Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,049 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? (14094 Views)

When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? / Is Hot Water Or Cold Water The Best To Wash A Car Engine? / Guys Pouring Wine On New Car To "Wash" It (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by akanniade10(m): 4:06pm On May 07, 2016
I have been hearing different opinions about this, someone even said he doesn't do it at all on his cars and never will.
How often should this routine be carried out?
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by d33types: 5:40pm On May 08, 2016
never..
a rag or foam dipped in fuel can be used to clean any dirty parts

5 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 08, 2016
My engine bay gets steam cleaned / pressure washed 4 times annually.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by titosantana(m): 6:20pm On May 08, 2016
I did that once and I vow never to do it again. This happened two years ago.

It happened thus: after the watching, car refused to start, the mechanic I called had to work on it for like 2hrs before it eventually start. Meen that was so painful for I had lots to do that day.

7 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by peterjero(m): 6:24pm On May 08, 2016
Siena:
My engine bay gets steam cleaned / pressure washed 4 times annually.
Are there no side effects sir?
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 08, 2016
peterjero:

Are there no side effects sir?

I've never suffered any ill effects in 26 years of my above practice.

8 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 08, 2016
I did so to my car 2 year ago, my car had not recovered from that shock. It was the Genesis of my car engine problem. I kept changing and changing until i left the car for up to 1 year after which my pastor redidcated the car and since then it is working but not like before. Up till this moment my car ac is not working etc.

I don't advice any one to do that.

6 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 9:19pm On May 08, 2016
I dont advice any one to do that. Since i washed my car engine my car is yet to recover from the shock.

3 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Emekayoung(m): 8:51am On May 09, 2016
Haven't done it b4 and never will i,have heard lots of ill stories about engine steam wash. And i don't want to be a victim to dat...

2 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 09, 2016
I rarely wash my car engine... I have a phobia for it despite not having suffered any issues... because you can never tell the day your cup will get filled up... lol
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by ataspray(m): 1:29am On May 10, 2016
lol what cars do you people drive biko? from what I am reading here, it seems people dont wash their engines because they feel some problem would arise from doing that?

3 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by RichYoungNigga: 6:47am On May 10, 2016
Twice every month.
When i go to the car wash, i put in 25 cents (3 dollars), open my car hood and it will do it's job
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by jamex93(m): 6:47am On May 10, 2016
Please always wash ur engine

Its cool

1 Like

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Nobody: 6:48am On May 10, 2016
Why wouldn't you clean your engine bay?

2 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by jazinogold(m): 6:49am On May 10, 2016
grin
engines varies o....hope is not d engine am thinking about! she no dy gree me wash m!

3 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by OKorowanta: 6:51am On May 10, 2016
Dis comments are vital as I am currently contemplating washing mine.
It's really dusty and might shelf d idea.
Maybe d idea of fuel soaked foam will be a gud one.

2 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by justicejay(m): 6:52am On May 10, 2016
Only when its get dirty, especially if I pass through a muddy place or flood area.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by kobonaire(m): 6:54am On May 10, 2016
Engine washing is a waste of your time! If you have an engine area that gets unusually dirty/oily then there is something mechanically wrong with your engine (oil seals etc).
Once a year, you can take a rag and do a cleaning around the engine for aesthetics.
If you want to clean your car - focus on the body and give it a good wax job at the end. That to me is worth your effort and will lead to a longer lasting body/paintwork.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by attegambo: 6:54am On May 10, 2016
As you finish washing the engine ,before washing the body ,you'll start the engine of your car allow it to steam for 20minutes
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Biggestjoe72(m): 6:57am On May 10, 2016
Car Engine wash Never again! Tried it once,my car almost went up in flames, but for Mechanic,who quickly pulled off the fuse that sparked off the fire. This was some 3yrs ago. The trauma lives on.

2 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by alatbaba1(m): 7:04am On May 10, 2016
Depending on Hw and whr it is done. Some parts of the engine r covered. But I don't advise d practice.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by ebuks4ever(m): 7:07am On May 10, 2016
After my last engine wash...had to virtually tow the car to the garage...changed plug wires and speed sensor....
But I hear the Japanese cars don't have these issues... Mine is a Skoda. Engine is so dirty now but drives sweet

1 Like

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by luvinhubby(m): 7:11am On May 10, 2016
Not too often in Nigeria, our car washers can kill engine eh!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by swaggzo(m): 7:12am On May 10, 2016
undecided
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by dokiOloye(m): 7:15am On May 10, 2016
My cousin once washed his car engine and it was one trouble or the other from that moment until he ended up replacing d engine.
For me,it's a no no,but however,I can buy kerosene or fuel used with foam or rag and give my mechanic's apprentice to clean d engine if it gets dirty.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Exponental(m): 7:24am On May 10, 2016
Washed d 4½ yrs old car engine once or so. Too bad abi.... I will hopefully this month cos it's kind of dirty.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by cmpunk: 7:27am On May 10, 2016
I wash 2 or 3 times a year. I observed the washman always cover the coil area and also alternator(not sure) with nylon or waterproof material. Ive never had any issue and i think it's cool.

2 Likes

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by georgio(m): 7:34am On May 10, 2016
I use a Honda Pilot 2005 and I have washed the engine three times in 2yrs since I have been using it. The thing is most of all these car wash spots have no knowledge about engines so they just go ahead and was the engines as if they are washing a water bottle.....forgetting there are very sensitive parts e.g the alternator. Especially in hondas.
What I do and what I advise is for you to take your car to a proper carwash shop like Total wash.
Most Total filling stations have Total service, Total wash etc. Their skill level is very high. The last time I washed my car engine was March. And I paid 5K for total wash, inside, engine, boot, chairs, rug. And they did a fantastic Job. Found out from one of my frineds I reccomended total wash to that some total wash station collect lower than 5k.

N.B Anoda advice is that it's always better to wash your car engine during dry season.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by Ejehjoe(m): 7:40am On May 10, 2016
I have learnt much from post. I have finally concluded not to wash my car engine again save dusting and minor cleanings as directed above. God bless the poster. Worthy of occupying front page!
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by billyG(m): 7:40am On May 10, 2016
OKorowanta:
Dis comments are vital as I am currently contemplating washing mine.
It's really dusty and might shelf d idea.
Maybe d idea of fuel soaked foam will be a gud one.
make sure u dnt start d car until dry completely.
Re: Guys How Often Do You Do Engine Wash? by oshe11: 7:43am On May 10, 2016
I'm sorry for deviating!

But my fellow Nairalanders(Civil Engineers),

Please can U link me up with any site where I cn get Civil Engineering Projects and their complete materials?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Safety Features In Cars Invented By Volvo / Car Wars!Aston Martin Chiefs Mocks Rolls-Royce's £350k Phantom As Old-fashioned / Mercedes-Maybach Teases Luxurious New Concept For 2018 Beijing Auto show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.