Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,086 members, 7,828,811 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. (17503 Views)

Anambra Least Foreign And Domestic Indebted State. Lagos, Osun, Highest -NBS / I Attended Akeredolu’s Inauguration For Yoruba Unity — Fayose / Yoruba Language Used To Welcome Dignitaries At The Africa-France Summit (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by jesuspikinjp(m): 10:33am On May 05, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Don't mind those parents.
I was with my one of my uncle one day. His daughter tried to speak Yoruba language do you know what my uncle said, he told the daughter don't speak vernacular. I just laughed.
I now told him, as a trained teacher/educationists I was told Mother tongue comes first before any other language.
If I do not understand my mother tongue, I won't be able to communicate with my grandma or be an interpreter for non-English language speakers in my environment.

lol imagine that. that is what you can never take away from Asian kids, you hardly see a British born or American born Asian kid blowing Grammar when he/she is with the family, always speak their language and I cherish them for that.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by segunpee: 10:36am On May 05, 2016
erusen:
abeg nor go there,who the f*ck knows yorubawood except Yoruba people?, how do you except me(an Edo man) to give one f*ck for a movies whose language I can't understand.

It is people like u that are addicted to Chinese films and Telemundo's Subtitled/"Voice impositions". Even if you don't understand yoruba be understanding enough to know it can be subtitled. Am Proudly Yoruba yet I delight in learning Ibo and other languages. It doesn't reduce my being yoruba or my person rather I can understand others better.
E je ki a maa ronu ki a to soro, o daa pupo fun ilera ara wa

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Twistaray(m): 10:38am On May 05, 2016
segunpee:

It is people like u that are addicted to Chinese films and Telemundo's Subtitled/"Voice impositions". Even if you don't understand yoruba be understanding enough to know it can be subtitled. Am Proudly Yoruba yet I delight in learning Ibo and other languages. It doesn't reduce my being yoruba or my person rather I can understand others better.
E je ki a maa ronu ki a to soro, o daa pupo fun ilera ara wa

Leave haters. God bless Yoruba race grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsltcnHxzfI&feature=related

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by ckmayoca: 10:40am On May 05, 2016
comos:
Lagos belongs to all Nigerians, thus yoruba language should not be allowed in the state house of assembly.

moreover there is an Igboman among them, how do you expect him to cope ?

Whatever they like, they shld do hausa had already taaken over the aso rock. This is fastes way for division of the country. How many kids even reside in SWand speaks English more than the yoruba. ? 90 percent speaks yoruba already. Environment teaches language not sch

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Twistaray(m): 10:41am On May 05, 2016
Yorubanews:
The Lagos state and Osun Houses of Assembly have advocated renewed commitment to Yoruba Language.

The assemblies in pursuant of this goal called on the government and other stakeholders to ensure compulsory teaching of Yoruba language in both private and public schools in all Yoruba speaking states.

Speakers of the two states, Honourable Mudashir Obasa and Najeem Salaam made the call when the former visited Osogbo to invite the latter to a Stakeholder Forum on compulsory teaching of Yoruba as an indigenous language in all schools in the state.

Representing the Lagos Speaker, the Chairman House Committee on Education, Lanre Ogunyemi said, it is important to enhance the teaching and learning of Yoruba language in schools in Yoruba speaking states.

According to him, the National Policy on Education was apt about the teaching of indigenous languages, saying, Yoruba language was not being valued as it happened in other climes like Europe, China, America among others.

“As a state and as a region, we must ensure that our language did not go into extinction, for this reason we must entrench it in all our schools.

“We have observed that in most of our schools, it is either they do not teach or have teachers to teach Yoruba language”

“The National Policy on Education said a student shall learn language of their environment, which is Yoruba in the South West region, Hausa in the North and Igbo in the East, meaning that it is compulsory that our children must learn their indigenous languages”, he said.

http://www.nigeriatoday.ng/2016/05/lagos-osun-assemble-advocate-for-yoruba-language/

This is a welcome development. If the whites are learning, speaking our language why shouldn't be proud of our language?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwM9APvlgA4?fs=1&

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by tim1256(m): 10:43am On May 05, 2016
comos:
Lagos belongs to all Nigerians, thus yoruba language should not be allowed in the state house of assembly.

There is a Yoruba in Kaduna State House of Assembly (he's from Kwara state, I've forgotten his name), he speaks Hausa with them. So, if the Igbo man can't speak Yoruba, he should back out.
Op, I hope you are not referring to Desmond Elliott? If yes, he now claims Lagos

7 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by mmsen: 10:44am On May 05, 2016
Languages are a tool and only last as long as they are useful.

If your desire is for a language to last then ensure that valuable texts are available in said language.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:46am On May 05, 2016
jesuspikinjp:

lol imagine that. that is what you can never take away from Asian kids, you hardly see a British born or American born Asian kid blowing Grammar when he/she is with the family, always speak their language and I cherish them for that.
My God help them.
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by segunpee: 10:49am On May 05, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

your facts are not right bro, he never sacked all yoruba teachers, je sacked teachers. I schooled in a government boarding school in osun during his tenure, we have 2Yoruba teachers(1pta and 1gov't). Her name is Mrs Arogundade.

Although I don't agree with Baba Akande sacking the yoruba teachers but I tell u 1 thg: Baba has is a visionary. He knew d Osun Wage bill was too much compared to their IGR, and he bravely did the unpopular Economical n right thg. Reduce some supposed subjects that are nt really the core. Though he overdid it, particularly with Yoruba. Baba has more Economic sense than all these Governors who keep employing thousands, granting high minimum wage, without growing their IGR or even building infrastructures in the schools n Teaching aids or Serious/Regular training. D man is a Proper Leader in the "order" of the incomparable Awolowo.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by OlujobaSamuel: 10:52am On May 05, 2016
segunpee:

Although I don't agree with Baba Akande sacking the yoruba teachers but I tell u 1 thg: Baba has is a visionary. He knew d Osun Wage bill was too much compared to their IGR, and he bravely did the unpopular Economical n right thg. Reduce some supposed subjects that are nt really the core. Though he overdid it, particularly with Yoruba. Baba has more Economic sense than all these Governors who keep employing thousands, granting high minimum wage, without growing their IGR or even building infrastructures in the schools n Teaching aids or Serious/Regular training. D man is a Proper Leader in the "order" of the incomparable Awolowo.
exactly, that's why I love him, he knows how to make critical decision without fear. The decision cost him his 2nd term, but baba no send. just do it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by excel101(m): 10:53am On May 05, 2016
They should be creative in making life better for the people that elected them in office. Making Yoruba language should be made compulsory in schools is not the issue, when their parents can do the job @ home.
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by lollytk(f): 10:58am On May 05, 2016
Yoruba is not just a tribe but a race, the language is spoken in Brazil,Togo,America, Benin republic, Nigeria etc.its d only African language being study in American university.the fact that an Igbo man is in Lagos Assembly means yorubas are accommodating. No race like Yoruba,I'm proud to be omo Yoruba atata. Oodua agbe wa ooo. grin

5 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by tunjion: 10:58am On May 05, 2016
YORUBA LANGUAGE AND BIAFRA.

IS NIGERIA DEAD ALREADY?

IF YOU WANT YORUBA LANGUAGE IN LAGOS, WILL ALL NIGERIANS MOVE BACK TO THEIR REGION OR YOU EXPECT AN IGBO CHILD THAT CANT SPEAK IGBO TO BE SPEAKING YORUBA?

THIS IS NOT GOING TO WORK.

IF NOBODY WANT NIGERIA BECOS YOU WANT TRIBES, BETTER TO SETTLE AMICABLY AND PEACEFULLY SO U CAN FACE TRIBE.
?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by goodvision12(m): 10:59am On May 05, 2016
Yorubanews:
Our leaders are just waking up ba?
Ogun, Ondo, and Ekiti please follow suite.
I doubt Ekiti will do much right now because the state currently has no leader.
Yoloobaas are highly tribalistic

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Missyetty(f): 11:07am On May 05, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

I feel like spanking those kind of people. I do tell them even, the English language they are promoting their kids to speak is not even a standard English.
Have you noticed that, people that studied Yoruba as a course in school speaks fluent English.
Yeah, i noticed too. The yoruba teacher that taught me back me in secondary school speaks fluent english. I so much adore the woman, you will fall in love if she reads yoruba stories to you.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by NewNigeriaMind: 11:15am On May 05, 2016
erusen:
abeg nor go there,who the f*ck knows yorubawood except Yoruba people?, how do you except me(an Edo man) to give one f*ck for a movies whose language I can't understand.

Which part of Edo are you from?
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by NewNigeriaMind: 11:16am On May 05, 2016
tunjion:
YORUBA LANGUAGE AND BIAFRA.

IS NIGERIA DEAD ALREADY?

IF YOU WANT YORUBA LANGUAGE IN LAGOS, WILL ALL NIGERIANS MOVE BACK TO THEIR REGION OR YOU EXPECT AN IGBO CHILD THAT CANT SPEAK IGBO TO BE SPEAKING YORUBA?

THIS IS NOT GOING TO WORK.

IF NOBODY WANT NIGERIA BECOS YOU WANT TRIBES, BETTER TO SETTLE AMICABLY AND PEACEFULLY SO U CAN FACE TRIBE.
?

But the igbo child in Paris that cant speak igbo can speak french. This black mentality of puling each other down is why the so called biafra will not materialise

8 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by codemaniacs: 11:16am On May 05, 2016
excel101:
They should be creative in making life better for the people that elected them in office. Making Yoruba language should be made compulsory in schools is not the issue, when their parents can do the job @ home.

Parents no longer have time for their kids.

They work till 5pm reach house like 7pm eat then sleep.

Schools now close at 4pm. Children spend most of their time school. So if a child attends a school like greensprings he'll never learn his language because every other student are from wealthy homes.

Only people that live in yoruba speaking areas or attend public schools can speak the language fluently.

Most people in private schools can't speak their languages.
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Phobia1: 11:19am On May 05, 2016
comos:

Abeg who b d ibo man in house of assembly?
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by NewNigeriaMind: 11:21am On May 05, 2016
comos:

The igbo man representing oshodi is married to a Yoruba woman. He can marry a Yoruba woman, live in yoruba land, make laws in yoruba land but dont want to learn to speak Yoruba language. You see how stupid you sound.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by enigma2007(m): 11:22am On May 05, 2016
seunny4lif:
grin grin
Either you learn it or ship out
Dats it

Yes oo!
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by codemaniacs: 11:24am On May 05, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

But the igbo child in Paris that cant speak igbo can speak french. This black mentality of puling each other down is why the so called biafra will not materialise

He said, u expect the igbo child to speak yoruba..

He already knows that if this had be done since the 1980s... Many igbos would be able to speak yoruba and the inter-marriage rate would be higher than it is now.

Making the igbo language almost extinct. Then everyone would start thinking all southerners are yoruba just the way people think all northerners are hausa.
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by frisky2good(m): 11:26am On May 05, 2016
For dem mind dem think say that rubbish pidgin Yoruba wey dem dey speak na original Yoruba. How many of them can speak genuine, unadulterated Yoruba? Focus on 4 major problems and try to solve them in 4 years instead of dabbling into every single issue in the society only to end up spending 4 year looking for the corner of a round house.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Omojudy: 11:27am On May 05, 2016
Yorubanews:
The Lagos state and Osun Houses of Assembly have advocated renewed commitment to Yoruba Language.

The assemblies in pursuant of this goal called on the government and other stakeholders to ensure compulsory teaching of Yoruba language in both private and public schools in all Yoruba speaking states.

Speakers of the two states, Honourable Mudashir Obasa and Najeem Salaam made the call when the former visited Osogbo to invite the latter to a Stakeholder Forum on compulsory teaching of Yoruba as an indigenous language in all schools in the state.

Representing the Lagos Speaker, the Chairman House Committee on Education, Lanre Ogunyemi said, it is important to enhance the teaching and learning of Yoruba language in schools in Yoruba speaking states.

According to him, the National Policy on Education was apt about the teaching of indigenous languages, saying, Yoruba language was not being valued as it happened in other climes like Europe, China, America among others.

“As a state and as a region, we must ensure that our language did not go into extinction, for this reason we must entrench it in all our schools.

“We have observed that in most of our schools, it is either they do not teach or have teachers to teach Yoruba language”

“The National Policy on Education said a student shall learn language of their environment, which is Yoruba in the South West region, Hausa in the North and Igbo in the East, meaning that it is compulsory that our children must learn their indigenous languages”, he said.

http://www.nigeriatoday.ng/2016/05/lagos-osun-assemble-advocate-for-yoruba-language/

I will like them to use yoruba in their state houses of assembly too
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Phobia1: 11:27am On May 05, 2016
comos:

Abeg who n d ibo man?
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by NewNigeriaMind: 11:29am On May 05, 2016
codemaniacs:

He said, u expect the igbo child to speak yoruba..

He already knows that if this had be done since the 1980s... Many igbos would be able to speak yoruba and the inter-marriage rate would be higher than it is now.

Making the igbo language almost extinct. Then everyone would start thinking all southerners are yoruba just the way people think all northerners are hausa.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MAKING IGBO LANGUAGE COMPULSORY IN SCHOOLS IN THE SOUTH EAST.

if you come to Lagos, is it not logical that as part of your social integration you learn and speak the indigenous language? when did speaking Yoruba in south west states equate the whole south speaking Yoruba.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by tunjion: 11:44am On May 05, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

This is the same aguement IPOB make against Nigeria.

It is either you stand for a Nigeria or Oduduwa.

Nigeria is a boiling pot today becos everybody feel threatened by the other and reacting without thinking.

Non yorubas learning the language should be on the bases of interest not force or compulsory.

That is the right thing to do, as language should not be forced on non speakers.

Rather everybody should learn their own language compulsorily.

Ijaw learn ijaw, Igbo learn Igbo, Fulani learn Fulani, hausa learn hausa, Ibibio learn Ibibio, etc.

If we all must speak a language then it must be Hausa which is widely spoken in West Africa.

Please let us support and pursue a Nigeria agenda not sectional Yoruba agenda or Igbo agenda as that leads to division and resentment.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by codemaniacs: 11:47am On May 05, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

WHAT HAPPENED TO MAKING IGBO LANGUAGE COMPULSORY IN SCHOOLS IN THE SOUTH EAST.

if you come to Lagos, is it not logical that as part of your social integration you learn and speak the indigenous language? when did speaking Yoruba in south west states equate the whole south speaking Yoruba.

because igbos who were born in SW would spread it to the SE even if the SE makes igbo compulsory.

It would mean Igbos born in SW would relate well with other igbos born in SW even if they are in the east.

It will be like a second language
Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by comos: 12:01pm On May 05, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

The igbo man representing oshodi is married to a Yoruba woman. He can marry a Yoruba woman, live in yoruba land, make laws in yoruba land but dont want to learn to speak Yoruba language. You see how stupid you sound.

The Igbo-man should be carried along by adopting english as the official and only language allowed in the Lagos state house of assembly.

I could remember he once complained about some member speaking yoruba during planery

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Cosbyrich: 12:09pm On May 05, 2016
erusen:
oduduwa was a prince from Benin kingdom.
And Erediauwa was a slave from Oyo Kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by Super1Star: 12:13pm On May 05, 2016
banmee:

here's the problem with you people. The things you should be clamoring for you don't, but the things that don't make sense you'll be all for it. As long as i can remember, yoruba as a subject has always been on the curriculum in public schools, so why bring up the legality now? And, if i own a private school, you cannot tell me the subjects i should teach which is why it is private.

If you are a private school owner, have you forgotten that you take your approval and license from the State Govt through the Min of Edu? You will be compelled to offer it as a compulsory subject.

It is not mandatory for you to have your school in SW. You can take it to any other region or even sambisa forest, where the Min of Education will not enforce the language on you

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. by waternogetenemy: 12:15pm On May 05, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

The igbo man representing oshodi is married to a Yoruba woman. He can marry a Yoruba woman, live in yoruba land, make laws in yoruba land but dont want to learn to speak Yoruba language. You see how silly you sound.

If this is another Yoruba agenda against igbos, forget it. What guarantee is there that Nigeria will still be one country by 2019?

Do you know?

Igbos would have left but for force used against then and Britain.

That means Igbo that came, will one day leave, just like Ghana came and left.

Yorubas stop having Igbo phobia.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

70% Of June Allocation From Non-oil Sector – FIRS Chairman Tunde Fowler / Ambode: Uyo Crowd Shows Buhari Is Undefeatable / IPOB Turning To Insurgency, Shila Boys Terrorising Adamawa — Peace Pro Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.