Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,235 members, 7,836,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution (9760 Views)

Sheriff Moves Out Of Wadata House, Congratulates Makarfi / Ondo Guber: Sheriff Moves Against Mimiko, Deputy, Jegede, Others Over Pdp’s Loss / Senate Moves To Amend CCB, Administration Of Criminal Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by dre11(m): 7:15am On May 01, 2016
Following stiff opposition by the Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party to his desire to contest the chairmanship of the party at its national convention scheduled for May 21, the National Chairman of the party, Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff has begun moves to checkmate it.

Sheriff had proposed an amendment to the party’s constitution, whereby he added a clause that the body would need to consult him before it could call for any meeting.

Unlike before, the BoT, of which the national chairman is a member, does not need his permission to hold its meeting.

It is a statutory organ of the party with powers to act as its conscience.

However, in the proposed amendment, which was meant to be discussed at the last meeting of the party’s National Executive Committee, Sheriff is proposing that he needed to be consulted before such organ of the party could meet.

Under PART 1X, Board of Trustees, Meetings of the BoT, the proposed amendment says that “The BoT shall meet at the instance of the Chairman in consultation with the national chairman of the party or at the request of half of the members of the Board or following a resolution of the Board or the NEC request for such a meeting.”

The current constitution of the party merely stated that the “The Board of Trustees shall meet at the instance of the chairman or at the request of half of the members of the board or following a resolution of the board or the national executive committee requesting for such a meeting.”

The proposed amendment to the party’s constitution was included as part of the agenda of the last NEC meeting, which was held in Abuja on Thursday.

However, a copy of the proposed amendment which was sighted by our correspondent showed that rather than being specific on the pages or clauses to be amended, Sheriff decided to print the whole constitution with the amendment.

The idea, it was learnt, was to confuse the NEC members who would not have the patience to read all the entire constitution side by side with the old one and would therefore not know the exact clauses or sections being amended.

A former National Chairman of the party, Sen. Ahmadu Ali, who was present at the NEC meeting, was said to have called the attention of the NEC members to the unusual manner in which the members of the National Working Committee were trying to amend the constitution.

A member of the NEC, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said that Ali insisted that the areas, clauses and pages slated for amendment ought to be printed out separately with the proposed news words, sentences or clauses to be added or removed.

The source said, “Now, he (Sheriff) wants to decimate the powers of the BoT by asking to be consulted before we could hold meetings. He will also be asking for agenda.

“If he’s not around, that means we can’t meet. If he’s not favourably disposed to the issues to be discussed, that means we can’t meet.”

A former Minister of Transport, who is also a member of the BoT, Chief Ebenezer Babatope, also said that many people were already preparing to leave the party because of Sheriff.

He said, “Many people are leaving the party now. That will be serious and have dire consequences for us. I’m ashamed of the party.”

The Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the party, Ibrahim Jalo, said that he might quit the party on moral grounds. But he said that he was still making consultation.

Jalo, who spoke in an interview with our correspondent in Abuja, said, “I may leave the party on moral grounds. Jalo may leave on moral grounds. I may likely leave the PDP on moral grounds after Thursday’s NEC meeting.

“When I came in to the meeting hall on Thursday, I realised that the South-West, where most of us had agreed that the chairman should come from, had been short-changed.

“Why give the position to the North again? The North is only interested in the presidential ticket and not the national chairman.

“Alhaji Shuaib Oyedokun called me and said that the South-West was conceding the position of chairmanship. I asked him why, he said they had agreed to allow the North produce the national chairman.

Jalo said, “The caucus of the South-West under the leadership of Chief Bode George disagreed with that position.

“I asked him how would he marry his position with that of George? He said the North-West would produce the presidential candidate if the North-East has the chairman.

“This is a bad calculation. In the whole of North-West, the PDP has only one member of the House of Assembly from Kaduna West and only four members of the House of Representatives. How do you take the presidency there?”

He added, “I am the chairman of the House in Gombe State and we did a lot in assisting the state governor to win election. In all the local governments, I have structure. If I’m leaving, I’m leaving with my supporters.”

Oyedokun, also a member of the BoT, however, defended the choice of Sheriff, saying that though the South-West deserved the position of national chairman, he said the timing was wrong.

He said, “Yes, we deserve the position of the chairman, but it shouldn’t be cosmetic. We will have it before the presidential candidate emerges. Let us join hands with Sheriff, who had been doing a good job to move the party forward now, especially in the North.”

http://www.punchng.com/chairmanship-sheriff-moves-amend-pdp-constitution/

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by ayeesamunique(m): 7:20am On May 01, 2016
I see this guy working if given time by his people.
I hope they don't blow-up his chances to bring the party back to life with beef and their selfish interests.

1 Like

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by Jirate(m): 7:31am On May 01, 2016
All I want is a “Better Nigeria”. cool cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by Akkord4gov: 7:47am On May 01, 2016
All of them only fight for their respective selfish interest,never the interest of the populace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by Islie: 3:48pm On May 01, 2016
Sheriff had proposed an amendment to the party’s constitution, whereby he added a clause that the body would need to consult him before it could call for any meeting.

Unlike before, the BoT, of which the national chairman is a member, does not need his permission to hold its meeting.

this shows that PDP is still being control by cabal and their isn't anything call internal democracy in them which has brought them to where they are.....

everyone is selfish when they have power at their hand

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by modath(f): 5:18pm On May 01, 2016
A former National Chairman of the party, Sen. Ahmadu Ali, who was present at the NEC meeting, was said to have called the attention of the NEC members to the unusual manner in which the members of the National Working Committee were trying to amend the constitution.

All the posturing of rebranding is just to get back in the centre, PDP just does not possess the ability to change. (pun FULLY intended)

The ward congresses held yesterday still went the usual way.. Ogun state had 3 parallel congresses. OYO or Ondo had 2. Everybody na boss!

PDP is impunity, impunity is PDP

P.S ... Tonyebarcanista , how far? wink

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by tommykiwi(m): 5:18pm On May 01, 2016
We are waiting for pdp's return in 2019
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by TippyTop(m): 5:20pm On May 01, 2016
Why is APC so scared of Ali Modu Sheriff?

Answer:
Because (APC the boko haram party) now know PDP is ready to fight their boko haram ideology with Sherrif?

Sheriff knows APC in and out, he was not only a founding member of APC but Buhari's inlaw as well.

Modu Sheriff is currently using his money to pay workers at PDP secretariat. There's a new Sheriff in town, APC should deal with it.

2 Likes

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 01, 2016
Lols all this politicians sef, to rule this messed up country no dey tire una?
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by adimoh99(m): 5:20pm On May 01, 2016
shocked
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by free2ryhme: 5:20pm On May 01, 2016
who Ali Modu Sheriff epp?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by erayo2GCA(m): 5:25pm On May 01, 2016
Pdp equals Apc
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by Olukologia(m): 5:27pm On May 01, 2016
This man is gonna revive my great party. He made APC attractive so he is gonna do the same to PDP. Ride on man
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by gwales: 5:32pm On May 01, 2016
[s]
Olukologia:
This man is gonna revive my great party. He made APC attractive so he is gonna do the same to PDP. Ride on man
[/s] sorry, he can't even win his polling unit in maiduguri talkless of the whole borno.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by gwales: 5:37pm On May 01, 2016
[s]
TippyTop:

Answer:
Because (APC the boko haram party) now know PDP is ready to fight their boko haram ideology with Sherrif?

Sheriff knows APC in and out, he was not only a founding member of APC but Buhari's inlaw as well.

Modu Sheriff is currently using his money to pay workers at PDP secretariat. There's a new Sheriff in town, APC should deal with it.
[/s] you must be an iPad yoot to believe that sheriff is a threat to pmb and APC in borno and the north at large

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by jmichlins(m): 5:39pm On May 01, 2016
TippyTop:

Answer:

why have you refused to make use of your brains.

19 Likes

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by Abeyjide: 5:39pm On May 01, 2016
buhari and sherif are friends and are working together.i pity those they are deceiving.

2 Likes

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by robosky02(m): 5:39pm On May 01, 2016
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by modath(f): 5:40pm On May 01, 2016

He who pays the piper dictates the tune, as long as Shekau's money is being used to fund the party, he is free to do as he pleases... Fairness & Equity justifies it..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 01, 2016
Following
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by Olukologia(m): 5:50pm On May 01, 2016
gwales:
sorry, he can't even win his polling unit in maiduguri talkless of the whole borno.
lets watch in 7D. 2019 on point for us
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by ObinnaIzuora: 5:52pm On May 01, 2016
gwales:
you must be an iPad yoot to believe that sheriff is a threat to pmb and APC in borno and the north at large

He was paid to post crap online, dont blame him abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by focus7: 6:23pm On May 01, 2016
PDP is a scatter-scatter party. The center can never hold in that evil party again.

2 Likes

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by fejicruz(m): 6:35pm On May 01, 2016
Sherif wants to turn himself to the Robert Mugabe of PDP.

1 Like

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by accelion(m): 6:42pm On May 01, 2016
PDP should even just chill first with all ttese their dirty clothes. We need to catch our breath and see upfront and know where we are going at the moment. Can someone tell them this please? The people are so tensed and expectant and aren't concerned about any party for now. We need water for our thirst first.

Let them do a lot of internal workings first while the land subtle. I don't see an hungry man in this present state listening to their theory of revival not even now that a lot of their wrongdoings are being exposed.

They should do alot of humanitarian gestures first instead of showing how disorganized they can be when not in power.

Abeg, make them clear road first jor!
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:42pm On May 01, 2016
SAS, but why na, after TonyeBarcänista just wrote an article in support of your North East producing the next chairman of PDP?

3 Likes

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by GuyfawkesAB(m): 6:44pm On May 01, 2016
I'm not only laughing @ PDP members and their supporters, I'm also mocking Tonyebarcanista. Earlier today he had presented some funny calculations without factoring some key issues in.

Sherrif Modu's plans clearly negates Mr Tonye's permutation.

(hope pdp remains a party to reckon after most of their members leave)

1 Like

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by iGeneral: 6:52pm On May 01, 2016
"My boss will destroy the PDP" - Governor Kashim Shettima

"Sheriff will work for us in APC in 2019" - Governor Ganduje of Kano.
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by ijustdey: 6:55pm On May 01, 2016
with this development ...... PDP will soon go to extinction.

can't wait for their burial by their chairman.... Amodu sherif
Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:57pm On May 01, 2016
GuyfawkesAB:
I'm not only laughing @ PDP members and their supporters, I'm also mocking Tonyebarcanista. Earlier today he had presented some funny calculations without factoring some key issues in.
Sherrif Modu's plans clearly negates Mr Tonye's permutation.
(hope pdp remains a party to reckon after most of their members leave)
It does not negate anything. What is happening is power play among groups and I am silent for now in taking position.

1 Like

Re: Sheriff Moves To Amend PDP Constitution by ijustdey: 6:57pm On May 01, 2016
with this development ...... PDP will soon go to extinction.

can't wait for their burial by their chairman.... Amodu sherif

(1) (2) (Reply)

Angry Biafrans Nearly Beatup Nigeria's Foreign Minister / How Umahi, Masari, Ugwuanyi, Okowa, Ishaku Are Transforming Lives / Debts, Salaries Take 52.6% As FG Budgets N13.08tn For 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.