Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay (2651 Views)

10-Year-Old Sayyid Rejected By His Parents In Kano Is Stranded / My Cousin Is A Torn In My Mother's Flesh. How Do I Handle It? / Italian Based Nigerian Stranded In The Village As Ladies Refuse To Marry Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 8:21pm On May 03, 2016
Hi Nailanders,

My cousin travelled to the US a week ago for a Art conference ( he is on a business visa). The Art Residency as its called is still ongoing and will finish soon.

He made an arrangement with his friend in Ohio that after the conference he would be coming over to stay with him. When he got to the US, he called his friend and the friend started ignoring his calls. He finally got through but the friend told him that he has changed his mind that he should look for somewhere else to stay.

Cousin is disappointed, and doesn't have anybody or place to stay after the conference. The conference is in New york. The Art organizers provided him with accommodation until the end date of the conference.

He is a very nice guy. Hardworking, God-fearing ambitious, and handsome

Nairalanders, I need your help to assist this brother.

Thank you
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by nigeriancritic1(m): 8:23pm On May 03, 2016
bee444:
Hi Nailanders,

My cousin travelled to the US a week ago for a Art conference ( he is on a business visa). The Art Residency as its called is still ongoing and will finish soon.

He made an arrangement with his friend in Ohio that after the conference he would be coming over to stay with him. When he got to the US, he called his friend and the friend started ignoring his calls. He finally got through but the friend told him that he has changed his mind that he should look for somewhere else to stay.

Cousin is disappointed, and doesn't have anybody or place to stay after the conference. The conference is in New york. The Art organizers provided him with accommodation until the end date of the conference.

Thank you
Oh! Oh!! I'm an Alien, I'm a legal Alien. I'm an English man in New York!

4 Likes

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by Nightie(f): 8:31pm On May 03, 2016
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 8:33pm On May 03, 2016
nigeriancritic1:

Oh! Oh!! I'm an Alien, I'm a legal Alien. I'm an English man in New York!

What does that even mean?
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by nigeriancritic1(m): 8:36pm On May 03, 2016
bee444:

What does that even mean?
That's a classic! Wait, the guy went to the States to jump bail. He should return home if he is honest about the Art show or whatever.

1 Like

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by Joe4lv(m): 8:44pm On May 03, 2016
@Op,someone who is God fearing want to jump the allotted time of his visa in the US and you want someone to put up with him?

Tell him to get home after the conference and get proper residency visa if he desires to earn a living in US.

Buhari might have caused your cousin to start thinking of a way out of the mess called Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by firstolalekan(m): 9:02pm On May 03, 2016
bee444:
Hi Nailanders,

Thank you
Has hotels finished in new York

6 Likes

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by keepingmum: 9:08pm On May 03, 2016
How long does your cousin intend to stay in the US for?

Is he looking to squat temporarily?

How us he going to fend for himself and contribute to the monthly bills?

What are his skills set and qualifications

3 Likes

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by dominique(f): 9:32pm On May 03, 2016
What has his looks got to do with anything? undecided
He's God fearing yet he's ready to break the laws of the land. Some people have been lucky to stay behind after their temporary visas expired and went on to attain citizenship. I wouldn't advise anybody to take such risk. He should return and process his immigrant visa.

7 Likes

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by Ewuro4: 9:37pm On May 03, 2016

2 Likes

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 11:24pm On May 03, 2016
nigeriancritic1:

That's a classic! Wait, the guy went to the States to jump bail. He should return home if he is honest about the Art show or whatever.

He's not jumping anything. He has 2 years business visa and was given 11months to stay at a time. The problem with him is that after the first art conference, he still has a 2nd conference coming up.

The 2nd conference does not have accommodation for him. He has depleted all his funds, hence, needing help
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 11:46pm On May 03, 2016
Joe4lv:
@Op,someone who is God fearing want to jump the allotted time of his visa in the US and you want someone to put up with him?

Tell him to get home after the conference and get proper residency visa if he desires to earn a living in US.

Buhari might have caused your cousin to start thinking of a way out of the mess called Nigeria.

I've called him and told him to go back home to apply for proper residency visa. He doesn't have to wait for the second conference.

I like this idea. Thanks
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by armyofone(m): 1:48am On May 04, 2016
He has an event in NY but wanted to stay with someone in Ohio ? Just stay in an hotel closer to where your event would take place.
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 6:13am On May 04, 2016
armyofone:
He has an event in NY but wanted to stay with someone in Ohio ? Just stay in an hotel closer to where your event would take place.

Hey armyofone, can we talk or chat privately? Need 2 ask you few questions my sis.
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by armyofone(m): 11:28am On May 04, 2016
Oh, so sorry bros. I can't because there is no way to chat.

bee444:

Hey armyofone, can we talk or chat privately? Need 2 ask you few questions my sis.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by pickabeau1: 11:59am On May 04, 2016
bee444:

He's not jumping anything. He has 2 years business visa and was given 11months to stay at a time. The problem with him is that after the first art conference, he still has a 2nd conference coming up.

The 2nd conference does not have accommodation for him. He has depleted all his funds, hence, needing help

come back home

1 Like

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by Onegai(f): 12:09pm On May 04, 2016
Ohio is not the backyard to NY. He should go to Washington D.C. or Maryland. There are some Art residency programs he can apply to (but people get them from applying from Nigeria). What are his plans apart from the conference (is he planning on doing a school course or doing a short program at a private workshop/studio) and why didn't he contact his fellow artists here in Nigeria to ask them about what to do (because I know several people who would have recommended him to certain contacts abroad). If he had registered for a good course (depending on if he's an oil, acrylic, watercolour, pastel painter etc) and had documentation about it, accomodation would have been easier (whixh he should have some before spending his money). Let him contact his fellow artists here in Nigeria to see if he can get help, because it will really be tough for anyone to open their doors to a stranger. If not, come home.
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 2:15pm On May 04, 2016
Onegai:
Ohio is not the backyard to NY. He should go to Washington D.C. or Maryland. There are some Art residency programs he can apply to (but people get them from applying from Nigeria). What are his plans apart from the conference (is he planning on doing a school course or doing a short program at a private workshop/studio) and why didn't he contact his fellow artists here in Nigeria to ask them about what to do (because I know several people who would have recommended him to certain contacts abroad). If he had registered for a good course (depending on if he's an oil, acrylic, watercolour, pastel painter etc) and had documentation about it, accomodation would have been easier (whixh he should have some before spending his money). Let him contact his fellow artists here in Nigeria to see if he can get help, because it will really be tough for anyone to open their doors to a stranger. If not, come home.

I've advised him to go back to Nigeria after the conference. So, he would be going back this month.

Thanks
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by SisterCaro(m): 12:31pm On May 07, 2016
Single and handsome doesn't pay the bills grin

1 Like

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by harveyspec: 6:01pm On May 08, 2016
bee444:

when you fail to plan, you have planned to fail

firstly, you would have sought for help here before he left the shores of this country as plan B. folks would have found it easier to help

secondly, you would've laid all the cards on the table in your 1st post as a proof that you really need help & that there were no sinister motive, all this gradual revelation isn't helping matters

most folks understand the need for one to get abroad by all means & do everything possible to get their papers, you ought to have come clean & not all this okada jam plane stories!

he should go to a nigerian church as advised & brief the house on that.

PS: Your single & handsome made the whole thing trivial. he cannot find love within 5months excerpt arranged paid marriage, which is still difficult
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by fwwins(m): 6:37pm On May 08, 2016
harveyspec:

when you fail to plan, you have planned to fail

firstly, you would have sought for help here before he left the shores of this country as plan B. folks would have found it easier to help

secondly, you would've laid all the cards on the table in your 1st post as a proof that you really need help & that there were no sinister motive, all this gradual revelation isn't helping matters

most folks understand the need for one to get abroad by all means & do everything possible to get their papers, you ought to have come clean & not all this okada jam plane stories!

he should go to a nigerian church as advised & brief the house on that.

PS: Your single & handsome made the whole thing trivial. he cannot find love within 5months excerpt arranged paid marriage, which is still difficult

Though destinies aren't the same but I know a friend who met and genuinely marry his white wife within 4 months.
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by harveyspec: 8:39pm On May 08, 2016
fwwins:

Though destinies aren't the same but I know a friend who met and genuinely marry his white wife within 4 months.

This guy is disperate & racing against time (5months). I'm sure your friend wasn't

it's one thing to be hustling(with or without papers) & you meet the love of your life & another not to have money & accomodation, while searching for love

most folks in this scenario settle for arranged marriage or an old lady

finally, your friend might not have told you the whole story. I have a friend who did the same, I'm the only one he told the true reason, his was arranged marriages, the lady was to be paid an amount when he finally got his papers. Others including his relative didn't even know he was planning to get married, though it didn't work out

1 Like

Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by fwwins(m): 9:54pm On May 08, 2016
harveyspec:

This guy is disperate & racing against time (5months). I'm sure your friend wasn't

it's one thing to be hustling(with or without papers) & you meet the love of your life & another not to have money & accomodation, while searching for love

most folks in this scenario settle for arranged marriage or an old lady

finally, your friend might not have told you the whole story. I have a friend who did the same, I'm the only one he told the true reason, his was arranged marriages, the lady was to be paid an amount when he finally got his papers. Others including his relative didn't even know he was planning to get married, though it didn't work out

No! My friend's marriage is legit. I know the who gist
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 6:47pm On May 10, 2016
Thanks to everyone who have in one way or the other contributed to this thread.

Great news!. My cousin has been offered a place to stay by a Nairalander at Queens, NY. The Nairalander pleads anonimous. They are also in the process of applying for a O1 visa for him. That will give him the eligibility to work because he already got a job offer.

My other thread in the travel section has been disabled by the mod @justwise. The hatred he has shown towards people trying to help others is unspeakable and despicable. Only God will pay him if truly he abhors such resentment towards me.
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by blank(f): 1:27pm On May 11, 2016
bee444:

My other thread in the travel section has been disabled by the mod @justwise.

If your thread makes front page, you cannot modify it again. I think that was made clear to you earlier.
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 8:46pm On May 11, 2016
@justwise, am I a liar too that I can't post anything in the thread I created in the travel section? Initially, the mod button was working, now i can't even quote or post anything. Tell me if i'm still lying. I need said the thread was closed. i said i couldn't post or modify my posts.

Let me know whats up.
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by Nobody: 6:59pm On May 12, 2016
bee444:
Hi Nailanders,

Thank you

What kind of assistance is even needed? Financial? Accommodation? Both?
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by bee444: 7:57am On May 13, 2016
MissMercedes:

What kind of assistance is even needed? Financial? Accommodation? Both?

My sis, he only needed a place to stay in order to for him to attend his next seminar and also sort out his work visa. A generous naiaralander has offered him a place when he finish his current seminar.

But you could still email me if you want to assist. I guess he could still use your help..
Re: My Cousin Is Stranded In The US.. Needs A Place To Stay by Nobody: 8:54am On May 13, 2016
bee444:

My sis, he only needed a place to stay in order to for him to attend his next seminar and also sort out his work visa. A generous naiaralander has offered him a place when he finish his current seminar.

But you could still email me if you want to assist. I guess he could still use your help..

Since he's getting the help he needs, no need.

(1) (Reply)

Heartbroken. / Is This Madness Or What By Delta Boysx / My Girlfriend Broke Up With Me For A Flimsy Reason.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.