Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,985 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage (1161 Views)

Ajaero’s NLC Faction Backs Out Of Strike / Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage / NLC Proposes N56,000 As Minimum Wage To Fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by Nobody: 8:57am On May 01, 2016
Another faction of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), led by one Joe Ajaero, yesterday rejected the N56,000 national minimum wage proposal reportedly sent to the Federal Government by an NLC faction led by Ayuba Wabba and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC), saying it was not in line with economic difficulties faced by Nigerians.

At a pre-May Day symposium, titled, “Inclusive Socio-Economic Space for Sustainable Development”, Ajaero told his audience that his faction of NLC was not part of the N56,000 proposal because the cost of living today and other socio-economic realities workers were faced with in the midst of the current exchange rate of the Nigerian currency, it was obvious that the N56,000 was off the mark.

The NLC he led, the factional NLC leader stated, was demanding N90,000 national minimum wage based on the current exchange rate, noting that should the exchange rate go above N500 per dollar, NLC would demand for more than N90,000.

Ajaero said: “No sacrifice is too much to liberate the Nigerian workers. Every year, we go to the stadium to salute those who have been enslaving us, those who have refused to pay us minimum living national wage. But since last year, we have been forced to gather under the bridge of the National Stadium, which we have named `Workers Freedom Square’.

We will gather, match through the streets, take the May Day to the real owners, the Nigerian workers and masses, to tell them that there is no electricity despite the astronomical tariff, that there is no fuel, that there are no good roads, that public universities are being closed down, that there are no jobs and so on and so forth.

“Few days ago, we were told that N56.000 minimum wage proposal has been sent to the government. We want to tell you that we are not part of that because even as they were sending the proposal, they equally said that they know that the economy is bad. By the time you say that, it means that the proposal is dead on arrival. We all know that the current minimum wage is less that the electricity bill paid by most workers.

On our part, we are demanding N90,000 minimum wage. The N90,000 we are demanding is with a proviso, depending on the exchange rate. If the exchange rate goes above N500 a dollar, we will ask for more.” Delivering the pre-May Day symposium, human rights activist and former lecturer at The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State, Dr. Femi Aborishade, called for a united struggle for a national living minimum wage as prescribed by the Constitution.

According to him, Ajaero, Wabba led NLC and TUC should unite and come out with a national living minimum wage, because the ruling class had institutionalized poverty, unemployment and illiteracy among others.

Source: http://www.ngread.com/nlc-faction-rejects-n56000-minimum-wage-proposal-demands-n90000.html
Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by juniorportland(m): 9:07am On May 01, 2016
are they high?....,where naija wan see that kain money

1 Like

Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by DaBullIT(m): 9:11am On May 01, 2016
Yoruba will say if you want to eat frog, eat the pregnant one with eggs ( if you have an aim, aim for the best)

Why they said that, I wouldn't know, I've not bothered asking

Same Yoruba said A little is enough out of someone else's possession (that means don't be too greedy)

56k is good for starters , Collect that first before asking for more
Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by nnachukz(m): 9:12am On May 01, 2016
Now I know these people are as dull as Buhari. Full of mighty wishes and promises that are not feasible.

1 Like

Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:00am On May 01, 2016
These people don't understand that such demand is IMPOSSIBLE

2 Likes

Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by omohayek: 10:56am On May 01, 2016
Why don't they come out and wish for castles in the sky, while they're at it? The very idea of a national minimum wage is problematic, especially in a country with such low worker productivity.
Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by ckmayoca: 11:14am On May 01, 2016
NLC the first wacked union in nigeria followed by JOHESU
Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by kolnel: 11:16am On May 01, 2016
I take it as a joke
He better add another zero to it
So workers can be paid once in two years
Bunch of jokers who has lost touch with reality

1 Like

Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by kYjelly2: 12:14pm On May 01, 2016
Every commenter on here deserves a dirty slap, from engine oil stained hands, mtcheew undecided

Nigerians, always suffering and smiling, cowards and shhhhit eaters!!

So NLC is fighting for you (or your people), but you go about talking trash

So Fashola can build website for 78 million,

Senate can buy common car for 38 million,

But workers can't get a liveable pay bah

Dafffft Nigerians, mtchhew.

NLC, I support this amount and I suggest you stand as firmly as you can, so that even if you give any ground, like 10k or 20k, my people will still be able to live like humans on 70k per month.

1 Like

Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by kYjelly2: 12:22pm On May 01, 2016
So annoyed at these useless commenters

Is 18k enough to live on

Even 50k, is that enough When you have to pay rent, transportation, medical bills, feeding, home needs, etc

You guys thought process is one that belongs in the prehistoric age.

If they can't afford to pay them full time, then employ people part time and pay them per hour.

How will someone work 40 hours a week, maybe more and take home 18k Even 50k

Fvck all u guys men, you are all part of the problems of this shhhithole country. I just wish I could slap every one that commented above, bastards
Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by kYjelly2: 12:32pm On May 01, 2016
If workers can't get paid a liveable wage, then I see no reason why the presidency, senate and all top government reps should be living a flamboyant lifestyle.

If you cant pay workers a liveable wage, then it means we are broke and you really shouldn't be getting an official car worth 38 million.

It means the senate head shouldnt be getting an official car of like 200 million

It means the president shouldn't even have one jet, talk less of eleven.

It means government reps shouldnt be paid estacode.

It means governments shouldn't be spending 1 billion yearly on feeding.

It means, furniture allowances, newspaper allowances, medical allowances and all should be scrapped.

They say they don't have money to pay, if that's the case, why are they using the little money we don't have to give themselves allowances from head to toe

If they don't have money, then the only thing they should collect is salary, cus after all, we don't have money right

Gov shouldn't tell us crap about no money and then be collecting newspaper allowance, da fvck.

Pay for that newspaper from your own salary.

Pay for that official car from your own salary.

Pay flight tickets to meetings in Nigeria and abroad from your own salary.

On your own OYO, mtcheew
Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by Mekus68: 12:41pm On May 01, 2016
Lalasticlala, meet me @ Y junction lets set up our own NLC faction & ask for a minimum wage of 200k.
Buhari will listen to us more than these onse.
Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by femicyrus(m): 1:25pm On May 01, 2016
if the Senate are workers but not looters then their monthly income should become minimum wage for nigerian worker
Re: Another NLC Faction Demands N90,000 As Minimum Wage by omohayek: 7:35pm On May 01, 2016
kYjelly2:
Every commenter on here deserves a dirty slap, from engine oil stained hands, mtcheew undecided

Nigerians, always suffering and smiling, cowards and shhhhit eaters!!

So NLC is fighting for you (or your people), but you go about talking trash

So Fashola can build website for 78 million,

Senate can buy common car for 38 million,

But workers can't get a liveable pay bah

Dafffft Nigerians, mtchhew.

NLC, I support this amount and I suggest you stand as firmly as you can, so that even if you give any ground, like 10k or 20k, my people will still be able to live like humans on 70k per month.

You can be as angry as you want, and throw as many insults as you want, but at the end of the day, raising the minimum wage to whatever fantasy level you want won't magically give you the income boost you desire. Where exactly do you think all this extra money is going to come from? Are you really ignorant enough to think employers will keep people around whose output is worth far less than their cost? Do you think businesses are charity organizations? If you do, let me have some of that Oshogbo weed you're smoking!

Let me tell you exactly what will happen if dreamers like you get your way: huge numbers of businesses that are already struggling will be forced to shut down, or start paying their workers off the books (at which point no one will be able to force them to pay any minimum whatsoever). Simultaneously, the unemployment will skyrocket, and competition for the few jobs that are remaining will become even more ferocious. The only set of workers who will have relatively little to worry about are those who work in high-skill, high productivity organizations, meaning most of them will already be earning a lot more than the new minimum you set.

As these economic tendencies increase, the likes of you and your fellow fantasists will come out on the streets again, demanding an even higher minimum wage, and if you get your way, the vicious cycle will repeat faster and faster, shooting up the inflation rate and turning the country into another Venezuela or Zimbabwe, a basket-case where even basics like toilet paper come to seem like gold. At that point what you currently think of as "hardship" will start to look to you like the height of luxury!

When it comes to economics, what seems "heartless" is often the truly kind thing to do, and vice versa. Nigerians are already seeing that with Buhari and his campaign to "save" the Naira, which is actually killing it. The last thing the economy needs is similarly "kind" thinking about the minimum wage.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Love Goodluck Jonathan But.. - Fayose / Buhari Releases Statement Following Latest Attack On Pipelines. / Constitution Amendment Or Legislative Coup? Our Legislators Have Gone Mad Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.