Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU (9022 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by luxanne(f): 4:02pm On May 02, 2016
Good day and welcome to the third place finals of NISD competition.

As the thread reads, this battle is going to be between two schools,

The Lagos State University and

Abu Zaria

In which one of these schools must come out triumphant at the end of the competition.

The topic to be discussed is,

[size=14pt]Social Media: A tool for measuring effective leadership.[/size]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by luxanne(f): 4:19pm On May 02, 2016
Supporting

Lagos State University generally regarded as Lasu was established in 1983 by the enabling Law of Lagos State of Nigeria, for the advancement of learning and establishment of academic excellence.
Chancellor: Molade Okoya-Thomas

Her philosophy is, For truth and service

Meet her representatives:

►NeonDee

►IamDejman

►Timidelaw

►horlapelumi

►Eduntee

Opposing

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1403613_abulogo_jpeg76ff220cc807e4d2031970f376113b54

Ahmadu Bello University popularly known as ABU is a Federal Government Research University located in Zaria, Kaduna State. ABU was founded on October 4, 1962, as the University of Northern Nigeria. The University is named after the Sardauna of Sokoto, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, the first premier of Northern Nigeria. The school has a slogan that says “ABU naturally ahead of you”.

The Vice Chancellor is Professor Ibrahim Garba

Her philosophy - “The first duty of every University is the search for and the spread of knowledge and the establishment of the nation."

I present to you the ABU debaters:

Catalyst4real

► Abuklaw

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by luxanne(f): 4:33pm On May 02, 2016
DEBATE RULES

Kindly read.

1.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is the default colour (black).

2.) The essay should be in maximum of 1000 words.

3.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

4.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

5.) All essays must be submitted on the stipulated date and time.

6.) Sole representatives are not allowed during the competition, both representatives must be present.

7.) All representatives are to engage in rebuttals and give answers to questions raised by the judges and the audience.

8.) Word counts should be strictly adhered to. http://www.wordcounttool.com/

9.) Mindless lifting is outrightly discouraged

10.) Defaulters will be penalized when caught
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by luxanne(f): 4:38pm On May 02, 2016
PROCEDURES
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by luxanne(f): 4:39pm On May 02, 2016
DEBATE MODALITIES

5 points to be awarded to each criteria.

1. Presentation (opening, flow, paragraphs, grammar, punctuations, word count, closing,)

2. Logic of arguments

3. Strength of facts, examples, cases.

4. Persuasiveness

5. Demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the subject

6. Rebuttals and response to questions raised by the judges and the audience.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by luxanne(f): 4:43pm On May 02, 2016
And now, let us take this time out to appreciate all that has made this event what it is, a grand success.

To all the debaters from the essay submission stage til date, we love and appreciate you all.

To the organizers, coordinators, judges and all Nairaland ers, your unrelenting support are also well appreciated.

And to our dear sponsors, thank you, thank you for investing in this.

Cc:

Ymodulus

Ifyalways

Jarus

Jaybee3

Amiloaded.com

All judges

GIVEAWAYS

► A hard copy of the book "The Road to Victoria Island" authored by Mr. Jarus to the debaters of the winning school.

► A soft copy (ebook version) to be given to each debater of the second placed team.

► Best debater to be invited to JarusHub Networking Event - an avenue to meet and dine with some Lagos professionals in a top restaurant in Lagos (This meet holds on every last Saturday of every month, and the debater is free to choose the month he prefers from June to December 2016).

Courtesy: JarusHub Career Consulting

If you are reading this and you are also interested in sponsoring this educational event, kindly reach us on - - nairalandinterschooldebate@gmail.com.

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 6:50pm On May 02, 2016
DATE: 8th MAY 2016
TIME: 12pm

CHIEF HOST
Seun GCFR-NL
Mark Zuckergerg of Nigeria
CEO of Nairaland

CHAIRMAN
lalasticlala

CHAIRLADY
Dominique wink

Olawalebabs
Fynestboi
Richiez

CHIEF COORDINATOR

Word alone cannot express my profound gratitude towards your support ma, the only thing i can say, is for God to help me attend to all your heartfelt request speedily. I sincerely love and appreciate you.
Luxanne kiss

COORDINATOR
I really appreciate your effort towards the success of this debate. You guys are the best. I honestly love you all
Fattybabakay
Tosyn2much
Dygeasy
Scentmarlc
Aminat508
Naijaboiy
Miscallenous
Honeydear

JUDGES
Thank you so much sirs and mas for your time despite your other offline schedules. Thanks God bless you all.

Hidentity
Obinoscopy
Jarus
Uj sizzle
Caracta
Ishilove
KingTom
Herexg
Xynerize
Adeaks
Larrysun
Isacolukay
Rocktation
Crazyman
Joseph1832
Ask4bigneyo
Tonyebarcanista
FreemanDave
Naijadeyhia
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 11:55am On May 08, 2016
11:54

Catalystic4real
Abuklaw
NeonDee

►IamDejman
►Timidelaw
►horlapelumi
►Eduntee
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:03pm On May 08, 2016
OK...

12:03.pm
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:04pm On May 08, 2016
Going by the stated time given to the contestants, I hereby declare the debate to decide the third place holder of Nairaland interschool Debate Third edition open.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:07pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
Going by the stated time given to the contestants, I hereby declare the debate to decide the third place holder of Nairaland interschool Debate Third edition open.

Catalystic4real
Abuklaw
Holarpelumi
Timidelaw
IamDejman

You have just 30mins to post your argument.

Failure to comply might lead to making the third place vacate.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:09pm On May 08, 2016
luxanne:
Meet the judges.

HerexG
Jarus
Isacolukay

Date : 8th May, 2016

Time: 12pm
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Catalyst4real: 12:09pm On May 08, 2016
we can't just start posting our debates in an inorderly manner
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:12pm On May 08, 2016
Catalyst4real:
we can't just start posting our debates in an inorderly manner

Go ahead with your argument...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Catalyst4real: 12:13pm On May 08, 2016
I seem to be the only one present, I'll like the presence of the rest to be affirmed first
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:22pm On May 08, 2016
Catalyst4real:
I seem to be the only one present, I'll like the presence of the rest to be affirmed first

Their presence don't have to be affirm before you do the needful.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Catalyst4real: 12:24pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:

Their presence don't have to be affirm before you do the needful.
okay sir
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:27pm On May 08, 2016
Catalyst4real:

okay sir

So go ahead..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Catalyst4real: 12:28pm On May 08, 2016
Name: Catalyst4real

Institution: ABU Zaria

Topic: Social Media: A tool for measuring effective leadership

Stance: Opposing

In the acute existence of a truly effective government, do we really need the media as an indicator of reform, or as an informant of the government's desultory assiduity?

With concerted climax candour, I recognize the presence of Mr Seun Osewa, The CEO of Nairaland; The unbiased judges, The exuberant coordinators, my ever tenacious opponents, the congenial audience and my honourable colleague, Abuklaw

What is effective leadership?
In the most simplest definition, effective leaders are leaders who make things happen.

I have tried so diligently to see the logic in the debate, which upholds the media as a tool for the measurement of effective leadership, but I've found none.

We live in a country where the media only has a one directional purpose in politics. A tool for discharging fake promises, the painting of an ideal future, insurmountable lies and never-to-be-implemented visions.

And over the years, this trick has worked so flawlessly, solely because, Nigerians are one of the most gullible set of nationals to ever walk the earth.
When we elect leaders, we do not look out for qualities, It's always about casting out votes for a candidate who happens to be of the same tribe, religion and region as us; Still the reason Nigeria as a nation cannot boast of any effective leader. How are the mighty fallen!

Devalued currency, unemployment, heightened price of commodities, lack of fuel and electricity, bad roads, obsolete infrastructures, corruption and money looting, abandoned industries, inflation, untamed insurgencies, unstable monetary and fiscal policies. Etc
All these are results of a nation governed by ineffective leaders.
Quite the imbroglio, but if you do not need the media to be aware of all these pestilential qualities of ineffective leadership, you definitely don't need the media as an informant, on the emergence of an effective government .

And on a more Frank note, if the media becomes the oasis through which effective leadership is observed and monitored, then that "effective leadership" is flawed and a breeding ground for lethargy, fallacies and and lies. Progress Is suppose to be so intercalary and universally widespread that it can be felt not only in the media and urban areas, but perpetuated impeccably in the rural and less developed areas; Areas estranged to all forms of "Media"
That is what quintessential effective leaders bring.

When a truly functional government is in existence, I assure you, the media is the least source of enlightenment required.
The reformation and progress is felt from the top notch level down to grass level.

"The greatest aspect of change, does not consist in a change that can only be heard or seen, but one that can be felt"__Steve Jobs
There's no one more qualified enough to monitor change and progress incarnated by leaders, than the followers, the people who are being led.
How can the media be the tool for monitoring change? It is unthinkable and I cannot accept that

We keep reading in the papers, and in news, how the government are producing good roads, yet all the bad roads in my community have been untouched for more than 15 years.
The government keeps blabbing through the media about how foreign power plants are being installed and adopted, for years; yet and yet, stable electricity is still mythical in
Nigeria

The media is not a tool for measuring effective leadership, but an accessory delirium, through which obtuse exaggerations are disseminated to the masses. The media is now a blatant means of public deception and an exponential bridge for mind games.
I do not want to hear it in the radio, I do not want to see it on the television. I licentiously don't want to be told by my neighbors and neither do I want to read it in the papers. When I'm being governed by effective leaders, I want to feel it.

After the independence of United States of America, the then government pioneered and promoted agriculture(A niche Nigerian government has neglected) and through agriculture came the dawn of industrial revolution.
These were effective leaders, their impact was felt by their subjects, before there was any form of media.

Would I need to see it on the television if there's 24 hour electricity? Or hear it from the radio if petrol is available and affordable to the insolvent peasants?
Patients are still stranded in hospitals, their needs unmet, their ails unattended, and their groveling unchecked due to insufficient bed spaces.
More money now purchases fewer commodities(Inflation).
I didn't need the media to notice all these ineptitudes, I didn't need the media for the enlightenment of these national Lethargies, and I definitely won't need the media to tell me if there's an effective government in place and these loopholes bridged.

In conclusion, we need to get out of this grotesquely jejune shell and estimate progress through our horoscopes; The media will never be the proficient tool for the measurement of effective leadership and on this course I am vehemently obdurate.

Reference
(Leadership)- Book by Williams commodore

(What makes an effective leader?) www.notredameonline.com/resources/leadership-and-management/what-makes-an-effective-leader/

(Outline of US company)
usa.usembassy.de/etexts/oecon/chap3.htm

(Founding fathers|United states history) http://www.britannica.com/topic/Founding-Fathers&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwim_5Xi0r_MAhWB8RQKHUehCOEQFggPMAE&sig2=tkMan-ZFMCRVq5UGLYaWlA&usg=AFQjCNFzH5OsCcP6FwEOHw9QsnDehmIcKw

(Catalyst4real)- www.nairaland.com/catalyst4real

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:37pm On May 08, 2016
Thanks...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 12:37pm On May 08, 2016
Let wait for others.

Once it's 1pm congratulations to..

cheesy
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 1:12pm On May 08, 2016
Interesting piece.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 1:14pm On May 08, 2016
We need audience to contribute.

Please audience we need your contribution on the topic.

[size=18pt]Social Media: A tool for measuring effective leadership [/size]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 1:15pm On May 08, 2016
Thanks Dominique.

You the best ma kiss
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by dominique(f): 1:17pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
Thanks Dominique.

You the best ma kiss

You're welcome undecided
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 1:18pm On May 08, 2016
dominique:

You're welcome undecided

lipsrsealed
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by TippyTop(m): 1:19pm On May 08, 2016
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3rd Edition: Third Place Winner: LASU by Fynestboi: 1:24pm On May 08, 2016
[size=15pt]Can social media really be a good means of measuring effective leadership taking how we constantly castigate our leaders here on Nairaland [/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Don't Pay JS3 Exam Fee " - Lagos State Government / Microbiology Masters Degree: Uniben Postgraduate Programmes 2015/2016 / Spring/Fall US Admits: How To Pay SEVIS Fee in Nigeria With SEVIS Express

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.