Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,525 members, 7,816,283 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage (19340 Views)

Labour Presents New Minimum Wage Demand Above The N56,000 Earlier Proposed / 10 Times EFCC Twitter Handle Gave Epic Replies (pics) / FG To Propose N45,000 Minimum Wage, Meets Labour Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Firefire(m): 5:14am On May 03, 2016
‘No elected public officer should earn 10 times more than minimum wage’

By Bartholomew Madukwe

Human rights activist, Comrade Femi Aborisade, has said that no elected public officer should earn more than 10 times the minimum wage.

At a pre-May Day symposium, titled, “Inclusive Socio-Economic Space for Sustainable Development”, Aborisade said: “Governments that are unable to pay wages as and when due can hardly spare a thought for the future. All public sector salaries (particularly those of the executive and legislative arms of government) be published on local notice boards and on the internet.”

Aborisade said that for sustainable development, there should be daily publication of earnings from sale of crude oil in the international market.

“The concept of sustainable development is therefore concerned with how to manage societal resources today in order to guarantee the welfare of ordinary people at the present in such a way that does not disturb the welfare of future generations,” he added.

He lamented that there is no pension scheme or minimum income guarantee scheme for citizens who were not employed in the public service.

Calling on the labour movment not to allow any government get away with denial of democratic rights, he noted that NLC has a duty to resist violent repression of democratic rights, regardless of who may be the victim.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/no-elected-public-officer-earn-10-times-minimum-wage/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Firefire(m): 5:15am On May 03, 2016
Minimum Wage to all political office holders in Nigeria.

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by ckmayoca: 5:27am On May 03, 2016
This issue na time bomb oh. Waiting forr the elected officers reaction.

1 Like

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by crownwealth: 5:45am On May 03, 2016
Absolutely

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Nobody: 5:46am On May 03, 2016
The cost of running nigeria government is too expensive
How can senators whose job are sinecure receive so much emoluments while workers are paid peanuts
Nigeria's politicians and public office holders will rather die than call for downward review of their salaries
Lets divide this nation,the various sections will determine the best way to run their countries

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Flexherbal(m): 5:53am On May 03, 2016
The speaker is right.
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by donbenedict(m): 5:58am On May 03, 2016
Even if you and I get to become a senator one day, we would still not allow one dullard to cut our salaries.

3 Likes

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Ghandi12: 6:26am On May 03, 2016
donbenedict:
Even if you and I get to become a senator one day, we would still not allow one dullard to cut our salaries.

My brother not every Nigerian believes in earning Millions/Billions while leading dying people. Even among current leaders there are a few that have sacrificed their salaries.

One of the serving ministers for example is earning a fraction of what he was earning as a private man. Serving one's fatherland should be a thing of pride not an avenue to become rich.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Adonis3: 6:29am On May 03, 2016
I keep saying

The moment we start making public offices less attractive,

Then we can start talking about development

Vote [size=15pt]REFINER[/size] for Miss Nairalandcheesy

#Adonis3HasSopken

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by donbenedict(m): 6:31am On May 03, 2016
Ghandi12:

My brother not every Nigerian believes in earning Millions/Billions while leading dying people. Even among current leaders there are a few that have sacrificed their salaries.

One of the serving ministers for example is earning a fraction of what he was earning as a private man. Serving one's fatherland should be a thing of pride not an avenue to become rich.
ok let's talk to our individual selves and pray we will get to act in line with our words.

2 Likes

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by princemillla(m): 6:34am On May 03, 2016
With this salary package, tell me why NExt senatorial election won't be do or die /bloody.

Service to humanity (serving ones father's land shouldn't be this costly). Even with this package one would believe they are active in reviving the hardship but reverse is the case. Naija senator I hail thee!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by slimfit1(m): 6:34am On May 03, 2016
I don't see Nigerian youths going to the house to make sure this happens that is why I said we are still enjoying.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by otukpo(f): 6:38am On May 03, 2016
I concur
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by omenka(m): 6:39am On May 03, 2016
Why ten times?? Why not even 5 times?? No be blood wey dey carry oxygen dem get inside their veins??

The income disparity between the average Nigerian and the political appointees is nothing but shameful and disgusting.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Bawsse(m): 7:55am On May 03, 2016
I concur... *in timayas voice
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Samexdx(m): 8:14am On May 03, 2016
Earning millions of naira without doing anything... Nigeria which way?
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by CaptainRahl(m): 8:14am On May 03, 2016
Seconded!
Firefire:
Minimum Wage to all political office holders in Nigeria.
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by lilprinze: 8:14am On May 03, 2016
Democracy was not meant for Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by ITbomb(m): 8:15am On May 03, 2016
Before you do that, understand that public officers getting low paid in a system that has no control mechanism for public money or spending will escalate corruption.
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Pavore9: 8:16am On May 03, 2016
Our collective wealth sustains the lavish lifestyle of the few in office! angry
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by epospiky(m): 8:17am On May 03, 2016
That's how it's supposed to be na
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by opineflu(m): 8:17am On May 03, 2016
k.space booked. Back to my pko Will type later
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Mutuwa(m): 8:17am On May 03, 2016
undecided

A friend wrote this:

If you've been following what has been happening in Nigeria since 1960, you don't need to be told that 65% of Nigerians are MAD. The cause I don't know but Some proof are:

1)Will a normal Nigerian be supporting a former president even with the overwhelming evidence of corruption leveled against him? MADNESS.

2) Can a normal Senate President be going to the same court with the same case repeatedly in order to delay a corruption case leveled against him? MADNESS.

3)Will a normal human being set his landlady and others ablaze simply because she prevented her daughter from dating him? MADNESS.

4)Will a normal marketer mix kerosene with aviation fuel in order to make huge profit not minding the repercussions? MADNESS.

5)How can a former Head of State embezzle over N500 billion and at the age of over 60? Where's he taking the money to? MADNESS.

6)How can someone say he want his people to secede from a Nigeria and install a radio transmitter on an MTN mast and call it Biafra radio? MADNESS.

7)How can a Military General, that swore to uphold the unity of his Country, start a secession war but later ran away from the battle front, still come back to the country he once said he want his people to secede from and contest for President? MADNESS.

8. Can a normal person go to the fuel station unclad just because he wants to buy fuel and some mad people still stand behind him at the filling station instead of running for their lives. I wonder what the story could have been if the guy was with a lighter. MADNESS.

9) Can a normal father rape his daughter? MADNESS.

10) Can a normal Minister of finance approve bail out fund without asking for some austerity measures and hoping the states won't ask for more? MADNESS.

11) Can a normal State Governor conduct an irrelevant LG election at the cost of over N6 billion but the same Governor can't pay workers over 4 months salary? MADNESS.

12) Can a normal President of a country say stealing is not corruption? MADNESS.

13) A certain State Governor couldn't pay salaries of the State's workers for over 5 months but was quick to award a N6 billion contract for the building of a fly over where there's no any traffic jam. MADNESS.

14) How can a normal religious group attempt to stop a convoy of an army Chief with ordinary stick? MADNESS.

15)How can a dreaded group say Western education is a sin and still use camera to shoot their videos and use AK 47 riffles as their favorite weapon of choice? MADNESS.

16) Can a normal group of people say they are fighting for their people because oil Companies degrade their environment, by blowing up pipeline to degrade same environment? MADNESS.

17) Where on earth will a Policeman use live bullets on peaceful protesters and still say 'police is your friend'? MADNESS.

18) Where on earth will a normal driver overtake on a sharp bend/corner and probably making calls on his phone? MADNESS.

19) How can over 100 lawyers and 24 SAN accompany their colleague who is charged to Court with bribery allegation? MADNESS.

20. How can over 80 SAN storm a Court in defense of a Senate President accused of stealing, abuse and mismanagement of office? MADNESS.

21) Can a normal Customs Authority destroy seized rice, turkey, cooking oil, clothing whereas our IDPS , motherless babies, poor and hungry Nigerians are in abundance? MADNESS.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by oshe11: 8:17am On May 03, 2016
Ur madness ranting is so one sided n biased.......

Can a President kip mute wen herdsmen r killin its citizen kos he is a religious/tribal bigot? MADNESS

Can sane pipo support an Illiterate to bekome president wen he doesnt even no d full meaning of INEC n APC(his party)? MADNESS

Can a former govnor who stole his pipo's moni to sponsor a presidential election of his party n has oda corruption cases against him bkum a Minister? MADNESS

Can a president travel like a madman wen his country is in chaos witout remorse? MADNESS

CanSaraki be corrupt whereas Tinubu, Obasanjo, Atiku n odas r saints bkus dey r nt from d opposing party? MADNESS

TO BE CONTINUE.........
Mutuwa:
undecided
A friend wrote this:
If you've been following what has been happening in Nigeria since 1960, you don't need to be told that 65% of Nigerians are MAD. The cause I don't know but Some proof are:
1)Will a normal Nigerian be supporting a former president even with the overwhelming evidence of corruption leveled against him? MADNESS.
2) Can a normal Senate President be going to the same court with the same case repeatedly in order to delay a corruption case leveled against him? MADNESS.
3)Will a normal human being set his landlady and others ablaze simply because she prevented her daughter from dating him? MADNESS.
4)Will a normal marketer mix kerosene with aviation fuel in order to make huge profit not minding the repercussions? MADNESS.
5)How can a former Head of State embezzle over N500 billion and at the age of over 60? Where's he taking the money to? MADNESS.
6)How can someone say he want his people to secede from a Nigeria and install a radio transmitter on an MTN mast and call it Biafra radio? MADNESS.
7)How can a Military General, that swore to uphold the unity of his Country, start a secession war but later ran away from the battle front, still come back to the country he once said he want his people to secede from and contest for President? MADNESS.
8. Can a normal person go to the fuel station unclad just because he wants to buy fuel and some mad people still stand behind him at the filling station instead of running for their lives. I wonder what the story could have been if the guy was with a lighter. MADNESS.
9) Can a normal father rape his daughter? MADNESS.
10) Can a normal Minister of finance approve bail out fund without asking for some austerity measures and hoping the states won't ask for more? MADNESS.
11) Can a normal State Governor conduct an irrelevant LG election at the cost of over N6 billion but the same Governor can't pay workers over 4 months salary? MADNESS.
12) Can a normal President of a country say stealing is not corruption? MADNESS.
13) A certain State Governor couldn't pay salaries of the State's workers for over 5 months but was quick to award a N6 billion contract for the building of a fly over where there's no any traffic jam. MADNESS.
14) How can a normal religious group attempt to stop a convoy of an army Chief with ordinary stick? MADNESS.
15)How can a dreaded group say Western education is a sin and still use camera to shoot their videos and use AK 47 riffles as their favorite weapon of choice? MADNESS.
16) Can a normal group of people say they are fighting for their people because oil Companies degrade their environment, by blowing up pipeline to degrade same environment? MADNESS.
17) Where on earth will a Policeman use live bullets on peaceful protesters and still say 'police is your friend'? MADNESS.
18) Where on earth will a normal driver overtake on a sharp bend/corner and probably making calls on his phone? MADNESS.
19) How can over 100 lawyers and 24 SAN accompany their colleague who is charged to Court with bribery allegation? MADNESS.
20. How can over 80 SAN storm a Court in defense of a Senate President accused of stealing, abuse and mismanagement of office? MADNESS.
21) Can a normal Customs Authority destroy seized rice, turkey, cooking oil, clothing whereas our IDPS , motherless babies, poor and hungry Nigerians are in abundance? MADNESS.
lemme 'cum n go n read' d post first

i af finished reading n I CONCUR

4 Likes

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by JesusmyGod1: 8:18am On May 03, 2016
Pls buhari Don't try it oh

Cos of my dad pls
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by rawtouch: 8:18am On May 03, 2016
supported
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Etizz: 8:18am On May 03, 2016
Human right activist are good in very reasonable ideas, but non of the ideas come to reality.....

I am tired of ideas, we need actions.....
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by dayoungmoney1: 8:18am On May 03, 2016
True
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by Chuksemi(m): 8:19am On May 03, 2016
Untill there is a massive uprising or a strong willed and determined man ascends that seat. Nothing will happen.

This story for now is impossible in Nigeria. Even the person who wrote this article, if he becomes president, won't do it.
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by HAH: 8:19am On May 03, 2016
I concure , if there is minimum wage there must be maximum wage and 10 times minimum wage as maximum is not too bad
Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by DjValency(m): 8:19am On May 03, 2016
I smell lies, let me sip my beer first

Re: No Elected Public Officer Should Earn 10 Times More Than Minimum Wage by thefakestan: 8:19am On May 03, 2016
10 times no too much?

Haba

ThefakeStan

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Receives Alake Of Egbaland, Gbadebo (photo) / 6 Kano Lawmakers Defect To PDP / Enough Of IGP, Police Commission Power Tussle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.