Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,046 members, 7,814,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Fanti Carnival in Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Fanti Carnival in Lagos (5276 Views)

Calabar Carnival 2015 Countdown / Nairaland Travel Shop. Carnival Ship Cruises, Reservations, Visas, Tours. pics / Memories of 2007 Calabar Christmas Season/ Carnival (In Picures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fanti Carnival in Lagos by fadol(m): 7:58pm On Nov 16, 2005
Fanti Carnival was brought to Lagos Island by the Brazilians who came to Lagos Years ago, and most of them were settled around Campus area in Lagos State and on Lagos Island to be specific. The carnival comes up three times in a year. Xmas, Easter and on New years day. As time went on , the people living in Lafiaji area , also in Lagos Island started participating in the carnival.

In years past, it was usually between these two areas, but now, i learnt the people on the mainland have started participating in the carnival. Before now, the carnival used to be very interesting as people dress in all types of costumes, nice music to be heard, loads of food and drinks, even you can be lucky to meet a girl you like .

It is done by means of a parade, these two areas,(Campus and Lafiaji) walk round the streets of Lagos Island showing their costumes and playing nice and beautiful musi, at the end, they are like competing to know which area has better music, better costumes and most especially the most crowd.

My Question now is this. why has this Carnival that used to be very interesting in the past, turned out to be something like a war? I learnt there is always fightings amongst varios areas to the extent that it turns out to be bloody? So wot is all the fuss about this Fanti carnival? I think it should be well organized by now and should be somehow comparable to the Notting Hill Carnival, or what do you think my people?
Re: Fanti Carnival in Lagos by SEGUN2003(m): 11:35pm On Nov 16, 2005
I don't understand why our people can be so stupid. It's fighting and fighting all the time. Here in Brazil the land of carnaval, Carnaval is the synonym of happiness, dancing, drinking, lots and lots of beautiful girls, so why this violence for God's sake?
Re: Fanti Carnival in Lagos by Seun(m): 1:03am On Nov 17, 2005
When does this Fanti Festival take place? New year?
Re: Fanti Carnival in Lagos by fadol(m): 8:12pm On Nov 17, 2005
The Fanti Carnival takes place on Christmas day, New years day, and Easter Sunday.
Re: Fanti Carnival in Lagos by Seun(m): 1:34am On Mar 29, 2006
How was the last Fanti Carnival?
Re: Fanti Carnival in Lagos by TerraCotta(m): 5:50am On Dec 16, 2006
Anybody going this year on the 25th? There are so many complaints about violence etc. I'm not sure it's worth it. But I definitely want to go,

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Board Abuja To Lagos By Train. / Please Nigeria Government Talk To Your Ambassador In Malaysia! / Very Interesting Facts About Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.