Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of (1368 Views)

10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv / "Nigerian Families Are Very Traditional" - Scottish Scholar / This Is A Real Destroyer Of Families...are You Guilty Of This Act Of Infidelity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by geesampower(m): 8:46am On May 08, 2016
THIS WRITE-UP IS BASED ON AN EXPERIENCE AND CHAT WITH AN HOUSE GIRL

Some days ago I went to visit a Family, they had 2 house girls as we popularly refer to young female house keepers here in Nigeria.
This family had no use for the 2 of them so they decided to "dispose" of one. So another friend came over to talk to the girl and see if the girl would be able to work with here.

The Bargain
The bargain is usually between the person in need of the house girl and the "Brother" or "sister" of the house girl in question. The girl has ZERO say on the matter.
Now when they ask you to speak with their "brother" you would think that they are referring to a family of blood brother. The truth is the so called brother is almost always unrelated to the girls. They are the ones who mobilize the girls from the villages in Nigeria and nearby countries (usually Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast) down to the cities in Nigeria.
She collects the number of the so called brother and the bargain begins in Yoruba.

"Hello, is this Mr. Shitu?"

/The guy responds by asking who is calling and why?/

"I am interested in Bimbo, I want her to come and work for me, so my friend gave me your number"

/the guy must have responded affirmatively that he is incharge of bimbo/

"Ehn, but the problem is 18,000 naira is too much nau!"

"Eheemm, can I pay 12,000?"

"Ejooo, Let me pay 12,000. You know I will take care of her; buy her cloths feed her well"

Long story short, the man agreed to accept 12,000 naira for bimbo. All this while the girl was just looking like lucozade. Immediately she followed her new madam to her house. Just like that.

MY SHOCKING DISCOVERY!

Without much stories, I latter discovered that that 12,000 naira being negociated was a WHOLE YEAR's PAY for the girl! IMAGINE!!!

That is just N1,000 naira per month!

So the WICKED WOMAN was pricing 5,000 naira off a whole year's salary that is barely 300 naira per month!

Is she sooo poor she can't pay ordinary 18,000 naira for the girl's services?

WHY ARE WE SOOO WICKED? I even thought the 12,000 was per month, hence her reason for negotiating. How can you be soo cruel to be negotiating 1000 naira per month as salary?

MORE SHOCKING DISCOVERIES
Guess what?

1. The girl won't have any bit of the money or just a little after the whole year of servitude?

2. The man or madam that brought her to lagos would collect 5,000 out of the money.

3. The remaining 7,000 goes to the girls family

4. All the girl's sisters are also house girls.

5.They parents intentionally deprive them of education. All they want os to use them and make money (even though the money is peanuts)

we keep condemning human trafficking and modern day slavery, BUT you the average wives and mothers in Nigeria are the ones fueling the business. You are the ones destroying the destinies of these children

Many of those girls will end up as prostitutes where they make what you pay them in a whole year under some hours

YOU ARE HYPOCRITES! You are a doctor, a lawyer, accountant, a professional working woman that claims to be educated and you are callously taking advantage of these girls. You don't care to make them better. How can you justify paying a whole human that ridiculous amount of money even knowing none will get to the poor girl.
Yet you go to Church and raise up holy hands!
If heaven exists, I doubt if any of you will make it.

Written By
Muyiwa Olagoke S.

Cc royalroy, Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44

Please let's raise the awareness.

5 Likes

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by olamideayodeji1: 9:10am On May 08, 2016
Bros pls get ur fact right, no "brother" will accept 12k for a whole year, its per month and thats 144k per year. And pls stop making it look like its such an evil thing to have a house girl, sometimes these girls doesnt do anything in the house than to stay with ur kids till u get back from work.
I have a house maid and I treat her like a typical employee.

1 Like

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by lodscott(m): 9:19am On May 08, 2016
house boys Nko? when you go write about that one
Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by geesampower(m): 9:24am On May 08, 2016
olamideayodeji1:
Bros pls get ur fact right, no "brother" will accept 12k for a whole year, its per month and thats 144k per year. And pls stop making it look like its such an evil thing to have a house girl, sometimes these girls doesnt do anything in the house than to stay with ur kids till u get back from work.
I don't know anything about housegirls, I stated it that this was written based on what I witnessed. I also thought the money was per month.
Good you take care of your own house help.
Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by lilmax(m): 9:56am On May 08, 2016
The same women saying girls should be in school,girls should be empowered,rapping gender equality all over will be the same ones to employ these girls as househelps....smh

4 Likes

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by 1miccza: 10:49am On May 08, 2016
Op now this is not true,the first househelp that my brother took in earns 15k per month,sleeps with them and feeds even more than their kids from them.. She even goes on leave,at that time even as a fresh graduate my pay wasn't up to hers.. They later increased it to 20k.. Currently they have two, the first earns 20k per month and the second attends a very expensive secondary school they all live with them and are feeding fat...

1 Like

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by hahn(m): 10:50am On May 08, 2016
What else do you expect from a country whose citizens serve imaginary gods and have misplaced priorities about what morality is all about. You will still see them at churches or mosques praising their imaginary gods with the hope of making heaven. After all, even the bible god supports slavery.

[b]Leviticus 25:44-46 ESV

As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Colossians 4:1

Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.

Ephesians 6:5

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ,

Exodus 21:20-21

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Titus 2:9-10

Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.

1 Peter 2:18

Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust.

Deuteronomy 23:15

“You shall not give up to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you.

Exodus 21:1-36

“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’ ...[/b]

Awon werey undecided

2 Likes

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by InformedLola(f): 2:45pm On May 08, 2016
olamideayodeji1:

Stop trying to justify something that is wrong. Is the girl with you going to school, if not, is it right to deny a child of education or be party to the act? How old is she? Hope you know it is legally wrong to have a person below 18 working for you, and you are therefore committing a crime.

3 Likes

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by HardMirror(m): 6:25pm On May 08, 2016
1miccza:
Op now this is not true,the first househelp that my brother took in earns 15k per month,sleeps with them and feeds even more than their kids from them.. She even goes on leave,at that time even as a fresh graduate my pay wasn't up to hers.. They later increased it to 20k.. Currently they have two, the first earns 20k per month and the second attends a very expensive secondary school they all live with them and are feeding fat...
Speak for yourself. Somebody is sharing his experience and what is most likely happening to many other girls you are here talking of your brother. Can't you read? The write up is based on a real life experience. Geeez!

3 Likes

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by HardMirror(m): 6:28pm On May 08, 2016
hahn:
What else do you expect from a country whose citizens serve imaginary gods and have misplaced priorities about what morality is all about. You will still see them at churches or mosques praising their imaginary gods with the hope of making heaven. After all, even the bible god supports slavery.

[b]Leviticus 25:44-46 ESV

As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Colossians 4:1

Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.

Ephesians 6:5

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ,

Exodus 21:20-21

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Titus 2:9-10

Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.

1 Peter 2:18

Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust.

Deuteronomy 23:15

“You shall not give up to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you.

Exodus 21:1-36

“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’ ...[/b]

Awon werey undecided
Wicked souls.
Hypocrites of the highest order!

Enslaving underage kids

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by 1miccza: 7:15pm On May 08, 2016
HardMirror:

Speak for yourself. Somebody is sharing his experience and what is most likely happening to many other girls you are here talking of your brother. Can't you read? The write up is based on a real life experience. Geeez!

And you that knows how to read,Mr know all would have seen where on the first page someone countered just like i did and the Op said that was what he witnessed thinking it was the same everywhere... You should learn to be civil when you're spoiling for a showdown dude....
Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 08, 2016
You don't know what you are saying, no agent will ever collect N12000/annum, except he has a brain problem.
That being said, I don't support child labour _ but if the said child is 18+ and takes that independent decision to be a "house help", probably she doesn't want to go to school, so be it.

Personally, any house help that I decide to stay with can't just sit at home all day. If she doesn't want formal education, then she has to learn a skill or trade.

1 Like

Re: HOUSE GIRLS - Modern Day Slavery, Nigerian Families Are Guilty Of by Aquariann: 7:45am On May 09, 2016
olamideayodeji1:

To know whether it's evil or not, how old is this your "House maid"? And since staying with your kids isn't "Anything", why don't you leave them by themselves without any need for the maid?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Domestic Violence / Help Any Good Hospital Around Dopemu / 5 Reasons You Need To Open A Savings Account For Your Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.