Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription (14654 Views)

"Take 2 In The Morning Before You Wake Up": Check Out This Drug Prescription / Here's Why You Get Eye Boogers / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by rexbuton: 8:39am On May 01, 2016
There is the theory that eye ailments are minor after all the eye is small, and can easily be handled by retail pharmacists/Drug shops. This assumption however is very incorrect, could be extremely costly and is fraught with so many dangers that I would like to go over.

THE CHLORAMPHENICOL ELIXIR
Most of us have had a sudden red eye, teary eye, painful eye, dull eyes etc and went to the chemist guy who gave us CHLORAMPHENICOL and the symptoms vanished. In truth, if you had visited the doctor there is a very high chance that he would have given you the same thing. BUT he would consider many factors before hand, factors that the chemist man is often unaware of. Such as examining the pattern of redness, the nature of the discharge , your current medication and your hematological state. Your doctor would also tell you how long to use the drops; it is also a known fact that incorrect use of drops is the major cause of Antibiotic resistance, which in turn ranks very high in the list of problems faced by healthcare professionals worldwide. Bone marrow depression ( reduction in the production of Red blood cells) is also caused by chloramp abuse.
CHLORAMPHENICOL is not a cure for all ills, it is an antibiotic. Just an antibiotic!

STEROIDS
Steroids (corticosteroids) are a class of drugs that mimic the action of a natural hormone, CORTISOL. The basic thing that these drugs do is to lower inflammatory signs and agents hence their ubiquity. Pain, heat, swelling, redness and loss of function are the signs of acute inflammation. Using steroid eye drops would rapidly reduce these symptoms , sounds too good to be true?? So you walk into the chemist shop, complain. of anything and he gives you steroids, you go home and all is well, initially. He doesnt tell you when to stop or how to stop, or even what it could do to you..
Our immune system is also part of the inflammation cycle, therefore suppressing inflammation would suppress your natural defense too, so if your eyes had an active or even a dormant infection at that time, that simple steroid drop could cost you your eyes and happiness.
Even worse is if the eye had a fungal infection mostly from plant injury as often seen in farmers and agric industry staff, then the eyes are gone.
Nowadays we have steroid-antibiotic combinations to reduce the risk of bacterial colonization but do the chemists teach us how to use them? All natural hormones cannot be stopped suddenly, instead the dose should be reduced gradually over time or by reducing the frequency of administration, but most of us stop as soon as the symptoms cease. Doing this can stop your body's own production of that hormone.
Long term steroid use has been implicated in the development of cataract. I've seen a lady who had been on steroids since 1997, the clinical findings were textbook material. Steroids also increase the eye's pressure and this can make you develop Glaucoma.
Only use steroids with proper supervision.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by rexbuton: 8:40am On May 01, 2016
EYE WHITENERS

Most of us complain that our eyes are not white or our eyes are red and we want clean eyes etc And the chemist guy gives us Visine eye drops to use. Firstly, most of our eyes are not white and they are not red either. The discoloration is often due to fat deposits . Visine (tetrahydrozoline) is a vasoconstrictor, it makes your blood vessels narrow to reduce blood flow. Visine would only work if you are having a real red eye or an acute red eye otherwise you would just be wasting your money and if you use it more regularly to get faster results you could be putting your self at risk.
Visine makes your eyes dilate more and this could put you at risk if you are prone to having glaucoma ( Narrow ange). Also, leaving Visine lying around could prove costly as ingested Visine is poisonous and fatal in children.

cc Mynd44

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by rexbuton: 9:27am On May 01, 2016
lalasticlala please push this to front page
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by swaggzo(m): 9:43am On May 01, 2016
ONE TIME, I BOUGHT TWO PACKS OF PRESCRIBED EYE DROPS FROM A VERY BIG/POPULAR PHARM OWNED BY ONE OF THOSE GREEDY POT BELLIED IGBO MEN, BASED IN KADUNA STATE..

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS, I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO BE IN A HASTE.. ..I DIDN'T BOTHER TO CHECK FOR THE EXPIRY DATE OR REG NUMBER .. . (OR I THOUGHT ITS GON BE AUTHENTIC BECAUSE THE SHOP LOOKED GOOD).

I BOUGHT THE DROPS FOR 1,000 EACH, BUT IT TOOK ME ABOUT 20,000 TO FIX THE DAMAGE THE SOLUTION DID TO MY EYES IN JUST 2 DAYS OF USAGE.. ... IT WAS THEN THAT I CHECKED AND COMPARED THEM BOTH TO THE ONE I WAS GIVEN AT THE NATIONAL EYE CENTER KD, MEHN.. ... THE LABELS WERE EVEN ARABIC. NO NAFDAC REG NOR EXPIRY DATE. JUST COMPLETELY UPSIDE DOWN. undecided

I FELT I DESERVED AN AWARD FOR BEING THE MOST STUPIID PERSON ON EARTH. .. LIKE, I SHOULD OCCUPY BOTH THE FIRST, SECOND, AND THIRD POSITIONS CUZ JUST ONE PERSON COULDN'T BE THAT UNREASONABLE! embarassed

YOU CAN FAKE ANYTHING, BUT IF YOU FAKE AROUND WITH ANYTHING REALATED TO HEALTH THEN LUCIFER IS A BETTER PERSON.

I CALLED THE NAFDAC ON THEM, I WAS 19 THEN. I WASN'T BOLD ENOUGH TO FIGHT FOR JUSTICE.

I STILL CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW NAFDAC LET THEM GO AFTER COLLECTING SOME CHEAP BRIBE!

NIGERIAN....

AND MY FRIENDS HERE BASHING ME CUZ I MENTIONED "IGBO" MAN... LOL, I'M SORRY IF YOU FIND ME AND MY POST OFFENSIVE, BUT I'M NOT GONNA TAKE BACK MY WORDS BRO, TAKE HEART.

THEY'RE IN CHARGE OF DUPLICATING ALMOST EVERY THING THAT CROSSES THEIR PATH, EVEN DRUGS! FOR THE LORDS SAKE THATS MESSED UP.

SO WE SHOULD ALL DIE FROM USING THEIR FAKE STUFF JUST BECAUSE THEY WANNA GET EXTRA PROFIT FROM EVERYTHING?

ANYTIME I BUY A FAKE MALARIA DRUG, IF I ASK THE SELLER HIS TRIBE, HE'S IGBO.
FAKE ELECTRONICS, IGBO.
FAKE EVERYTHING, IGBO.

I'M SURE THEIR DOCTORS WON'T EVEN MIND TO DO A FAKE ORGAN TRANSPLANT. ...JUST FOR SOME MORE PROFIT.
THEY'LL JUST FIX YOU ONE VERY FAKE HEART OR KIDNEY SO YOU'LL DIE THE NEXT DAY undecided

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by rexbuton: 9:48am On May 01, 2016
swaggzo:
ONE TIME, I BOUGHT TWO PRESCRIBED PACKS OF EYE DROPS FROM A VERY BIG/POPULAR PHARM OWNED BY ONE OF THOSE GREEDY POT BELLIED IGBO MEN, BASED IN KADUNA STATE..

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS, I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO BE IN A HASTE.. ..I DIDN'T BOTHER TO CHECK FOR THE EXPIRY DATE.. . (OR I THOUGHT ITS GON BE AUTHENTIC BECAUSE THE SHOP LOOKED GOOD).

I BOUGHT THE DROPS FOR 1,000 EACH, BUT IT TOOK ME ABOUT 20,000 TO FIX THE DAMAGE THE SOLUTION DID TO MY EYES IN JUST 2 DAYS OF USAGE.. ...

YOU CAN FAKE ANYTHING, BUT IF YOU FAKE AROUND WITH ANYTHING REALATED TO HEALTH THEN LUCIFER IS A BETTER PERSON.

I CALLED THE NAFDAC ON THEM, I WAS 19 THEN.
I STILL CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW NAFDAC LET THEM GO AFTER COLLECTING BRIBE!

That's true! There is no worse evil than fake drugs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by tinkriosjd: 10:09am On May 01, 2016
Nice share, Thanks OP!
I also think that we should be aware in use of CHLORAMPHENICOL. Misuse of these chemical have negative impact.
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by dominique(f): 10:10am On May 01, 2016
rexbuton:

I composed it myself. I'm an eye professional

Ok then. There was a time I had itchy redeye and the doctor prescribed some antibiotic eye drops which I got from a good chemist. If we are not to get eyedrops from chemists, where should we get them from then?
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by rexbuton: 10:15am On May 01, 2016
dominique:

Ok then. There was a time I had itchy redeye and the doctor prescribed some antibiotic eye drops which I got from a good chemist. If we are not to get eyedrops from chemists, where should we get them from then?

I failed to express my ideas clearly.. What meant was that we shouldn't self medicate or meet the chemist guy instead of a seeing a doctor first

Could you suggest a more appropriate title?
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by dominique(f): 10:40am On May 01, 2016
rexbuton:

I failed to express my ideas clearly.. What meant was that we shouldn't self medicate or meet the chemist guy instead of a seeing a doctor first

Could you suggest a more appropriate title?

How about "Why should not get eyedrops without prescription"?

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by Onegai(f): 12:02pm On May 01, 2016
Good one. I've only self-medicated for my eyes once (I had a burn) and I looked up past cases to know that I needed Corticosteroid drops for about 3 days max.

Could you also explain to everyone on the thread, the difference between an Ophtamologist and Optometrist or Optician? A lot of people don't know and some unscrupulous medical practioners will see some patients who need Opthamologists and insist on treating them (because they're chasing money).
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by Harmored(m): 2:11pm On May 01, 2016
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by tommykiwi(m): 2:11pm On May 01, 2016
K
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by jaksabbey(m): 2:11pm On May 01, 2016
Space for sale ooh jaree
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by tommykiwi(m): 2:15pm On May 01, 2016
What will U use to back this up.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by jauntty: 2:19pm On May 01, 2016
Good write up

People abuse visine a lot, especially ladies.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 01, 2016
i cherish my eyes so much.
Like d yorubas will say "Oju ni imole ara" ...The eyes is d light of d body.
May we not lose our sight.
op.. thanks for d info wink

1 Like

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by jauntty: 2:24pm On May 01, 2016
rexbuton:

That's true! There is no worse evil than fake drugs
Very true. People end up causing so much harm to their vision in an attempt to self-medicate or use expired products
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by homeboy205: 2:24pm On May 01, 2016
The OP is very right,

About 2 weeks ago, I had a subconjuctival hermorrage(Blood in the eyes)from a domestic violence in the both eyes. It happened on Friday and I didn't bother to go to the hospital because according to what I read online it should go by itself after some days... So to speed up the process I went and buy visine eye drop(eye Whitner) hoping it will speed up the clearing not knowing I'm making things worse. The first night I slept fine but the second night was hell for me couldn't sleep from eyes pain and I couldn't face a little light not even my phone screen light. I waited hoping it will clear but on The following Tuesday I couldn't bear it anymore had to go to UCH Ibadan, then I made an appointment with a GOPD doctor who refer me to opthamology department, wow come see eyinbo untop my eyes Oo I was taken under series of machine for my eye test...

Later they concluded the visine had made things worse because It has made my eye swell more on the inside and it drys my eyes as well...

Well they prescribed their own medication which didn't have to do with eye drops or what so ever....

After 2 days of using the eye drop voila my eyes is clear and back to normal...

SELF PRESCRIPTION IS KILLING US IN NIGERIA

9 Likes

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by Babyphinas(f): 2:28pm On May 01, 2016
Noted
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by Originalsly: 2:33pm On May 01, 2016
People want quick fix....the problem must go away immediately...or in the case of visine use... eyes must look white and clean...fresh new looking eyes. Never mind what damage is done later. .. they can always run to the know it all have it all chemist ... or here at Nairaland asking as we see so often "What drug can I use for bla bla bla?" Whatever drug is advised...half of a teaspoon of sniper in a glass of water at sunrise and at sunset for three days.... they take without question.... only to blame the witches in the village when things fall apart. I hope this thread would be an eye opener for many of us.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by pharmguru: 2:33pm On May 01, 2016
thnk God the OP said "CHEMIST" ....

dts why we hv also being shouting...."GET UR DRUGS FROM A PHARMACY" not som random chemist.
a good pharmacist wil nt dispense such drugs if it requires a prescription. and willl also ask u som questns bfor giving u d drugs cos he knws both d good nd harm drugs can cause.

if u cnt acess a pharmacy...mk sure u hv d contact of a pharmacist for proffessional advic befor u use drugs bought from a chemist.

9 Likes

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by DrKlever(m): 2:38pm On May 01, 2016
you better remove pharmacy from your post young man...... how dare you decimate the profession to the extent of classifying pharmacist with chemist.. you have forgotten there is any such thing as consultant pharmacist... a pharmacist should not only dispense drug but check the clinical condition and health history of the patient, that is why you have some basic test equipment in a pharmacy. don't confuse a pharmacy technician and chemist to a pharmacist who is a trained medical professional...

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by olafum1(m): 2:50pm On May 01, 2016
Don't take any drug without prescription..
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by ebony2011(m): 2:52pm On May 01, 2016
Op you have a good write up.But you have limited knowledge about pharmacy. pharmacist produce drugs not doctors.The pharmacist is in the best position to counsel you on which drug is appropriate OK.
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by Chukazu: 3:20pm On May 01, 2016
swaggzo:
ONE TIME, I BOUGHT TWO PACKS OF PRESCRIBED EYE DROPS FROM A VERY BIG/POPULAR PHARM OWNED BY ONE OF THOSE GREEDY POT BELLIED IGBO MEN, BASED IN KADUNA STATE..

you bought the drops from a popular pharm..
that is enough info, why telling us the tribe and how big his belle is?
Stop all this nonsense stereotype!

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by ngoziama: 3:21pm On May 01, 2016
rexbuton:
lalasticlala please push this to front page
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by BCJAY(f): 3:28pm On May 01, 2016
The eye is very sensitive organ my elder child mistakenly put stick in the younger ones eye when she complains of pain I put my sons eye drop for itching Inside only for it to persist. I took her to the eye clinic when the thing was opened I burst into tears, I have been nursing it for over two weeks given hourly drugs, she said if not it will be surgery which I detest, so we should be very careful with the care of our eyes.. My take
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by KingRex1(m): 3:38pm On May 01, 2016
swaggzo:

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS, I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO BE IN A HASTE.. ..I DIDN'T BOTHER TO CHECK FOR THE EXPIRY DATE.. . (OR I THOUGHT ITS GON BE AUTHENTIC BECAUSE THE SHOP LOOKED GOOD).

I BOUGHT THE DROPS FOR 1,000 EACH, BUT IT TOOK ME ABOUT 20,000 TO FIX THE DAMAGE THE SOLUTION DID TO MY EYES IN JUST 2 DAYS OF USAGE.. ... IT WAS THEN THAT I CHECKED AND COMPARED THEM BOTH TO THE ONE I WAS GIVEN AT THE NATIONAL EYE CENTER KD, MEHN.. ... THE LABELS WERE EVEN ARABIC undecided

I FELT I DESERVED AN AWARD FOR BEING THE MOST STUPIID PERSON ON EARTH. .. LIKE, I SHOULD OCCUPY BOTH THE FIRST, SECOND, AND THIRD POSITIONS CUZ JUST ONE PERSON COULDN'T BE THAT UNREASONABLE! embarassed

I CALLED THE NAFDAC ON THEM, I WAS 19 THEN. I WASN'T BOLD ENOUGH TO FIGHT FOR JUSTICE.

I STILL CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW NAFDAC LET THEM GO AFTER COLLECTING SOME CHEAP BRIBE!

NIGERIAN....

Lol pele
Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by professore(m): 3:47pm On May 01, 2016
STEROID: I like the part where they talked of gradual disengagement of medication rather than stopping as soon as symptoms are gone.

Although the golden rule is to let a doctor tell us how to use a drug and indeed how to stop them.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should not get eye drops without prescription by hopeforcharles(m): 4:06pm On May 01, 2016
swaggzo:

I BOUGHT THE DROPS FOR 1,000 EACH, BUT IT TOOK ME ABOUT 20,000 TO FIX THE DAMAGE THE SOLUTION DID TO MY EYES IN JUST 2 DAYS OF USAGE.. ... IT WAS THEN THAT I CHECKED AND COMPARED THEM BOTH TO THE ONE I WAS GIVEN AT THE NATIONAL EYE CENTER KD, MEHN.. ... THE LABELS WERE EVEN ARABIC undecided

NIGERIAN....

See how silly ur statement and report are one pot bellied igboman, you are an ignorant, the mistake that I felt the igbo man did was, he never did a test or knew the kind of eye problem you have, that medicine you saw with Arabic is an international drug maybe from Pakistan or Arabia or any other Arabic country and mind you they are the best as long as standard of Drugs in Nigeria is concerned, you don't know shit but you talk trash, sometimes you guys need ur brain checked. A'ole

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Self Care Tips For A Young Nigerian / Lassa Fever : Rat Poison, Trap Sellers Record High Sales In Abuja / Tips For Fresh Breath

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.