Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,656 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers (21117 Views)

Travelling To Russia For The 2018 World Cup Let’s Meet Here / Peace Mass Bus Travelling To Abuja Involved In Fatal Accident,Many Dead(photos) / Travelling To Canada Part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 10:31am On May 02, 2016
I spent almost 3 months in Benin Republic, all through out my stay there, I was coming to the border for most of my financial transactions. I always see the stress and pain most first time travelers with passport(Virgin) or even those with other countries visas on their passport. They're asked to pay outrages amount of cash. I happen to meet a young Nigerian girl looking frustrated, because she was tired of paying money for no just reason.
From mile 2.take a bus going to Seme border.
1. When you get to the border, be ready to pay #2000 for Yellow Card, if you don't have one.
2. For a Virgin passport you'll be charged #1000 - 2000 @ the Nigeria Immigration Desk
3.At the Benin Rep side you'll also pay #1000
After that be ready to pay BTW #100- #200 at each of their little blockades.
For me, as long as I have paid for entering the country to their immigration, No Idi*t dare ask me of any money again. All depends on your strong will
* please be very careful @ the border, because they're thieves and robbers roaming and looking for easy pry. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by divinehand2003(m): 10:39am On May 02, 2016
Hmmmm

It can be annoying crossing borders esp in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Bisjosh(f): 3:15pm On Jul 31, 2016
elderken:
I spent almost 3 months in Benin Republic, all through out my stay there, I was coming to the border for most of my financial transactions. I always see the stress and pain most first time travelers with passport(Virgin) or even those with other countries visas on their passport. They're asked to pay outrages amount of cash. I happen to meet a young Nigerian girl looking frustrated, because she was tired of paying money for no just reason.
1. When you get to the border, be ready to pay #2000 for Yellow Card, if you don't have one.
2. For a Virgin passport you'll be charged #1000 - 2000 @ the Nigeria Immigration Desk
For me, as long as I have paid for entering the country to their immigration, No Idi*t dare ask me of any money again. All depends on your strong will
* please be very careful @ the border, because they're thieves and robbers roaming and looking for easy pry. Cheers

Do they have malls there? Or side attractions?

How expensive are hotels there?
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 8:28am On Aug 01, 2016
Bisjosh:

Do they have malls there? Or side attractions?

How expensive are hotels there?
They're good supermarket here, although quite expensive for my liking ' Naija Guy ' concern. But it's quite a nice place. Let me know when you're going.
Hotel are a little on the high side, depending on the area and standard of the hotel.
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Bisjosh(f): 9:18am On Aug 01, 2016
elderken:

They're good supermarket here, although quite expensive for my liking ' Naija Guy ' concern. But it's quite a nice place. Let me know when you're going.
Hotel are a little on the high side, depending on the area and standard of the hotel.

Thanks for the feedback. I presume you stay there. When I visit, would like to buy a few things. That's if they are reasonably priced.

Can I get a tourist guide for a day or two?
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 7:35am On Aug 02, 2016
Bisjosh:

Thanks for the feedback. I presume you stay there. When I visit, would like to buy a few things. That's if they are reasonably priced.

Can I get a tourist guide for a day or two?
I shuttle BTW Lagos and Cotonou, although I still have a place of residence there. When you're ready to come lemme know can help you with a guide.
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Bisjosh(f): 8:36am On Aug 02, 2016
elderken:

I shuttle BTW Lagos and Cotonou, although I still have a place of residence there. When you're ready to come lemme know can help you with a guide.

Thanks, will let u know ahead
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by 12345abcde: 6:03am On Dec 12, 2016
@ Bisjosh, did you travel already?

Also, i need advice on accomodation, guide and handling of funds (which bank ATM Cards can one use there?)

@Elderken, your input will be highly appreciated.

@All,

Please if you can make inputs, I will be highly grateful.

Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by 12345abcde: 7:17pm On Dec 12, 2016
Please can someone reply?

?
?
?

12345abcde:
@ Bisjosh, did you travel already?

Also, i need advice on accomodation, guide and handling of funds (which bank ATM Cards can one use there?)

@Elderken, your input will be highly appreciated.

@All,

Please if you can make inputs, I will be highly grateful.

Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 2:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
Sorry for the late response. Been trying to prepare for my next bck pack tour.
As per ATM. I normally make use of fcmb card ND my EU bank card for withdrawals or payments.
As per accommodation your can book an apartment online or hotel depending on your stay duration. Hope this help

As for the guide I can see what to do about that. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by 12345abcde: 3:53pm On Dec 13, 2016
Thanks. Thanks, this goes a long way.

Do you know any bank in Cotonou that can pay USD?

elderken:
Sorry for the late response. Been trying to prepare for my next bck pack tour.
As per ATM. I normally make use of fcmb card ND my EU bank card for withdrawals or payments.
As per accommodation your can book an apartment online or hotel depending on your stay duration. Hope this help

As for the guide I can see what to do about that. Cheers
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 6:43am On Dec 14, 2016
Some atm do dispense usd so I have. Heard. But am content using cfa for all my transactions.
12345abcde:
Thanks. Thanks, this goes a long way.

Do you know any bank in Cotonou that can pay USD?

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 11, 2017
Greetings sir,
I'd like to come to cotonou for business. I just completed my nysc and we all know the story of unemployment in Nigeria. Presently, I'm a hussler,i import little stuffs from Asian countries,i'd like to come to cotonou to sell them,but I don't know anybody in cotonou and I don't speak French. I'd like you to be kind enough to help in taking me or provide for me a guide who could take me to a big market like Tokpa,so I can sell to traders there. You could drop you number here so I can reach you, or, better still, this is my number 08055544609
Please sir,i'd be happy if you would be kind enough to help a young boy that is just starting out in life.

elderken:

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by SGANIVA(m): 1:25pm On Feb 12, 2017
what do you import ?my business is in cotonou
illuminated93:
Greetings sir,
I'd like to come to cotonou for business. I just completed my nysc and we all know the story of unemployment in Nigeria. Presently, I'm a hussler,i import little stuffs from Asian countries,i'd like to come to cotonou to sell them,but I don't know anybody in cotonou and I don't speak French. I'd like you to be kind enough to help in taking me or provide for me a guide who could take me to a big market like Tokpa,so I can sell to traders there. You could drop you number here so I can reach you, or, better still, this is my number 08055544609
Please sir,i'd be happy if you would be kind enough to help a young boy that is just starting out in life.

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by celestialAgent(m): 4:21pm On Feb 12, 2017
SGANIVA:
what do you import ?my business is in cotonou
You have a pm
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by SGANIVA(m): 6:53pm On Feb 12, 2017
my whatsapp is up here
celestialAgent:
You have a pm
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by celestialAgent(m): 8:26am On Feb 14, 2017
SGANIVA:
my whatsapp is up here
I can see your number. Kindly drop it so I can add you up.
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by ifybloom: 1:34pm On May 31, 2017
Hello I hope i am not late, I intend taking my kids for vacation in july 2017.

I am so worried on the boarder issues as i will be coming with my 5 months baby. I learnt i can hire a car at the filling station in the boarder, negotiate with them and they cross us over. Are they reliable
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by flexxyworld(m): 3:43pm On May 31, 2017
ifybloom:

I am so worried on the boarder issues as i will be coming with my 5 months baby. I learnt i can hire a car at the filling station in the boarder, negotiate with them and they cross us over. Are they reliable

can you come thru the sango border ?? its quite easier from there.. just 300naira bike will take you cross behind the border and you do your exchange of money once you enter. ensure you have more than sufficient airtime for roaming and board a cab too cotonou for 1500cfa the last time I went and stop at tunde motors, there's a nice hotel around that area. price range from 2300naira -2500naira upwards.. I'm sure you gonna love it. nice beach life, easy life, just ensure you enjoy poulea (chicken ) and lakaye (raw yoghurt with condense milk) shallom

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 9:05pm On May 31, 2017
Where are you coming from?.
You can. Still cross easily from seme border, in as much you have your passports
You can also take bike to me across, If you're without passport.
ifybloom:

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Sybil90: 11:19am On Sep 25, 2017
Please I need suggestions for good and affordable hotels in Cotonou. I plan on traveling in October
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Victornet: 5:43pm On Dec 25, 2017
Hello,
Please I'm planning to travel to Cotonou by Easter 2018 for some purchases. How do I go about it? Like, do I necessarily need a passport? If yes, would I need a Visa to get across for my business?

Your kind replies are all welcome.
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by toprealman: 11:16am On Mar 25, 2018
elderken:
let me have ur digits pls
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Mazoo69: 2:32pm On Aug 04, 2018
please how much is it to cotonou from mile2 biko and where can i get original shea butter in cotonou, name of market and area as ive never been there and price of a moderate hotel for two days and price of car hire for a day, i need the prices in naira please based on current exchange rate. BLESS YOU
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Mazoo69: 2:34pm On Aug 04, 2018
id appreciate someone with a vast knowledge of shea butter to give me prices based on kilos in naira for the current exchange rate. thank you very much. Mazoo
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Bimpe91: 8:55pm On Aug 05, 2018
Bigjoe pls I only have my voters card and international passport, do I still need any other yellow card like u said? Or what other documents will I need
elderken:

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Bimpe91: 9:04pm On Aug 05, 2018
Big Joe I only have my passport and voters card with me, the yellow card I Dont have. How do I obtain it pls. Will they give me at cotonou border
elderken:

Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Bimpe91: 9:26pm On Aug 05, 2018
From there , how can I get to Togo, can I get to Togo that same day or the next , I want my passport stamped
Bimpe91:
Big Joe I only have my passport and voters card with me, the yellow card I Dont have. How do I obtain it pls. Will they give me at cotonou border
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by Triniti(m): 12:05am On Aug 06, 2018
Bimpe91:
Yes you can get the yellow card at the Nigerian side of the border for 2k
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 12:45pm On Aug 08, 2018
Bimpe91:
you can get it at seme border from the port health officials. 2k. The public health guys will also charge you to have their stamped on it.
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 12:46pm On Aug 08, 2018
Mazoo69:
please how much is it to cotonou from mile2 biko and where can i get original shea butter in cotonou, name of market and area as ive never been there and price of a moderate hotel for two days and price of car hire for a day, i need the prices in naira please based on current exchange rate. BLESS YOU
be prepared for anything. Prices fluctuate. N:B hold enough cash.
Re: Travelling To Cotonou For First Timers by elderken(m): 12:47pm On Aug 08, 2018
Bimpe91:
From there , how can I get to Togo, can I get to Togo that same day or the next , I want my passport stamped
you can get buses going to Togo from tokpa.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Stranded In UAE, Neglected By Nigerian Embassy / UK Deports 83 Nigerians / 51-year-old Taraba Bridge Collapses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.