Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Hair Questions! Post Them Here - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Hair Questions! Post Them Here (37154 Views)

The 2 Most Popular Hair Questions.. I Guess / Got/want Cute Ankara Styles, Post Them Up! / Fashion ~ Beauty & Grooming Tips : Post Them Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by mitchyy(f): 7:05am On Apr 14, 2010
Hi babes,
plz i need suggestions on a good relaxer to use.
Most of the relaxers av tried always tend to change the colour of my hair coupled with fact that my hair breaks a lot.
Any suggestions please?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 7:24am On Apr 14, 2010
@ bluespice

why not buy them online and try your luck with the claims

@ mitchyy

which ones do you currently/previously use?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by mitchyy(f): 7:30am On Apr 14, 2010
Am currently on creme of nature HERBAL RICH
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 7:03pm On Apr 14, 2010
Peeps I need info on Emily Millionaire 100% natural coconut oil and ish creme. I saw it,love the look,scent and ingredients. What I want to know is what can it be used for,is it a moisturizer or a leave-in conditioner or what?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 5:40am On Apr 15, 2010
mitchyy:

Am currently on creme of nature HERBAL RICH

so far for me, its has been mizani, designer essentials and affrim
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Tatase(f): 10:49am On Apr 15, 2010
mitchyy:

Hi babes,
plz i need suggestions on a good relaxer to use.
Most of the relaxers av tried always tend to change the colour of my hair coupled with fact that my hair breaks a lot.
Any suggestions please?

I second the Affirm and Mizani recommendations (especially Affirm). But I know they can be kind of hard to find in Nigeria. So I too use No-Lye/Kit relaxers. (I've tried Herba Rich and wasn't impressed either).

The only 2 box relaxers I've used here that I think give similar-ish results to Affirm and don't make your hair thin and limp or cause breakage are Optimum Care Advanced Anti-Breakage Conditioning No-Lye Relaxer (which I haven't seen around in a while, not that I've looked too hard) and S[b]oft & Beautiful Ultimate Protection (6x More Protection) No-Lye Relaxer[/b] (which I see everywhere, so it shouldn't be too hard to find). Make sure your stylist uses the post-relaxer treatments included in the kit because they really make a difference.

As for breakage and color change, your stylist is possibly relaxing your hair from root to tip and overprocessing ur hair. If you're suffering from breakage, do a deep conditioning treatment with hair cholesterol (dark and lovely, queen helene, and lekair are good cholesterol brands readily found in Nigeria in spite of a couple containing mineral oil; if you can find silk elements, its excellent!) which is even better if you mix it with olive oil (and castor oil and/or coconut oil).
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by mitchyy(f): 12:58pm On Apr 15, 2010
@sissy& tatase,

thnks babes.
i think i'll try one of them out.
i think one major problem i have is my stylist always complains that its not possible to retouch just the root.
she said no matter how u do it, it must always get to the tip.
don't know what to do about that?

and how do you go about deep conditioning your hair?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 1:24pm On Apr 15, 2010
No one to answer my question?
Ejadamen:

Peeps I need info on Emily Millionaire 100% natural coconut oil and ish creme. I saw it,love the look,scent and ingredients. What I want to know is what can it be used for,is it a moisturizer or a leave-in conditioner or what?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:31pm On Apr 15, 2010
@mitchyy. Dnt beliv dat, puttg relaxr on alrdy relaxd hair strands wil mak d hair easily n more breakabl. All relaxr containers n packs have instructns on how 2 retouch d hair esp. new growth. let your hair dressr knw dat. If u allw hr 2 continu dat, u wil lose your strands quickly.
I handle my hair myself aka DIY-Do It Yourself. i retouchd my hair mysf usg UB n Only applid it 2 my new growth. I usd a wide mouth comb durin d proces n didnt mak d relaxrs stay 2 lng on my hair because it ws alredy paining me n my hair DID relaxd. Tel your hair dressr nt 2 use tail comb bt a wide mouth comb. D key 2 relaxg hair properly is 2 knw d quantity of relaxer 2 use n d technique applid in get d hair straightnd.
kindly go 2 deis sites 2 learn more=> http://www.jazma.com/relaxing.html, http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2869314/how_to_properly_apply_a_hair_relaxer.html?cat=69
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Tatase(f): 5:25pm On Apr 15, 2010
About the stylist: I know how it is, because sometimes I say things that they discount, but ultimately even if it makes you seem difficult, its your hair! There's no need for her to comb the relaxer through all the way to the tips (something they like to do). Another thing you can do is to vaseline or castor oil your straight ends (tips) generously b4 you go to relax your hair. (To do this apply to your hair as if you were using it as hair cream). This will help. Don't let it get on your roots too much, because it serves as a sort of barrier to the relaxer. This will at least protect your tips to an extent from your stylist's rough-handling.

About the DC: You can go to the salon and do it, it's what they call steaming. At home, there are two ways I do it:
If I have time, then I first wash my hair and apply the deep conditioner, then I wear a shower cap (or tie a plastic bag over my head. I leave it on for at least 1-2hrs. If you have a heated cap, or a dryer you can sit with cap under the dryer for like 30 minutes. But usually because I don't have either of those. I hang around for the 1hr. You can tie a scarf over your shower cap if you need to go around and do things in the mean time. After that rinse your hair, dry it, apply leave-in conditioners, and then it's up to you.
If I know I just want to get the whole process over with quickly (without having to wet my hair twice), I apply the DC on dry hair (i.e. don't wet your hair), put on a shower cap, then wait 1-2hrs. Again you can hide your shower cap under a scarf if you have to be seen. Then you rinse out the DC, wash with regular conditioner (the kind u normally use when u shampoo your hair), rinse, the dry with a towel/t-shirt, apply leave-ins, and then style as u like (with or without heat).
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 7:10pm On Apr 15, 2010
Ejadamen:

No one to answer my question?
i remember emily millionier,i am sure the ingredients include petroleum and mineral oil which only coat the hair rather than penetrate which is not good for ur hair,so i dont advice you use it,but it would be a moisturiser any way.
@ bluespice i have been using mane and tail for a few months,i wouldnt say it helps with growth,but if u have thin hair it will definately give it volume and strenght because it has some light protein ingredients.you can get it at walgreens and at walmart in the pet section.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 11:32am On Apr 16, 2010
ubiaa5:

i remember emily millionier[b],i am sure the ingredients include petroleum and mineral oil[/b] which only coat the hair rather than penetrate which is not good for your hair,so i dont advice you use it,but it would be a moisturiser any way.
@ bluespice i have been using mane and tail for a few months,i wouldnt say it helps with growth,but if u have thin hair it will definately give it volume and strenght because it has some light protein ingredients.you can get it at walgreens and at walmart in the pet section.
I checked, no petroleum. Not sure if there was mineral oil but will check again.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by jovi: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2010
where can we buy Mizani products from?, US/U.K NIGERIA?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 4:22pm On Apr 16, 2010
Ejadamen:

I checked, no petroleum. Not sure if there was mineral oil but will check again.
sori since its oil u should use it to seal, your moisturiser should be of a lotion consistency.
jovi:

[/quote
definately US and online,dont know about nig.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 4:40pm On Apr 16, 2010
Ladies if you have split ends the best way to take care of them is to cut them off,if not it will travel all the way down to the roots and break it off.to avoid future reoccurence try the following tips.
1.Try not to over manipulate your hair too much,use wide tooth combs on your hair and boar bristle brushes.
2.If your hair is shoulder length,put it in an updo to avoid it brushing against your cloths,the friction will cause your hair to split and break.
3.Always tie your hair with a silk scarf or bonnet before going to bed at night to avoid tangles and friction against your pillow.
4.Finaly avoid or use heat sparingly,instead of blow dryers and flat iron try to rollerset your hair,that way your tips are hidden during the drying process.
If your have more tips pls add.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 7:22pm On Apr 16, 2010
ubiaa5:

sori since its oil u should use it to seal, your moisturiser should be of a lotion consistency.
It's not an oil,it was a lotion but I'll check it out. I remember being impressed with some of the ingredients like coconut oil, jojoba oil etc. I use ORS olive oil creme to moisturize my hair and its a lotion not an oil even with the name. Oh well I'll check this out cos some of the wonderful products you guys are mentioning are hard to find in coal city.

ubiaa5:

Ladies if you have split ends the best way to take care of them is to cut them off,if not it will travel all the way down to the roots and break it off.to avoid future reoccurence try the following tips.
1.Try not to over manipulate your hair too much,use wide tooth combs on your hair and boar bristle brushes.
2.If your hair is shoulder length,put it in an updo to avoid it brushing against your cloths,the friction will cause your hair to split and break.
3.Always tie your hair with a silk scarf or bonnet before going to bed at night to avoid tangles and friction against your pillow.
4.Finaly avoid or use heat sparingly,instead of blow dryers and flat iron try to rollerset your hair,that way your tips are hidden during the drying process.
If your have more tips pls add.
What is that?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by nospetco(f): 7:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
Indian hair weft

1>Tangle Free. 100% high quality Indian human hair. Double drawn

2>Natural Wave: The nutural wave will not change after washing many times. It is not like the wave made in factory. It is the wave of the hair itself. It is very natural.

3>Natural Color: The natural color have kept the cuticle because the the color is the hair's virgin color. The hair haS not been bleached or dyed. It is heathy hair. Also the clients could change the color freely in hair salons if they like.

4>Sleek & Soft feeling: The hair is very sleek and very soft.

5>Easy to take care: Just treat the hair like your own hair. You could wash, bleach and curly it freely as you want.

ONE FULL HEAD - N30, 000. 00
CALL 08033084077
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 8:28pm On Apr 16, 2010
@eja if its a lotion then its a moisturiser,those ingredients u listed are very good so it should be good for your hair.as to what is that, i was giving tips on how to avoid split end.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 11:56pm On Apr 16, 2010
Ejadamen:

What is that?

[img]http://www.clipinhair.co.nz/shop/images/2115165.jpg[/img]

@ubiaa5

nice tips!

trimming the ends helps too. i trim mine whenever i relax, keeps it healthy esp. for those with longer hair cos they tend experience spilt ends more. also i use protein rich conditioners to manage it
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Ejadamen(f): 9:37am On Apr 17, 2010
@ Sissy and ubia thanks.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 4:51pm On Apr 17, 2010
Nice one sissy,little warning tho on the protein conditioners,too much protein can cause breakage,so will want to determine if your hair needs protein or moisture,always balance both.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Tatase(f): 9:33pm On Apr 17, 2010
jovi:

In the US/UK, you can get them online (even Amazon sells them) or at a good beauty supply store. There are quite a few nice beauty supply stores in Lagos, but unfortunately I haven't seen Mizani products at any of the ones I've been to.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 4:15am On Apr 18, 2010
@ ubiaa5

yea, i dont do it all the time only when i feel the need for it. do you do it too?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by allanweary: 1:51pm On Apr 19, 2010
Hi friends,
I use oil too much. I wash my hair every Sunday. And I do hair massage every Sunday. I use only Sun silk shampoo.
I don' change Shampoo and Oil any time. So My hair is very long and I like my hair very much. So I advise everybody
follow me.
-------------------
Millefiori Pendant | Murano Necklace
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2010
~Sissy~:

@ ubiaa5

yea, i dont do it all the time only when i feel the need for it. do you do it too?
i am a relaxie (grin) so i do the protein treatment a wk before my relaxer,it helps give my hair strenght after,wish i knew this a long time ago,btw i use aphogee two step protein treatment.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2010
ubiaa5:

i am a relaxie (grin) so i do the protein treatment a wk before my relaxer,it helps give my hair strenght after,wish i knew this a long time ago,btw i use aphogee two step protein treatment.

same here. though i havent relaxed in a looooooong time now, dont know if i use whether it will do more harm than good?
aphogee is good just that the smell is too awful angry
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 8:35pm On Apr 19, 2010
^^^ you can say that again the smell is terrible but it gets the job done,how long have you gone without relaxing,i always try to strech my relaxer btn 12 -16 wks.Cant advice on using aphogee if your hair is long overdue,but if you do,dont leave on longer than neccesary.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 5:49am On Apr 20, 2010
i havent relaxed for the longest time now, alm a yr and .last time i used aphogee i had to use one of those mask to cover my nose
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 5:08pm On Apr 20, 2010
wow over a yr!what are your plans do u intend to go natural?
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by Sissy3(f): 1:53am On Apr 21, 2010
thats wat ma stylist ask me when i go in. nah am not going natural, will never go. kudos to those who take that step though.

i dont relax very often. last time i relaxed was last may after using mizani Karma suggested it to me, so its almost ayr. the highest i relax my hair in a year is 3 times. mostly its twice a year.
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by uzoo: 3:10pm On Apr 21, 2010
Re: Hair Questions! Post Them Here by ubiaa5(f): 6:59pm On Apr 21, 2010
good for u sissy,my hair is so bushy,going 4 mths is a long strech for me,usually my hair is in braids after the second mth,so what other stuffs do you do or use to mentain your hair,do you have a certain lenght or goal in mind or do u just want it healthy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Women Are Better-Off Without Bras - Research Claims / A Woman With Tribal Marks Was Transformed With Makeup (Pictures) / See Pretty Ladies That Turned-up At Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria TV Screening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.