Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,166 members, 7,957,335 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:15 AM

Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? (646 Views)

Presidency To Begin Town Hall Meetings Across Nigeria – Aide / Buhari Begins Town Hall Meetings / PDP Youth Mobilization And Town Hall Meetings (Live Pictures From The Launch) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by bawomolo(m): 6:01pm On Aug 10, 2009
As most of you know, Senators and Representatives have being holding town hall meetings during their August break (and not going abroad for a medical check up) about the health care reform bill.  Some of these meetings have been fierce but it shows the senators care about what their electorate think. 

So my question is do you think our representatives should hold town hall meetings to inform their constituency on whats going in the legislature?

Would you attend if your Rep was holding a town hall meeting and do you think such meetings would be fair?  Can these meetings create change?
Re: Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 10, 2009
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy they wont live to tell the story.
Re: Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by bawomolo(m): 6:07pm On Aug 10, 2009
davidylan:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy they wont live to tell the story.

oh ok, what about a televised conference or internet chat like fashola  grin grin

The thought of a senator getting kidnapped during a town hall meeting would be hilarious.
Re: Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by Kobojunkie: 6:08pm On Aug 10, 2009
bawomolo:

So my question is do you think our representatives should hold town hall meetings to inform their constituency on whats going in the legislature?
That is what they ought to be doing in the first place. How else would they understand what their constituency favours if they do not interact with them in some way?

bawomolo:
Would you attend if your Rep was holding a town hall meetings and do you think such meetings would be fair?  Can these meetings create change?

You darn right I would. I would schedule my next trip around one of those such meetings so I can show up and voice my opinion. Heck, I would hire a scoreboard to make sure he sees my question in huge FONT. roflmao!!
Re: Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by nex(m): 6:10pm On Aug 10, 2009
Town Hall Meetings are originally our own culture, I don't know why we've done away with them.
Re: Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by Fhemmmy: 6:13pm On Aug 10, 2009
That will be a great thing if it can be done.
However, our leaders dont really give a damn, they only need the masses once every 4 years during re-election, and they dont make a promise that they tend to keep.
It would be nice, if they can give a chance for the people to voice their mind and actually work for the people, the way it ought to have been
Re: Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by bawomolo(m): 6:25pm On Aug 10, 2009
you guys are right.

why do Nigerian politicians only appear when it's election time.

Would it hurt if Nigerians could ask about the freedom of information bill or what the hell has been done with the suggestions from the power probe.

Heck, I would hire a scoreboard to make sure he sees my question in huge FONT. roflmao!!

security would be waiting for you  grin grin

nex:

Town Hall Meetings are originally our own culture, I don't know why we've done away with them.

if the meeting isn't in Abuja. forget about it
Re: Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by Fhemmmy: 6:31pm On Aug 10, 2009
nex:

cos politics in Nigeria is no more anything to do with the grass root, all u need is a good god-father and you can be from oshun and be the next senator in ogun state.
Re: Should Our Legislators Hold Town Hall Meetings? by back2back(f): 10:34pm On Aug 10, 2009
Townhall was regualarly done even during the military era.

Thats not solution to anything!

The guy organising it will steal more money from Government accounts for organising such events.

(1) (Reply)

Who Should Be The Next President Of Nigeria Come 2011 / How Nigeria Mismanaged Asia Oil Deals / Boko Haram: A Call For Revolution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.