Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,356 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed (4410 Views)

70% Of Failed Marriages In Nigeria Come From Girls That Bleach - Philanthropist / Nigerian Men In USA, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria. / Are You Burnt Out With No Where To Turn To Or Just Simply Depressed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Project400: 10:16am On May 03, 2016
The Voices for Change (V4C), an NGO, says the organisation’s evaluation report on “Being a Man in Nigeria’’ indicated that 70 per cent of Nigerian men were depressed due to societal perception.

Mrs Patience Ekeoba, Research and Evidence Leader of the organisation, said this at the evaluation land mark research report entitled: “Being a Man in Nigeria: Its perception and realities’’ in Abuja on Thursday.

Quoting the report, she said that Nigerian men were perceived in the society to be bold, leaders, bread winners, fearless, intelligent and tough among others.

Ekeoba said the men also had a self-expectation of being educated, rich, well paid, respected, married, and having authority in the house and community.

The report, she added showed that in reality the impact on the man’s physical and mental health in some states showed that about 70 per cent of men experienced stress and depression.

She said about 50 per cent had low self-esteem; about 70 per cent involved in drugs, drinking and women, among others.

According to the report, she said that some men were unable to provide for their family due to unemployment.

Ekeoba added that some were unable to enforce authority, and were often frustrated and angry because they could not live up to societal perception and expectation.
https://www.today.ng/news/national/110386/70-nigerian-men-are-depressed-due-societal-perception-ngo
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Dyt(f): 10:28am On May 03, 2016
You inclusive?

1 Like

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Project400: 10:34am On May 03, 2016
Dyt:
You inclusive?
No, ma. Societal perceptions have no direct or indirect impact on me. smiley
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Ruq: 10:47am On May 03, 2016
I'm inclined to agree, but majority aren't aware and this is because those affected seldom know what depression is. And depressed persons always need hope which religious institutions offer through some deity, these institutions are the reason why we still have many sane people around.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Project400: 11:03am On May 03, 2016
Ruq:
I'm inclined to agree, but majority aren't aware and this is because those affected seldom know what depression is. And depressed persons always need hope which religious institutions offer through some deity, these institutions are the reason why se still have many sane people around.

You're absolutely correct.

The idea of the society on who a man should be (wealthy, a bread winner), and how he should act (tough, avoid tears even if he's dying) is killing the morale of MEN.

Without the help of religious institutions, these expectations would have left many in chains. Those who cannot cope with religious services, help themselves out with drugs, alcohol, brothel services, etc.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Dyt(f): 11:07am On May 03, 2016
Project400:

No, ma. Societal perceptions have no direct or indirect impact on me. smiley

Obviously
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by bukatyne(f): 11:36am On May 03, 2016
Interesting..

70% of modern women are depressed
70% of Nigerian men are depressed

Na wa o!
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Ruq: 11:37am On May 03, 2016
Project400:

The idea of the society on who a man should be (wealthy, a bread winner), and how he should act (tough, avoid tears even if he's dying) is killing the morale of MEN.

Without the help of religious institutions, these expectations would have left many in chains. Those who cannot cope with religious services, help themselves out with drugs, alcohol, brothel services, etc.

Exactly, and it's a tough battle. Even in developed societies with standard healthcare you still see them complain about a lot of people being undiagnosed and medications for depression not always giving desired results, especially for those with acute depression which is why it is always followed with therapy, and the thing about depression is that it cuts across several other mental illnesses such as PSTD,ADHD,Bipolar just too too many.

Now considering a country like Nigeria with its kind of healthcare facing mental illnesses like depression is just sad. Depression is deep, very deep it's a combination of losing hope and purpose all together and feeling the pain of not being able to change it which is why many victims see suicide as a way out and the expectations aren't reducing.

No matter how irreligious I'm, I can't downplay the use of hope which every one runs on even if it's subconsciously and which these religious institutions offer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Arsenate(m): 12:21pm On May 03, 2016
This is sadly true. That's why it pisses me off to unimaginable heights when I see all these feminists lament that women are having it tough . The truth is men are actually going through far worse situations in their lives and, funnily, they dare not complain otherwise they'd be tagged wussies.
most men just resort to alcohol, drugs and brothels. A few become religious.
The world is not smiling at men, but guess what, they never complain. NEVER

1 Like

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by cococandy(f): 3:40pm On May 03, 2016
They are depressed.
Their women are also depressed in addition to being suppressed and oppressed.
If they'll stop holding too tightly to rigid gender expectations, then maybe they'll reduce the stress they put on themselves.

The situation of the economy is talk for another day. That one for kill person.

Who was it that said Nigerians are the happiest people on earth?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Stillfire: 4:08pm On May 03, 2016
So I should pity Naija men now or what?
When you deviate from the set gendered roles and reduce expectations on the male to provide, be a leader, etc, it automatically infers that we reduce expectations on the female when it comes to taking care of the home, the kids, cooking etc. But since Nigerian men are not ready to take up these 'feminine' roles, but consider them anathema to their reasoning, well, let these strong, set in stone patriarchal standards continue. But know that if you cannot meet up (which most of you will end up doing like Teebillz) and dare to take out your frustrations on your wife, we feminists will joyfully deal with you appropriately. smiley smiley smiley smiley cool

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Acidosis(m): 4:18pm On May 03, 2016
Stillfire:
[s]So I should pity Naija men now or what?
When you deviate from the set gendered roles and reduce expectations on the male to provide, be a leader, etc, it automatically infers that we reduce expectations on the female when it comes to taking care of the home, the kids, cooking etc. But since Nigerian men are not ready to take up these 'feminine' roles, but consider them anathema to their reasoning, well, let these strong, set in stone patriarchal standards continue. But know that if you cannot meet up (which most of you will end up doing like Teebillz) and dare to take out your frustrations on your wife, we feminists will joyfully deal with you appropriately[/s]
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by tpiah01: 4:47pm On May 03, 2016
Stillfire:
So I should pity Naija men now or what?
When you deviate from the set gendered roles and reduce expectations on the male to provide, be a leader, etc, it automatically infers that we reduce expectations on the female when it comes to taking care of the home, the kids, cooking etc. But since Nigerian men are not ready to take up these 'feminine' roles, but consider them anathema to their reasoning, well, let these strong, set in stone patriarchal standards continue. But know that if you cannot meet up (which most of you will end up doing like Teebillz) and dare to take out your frustrations on your wife, we feminists will joyfully deal with you appropriately. smiley smiley smiley smiley cool

Why exactly is teebiils getting no empathy here but is being dumped on by all and sundry?

What exactly is his offence, is it being on drugs, having children with multiple women and baby mamas, marrying/dating rich women, being with women richer than him, being depressed, being broke, being irresponsible (not contributing financially to his kids' upbringing even though their mothers are richer than him), etc etc.

A situation which almost every other black male can identify with (not to mention Nigerian celebrities and the baby mama culture), not even counting the black males in jail who cant physically be present to do whatever is required of them as fathers.

Not holding brief for teebiils in any way, but this is my point about someone needing assistance with mental health issues among other things and all most nlers/Nigerians can do is attack him further.

Tiwa is still on top of her game and even doing a video as we speak, is it all the world loves a winner or what.

Lord have mercy, imbalance everywhere.

But I dont think it's right to hold teebiil accountable for every male who has ever had issues with or disappointed a female, particularly in the black or Nigerian community.

Try to hate the behaviour, not the person per se.

5 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Stillfire: 8:48pm On May 03, 2016
Acidosis:

Acidosis what problems do you have with my statement? cool cool
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 03, 2016
Project400:

True there was a time I couldn't get by without drinking or weed. That pressure to be great and especially married and being great overnight.
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Acidosis(m): 9:16pm On May 03, 2016
Stillfire:

Acidosis what problems do you have with my statement? cool cool

First, the thread is not about feminism or women.

Whether feminists like it or not, men would not give birth through the pen*s. In as much as you feminists would want to switch that role, nature has divinely dedicated that aspect to women. So it's not a factor of the society, but nature. Like any other mammal, a woman is expected to breastfeed and cater for her children (men don't breastfeed).

The society on the other hand expects lots from men. A less wealthy man is often considered as UNMANly enough. The society also condemns men who cry. I've seen women who vowed never to date a man who sheds tears as they're mostly considered as weaklings.

The accumulation of these unexpressed emotions in the aim of fulfilling the expectations of the society builds up into outbursts, frustration, alcohol, etc. (e.g. Teebillz case).
This attitude start from childhood; I've seen parents who pamper their female wards when they cry, but they cannot stand male kids who cry; you hear words like: "common! stop crying, you're a man!!" These little acts kill men from childhood, we pretend and act like all is well; some even boost their esteem with six packs. All these stuffs cannot cure frustration.

I'm not refuting the fact that we don't have depressed women. Many single women in their late 20s and 30s are actually facing these problems as the society (not men) mounts pressure on them.

It is not always about Men Vs. Women, but Men/Women Vs. the Society. If we continue to view this as men against women, we can never get it right.

When a woman (who's contended with little) marries a man of same perception about life, they will jointly confront, and defeat societal pressures.

Feminists like you expect that as soon as a woman earns more than her husband, the man (who y'all consider as weakling) should immediately pick up the culinary, washing, dishing and sweeping roles. This cannot be considered as societal pressure. It is evil based on a lustful and uncontrollable desire and love of MONEY. It is a breach of marital contract. Why switch roles when you're in already?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Onegai(f): 9:44pm On May 03, 2016
Acidosis:

Feminists like you expects that as soon as a woman earns more than her husband, the man (who y'all consider as weakling) should immediately pick up the culinary, washing, dishing and sweeping roles. This cannot be considered as societal pressure. It is evil based on a lustful and uncontrollable desire and love of MONEY. It is a breach of marital contract. Why switch roles when you're in already?

Eh, you messed it up right here. Why shouldn't she expect it? If a man's traditional role is to provide and a woman's role is to nurture, why are women suddenly carrying the burden of providing? There is no escaping a woman's role but why do women have to also assume the men's role and play her traditional part? You can't eat your cake and have it. Either she's a nurturer or she's a provider but to expect her to be both whilst you get a break and play "Da Man", dude that's just selfishness.

The sad thing is that most of the females you guys get your pants in a bunch, are actually not feminists. They usually just want people to be treated right, be they male or female. But when you take the above stance and then expect some sympathy, no-one cares.

Why is it that a nurturing role is seen as subordination, when did Nurturing become a shameful and degrading thing that guys now use it to look down upon people?

If you knew how much easier life was when you say "get lost" to societal pressure is, you'd let go. I won't mind a man who cries, sadness let's me know that you need me because all is not well.

If you meet your spouse or a girl and say "I'm worried and tired. It's hard to be a superman and sometimes I'm scared I will fail and not impress you", if she's a good person, she will support you. But you have to support her. Let go of all these daft notions about how you, as a man, are supposed to act and be you: if you're gentle be firm and gentle, if you're strong be kind and strong. Be you because God didn't give you the personality you have, just so you could deny thyself and act like an Bullying Arse.

I posit it that it's because you're constantly fighting your natural self that you're depressed and unhappy. In your quest to keep up appearances, your misery shines through.

I've never met a man who died from assuming some feminine roles. In fact, to fight desperately against is a sign of a man who is unsure of himself. I know a man who the first day he went to his gf's house, he vacuumed. He does dishes and she sits (after cooking). He's one of the most secure men I've ever met and very educated too. He's masculine (dude is a heavyweight and fights mixed martial arts) and successful. He's content in himself because he gave up worrying about what the world defines for him at every stage in his life (he's black, not physically attractive as a young man, started from the bottom).

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Stillfire: 9:54pm On May 03, 2016
Acidosis:

First, the thread is not about feminism or women.

Whether feminists like it or not, men would not give birth through the pen*s. In as much as you feminists would want to switch that role, nature has divinely dedicated that aspect to women. So it's not a factor of the society, but nature. Like any other mammal, a woman is expected to breastfeed and cater for her children (men don't breastfeed).

Hehehe. You are getting sentimental. There is a difference between sex and gender. Gender equality does not infringe on our clear and specific biological dispositions. However for roles such as cooking and cleaning, which we socially refer to as feminine roles, these do not have genetic basis. Hence why we have men as the best chefs in the world. grin

The society on the other hand expects lots from men. A less wealthy man is often considered as UNMANly enough. The society also condemns men who cry. I've seen women who vowed never to date a man who sheds tears as they're mostly considered as weaklings.

Who created this society? And who still wants to adhere to these defined and rigid roles? Can you hear yourself? grin

The accumulation of these unexpressed emotions in the aim of fulfilling the expectations of the society builds up into outbursts, frustration, alcohol, etc. (e.g. Teebillz case).

What is my business here? This is the society you people want, live with it. grin

I'm not refuting the fact that we don't have depressed women. Many single women in their late 20s and 30s are actually facing these problems as the society (not men) mounts pressure on them.

I absolutely don't care for people who live on these rules and in turn get pressured. cheesy

It is not always about Men Vs. Women, but Men/Women Vs. the Society. If we continue to view this as men against women, we can never get it right.

Who created society? Aliens from Mars? This indeed is about Women and Men who make up society.

When a woman (who's contended with little) marries a man of same perception about life, they will jointly confront, and defeat societal pressures.
Feminists like you expects that as soon as a woman earns more than her husband, the man (who y'all consider as weakling) should immediately pick up the culinary, washing, dishing and sweeping roles. This cannot be considered as societal pressure. It is evil based on a lustful and uncontrollable desire and love of MONEY. It is a breach of marital contract. While switch roles when you're in already?

Naa Feminists like myself apply logic. If men consider it taboo to involve themselves in culinary arts and domestic chores, women should consider it taboo to provide. I think it’s a win-win situation for societies who are hell bent on rigid roles. Feminists like myself have a shared responsibility in the household. We don't see anything wrong in paying the bills and giving men money to chop. cool cool However a lady in a strict gendered society is justified not to provide for the family. If you don't want the parity of roles, make sure you adhere strictly to your own side and fulfill the demands placed on your gender. Anything outside of this is hypocritical or trying to eat your cake and have it.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 03, 2016
Onegai:

Eh, you messed it up right here. Why shouldn't she expect it? If a man's traditional role is to provide and a woman's role is to nurture, why are women suddenly carrying the burden of providing? There is no escaping a woman's role but why do women have to also assume the men's role and play her traditional part? You can't eat your cake and have it. Either she's a nurturer or she's a provider but to expect her to be both whilst you get a break and play "Da Man", dude that's just selfishness.

The sad thing is that most of the females you guys get your pants in a bunch, are actually not feminists. They usually just want people to be treated right, be they male or female. But when you take the above stance and then expect some sympathy, no-one cares.

Why is it that a nurturing role is seen as subordination, when did Nurturing become a shameful and degrading thing that guys now use it to look down upon people?

If you knew how much easier life was when you say "get lost" to societal pressure is, you'd let go. I won't mind a man who cries, sadness let's me know that you need me because all is not well.

If you meet your spouse or a girl and say "I'm worried and tired. It's hard to be a superman and sometimes I'm scared I will fail and not impress you", if she's a good person, she will support you. But you have to support her. Let go of all these daft notions about how you, as a man, are supposed to act and be you: if you're gentle be firm and gentle, if you're strong be kind and strong. Be you because God didn't give you the personality you have, just so you could deny thyself and act like an Bullying Arse.

I posit it that it's because you're constantly fighting your natural self that you're depressed and unhappy. In your quest to keep up appearances, your misery shines through.

I've never met a man who died from assuming some feminine roles. In fact, to fight desperately against is a sign of a man who is unsure of himself. I know a man who the first day he went to his gf's house, he vacuumed. He does dishes and she sits (after cooking). He's one of the most secure men I've ever met and very educated too. He's masculine (dude is a heavyweight and fights mixed martial arts) and successful. He's content in himself because he gave up worrying about what the world defines for him at every stage in his life (he's black, not physically attractive as a young man, started from the bottom).

What do mean by feminine roles am curious ?
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Acidosis(m): 10:15pm On May 03, 2016
Onegai:

I still maintain my stance that MONEY is not enough reason to switch roles. I'd gladly shift roles for better reasons like ILLNESS, PREGNANCY, etc. I can be anything, I could cook and even knee to beg a 10 year old girl, but what I won't do is to become a slave to MONEY.

The heavy weight dude you described may be lost in love. As you rightly said, he's successful, so all he did wasn't based on the fact that his girlfriend his wealthy and 'too big' to clean or cook for herself.

We shouldn't allow temporary circumstances dictate stuffs like ROLES. What if the said man bounces back tomorrow? To the extent that he gets too busy to even spend a day in 1 full month with his family? Should he be a slave to his job/money, or put his family FIRST?

Btw, I've never addressed idle men in any of my posts. I only talked about men who earn less. Some people are actually ALWAYS busy, but they earn little. I could name 3 notable companies in Nigeria, especially in the insurance sector, who have not paid any salary since January, 2016. These firms have married men working day and night, yet without pay. I don't think it is right to treat such men the way y'all suggested.

Some work-at-home folks earn more than the corporate guys. So it shouldn't be a factor of MONEY. The one who has more spare time can help out with tedious tasks in the home. I don't like it when we place too much emphasis on money.
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Acidosis(m): 10:20pm On May 03, 2016
Stillfire:

We don't see anything wrong in paying the bills and giving men money to chop cool cool However a lady in a strict gendered society is justified not to provide for the family. If you don't want the parity of roles, make sure you adhere strictly to your own side and fulfill the demands placed on your gender. Anything outside of this is hypocritical or trying to eat your cake and have it.

Good night
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Onegai(f): 10:21pm On May 03, 2016
pcguru1:

What do mean by feminine roles am curious ?

You define it. Any role that comes to your mind and you immediately feel "that's a girl's job", that a feminine role to you.

I can't read minds. cool
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Onegai(f): 10:28pm On May 03, 2016
Acidosis:

I still maintain my stance that MONEY is not enough reason to switch roles. I'd gladly shift roles for better reasons like ILLNESS, PREGNANCY, etc. I can be anything, I could cook and even knee to beg a 10 year old girl, but what I won't do is to become a slave to MONEY.

The heavy weight dude you described may be lost in love. As you rightly said, he's successful, so all he did wasn't based on the fact that his girlfriend his wealthy and 'too big' to clean or cook for herself.

We shouldn't allow temporary circumstances dictate stuffs like ROLES. What if the said man bounces back tomorrow? To the extent that he gets too busy to even spend a day in 1 full month with his family? Should he be a slave to his job/money, or put his family FIRST?

Btw, I've never addressed idle men in any of my posts. I only talked about men who earn less. Some people are actually ALWAYS busy, but they earn little. I could name 3 notable companies in Nigeria, especially in the insurance sector, who have not paid any salary since January, 2016. These firms have married men working day and night, yet without pay. I don't think it is right to treat such men the way y'all suggested.

Some work-at-home folks earn more than the corporate guys. So it shouldn't be a factor of MONEY. The one who has more spare time can help out with tedious tasks in the home. I don't like it when we place too much emphasis on money.

It's not only about money. Those family guys who haven't been paid in 5 months, will be treated as how they earned it: those who were kind in the time of plenty should expect kindness (and I as a woman will fight their wives on their behalf if I hear she's not supporting him). Those who treated their wives like chattel in their time of plenty, please, you made your bed, now take your pillow and lie on it. Earning less is not a crime, earning less and acting like a Dunghill Co.ck, well you deserve whatever humble-pie-eating faceplant you get.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Acidosis(m): 10:36pm On May 03, 2016
Onegai:

It's not only about money. Those family guys who haven't been paid in 5 months, will be treated as how they earned it: those who were kind in the time of plenty should expect kindness (and I as a woman will fight their wives on their behalf if I hear she's not supporting him). Those who treated their wives like chattel in their time of plenty, please, you made your bed, now take your pillow and lie on it. Earning less is not a crime, earning less and acting like a Dunghill Co.ck, well you deserve whatever humble-pie-eating faceplant you get.

Chaii

grin
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Onegai(f): 10:48pm On May 03, 2016
Hmm i just realised I'm speaking too much English grin but you understand shebi?

A dunghill co.ck is a rooster, very proud of himself, crowing like a lion (forgetting he's a chicken) and ignoring the fact that he is standing on top of a pile of poo. When your pride outstrips your reality. Also.known as the King of the Jungle in Ajegunle.

Example: Kanu Nwankwo in his single days,used to drive a white Escalade (which was once an expensive car). He came to see some chics. 2 guys on the queue waiting for public tranport (whom he had done absolutely nothing to) began to insult the girls and talk smack about Kanu Nwankwo and his car. I repeat, the guys were waiting for danfo. Now, i hope those guys bought cars in their future, but they're still not Kanu Nwankwo.

There are several dunghill co.cks in this Nairaland grin

9 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by bukatyne(f): 11:03pm On May 03, 2016
@Acidosis:

Temporary circumstances cannot make a man 'switch' roles but it can make a woman switch.

If you are running a strict role division in your hone, it is either you ensure the money is rolling in or be prepared to switch the roles...

And as we know on the average; earning doe = power to be rude/ rash/ sole decision maker & cheating.

@earning lesser pay: has it always being like that? If yes, then they already have their rythym... If no, how was their relationship before he started earning lower?

Y'all can't eat your cake & have it.

You want the power that comes with money, earn it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by armyofone(m): 3:21am On May 04, 2016
I pray and hope the new batch of NYSC are smart enough to put marriage or pregnancy on hold. They should not see big O as the way out. Or having a baby as the right thing to do right after school.
You know that sweet orgasm could make you forget that suffer dey o but when eye clear finish, you go know say khaki no be leather. Orgasm does not reduce stress.

1 Like

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by tpiah01: 4:06am On May 04, 2016
why not allow people to make their choices while you have the freedom to make your own.

why are you people focusing so much of your attention on other folks children or their (other folks') marriage plans/decisions?

What of your own lives, shouldnt you pay some attention to that?

This is fetishism, occult and witchcraft, pure and simple.

Somebody who married and had children right after school, how does it concern you? Somebody who married and had kids before going to school, is it your problem? Someone who waited multiple years before marrying or having kids, are they your concern? Someone who decided never to marry or have kids, is it bothering you?

Dont attack people's children with juju plz, just because you are not happy. The kids are not the reason why you are unhappy, it is within you and most likely preceded your knowing of them.

I have said my own.

3 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by cococandy(f): 4:36am On May 04, 2016
Lmao at this thread and the comments.

Tpiah wetin? Are you for or against grin
Most black men are what?

tpiah01:

Why exactly is teebiils getting no empathy here but is being dumped on by all and sundry?
What exactly is his offence, is it being on drugs, having children with multiple women and baby mamas, marrying/dating rich women, being with women richer than him, being depressed, being broke, being irresponsible (not contributing financially to his kids' upbringing even though their mothers are richer than him), etc etc.
A situation which almost every other black male can identify with
(not to mention Nigerian celebrities and the baby mama culture), not even counting the black males in jail who cant physically be present to do whatever is required of them as fathers.
Not holding brief for teebiils in any way, but this is my point about someone needing assistance with mental health issues among other things and all most nlers/Nigerians can do is attack him further.
Tiwa is still on top of her game and even doing a video as we speak, is it all the world loves a winner or what.
Lord have mercy, imbalance everywhere.
But I dont think it's right to hold teebiil accountable for every male who has ever had issues with or disappointed a female, particularly in the black or Nigerian community.
Try to hate the behaviour, not the person per se.
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by tpiadotcom: 4:43am On May 04, 2016
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by shaybebaby(f): 6:27am On May 04, 2016
cococandy:
Lmao at this thread and the comments.

Tpiah wetin? Are you for or against grin
Most black men are what?

She/he is saying when criticising, let's focus on the actions not the individuals.
For example, you admonish a child and say "you are naughty". That is telling the child, EVERYTHING about you is naughty. In such an instance, it is easy to internalize such message which in turn can affect the child's perception of his/herself (using a child here but it applies to humans).
Now changing the words slightly makes a world of difference, " YOUR BEHAVIOUR is naughty". That focuses on the action without attacking the person.
Implying that a change in behaviour is required not a change to become different person.
Good morning Coco. Hope the little one and you are good.
Re: 70% Of Nigerian Men Are Depressed by Acidosis(m): 6:53am On May 04, 2016
bukatyne:
@Acidosis:

Temporary circumstances cannot make a man 'switch' roles but it can make a woman switch.

If you are running a strict role division in your hone, it is either you ensure the money is rolling in or be prepared to switch the roles...

And as we know on the average; earning doe = power to be rude/ rash/ sole decision maker & cheating.

@earning lesser pay: has it always being like that? If yes, then they already have their rythym... If no, how was their relationship before he started earning lower?

Y'all can't eat your cake & have it.

You want the power that comes with money, earn it.

I agree with your assumptions, except the last statement. The home should not be a place to exercise power. A good woman should respect her husband regardless of how much he earns.

People need to shine their eyes, and talk about these stuffs before they 'settle down' as husbands and wives.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man's First Name Or His Surname / I Am Seriously Thinking About Changing My Slavery Name / Please Help Me Win Her Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.