Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This (25390 Views)

How To Draft A Consent Letter To Act As A Director Of A Company? / Financial Decisions You Shouldn’t Be In A Rush To Make As Entry Level Employee / Hilarious Chat Between A Boss And His Employee(snapshot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by charming1111(m): 10:07am On May 08, 2016
In every organisation in Nigeria, the love between supervisors and “eye service” is same as the love between Nigeria and fuel scarcity. If you can stop Buhari from coming to Nigeria as a “visiting president” then you can separate supervisors from “eye service”.

Except the GOD OF SHILOH is on your side, getting a job in Naija is like winning N10,000,000 from nairabet. It’s very difficult!!! There are alot of graduates in the labour market who have been job hunting for decades but are still unemployed; that’s why, the few who are employed, protect their jobs the same way Claudio Ranieri of LeicesterCity is protecting the English premier league title.

Finally, God has answered your prayers! You just got employed and as custom demands, the organisation would train you on her vision as a corporate entity and how you should treat her customers. But then, nobody will teach you about POLITICS IN THE OFFICE.

It is clearly written in the book of Matthew that, where 2 or 3 are gathered, there’s bound to be a PDP and an APC member, that is to say, politics in the office is inevitable. It has eaten so deep into supervisors such that they forget about the corporate goals of the organisation and they start chasing after frivolities.

A supervisor once said, “Subordinates who ask after my family and call me while am on vacation, their appraisal score must be higher than those who neither called me nor asked after my family”........can you imagine? How does calling one’s supervisor while he/she is on vacation, affect the goals of the organisation? This is a clear show of misplaced priority.

In most organisations, subordinates who are experts at “eye service” are always in their supervisors’ BOOK OF LIFE. They are untouchable! Surprisingly, these set of employees are not efficient/effective on the job; all they know how to do is, “eye service” It’s really painful to see hardworking employees being BLACKLISTED by their superiors all because they focus on their jobs and they little or no time for eye service.

During retrenchment, most supervisors are guilty of sentiment. They would submit the names of effective staff that are not so good at “eye service” and retain ineffective employees who are only good at game of “eye service”.......just imagine!!!

Although politics is part of our everyday life, it is ideal for supervisors to focus on achieving the goals of the organisation instead of being distracted by “eye service”. In the same vein, as an employee (a subordinate), even if you are extremely good on the job, and you hate “eye service” with passion, once in a while, play the game of office politics. Remember, you must PROTECT your JOB, because, it is easier for a CAMEL to pass through the eye of a NEEDLE than for a YOUNG GRADUATE to get a JOB in Naija.

As a director, all “eye service” seeking supervisors should be cautioned; else, this attitude would negatively impact on the organisation’s brand and profitability.

http://www.infongr.com/2016/05/as-director-sack-any-employee-that.html

22 Likes 9 Shares

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by ogoplus: 10:46am On May 08, 2016
Such is life....
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by lifezone247(m): 6:06am On May 09, 2016
I'm coming let me read................stop reading when I get to that GOD OF SHILOH part.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by realborn(m): 6:08am On May 09, 2016
Work places will always consist of diverse people. What you call "eye service" may be called in other parlance "apt social & interpersonal skills". Such useful skills become detrimental when the bearer exhibits the following:

a. Lacks diligence; hence depends on this social intelligence factor to grow in the company.

b. Always willing to pull other colleagues down by covertly reporting them to superiors even when unnecessary. Snitches are the worst members of any organization. They tear the fabric of togetherness.

c. Always willing to outshine others in pleasing superiors. This relates to excessive use of the ability and charm for personal gains.

Other than these unsuitable attributes above, there is nothing wrong (in my opinion) for a staff to call a superior during vacation to ask after his or her family as long as it is done with sincerity of purpose. Trust me, such sincerity is always felt and known by the receiving party.

Many successful business owners had a combination of diligence & strong interpersonal skills with astute emotional intelligence to become great people.

"Eye Service" is the negative use of such skills.

My 2 cents.

28 Likes

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by obinna2nv(m): 6:08am On May 09, 2016
Are you tryna say that we should learn the art of "eye service" to survive in a hostile working environment?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by sashx(m): 6:09am On May 09, 2016
#fact

1 Like

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by DropShot: 6:09am On May 09, 2016
Lwkd.

Reason? This thread was made since yesterday morning but could only manage getting just one post till twas brought to the FP this morning.

Na only politics and yeyebrity news Nairaland sabi.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by coolebux(m): 6:09am On May 09, 2016
We're here already gringrin
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by tunwumi: 6:09am On May 09, 2016
If you love ur job u will do all needed to protect it even if you don't like something u do.
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by PoundedYam(m): 6:10am On May 09, 2016
On point

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by BUAR(m): 6:10am On May 09, 2016
Issorite
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by Gbemmyxal(f): 6:10am On May 09, 2016
Fact this piece is
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by kheart(m): 6:10am On May 09, 2016
Hard fact, my recent job is a house full with scorpions and snakes.

A guy in my office told us how asst manager was promoted because of eye service only for me to catch him reporting/gossiping about us to the asst manager.

5 Likes

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by swizzdre(m): 6:10am On May 09, 2016
meaning? make I stop eye service and work hard....don't work hard, work intelligently.
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by DankemzI(m): 6:11am On May 09, 2016
Some even go to the extent of taking dropping Ogas kids from school
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by Nobody: 6:12am On May 09, 2016
What do you expect in a country like ours? Op maybe you have not heard of this song before (Nigeria jagajaga aah everything scatter scatter)

That's Nijia for you
Even Oga Bubu can not change this with his changing materials

1 Like

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by ataspray(m): 6:12am On May 09, 2016
when ur in rome behave like the romans..
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by mikeweezy(m): 6:12am On May 09, 2016
so what else?
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by TopOne1: 6:13am On May 09, 2016
Nice one. As a supervisor most of the eye service colleagues are already on the retrench list, just waiting to conclude the procedure. Lol those people are really burden to the company I tell you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by Cholls(m): 6:14am On May 09, 2016
my brother kill them before they kill you.

1 Like

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by 9japrof(m): 6:15am On May 09, 2016
This reminds me of ma office, where ma director is a pain in the ass. I am in the opposition and I don't give a hoot because I know the power to sack me is not in his hands. He can only whine and cry.

Its a Federal job, the best he can ever do is to seek for ma redeployment. I got colleagues who would leave the office,play around Buh would be good boy when he's around. If he travels for days, those niggas would be no where near the office, Buh they always get appraisal and tips from the boss, who cares ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by afroxyz: 6:15am On May 09, 2016
If you believe in yourself and know your job, you would not need to kiss anybody's ass

5 Likes

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by olafum1(m): 6:15am On May 09, 2016
Such can be avoided with well laid down rules and regulations.. .
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by Ramon92: 6:15am On May 09, 2016
Life is about politics, about survival..

3 Likes

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by donogaga(m): 6:16am On May 09, 2016
True that.
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by petrov10: 6:16am On May 09, 2016
this write up is so true

exist between students and tutors too
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by free2ryhme: 6:17am On May 09, 2016
Play by your own rules if you need to survive office politics
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by lmm4real: 6:18am On May 09, 2016
undecided
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by free2ryhme: 6:19am On May 09, 2016
keep you friend close, your enemies closer

1 Like

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by samx4real(m): 6:19am On May 09, 2016
Hmmm

Odikwa egu!
Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by mindboggler: 6:19am On May 09, 2016
Nice write up.
Reminds me of my former work place where a female colleague was a professional at eye service. She would spend the time gisting in the office but once our oga at the top walks in, fiiiaaamm! She's transforms into a workaholic. SMH

1 Like

Re: As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This by free2ryhme: 6:20am On May 09, 2016
naturaldora:
That's Nijia for you

wetin dis one dey talk undecided

after you go say you be graduate

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Not Been Paid For 22 Months Now; Expert Advice Needed / How Do I Become An Air Hostess? I Need Advice / He Bribed His Way And Got A Job But Got Laid Off By The New Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.