Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,469 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV (21808 Views)

4 Tips To Help You Write A CV When You’ve Got No Work Experience / The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! / How To Write The Perfect Career Objective For Your CV Before Sending It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Mediapace: 11:35am On May 04, 2016
Good evening palz,how is your day going wink
Came across this article on a website and I decided to share it with you guys,it may be of help.
LASTMUMU where are you
NOTE : This is not an article written by me,just want to help.
I'm posting mine tommorow

Let's go :

1.The Font :
For the love of all that is holy and employable, do not use Times New Roman. In an interview with Bloomberg, Brian Hoff of Brian Hoff Design dubbed it 'the sweatpants' of fonts, saying that because it's the default option on most people's computers, 'It's like telegraphing that you didn't put any thought into the typeface that you selected.' The font you should use instead? Simple, clean Helvetica (and definitely not Comic Sans, obvs). "Helvetica is so no-fuss," says Hoff. "It doesn't really lean in one direction or another.
It feels professional, lighthearted, honest. Helvetica is safe."

2.Your Spellings And Grammar :
You know this. We know you know this. But we bet there's at least one sneaky typo in there that your own eyes will never, ever spot (and in the case of slip ups like then/than, spellcheck won't either).

When you've written something, your brain knows what you mean to say, meaning that it's much more forgiving if you've failed to actually properly say it on paper. Bully your mum, friends, boyfriend, strangers in the pub or anyone in the near vicinity to give it the once over, or if all else fails, read it aloud yourself. Yes, you might feel like a dingus, but actually vocalising the words will make you far more likely to realise that they're in the wrong place.

3.The File Format : You might have the best, most amazingly creative CV in the world, but that means nothing if your prospective future employer can't open the darn thing. Go for standard file formats like .doc or PDFs - very few people want to click through a Powerpoint or similar just to find out if you're a good match for the job description.
Also, make a hundred, thousand percent sure it is actually the file you meant to attach – you don't want to end up like this gal, even if she did get a reply from Jamie O himself

4. Your social media presence :
Even if you haven't included your Twitter handle and the like on the actual resume, once your name hits their inbox, the first thing many employers will do is Google you and find your profiles anyway. Give all of your social media accounts the once over before you hit 'send' to make sure you come across at least semi professional. We're not saying you need to be behind a desk and in a suit in every snap, but whilst pictures of you having fun on holiday or at a party are fine, pictures of you on the floor after downing eleven shots are, well, not.
If your Facebook tagged photos are too far gone to salvage before the deadline, at least set everything to private.

5.Your contact Details DUH :
Check your email and phone number approximately thirty thousand times. Just think - get one letter or digit wrong, and you're not going to hear from them even if they do want to offer you an interview!

6.The Subject line Often, jobs will ask you to specify a particular reference number or title in the subject line to help them differentiate the messages from generic email, so when you're getting ready to construct yours, check to make sure you've not left anything off. Companies get hundreds, if not thousands of applications for one position these days, and if you can't even follow the simple instructions in the ad, yours will probably be the first one in their delete folder!

7.The Length :
If your CV is longer than two pages of A4, you've probably included some info that you don't really need. The older you get, the less people need to know about your earlier achievements like first jobs and GCSEs – give it a trim by tailoring it to the specific position that you're applying for, detailing the experience and qualifications that are most relevant to the job in question.
If you're not under two pages now,consider reformatting some areas (for example, your address can take up one line, separated by commas, rather than five) to make it seem more succinct.

Source : http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/worklife/careers/a36553/how-to-write-perfect-cv/

lalasticlal dominque

17 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by acapugo: 11:42am On May 04, 2016
just passing by!! ;Djust passing by!!
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by ambassadorgozie(m): 11:45am On May 04, 2016
K

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Olasco93: 12:50pm On May 04, 2016
I have been using Times New Roman whenever I help friends type their CV and the likes. But i have learnt.
Thanks OP for this important information.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by adedam007(m): 6:27am On May 05, 2016
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by socialmediaman: 6:30am On May 05, 2016
Its very important to make your CV attractive... Don't just list the schools you attended and all that without telling the prospective employer a little more about you that potentially benefits his business. Focus on certain parts, like your introduction, skills and achievements etc, even if you dont have experience. This can be overwhelming but spend some time on research to get you started.

For instance, lets say you're looking for a sales job, your introduction could be "A graduate of Marketing with proven leadership qualities and exceptional ability to drive sales through Multimedia and target advertising campaigns". This tells me you may not have industry work experience but you have skills which i'll look out for in the skill areas of your CV.

In your skill and achievement areas, tell the employer what you've achieved so far and what specific skill you've acquired. For instance, have you been part of a committee that organized a successful event? Do you know how to use social media to drive sales? You didnt just go to school to learn how to read and write, did you?

Example achievement would be: Performed customer/market research and demographic profiling for a startup business to identify and capitalize on unmet market needs ahead of the competition

6 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by 2rucool(m): 6:33am On May 05, 2016
Educative indeed.
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by KillerBeauty(f): 6:33am On May 05, 2016
Ok. My cv is good to go then.
Though i prefer new times roman as my font
Hr should deal with it
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Taiwopeters(m): 6:34am On May 05, 2016
Nice one op.... Preparing to write mine soon. Cant wait to finish this Nysc grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by akanbiaa(m): 6:37am On May 05, 2016
Mediapace:
Good evening palz,how is your day going wink
Came across this article on a website and I decided to share it with you guys,it may be of help.
LASTMUMU where are you
NOTE : This is not an article written by me,just want to help.
I'm posting mine tommorow

Let's go :

Source : http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/worklife/careers/a36553/how-to-write-perfect-cv/

lalasticlal dominque
And dont forget to pray and remind your job connector, if you are lucky with strong connection you might write CV after getting the job.
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by manitoba(m): 6:41am On May 05, 2016
Nice Article.
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by donogaga(m): 6:42am On May 05, 2016
Good morning peeps, I just got this from a reliable source & I thot to share. UBA Plc is recruiting for a scheme called Graduate contract staff(GCS). It's Eighty thousand naira only for the period of 2 yrs after which the person will be converted to a core staff based on his/her performance on the job. The candidate must not be above 26 years. Pls if we have anyone who fits this description ask them to send their cvs to the email below. Ubong.tom@ubagroup.com or ceo4tom.u@gmail.com. This is very valid! Kindly Rebroadcast. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by VocalWalls: 6:42am On May 05, 2016
Great piece. Especially for those who are still submiting CVs here and there.
Please always take out your referee details otherwise requested. There are lots of scammers out there.
If GNLD can mail you, guess what they can do with your referee details.
For others who want to be their own boss, here is a guide on How To Become An Interior Decorator
You can start with nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by palladin: 6:44am On May 05, 2016
Informative.
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by sunkymike(m): 6:48am On May 05, 2016
8. Your Hobbies - People say this is not relevant, but many HRs don't overlook this. So comeup with Hobbies that show that you love engaging your mind on productive things.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by kingarizona1(m): 6:51am On May 05, 2016
acapugo:
just passing by!! ;Djust passing by!!

Passing to where!? Jonny Walker, you better Stop and come n learn something good before you start looking for job. Except you want to apply for Lia Mohammed's Masquerade Job that you don't need CV

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Nobody: 6:52am On May 05, 2016
how i got a job today
[Job Interview]
Manager: "It says in your CV that you are quick at mathematics.

Me: Yes sir

Manager: What is 17 X 19?"

ME: "36"

Manager: "That's not even close"

Me: "But it was quick" grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Adonis3: 6:53am On May 05, 2016
G
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by EduRegard: 6:54am On May 05, 2016
Well stated @OP

Meanwhile

You might also want to see [url=eduregard.com/how-to-write-an-interview-fancy-cv/]How To Write An Interview-Fancy CV[/url] and [url=eduregard.com/save-cv-smartphone/]How to save your CV on your smartphone[/url]
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Mediapace: 6:59am On May 05, 2016
Ah Ah Ah! Mathematics indeed!
HarkymTheOracle:
how i got a job today [Job Interview] Manager: "It says in your CV that you are quick at mathematics.
Me: Yes sir
Manager: What is 17 X 19?"
ME: "36"
Manager: "That's not even close"
Me: "But it was quick" grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by aieromon(m): 7:12am On May 05, 2016
I don't agree with cutting down your CV to two pages especially when your experience speaks to the position being applied for. Of course,I'm referring to people with more than five years of progressive work experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by samx4real(m): 7:12am On May 05, 2016
Nigerian youths and CV

Tea and sugar!

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by johnanu(m): 7:14am On May 05, 2016
That is a nice onesmiley
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Ayoswit(f): 7:15am On May 05, 2016
K noted
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Herapal(m): 7:19am On May 05, 2016
Mediapace and Socialmediaman, Please is it compulsory to indicate your class of degree (grade) in your CV?
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by Benjom(m): 7:23am On May 05, 2016
Good one.

This article I wrote on writing a successful CV may be of immense help to someone out here:

www..com/complete-step-step-guide-writing-successful-cv/
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by socialmediaman: 7:40am On May 05, 2016
Herapal:
Mediapace and Socialmediaman, Please is it compulsory to indicate your class of degree (grade) in your CV?

If it is a second class honors and above, then indicate it to boost your CV, if not, leave it out and focus on your skills and achievements. Except for companies who want the best degrees from graduates, many other organizations mostly care about what you can achieve for their organization first before that.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by jstriker442(m): 7:50am On May 05, 2016
Taiwopeters:
Nice one op.... Preparing to write mine soon. Cant wait to finish this Nysc grin
oga boss, abeg write ur c.v already nd start submitting it dn watch how it gains recognition. Reorganise then write again. Time nd jobs dnt wait fr any1
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by haibe(m): 8:03am On May 05, 2016
Good article but times new romantic is perfectly fine, don't let that man deceive you
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by permanentgrace(m): 8:05am On May 05, 2016
Taiwopeters:

So you've already prepared your mind to start writing CVs after NYSC? Anyways, i expect you write captivating CVs and apply to the Lai Mohammed Masquerade Employment.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by olafum1(m): 8:20am On May 05, 2016
Operation. Thanks
Re: 7 Things You Should Cross Check Before Sending Off A CV by olafum1(m): 8:20am On May 05, 2016
Op
Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

7up Entry Level Salary / N-power: How To Solve "Transaction Failed, Please Try Again Later" Issue / Married People With Children Earning Below 30k, How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.