Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,312 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister (13969 Views)

Buhari Lacks Political Will To Halt By Fulani Herdsmen - Reps / How Saraki Blackmailed INEC Boss In Order To Halt Dino's Recall- SaharaReporters / Kachikwu, Others Worry As Fuel Marketers Halt Importation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by deluxez12(m): 9:39am On May 07, 2016
donphilopus:
[s][/s]

You'll always have something to spew. This Government is not as clueless as the previous Government for God's sake.
hush plz
stfu SOB
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by greatiyk4u(m): 9:44am On May 07, 2016
Beremx:
Let the hunger and famine continue....

tomatoes is now worth the price of gold...

Lord help us!

If market value of our locally produced food items gets improved, many Nigerians will be encouraged to go into farming............it is not bad at all, those doing the faaring deserve improved standard of living!
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by Nobody: 10:25am On May 07, 2016
Pol pot did this decades ago, millions died. I see we don't learn from history and always want our experience the hard way.
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by alcuin(m): 10:32am On May 07, 2016
Most Nigerians have a brain of the size of a peanut.

And their comments are above this.... sad

It's no use educating nitwits, who don't see beyond their nostrils.

Nairaland has gone to the dogs indeed. No sensible posts on most threads, only "wailing" without thinking.
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by Glare247(m): 10:45am On May 07, 2016
alcuin:
Most Nigerians have a brain of the size of a peanut.

And their comments are above this.... sad

It's no use educating nitwits, who don't see beyond their nostrils.

Nairaland has gone to the dogs indeed. No sensible posts on most threads, only "wailing" without thinking.
. I tire for most commentators here,its either they are ignorant or they are educated illitrate,d buy naija grow naija mentality we are shouting about,how do u think such will come to play if d govt refuses to take prunitive measures like dis,dis is another way to diversify d economy,as a youth I sugest we all need to think deep,we can be self reliant if we redirect our steps through agriculture,alot of young farmer are making it big year in year out.wake up nairaland youth,embrace d challenge coming!
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by NaijaEfcc: 11:15am On May 07, 2016
Government of I WILL!! are they still campaigning or what!!are we supposed to jump up?? get to work already jooor angry
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by NaijaEfcc: 11:16am On May 07, 2016
Beremx:

Lord help us!
hahahahaha Beremx is now wailing ooooh firefire and SeverusSnape who gave Beremx wailers form?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by Amhappy(f): 11:57am On May 07, 2016
Audu tell your oga to first of all deal with Fulani herdsmen who is killing food production in Nigeria. How can 8 LGA in Benue(food basket of the nation) be displaced. Same with farming communities in Nasarawa,Enugu etc and he is talking about food importation ban. Food crisis is already looming in Nigeria because of this issue alone. Pls Mr honorable minister wake up and protect your portfolio which is the only hope for Nigeria now Oil is selling so low.
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by omohayek: 11:58am On May 07, 2016
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02w9oCfrWtY

[size=15pt]Food importation threatens Nigeria's national security[/size]

This is ridiculous. Great Britain didn't resort to trying to grow all of its own food even at the height of two world wars, yet Nigeria, which is at peace with all of its neighbors, somehow needs to resort to this for "national security"? Utterly ridiculous!
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by omohayek: 12:05pm On May 07, 2016
All of the "buy Naija" nonsense, of which this is the latest manifestation, is borne of total ignorance of even the basics of economics. No country on earth ever got rich by shutting off imports - not a single one. On the contrary, opening one's economy up is strongly correlated with economic growth, and if Buhari had the first clue about what he's doing, he would have been deregulating, privatizing parastatals and let the Naira truly float. Instead he's taken the very opposite measures, and yet wonders why the economy is doing so poorly.

Nigeria is already one of the most closed economies on earth, with imports constituting only 12% of GDP, and the only place this new policy can lead is to make life even harder for tens of millions of poor Nigerians who must already spend most of their incomes on the basics of survival. Anyone who thinks making food more expensive for the poor is the answer to Nigeria's economic problems should read up on the Corn Law debates held in Britain during the 19th century - all protectionism does is make life harder for the many for the benefit of a few.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by ENZOSCIFO1: 12:51pm On May 07, 2016
Bassee:

Oga but he budgeted more for the Ministry of Information, Propaganda and Masquerade Research na. Abi I lie? The Ministry of Agriculture got just 29 billion and you say you want to stop food importation?

I think you need to be a gentleman and apologise to the dude you quoted.

That figure you quoted for Agriculture (29bn) was just the recurrent expenditure for the ministry. The budget allocation for each ministry is in 3 parts namely
Recurrent Expenditure
Capital Overhead
Capital Expenditure.

To set the record straight Agriculture got 76bn+ in total whilst Information and Tourism ( your masquerade ministry) got 45bn+ total.A huge difference of 31bn+
That difference is about 175% of what Works got in the 2015 budget
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by Bassee(m): 12:54pm On May 07, 2016
ENZOSCIFO1:

I think you need to be a gentleman and apologise to the dude you quoted.

That figure you quoted for Agriculture (29bn) was just the recurrent expenditure for the ministry. The budget allocation for each ministry is in 3 parts namely
Recurrent Expenditure
Capital Overhead
Capital Expenditure.

To set the record straight Agriculture got 76bn+ in total whilst Information and Tourism ( your masquerade ministry) got 45bn+ total.A huge difference of 31bn+
That difference is about 175% of what Works got for the 2015 budget

Then I take back my comment. But even at that 76bn is still a huge joke. You guys should go see what Jonathan put into Agriculture that was responsible for the massive gains he recorded.

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by ENZOSCIFO1: 12:59pm On May 07, 2016
After reading loads of comments here, it's really obvious that average Nigerian youth is not as sound intellectually as he ought to be.

Imagine someone complain about cost of tomatoes in market and blame the govt.Yet it was widely reported that this country now does over 3 million metric tonnes of tomato paste per day in Lagos and Kano combined. Common economics of increase in demand.
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by ENZOSCIFO1: 1:15pm On May 07, 2016
Bassee:

Then I take back my comment. But even at that 76bn is still a huge joke. You guys should go see what Jonathan put into Agriculture that was responsible for the massive gains he recorded.

I read your post and did a quick check on the fact ( I love to deal with facts) .Anyway 2015 budget had 39bn+ for Agriculture... that's about 51% of the 2016 allocation.

But then I need to quickly add that it is not about amount involved rather the commitment, honesty and transparency of those to handle it.
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 07, 2016
Trust the Nigerian government to ban everything and then tell us to eat what we are not used to like cassava bread. The government needs to be pragmatic about what we import and what we do not import.

He cited the example of China even when China imported $26 billion worth of agricultural products from the U.S alone in 2012.

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by WhoRUDeceiving: 1:33pm On May 07, 2016
That pics of the warrant chief Onu looks like he himself, knows he is telling jokes
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by Bondesniger(m): 2:22pm On May 07, 2016
i pray this works out well with the distribution of machineries to help youth
send food problem away
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by bayulll011(m): 2:44pm On May 07, 2016
Beremx:

Lord help us!

Red flag for buhari on this issues,Nigeria are so docile that we can't produce our own food,america,china and indian with large populations produced their own food,A nation that cannot feed itself is a doomed nation,bubu should not ban now,give agriculture number one priority,make sure there are adequate storage systems,then let's do bioinvention,genetic engineering research and innovations,imagine apple as big as water melon,imagine banana as big as yam also chicken big as goats,those are the beauty of research institution which university in a developed country contributes,but what do we have in nigeria,research funds stolen,strike from lecturers and all manner of stupidity,this policy is a good one at the wrong time cos there is hunger in the land
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by Caseless: 7:30pm On May 07, 2016
ourkobo:
This is a govt that will ban the importation of food but
commence the importation of grass for cows.
Dear God,how did we get this kind of president?

meanwhile
vote ivyy for miss Nairaland
www.nairaland.com/ivyy
you don't sell ivyy by being partisan; you might end up turning the affected people against her. I'm for Apc and BUHARI, I really find your comment offensive. Appear neutral until after the election. I have seen reasons to show myself on many threads, but restrained myself just because of her.

#I'm zombie and proud
Re: Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister by mikolo80: 8:06pm On May 07, 2016
ourkobo:
This is a govt that will ban the importation of food but
commence the importation of grass for cows.
Dear God,how did we get this kind of president?

meanwhile
vote ivyy for miss Nairaland
www.nairaland.com/ivyy
new specie that we do not currently possess.shebi malaysia imported palm oil from us

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu: Court Takes Decision On Arrest Of Fani-kayode, Abaribe, Others / Economy Will Pick Up In 2017, Says FG / ”president Buhari’s Scheduled Visit To Rivers Based On Killings - Femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.