Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,262 members, 7,818,890 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Gear Won't Select(auto) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gear Won't Select(auto) (2071 Views)

Help - My Car Gear Won't Shift Until I Remove My Leg on Gas Pedal / Parts In Regular Cars You Won't Find In Electric Car's Maintenance/Repair Lists / Lagos New Revenue Generation Drive. Read This So You Won't Be A Victim. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gear Won't Select(auto) by tojahh(m): 10:16am On Apr 29, 2016
Please

I have a Toyota Camry 1996 (Orobo) Auto-transmission V6 car, but when the gear is in 'D' and you accelerate, the gear won't change to indicate velocity per acceleration. I mean the gear can shift between "1, P, D, R, N," but when on Drive, as you rev on, you will notice the gear selector on D remains.

That usual sound it used to notice will not be heard or observed..... please am planning on traveling a 6-7 hrs Journey with the car soon. what are the pitfall. its my first car, i don't have much experience.
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by Kashif(m): 10:22am On Apr 29, 2016
tojahh:
Please

I have a Toyota Camry 1996 (Orobo) Auto-transmission V6 car, but when the gear is in 'D' and you accelerate, the gear won't change to indicate velocity per acceleration. I mean the gear can shift between "1, P, D, R, N," but when on Drive, as you rev on, you will notice the gear selector on D remains.

That usual sound it used to notice will not be heard or observed..... please am planning on traveling a 6-7 hrs Journey with the car soon. what are the pitfall. its my first car, i don't have much experience.

Very confusing post. You expect the selector to move from 'D' to where? I dont understand.
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by AutoJoshNG: 10:39am On Apr 29, 2016
tojahh:
Please

Hello Tojahh,

Kindly rewrite your enquiry as it is difficult to understand.

Autojoshng
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by tojahh(m): 1:24pm On Apr 29, 2016
sorry, what i mean is.... When its on 'D' and you accelerate, you are supposed to notice a change in the engine to indicate the speed level of the car has gone beyond gear 1 (that's if its manual). Thus the auto gear should do same when on 'D'. but this doesn't change as you won't notice any sound/change from the engine.

Ok example "you're accelerating a hill, originally your engine changes sound to indicate the load of climbing the hill, thus the gear would change as well. But mine won't change to either a lower gear or higher gear. just there.

I just hope somebody understands me please.
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by AutoJoshNG: 1:41pm On Apr 29, 2016
tojahh:
sorry, what i mean is.... When its on 'D' and you accelerate, you are supposed to notice a change in the engine to indicate the speed level of the car has gone beyond gear 1 (that's if its manual). Thus the auto gear should do same when on 'D'. but this doesn't change as you won't notice any sound/change from the engine.

Ok example "you're accelerating a hill, originally your engine changes sound to indicate the load of climbing the hill, thus the gear would change as well. But mine won't change to either a lower gear or higher gear. just there.

I just hope somebody understands me please.

Hello Tojahh,

1) Does the car move faster when you accelerate or it just continues to make a loud noise like it can't move anymore?
2) Does the RPM gauge (that's the gauge usually next to the speedometer) go down from like 5,000 rpm to 2,500 rpm when driving?
3) Does the car climb the hill eventually or it just gets stuck there and begins to roll back?
4) When climbing the hill, does the RPM gauge rise high than the position it was before ascending?
5) Can you drive the car as fast as 100km/hr?

Answer the questions above and the house will be able to advise you accordingly.

Autojoshng
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by nurey(m): 6:14pm On Apr 29, 2016
If I will understand you, it's very rear to find a car with automatic transmission that also has gear level beside it. I have seen a Honda bull dog with this rear feature. But not withstanding an auto gear changes its level from 1 up to 4,5,or 6 depending on type without you knowing it just changes as it deems fit whether accelerating or decelerating. I only notice gear changes in my sienna with 4speed auto drive from 1 to 2, 3 upwards I don't notice gear changes.

If you Rev doesn't commensurate with your speed, I. E Rev at 4k+ and speed is around 30 or 40 km/h then you can say the gear has a problem
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by tojahh(m): 7:52pm On Apr 29, 2016
Oh thank heaven nurey.

He actually got a close pint about what I mean,

@AutojoshNG, I only used the hill climbing as an example to drive home my point.

What I mean is, an autogear is supposed to change its level from 1,2,...5 or 6 as the case maybe. With or without you knowing. This is done in accordance with the acceleration or deceleration as the case maybe.

But in my case, this doesn't happen. Even when I accelerate more than 100km/hr. You won't even notice a change in gear level.

The Car actually moves faster when I accelerate. And no the RPM doesn't drop. And yes the car climbs any hill without. trouble.

Please
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by nurey(m): 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2016
tojahh:
Oh thank heaven nurey.

@AutojoshNG, I only used the hill climbing as an example to drive home my point.

What I mean is, an autogear is supposed to change its level from 1,2,...5 or 6 as the case maybe. With or without you knowing. This is done in accordance with the acceleration or deceleration as the case maybe.

But in my case, this doesn't happen. Even when I accelerate more than 100km/hr. You won't even notice a change in gear level.

The Car actually moves faster when I accelerate. And no the RPM doesn't drop. And yes the car climbs any hill without. trouble.

Please

Nothing is wrong with your gear, I have driven many autos I don't know if it's right for me to say gear changes is more noticeable in lower engines.
In my brother in laws 2006 Accord DC 4 cylinder , gear changes is very noticeable, even upto 3.in my sienna I only notice it from 1 to 2 that's v6. In a 4 speed Lincoln navigator V8 I don't feel gear changes at all even in the Rev counter it's just an observation not a professional truth.
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by AutoJoshNG: 9:43pm On Apr 29, 2016
tojahh:
Oh thank heaven nurey.

Please

Hello Tojahh,

That's how it's meant to be. Your gear does not seem to have any issue.

Autojoshng
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by tojahh(m): 1:28am On Apr 30, 2016
AutoJoshNG:

Hello Tojahh,

That's how it's meant to be. Your gear does not seem to have any issue.

Autojoshng

Thanks for your great insight and contribution. its my first car so I really do not know much. I'll be traveling with it from ABJ to PH next week sunday with a few stop here and there.

Thanks nurey... I only notice the change in gear level in most cars I rode with that's why am scared because since I complained to my mech abt it any small fault he'll attribute it to because the "Gear selector is not work". Even when the car was overheating.
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by ReduceWeight(m): 5:42am On Apr 30, 2016
Service the gear. I have experienced similar issue
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by boldx(m): 7:07am On Apr 30, 2016
Check if your overdrive feature has been activated. I drive a v6 toyota as well. You will hear/notice sound changes as your gear changes. Something is definitely wrong.
Re: Gear Won't Select(auto) by tojahh(m): 12:27am On May 01, 2016
boldx:
Check if your overdrive feature has been activated. I drive a v6 toyota as well. You will hear/notice sound changes as your gear changes. Something is definitely wrong.

No, the Overdrive is not activated.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla 2000 For Sale!! / My 2006 Toyota Corolla Accelerates On It’s Own / My Toyota Camry03(big Daddy) Show Oil Indicator On The Dashboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.