a great car, buy it dont let the Toyota freaks scare you, even Toyota has been plagued with recall problems of , and in 2012 Toyota was fined 73 million dollars in the US for defects on their vehicles.

So you see the Toyota rant is based on old glory, other newer vehicles like KIA, Hyundai are catching up.

Nissan is a Japanese car and has the Japanese reliability. Dont let the Toyota freaks discourage you.

Their rant is based on ignorance about how a car works.

6 Likes

Re: Nissan Altima by Mcleo007(m): 6:18pm On May 21, 2018
Nissan is not really bad, especially the Altima series. I used the 2002 model and had no issues except problem with the alternator at about the time I sold it, which basically was because I needed money at the time and not because of mechanical issues. I am thinking of getting the 2005 model asap.
Re: Nissan Altima by Kafene: 5:12pm On Jun 23, 2019
Please can I get a little review about the Nissan Altima 2010 model.. Thinking of getting one, love the car but scared based on the experience my dad had on an older model
Re: Nissan Altima by AutoMoTech(m): 8:59am On Jun 24, 2019
Kafene:
Please can I get a little review about the Nissan Altima 2010 model.. Thinking of getting one, love the car but scared based on the experience my dad had on an older model

My advice is you do a thorough search online about the pros and cons of that particular using several reputable car review sites. You will get invaluable knowledge about the car. Also seek out the most common problems for that particular one you are looking at. This gives you an idea of what you are getting into. Also go through customer reviews. These are people that actually used the car and dropped their complaints on the sites. It really helps to know more about it. Finally you can create a thread on car talk, i believe ppl who have previously used the car or have first hand knowledge will weigh in about their own experiences.

Personally I believe there are no bad car. What we have mostly are badly maintained cars. Although there are some cars that are sent from hell grin

3 Likes

Re: Nissan Altima by govmentson(m): 9:23am On Jul 27, 2020
steveyen:

Can you recommend the mechanic
Re: Nissan Altima by doncollino: 9:15am On Feb 13, 2021
Have anyone used the 2010 to 2012 Altima, how did it perform. Though a friend of mine have been using the 09 model for 6 years now and no issues just servicing.
Re: Nissan Altima by Edatomola(m): 8:23pm On Sep 03, 2021
You are very correct my brother, If you want to do a good research about a car ,dont ask Nigerians except it's Toyota/Honda even some 1 who haven't use a car b4 will say something about it, I'm sure 80% of those commented haven't use Nissan b4, most of them made there comments on assumption, my inlaw use it, my friend say, they failed to ask what was the car condition b4 you bought it, once it's not Toyota Honda everyone will have some thing to write,, meanwhile this Toyota/Honda engine are very low quality compare to some cars that Nigerian haven't realize, cars that I have enjoyed that I had to buy them again and again, cars like Jaguar s type, infiniti FX35/G35, Mercedes benz etc all this cars has long lasting engine far more than Toyota Honda , only Toyota Honda v6 are a bit better but not up to this one's, I have used them all several times and done deferent researches on any of them b4 buying that is I can confidently say this, but if you ask anybody about this cars some1 that use Toyota or Honda will come and tell you has runaway Benz, run away from Jaguar, you ask a japanese specialist about German or American, ask me! What knowledge or experience do they have about it to share with you? If you want to make a research on a car, ask the specialist or those that uses it not here that any how people will come and tell you what they have no single idea about just because of Nigerian mentality..
femi9naija:

1 Like

Re: Nissan Altima by Edatomola(m): 8:30pm On Sep 03, 2021
If you want to do a good research about a car ,dont ask Nigerians except it's Toyota/Honda even some 1 who haven't use a car b4 will say something about it, I'm sure 80% of those commented haven't use Nissan b4, most of them made there comments on assumption, my inlaw use it, my friend say, they failed to ask what was the car condition b4 you bought it, once it's not Toyota Honda everyone will have some thing to write,, meanwhile this Toyota/Honda engine are very low quality compare to some cars that Nigerian haven't realize, cars that I have enjoyed that I had to buy them again and again, cars like Jaguar s type, infiniti FX35/G35, Mercedes benz etc all this cars has long lasting engine far more than Toyota Honda , only Toyota Honda v6 are a bit better but not up to this one's, I have used them all several times and done deferent researches on any of them b4 buying that is I can confidently say this, but if you ask anybody about this cars some1 that use Toyota or Honda will come and tell you has runaway from Benz, run away from Jaguar, you ask a japanese specialist about German or American cars, tell me! What knowledge or experience do they have about it to share with you? If you want to make a research on a car, ask the specialist or those that uses it not here that any how people will come and tell you what they have no single idea about just because of Nigerian mentality.
funso111:

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Spider / Is Toyota Corolla Really The Best / URGENT PLS!!! Toyota Camry 04 Tyre/rim Increase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.