Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

The Dilemma Of A Light Skinned Lady. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Dilemma Of A Light Skinned Lady. (859 Views)

Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace / Creek A Light Horror / Tochi's Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Dilemma Of A Light Skinned Lady. by doladoja: 1:30pm On May 04, 2016
Okay, so the issue is that I am a light skinned lady, like some of my Yoruba brothers would call me ‘’Omo Pupa’’ or Bororo, some call me Afin or Escape from albino. It’s okay, I have no issue with that. It’s a normal thing and I tease my light skinned friends also, especially my Igbo female friends who are known for being light skinned or ‘’Yellow’’ like some razz people call them.
Firstly, there is nothing like Yellow in Complexion, I don’t think anyone is yellow, am sure people that refer to light skinned girls as yellow, have issues with colour. And please don’t tell me that an albino is yellow, that will even make me question your sight. I find it rather derogatory for someone to describe a light skinned girl as a Yellow girl. Someone please pick a yellow T shirt and place it beside a light skinned girl and tell me if it’s the same. Like you are comparing her to pawpaw.
Secondly, light skinned ladies have to go through the dilemma of being compared to other dark ladies. So here is the thing, God created Man in His own image, both Male and Female, dark or light were all created by God, excluding those that washed themselves sha! So a child does not tell Papa God, please make me dark, or I want to go to the earth as a Light girl or Albino. It just happens, and this can be genetically explained.
While growing up, many people compared me with my sisters, because I was the only light skinned in the family, so I hear a lot of, Ah Dammy is more beautiful, or No her sis is more beautiful, or it’s because of her skin, she is attractive not beautiful, oh Black is beautiful, or she thinks because she is light she is fine, if she was herself in a dark skin, then we will know who fine pass! Blah blah and so on.
And this is common everywhere, in offices, families, also entertainment industry. Am sure Omotola and Genevieve can testify to these. You will be surprised that some fans like Omotola because she is light skinned, some hate her because she is light skinned, some like Genevieve because she is dark, some hate her because she is dark. But what happens to their potential, and being judged based on their works and not on their looks or appearances.
Humans can be so short sighted most times. No one likes being compared with someone else, it leads to Jealousy, Strive, Envy and can also lead to Hatred. This issue of complexion as trivial as it sounds has put strains on lots of relationships.
Thirdly, the most annoying of all is the Fact that Light skinned ladies are labelled as Mammy Water!( Daughter of Water Goddess) Hahaha! Nawa o, if you are light, you have long hair, and you like swimming! Ah that is it you will be called a witch, a mermaid, mammy water, Aje or Omo Omi like my people will call it. I hear some guys saying ‘’oh I can’t date a Light skinned girl, am usually scared of them, most of them are witches’’. Ehen! At this age and time, we have people who are still very backwards in their thinking.
How do you know that she is a witch, Biko did you see her flying at night with a broom or chasing you in your dream with a cutlass threatening to cut you into pieces and feed your meat to her fellow witches? Did she show you dracula teeth, does she have fish tail or did you see her vanishing into thin air?
How can you judge a book by its cover? Why don’t you look at the content of the book, if you like what you see fine, and if you don’t move forward; it’s a free world. But don’t deprive yourself the opportunity of meeting wonderful people because of their complexion. And if you don’t like a dark person or a light person because of their complexion, just be diplomatic enough not to tell her that the reason why you can’t hang out with her or be her friend is because of her skin. If you do that, you are a Racist! Gbam.
Yes, I know we are entitled to our opinions and we have our likes and dislikes, we know what we want in a relationship, we have reasons why we make friends, etc. the list is endless. But my point is that we should be sensitive when we express our opinions.
Please do not Judge the content of the Container by its look!!

Regards,
DammyGold…
www.dammyinspire.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of A Light Skinned Lady. by Ginaz(f): 1:41pm On May 04, 2016
Colour doesn't matter, what matter now is that you didn't give space and paragraph in your write so this sucks.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Smell Of The Suya / The Pauper's Son 1...(a Short, Heart Touching Story) / OLU (diary Of A Broke Playboy) - Episode 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.