Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (43973 Views)

What Comedy/sitcom/romantic Comedy TV Series Are You Watching Right Now? / Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? / Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by JoeBlocks(m): 11:38pm On May 01, 2016
Ishilove:

Kai. His village people did their thing sharp sharp cry. That guy was destined for greatness
LOL. I really can't remember what happened exactly, would have phoned my mum, I'm sure she would know... I remember she use to talk about it back then.

Ishilove:

You are indomie generation cheesy
Yes oh. A generation destine for google and wikipedia things. Lol.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by McEwen(m): 12:01am On May 02, 2016
Ishilove:
You are indomie generation cheesy
long time baby,how you doing?smiley
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by frankoben(m): 12:08am On May 02, 2016
1) Mr. B
2) Zulu Adigwe
3) Albert Egbe
4) Basi and Company
5) Ken Saro Wiwa

The other guy in the picture is Alali a roommate of Mr. B and his real name is Tekena Harry McDonald
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by kobonaire(m): 2:44am On May 02, 2016
Tinyemeka:

You just brought back fond memories with that post. smiley

That's all I remember from the series.
we de the same frequency!
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 5:21am On May 02, 2016
Ishilove:

Remind me again, what killed Nosa? I vaguely recall he was killed off in the series

JoeBlocks:
H died in real life, that's why he didn't feature in the series anymore, it was rumored that he was having an affair with a co star in the series in real life.

I had a picture of Nosa that I used to explain to people who didn't watch the series why so many young girls crushed on him, but I can't find it anymore sad

Anyway, Mac Arthur Fom died of cerebro-spinal meningitis. I was wondering what the producers of the show would do. The producers worked it into the show two weeks after his death. They first did a tribute to him a week after his death, then the character Nosa was also killed in the show two weeks later.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 5:33am On May 02, 2016
JoeBlocks:
Hmm. Nice. Never knew all these, but I'm well aware of the programs.

CockCrow At Dawn starred Sadiq Daba and co...

Behind The Cloud starred Matt Dazie and Zack Amata and co..

I can't remember Telemovie, remind me a bit will you...

Telemovie was a series of television movies from Jos. Most of the movies were stand alone movies, but a few of them were in two or three parts. The most famous telemovie was Lynx. I can still remember a bit of the plot of Lynx, so I'll tell you about it.

Mat and Gladys Dadzie were married (I can't remember their screen names, but I remember that this was one of the few times that they acted as a married couple on screen). Mat had Gladys killed (I can't remember why). Gladys' ghost appeared to their little children. They were the only people who could see her in human form. She sometimes appeared to other people as a lynx cat. She eventually wreaked vengeance on Mat for killing her.

That's all I can remember. Telemovie was shown on the network service at 8 o'clock c1987-1988.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by JoeBlocks(m): 6:22am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

Telemovie was a series of television movies from Jos. Most of the movies were stand alone movies, but a few of them were in two or three parts. The most famous telemovie was Lynx. I can still remember a bit of the plot of Lynx, so I'll tell you about it.

Mat and Gladys Dadzie were married (I can't remember their screen names, but I remember that this was one of the few times that they acted as a married couple on screen). Mat had Gladys killed (I can't remember why). Gladys' ghost appeared to their little children. They were the only people who could see her in human form. She sometimes appeared to other people as a lynx cat. She eventually wreaked vengeance on Mat for killing her.

That's all I can remember. Telemovie was shown on the network service at 8 o'clock c1987-1988.
I see. Was it the series Matt Dadzie killed Gladys for money ritual?, that he went to a native doctor, who summoned her in a reflection of water, and gave him (Matt) he knife which he used to stab her, via the water in the bowl thus killing her?

I remember vividly that Matt Dadzie's name was Dauda and Gladys' name was Hauwa or something like that if my memory serves me right.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 6:30am On May 02, 2016
JoeBlocks:
I see. Was it the series Matt Dadzie killed Gladys for money ritual?, that he went to a native doctor, who summoned her in a reflection of water, and gave him (Matt) he knife which he used to stab her, via the water in the bowl thus killing her?

I remember vividly that Matt Dadzie's name was Dauda and Gladys' name was Hauwa or something like that if my memory serves me right.

Yes, I think that's Lynx. It was the most popular of the telemovies and it was shown many times (even after the main series had ended). It was one of the few times that Mat and Gladys Dadzie acted as a couple on screen.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by JoeBlocks(m): 6:33am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

Yes, I think that's Lynx. It was the most popular of the telemovies and it was shown many times (even after the main series had ended). It was one of the few times that Mat and Gladys Dadzie acted as a couple on screen.
Ya! Good to know my memory still serves me right, even though I was just a kid when I watched it. LOL.

But bro, you don old oh. LOL. grin
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Nobody: 6:42am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:
1) Basi

2) Zulu Adigwe (I didn't quite get used to him. I always preferred the person that acted that role before him. He didn't quite get the Mr B walk).

3) Albert Egbe (I first saw him in Jagua Nana's daughter in 1987. He acted alongside Richard Mofe-Damijo and Chinua Achebe's daughter. That was also the first time that I saw Richard Mofe Damijo [he was credited as Evans Mofe Damijo).

4) Basi And Company (8pm on NTA Network from c1988-1990).

5) It was written by Ken Saro Wiwa. He later published a couple of books that were based on the sitcom (I still have one of them). There were many clues within the sitcom that he was the one that wrote it. The most popular beer at Dandy's bar was called Saros Beer and I think there was an episode that featured a bank called Saros Bank.

Mildred Iweka was (of course) my favourite Segi.

Basi And Company (The Transistor Radio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc1ujHlA5MY
Bross, Una don old oh.. I hail thee
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 6:50am On May 02, 2016
JoeBlocks:
Ya! Good to know my memory still serves me right, even though I was just a kid when I watched it. LOL.

But bro, you don old oh. LOL. grin

Do you remember NiFeTeP?
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by JoeBlocks(m): 6:59am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

Do you remember NiFeTeP?
Not really. Kindly remind me what its about, may be I'll remember. When I was younger, I didn't pay attention to the title of things, just the content.

But I still remember Televest '86 like yesterday, cos I hated it with passion those days.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:05am On May 02, 2016
JoeBlocks:
Not really. Kindly remind me what its about, may be I'll remember. When I was younger, I didn't pay attention to the title of things, just the content.

But I still remember Televest '86 like yesterday, cos I hated it with passion those days.

NiFeTeP = Nigerian Festival of Television Programmes.

It was basically a yearly competition between NTA stations. Each station submitted entries in various categories (drama, documentary, etc) and the entries were shown over a two or three week period, then there was an award ceremony at the end.

Some of the most famous NiFeTeP programmes include The Reign Of Abiku (NTA Channel 10) and The Pot Of Life (NTA Benin).

It was held from c1985-1989.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by JoeBlocks(m): 7:23am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

It was basically a yearly competition between NTA stations. Each station submitted entries in various categories (drama, documentary, etc) and the entries were shown over a two or three week period, then there was an award ceremony at the end.

Some of the most famous NiFeTeP programmes include The Reign Of Abiku (NTA Channel 10) and The Pot Of Life (NTA Benin).

I remember these programs very well. But I don't remember it was part of NiFeTeP.

I still remember the programs like yesterday. Amiwu in The Of Life, and Abiku,

I wonder what happened to the little girl in Abiku, the girl who played the lead character, the one possessed, she was a cute lil thing, was even crushing on her back then...
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:36am On May 02, 2016
JoeBlocks:
I remember these programs very well. But I don't remember it was part of NiFeTeP.

I still remember the programs like yesterday. Amiwu in The Of Life, and Abiku,

I wonder what happened to the little girl in Abiku, the girl who played the lead character, the one possessed, she was a cute lil thing, was even crushing on her back then...

The answer to your question is on this thread (I hope the pictures are still visible, if not I'll have to update them).
https://www.nairaland.com/2788507/nigerian-child-stars-what-look
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:56am On May 02, 2016
ajepako:
That sitcom is Basi and company written by late KEN SARO WIWA

Other sitcoms on NTA then were:

NEW MASQUERADE

NEW SAMANJA

SECOND CHANCE

SURA THE TAILOR

MY BELLE...MY HEAD BY JAGUA

KOKO CLOSE

Good ol days... grin grin grin grin

Very good, but Koko Close (Oluwalanbe Lodge) was on OGTV.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by JoeBlocks(m): 8:09am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

The answer to your question is on this thread (I hope the pictures are still visible, if not I'll have to update them).
https://www.nairaland.com/2788507/nigerian-child-stars-what-look
Whoa! I can't believe I almost cried when I saw Uzie is married and Omotara is all grown up. Wow!.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 9:20am On May 02, 2016
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 9:21am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

Niggi, you're old grin
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by shumax: 9:43am On May 02, 2016
quite impressive the acting is better than we see this days
naptu2:
1) Basi

2) Zulu Adigwe (I didn't quite get used to him. I always preferred the person that acted that role before him. He didn't quite get the Mr B walk).

3) Albert Egbe (I first saw him in Jagua Nana's daughter in 1987. He acted alongside Richard Mofe-Damijo and Chinua Achebe's daughter. That was also the first time that I saw Richard Mofe Damijo [he was credited as Evans Mofe Damijo).

4) Basi And Company (8pm on NTA Network from c1988-1990).

5) It was written by Ken Saro Wiwa. He later published a couple of books that were based on the sitcom (I still have one of them). There were many clues within the sitcom that he was the one that wrote it. The most popular beer at Dandy's bar was called Saros Beer and I think there was an episode that featured a bank called Saros Bank.

Mildred Iweka was (of course) my favourite Segi.

Basi And Company (The Transistor Radio).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc1ujHlA5MY
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 10:02am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

THAT program was Lynx? I vaguely remember it, although I was very young then
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deekseen(m): 10:11am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

That was the first of the Jos school of programmes that I ever watched (it was started in 1980). In the 1980s we had the Lagos programmes, the Kaduna programmes, the Enugu programmes, etc, but the Jos school of programmes was the best. They gave us great shows like:

CockCrow At Dawn
Telemovie
Behind The Clouds
Etc

And produced fantastic actors like Sadiq Daba, Mat and Gladys Dadzie (I was the saddest person in the world when they divorced), George Mentie, Ene Oloja, Mac-Arthur Fom (Nosa in Behind The Clouds. The whole of Nigeria was mourned when died), etc.
I always thought Behind the Clouds was an Enugu Programmes production.
Yeah, when "Nosa" died even my mom cried...it was a sad experience.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deekseen(m): 10:35am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

If I remeber very well her name was "Hauwa" in that telemovie. The horror used to drive me nuts those days, especially when she appeared as a cat and the scene where he kept mentioning her name (i think when he sacrificed her).
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Nobody: 11:00am On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

Geez Naptu! You are very knowledgeable about all these 'oldies.'
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 12:23pm On May 02, 2016
deekseen:
I always thought Behind the Clouds was an Enugu Programmes production.
Yeah, when "Nosa" died even my mom cried...it was a sad experience.

It was a very sad day.

Behind The Clouds was produced in Jos and it had all the usual celebrities from the Jos school.

George Menta played the role of Bello in CockCrow At Dawn in 1980. His wife was Zemaye (played by Ene Oloja), his very stubborn teenage son was Bitrus (played by Sadiq Daba) and his daughter was Larai.

In Behind The Clouds (1989), Ene Oloja played the role of Efe, Nosa's elder sister (Nosa was played by Mac Arthur Fom), George Menta played the role of Ene Oloja's boyfriend's father who had abandoned his children when they were little and was now trying to reconcile with them and Sadiq Daba played the role of George Menta's friend.

Gladys Dadzie played the role of Fortune's mother and Mat Dadzie was one of the producers of the show (I think he also acted in it, but I can't remember his role).

Many of the places could easily be identified by people living in Jos (there was someone in my house who was a student of Unijos at that time).

Bello (George Menta) and Larai on the set of CockCrow At Dawn

Ene Oloja

Sadiq Daba
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Tinyemeka(m): 6:01pm On May 02, 2016
kobonaire:
we de the same frequency!
smiley

Your siggy. I have a video of a guy who skydove without any chute. Landed on a trampoline.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by dfrost: 9:29pm On May 02, 2016
[quote author=naptu2 post=45223307]
quote]

Oga naptu2 with all these knowledge, if you don't write a book, posterity will judge you fa
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by dfrost: 9:56pm On May 02, 2016
naptu2:

The theme song... naptu2 you na one old brother. Permit me to call you uncle. *bows*

Aiyayeya Ko, Ko, Ko, Koko
Koko oo ko ko ko Koko

naptu2 what's the name of the landlord's son that scaled the gate in one the episodes, Kasali or what?

I can't remember vividly. I was very small then.
Re: Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 4:25am On May 03, 2016
dfrost:

The theme song... naptu2 you na one old brother. Permit me to call you uncle. *bows*

Aiyayeya Ko, Ko, Ko, Koko
Koko oo ko ko ko Koko

naptu2 what's the name of the landlord's son that scaled the gate in one the episodes, Kasali or what?

I can't remember vividly. I was very small then.

That theme song was by Kris Okotie. It's one of his old hits. I think the title was Goodbye Teacher.

Kasali was the security guard at Oluwa Lambe Lodge.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians React To Thin Tall Tony's Eviction From Big Brother Naija With Funny M / Top Ten Nollywood Movies Of 2019 / Popular Movies From The Past.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.