Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,232 members, 7,953,882 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:10 AM

How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd (53158 Views)

Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? / Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? / Tired Of Being Cheated By Your Bus Drivers? Relief Is Here. Earn With No Hustle. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 25, 2016
Always read the terms and conditions before appending your signature... subsequently, always always check you receipts balance after every month, I did a similar plan once with Mansard, after looking at the balance after my first 3months, observing the charges, crashed the plan collected my full cash and bailed. But before I collected my money, I sent a mail, fully worded with legal terms, asking them for a breakdown , I even quoted laws and from regulatory materials, they quickly responded with what I wanted, the next mail was a full request of my funds without deductions. They obliged with apology self, no stories.

If.you want ur cash, prepare plan and attack with precision.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by obembet(f): 10:01pm On May 25, 2016
[quote author=lekside071 post=45682110]

I understand your pain my brother. But I having a little understanding of what may have transpired having worked with an insurance company before. Firstly the agent that sold the insurance policy did not tell you the truth from inception and tricked you into a long term policy because this would increase his/her commission. From the name of the policy it has a saving and protection or a life insurance embedded in it. Now if you have contributed 140k, part of it will go on an investment account while the premium of the protection part ( Life insurance) will be deducted annual. Dont assume the whole 140k is an investment because there is a fee you have to pay for your life insurance.God forbid if anything had happened to you an amount would have been paid as benefit. Note that premium paid on life insurance is non refundable because its a service. So what may have happened was that the premium to cover your life was deducted constantly for 6 yrs out of your 140k and if not for the investment that may have accrued your contribution, you will be getting a less or nothing. I am no longer in the insurance industry but I just tried to put the bits together to analyse what MAY HAVE TRANSPIRED....[/quote

that is the fact.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by sunkoye: 10:41pm On May 25, 2016
Mutual benefit is known for scamming people. Op had almost the same issue with them....I needed to terminate my investment with them...I had to calculate my outstanding of over 400k which I added to prevent any drama. But alas....the are drama themselves. My two years savings came back without interest whilst still charging 35k from my principal for what ever reasons. I had to let go cos my cousin was my account officer. angry
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by tosinjay(m): 10:48pm On May 25, 2016
Eyah this is saddening, that's why i hate all this investment things from my omomo years. They are mostly scam, i can save my money better than giving my money to thieves!
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by CJ310(m): 10:51pm On May 25, 2016
ehinja:
My story started in 2011 when I decided to partake in an Individual Savings and Protection Plan (ISPP) by Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd.
[img][/img]I decided to contribute N20, 000 (twenty thousand naira only monthly) and did so for most of 2011 till December of same year bringing the total amount contributed by me to N140, 000 (One hundred and Forty Thousand naira only).
Due to personal reasons I could not continue with my monthly contributions and wanted to withdraw my money saved but was told by the agent I will be duly penalized for not continuing for at least 36 months. As a result I decided to wait till the full tenure of the policy which will be 2016.
Fast forward 5 years later 2016 in April (15th) I was at the mutual benefit office to sign for my money withdrawal and was told to expect a discharge voucher which came via email on the 25th of April 2016.
To my outmost dismay, of the N140, 000 I contributed according to the voucher sent to me I was going to be given back N85, 832.88 after 6 years of waiting to get my own money back!
I immediately called one of their numbers hoping it was an error but was told that is the money due me as the savings plan has an element of insurance to it and that also I did not save consistently for the 6 years the plan was in place hence there are charges accrued which have been duly deducted from my suppose savings!!!.
I have attached copies of what I saved and the discharge voucher I was sent for people to see as I do not think it is fair. I have learnt my lesson the hard way and will like to use this medium to advice others to stay away from Mutual Benefits Individual Savings and Protection Plan (ISPP) as it is not drawn up to provide any benefits to participants.

Good day to you sir. I'm sorry about your case. But pls I'd like to point out a few things. Whilst it is the duty of your agent and insurance company to disclose to you all facts about your policy, it is also your duty as the person contributing hard earned naira to ask technical questions, eg how much is being deducted as penalty, what's the interest rate, how is it arrived at, etc.
Now how this investment linked life insurance policy works is that when you make a monthly payment into your policy, 90% goes into your account as savings and then 10% is charged as a fee for the life insurance element of the policy. This is what takes care of the agreed lump sum your dependants get should you pass away during the period of your policy. People usually don't know this, and may never need to since by paying premium up to 3 yrs, the interest accrued would have well covered the 10% deduction in excess. For the fact that you stopped paying, the 10% was still being deducted every month! I think you were ill advised, cos you could have terminated after the 1st year or 2 and gotten a small penalty charged.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by Enduranceportal: 10:52pm On May 25, 2016
ehinja:
My story started in 2011 when I decided to partake in an Individual Savings and Protection Plan (ISPP) by Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd.
[img][/img]I decided to contribute N20, 000 (twenty thousand naira only monthly) and did so for most of 2011 till December of same year bringing the total amount contributed by me to N140, 000 (One hundred and Forty Thousand naira only).
Due to personal reasons I could not continue with my monthly contributions and wanted to withdraw my money saved but was told by the agent I will be duly penalized for not continuing for at least 36 months. As a result I decided to wait till the full tenure of the policy which will be 2016.
Fast forward 5 years later 2016 in April (15th) I was at the mutual benefit office to sign for my money withdrawal and was told to expect a discharge voucher which came via email on the 25th of April 2016.
To my outmost dismay, of the N140, 000 I contributed according to the voucher sent to me I was going to be given back N85, 832.88 after 6 years of waiting to get my own money back!
I immediately called one of their numbers hoping it was an error but was told that is the money due me as the savings plan has an element of insurance to it and that also I did not save consistently for the 6 years the plan was in place hence there are charges accrued which have been duly deducted from my suppose savings!!!.
I have attached copies of what I saved and the discharge voucher I was sent for people to see as I do not think it is fair. I have learnt my lesson the hard way and will like to use this medium to advice others to stay away from Mutual Benefits Individual Savings and Protection Plan (ISPP) as it is not drawn up to provide any benefits to participants.

U did not fall victim my dear friend.

Questions to ask yourself
1. He entered into a contract with mutual, did u read the policy documents guiding the agreement?

The policy document would state the terms and conditions of the contract.

B4 u accept a counter offer or pay a premium read your policy documents carefully.

I will give u clear understanding on life assurance on my next comment so u can understand the right policy to chose next time. The marketer misled u.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by bishopmart(m): 11:09pm On May 25, 2016
Just one secret, though its ur fault. To get ur money back in full. Write to NAICOM, lay ur complain to them, in less than two months u will get ur moni bck.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by tosinjay(m): 11:23pm On May 25, 2016
etenyong:
Thanks God they give you part of ur money. I invested in Aims Asset Management between 2008 - 2012, but uptill today I can't get even 1% of my money. Different stories every time I go there. I decided not to even bother again
Bro you got me here, my bro used to work with them ooo. He had some clients who invested, dem advice me tire being the youngest in the house, during share they said i should buy share from a bank, i no gree, that's how there was one global meltdown then and share crashed after. My bro begged me for Aims i no do, My elder one who had about 80k there still haven't gotten anything since like 7-8yrs nw. Like say God dash me some brain about these guys from small just 17yrs then.
Clients still calls my bro occasionally for their money now but he stopped working there long ago without any real achievement.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by Donaldomo(m): 11:30pm On May 25, 2016
Thanks be to God I did not fall for them when their Marketer came to my office with sermons of how good they are!

Ope O!
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by InvertedHammer: 11:34pm On May 25, 2016
ehinja:

/
Didn't you read the fineprints aka agreement before signing up?

It is your fault.
\
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by InvertedHammer: 11:35pm On May 25, 2016
\
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by tosinjay(m): 11:38pm On May 25, 2016
tunjijones:

Bros the era of insurance company being scam is long gone. You u have greviance with any insurance coy pm me and I wld tell u wia to take ur case to and the procedure. They wld be too willing to help you. Their staff get promotion for getting an insurance coy that defraud a client. Any insurance company found guilty wld be fine heavyly and thereby generating fund for the government. The insurance coy license might even be withdrawn depending on the weight of the offence
I think i might need to pm you for my brother's case.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by nasiodamus(m): 12:35am On May 26, 2016
lekside071:

I understand your pain my brother. But I having a little understanding of what may have transpired having worked with an insurance company before. Firstly the agent that sold the insurance policy did not tell you the truth from inception and tricked you into a long term policy because this would increase his/her commission. From the name of the policy it has a saving and protection or a life insurance embedded in it. Now if you have contributed 140k, part of it will go on an investment account while the premium of the protection part ( Life insurance) will be deducted annual. Dont assume the whole 140k is an investment because there is a fee you have to pay for your life insurance.God forbid if anything had happened to you an amount would have been paid as benefit. Note that premium paid on life insurance is non refundable because its a service. So what may have happened was that the premium to cover your life was deducted constantly for 6 yrs out of your 140k and if not for the investment that may have accrued your contribution, you will be getting a less or nothing. I am no longer in the insurance industry but I just tried to put the bits together to analyse what MAY HAVE TRANSPIRED....
This is the best explanation you can get,since u had a life insurance plan included which charges were collected from the supposed deposit.you would have gotten back your money with profit if you would have seen it through. guess you never knew the full details of what you were going into.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by Nobody: 1:15am On May 26, 2016
And these fools are inviting me for a job interview
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by coolbreeze44: 1:16am On May 26, 2016
Wow. I started a savings of 10k per month about a year ago, after 7months i had pressing things to do with money so i stopped saving and till today i havent heard from them. Didnt just bother my head to ask for the little i have saved with them because i know they would bring up all manner of terms and conditions that would favour them.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by 19naia(m): 1:33am On May 26, 2016
Next time use the money to buy goats and plant tomatoes. After 6 years of multiplying goats and tomatoes in your compound, you will see profit enough to allay the torment the goats caused over the course of 6 years. grin

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by calabardick(m): 2:13am On May 26, 2016
Chei, I for enter one chance, I have their form with me, I've already filled it and was about to summit on Monday.

Ah! Thank God I didn't

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by diva90: 3:02am On May 26, 2016
They are crooks. If not for how slow and untrustworthy the judicial system is , I would have asked you to sue them. It is their responsibility to have explained all this to you prior to you entrusting your hard earned money into their hands. Shame on them! And this is how they go around duping and stealing from many of their other clients
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by lonelydora: 3:50am On May 26, 2016
Let me even delete that marketer's number from my phone. Naaa Mehn.... I nearly fall for them.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by Schwartz: 6:37am On May 26, 2016
blank:

When you resign, give your RSA pin to your new employer so that they can continue paying in your pension there. It's illegal to open more than 1 pension account in your work lifetime.

You can make voluntary contributions to your pension account but note that you can't withdraw the money until you retire at 60 years or you are sacked in your workplace.
Hello, seems you know about this Pension stuff. I also have a pension issue. While in Nigeria I worked for 10 years and I and the company I worked have been making consistent contributions to my pension fund account. I still receive emails showing my balance with them. Since I left what do I do to get my money back please?
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by blank(f): 6:48am On May 26, 2016
Ali929:

Thanks.

Sorry, I think you can actually withdraw from your voluntary contribution as long as it is not less than 5 years from when you contribute. It's the mandatory one you can't withdraw from.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by Schwartz: 7:00am On May 26, 2016
r!
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by Untainted007: 7:18am On May 26, 2016
C
Ali929:

Wow thats cool of mansard, guess maybe its cos u opted for the individual savings plan but pls do u ve an idea of Leadway Assurance. D company i work with opened a pension acct for all staffs & certain amount are deducted from our salaries monthly. Now d issue is dat i wil be resigning soon from d company. Do u know if its advisable to continue putting money into the pension acct (leadway pensure)?
Bros the issue of Pension in Nigeria needs total reformation. Most of this pension companies does nt worth it. I made same mistake to continue with Premium Pension Company Ltd that was opened for me when I was working as a contract staff with Nestle Plc but now I'm with an oil and gas downstream sector. For this premium company to remit my money after my company pays or even to update you about your savings is their major problem. I'm regretting I ever continued with this dumb pension company. I will advise you go for Stanbic IBTC pension company. There have been positive report about them.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by Untainted007: 7:26am On May 26, 2016
Pls does anyone know about AIICO Insurance savings scheme? A church member who works them have been on my neck to do a 15year plan for my Son, purposely to enhance school fees in the future. She said I can have access to 15% when he's 5years while d rest after maturity. But my mind is not really going for this AIICO but Mansard that I know can keep to their promise. Pls any info about AIICO Insurance?
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by crystalfarmer: 7:52am On May 26, 2016
ehinja:

The annoying aspect for me is the fact that I was getting less than I invested after retaining my money for 6 years!!!

If you are not adding a penny at least give back the initial capital.

Imagine the difference in value of 140K in 2011 compared to 2016.

Can you please forward your policy number and full name to: +234.8028376815 for double checking?

You can as well send it here too
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by coolbode1: 7:57am On May 26, 2016
MY DEAR NAIRALANDERS,PLEASE AND PLEASE DO NOT SEE MUTUAL BENEFITS LIFE ASSURANCE LTD AS A FRAUDULENT COMPANY....I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU HERE:

1. DID YOU READ THE TERMS AND CONDITION ?
2.WERE YOU TOLD THAT CERTAIN (% )OF YOUR PREMIUM PAYABLE IS RETAINED BY THE COMPANY TO PROVIDE LIFE COVER AND CERTAIN (% )IS ALLOCATED TO INVESTMENT A/C FOR THE FIRST THREE YEARS OF THE POLICY?

3.DID YOU KNOW THAT ALL INSURANCE POLICIES HAVE THEIR OWN FEATURES ATTACHED TO THEM?

WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES:

The fault is between you and the agent,the agent should have given you various options of which will be beneficial to you and him/her....

AS AN INSURANCE GRADUATE,I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT INSURANCE IS A SOCIAL DEVICE WHICH PROVIDE COMPENSATION IN THE EVENT OF LOSS. LET ASSUME ANYTHING HAPPENS TO YOU (death to. e precised)DURING THE DURATION OF THE POLICY AND UR PREMIUM IS BEING PAID PROMPTLY,,,,"ALL TOTAL FUTURE UNPAID PREMIUM PLUS ACCOUNT HOLDERS BALANCE BECOMES PAYABLE ON THE DEATH OF THE POLICY HOLDER ANYTIME DURING THE DURATION OF THE POLICY"...

FURTHER SUGGESTIONS:

I would have adviced the person involved to convert from ISPP to either of their policy (MPIP,PIP) which can easily be done from one or two years upward without any problem and the premium will be reduced which all his money would have been paid....

To the best of my knowledge,mutual benefits plays a vital role in terms of creating wealth to an individual...

FROM EXPERIENCE, MUTUAL BENEFITS STILL REMAINS ONE OF MY BEST INSURANCE COMPANY IN TERMS OF PROMPT CLAIM PAYMENT......

PLEASE,ALWAYS READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE SIGNING THE CONTRACT....

I ARISE!!!

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by DEDEAL77(m): 8:02am On May 26, 2016
Mutual benefit assurance should be probed someone should form please inform the CBN of there sharp practices MUTUAL BENEFIT ASSURANCE MANAGEMENT AND STAFF ARE ROGUES BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by blank(f): 8:06am On May 26, 2016
Schwartz:

Hello, seems you know about this Pension stuff. I also have a pension issue. While in Nigeria I worked for 10 years and I and the company I worked have been making consistent contributions to my pension fund account. I still receive emails showing my balance with them. Since I left what do I do to get my money back please?

I am not a specialist. Don't know about your case. Why not write to your PFA requesting to withdraw your pension as you are no longer in the country.
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by obinnaviv: 8:15am On May 26, 2016
I'm sorry for your loss,I am an insurance professional presently,what I can assure you as what happens in all insurance companies by the bad egg marketers we have,at times we as in marketers, mis sell to customers selling a policy which will not benefit the customer but will only benefit the marketers commission .

Even as an insurance person my wife has a policy with the same mutual benefits and has been running her policy for years and has liquidated without fault

What I can suggest is that all customer get full details on any policy taken up,and have a written down explanation by your relationship manager bit by bit and hold it as evidence when what was promised is not being upheld

Really its not the insurance companies faults ,all insurance companies are up and doing as regards services.

Incase your insurance company treats you other wise a simple letter to the regulatory body NAICOM will put that company in serious trouble
Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by tonte23(m): 8:21am On May 26, 2016
Same thing happened to me with mutual Benefits Life assurance when i partook in an Individual Savings and Protection Plan (ISPP) for 5 years. i saved up to 860 thousand naira and on the 3rd year i lost my job and couldnt keep up with my payments. They refused to give me my money till the 5th year elapsed. And Lo, and behold after the whole delay, my discharge voucher came and mutual Benefits assurance swindled 250k out of my hard earned savings with them leaving me with just 600k. i have swore never ever to have any dealings with any other insurance company no matter how good they sound. Mutual Benefits assurance are thieves and crooks in Nigeria. Quote me

1 Like

Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by wacoj(m): 8:41am On May 26, 2016
I thought I was the only one that experienced this scam! I did the same ISPP with them with a five year policy.
I contributed 20k monthly and skipped some months though. After two years I made a partial withdrawal of 200k
in accordance with the policy document.

At the end of the 5th year, I still had about 300k with them only for my agent to give me a discharge form containing 265k.
I was very mad, this simply means that apart from not giving me the interest they promised, they also deducted my savings!
No way... As a chartered accountant, i did all possible calculation but could not come to terms with them.

I sidelined my agent, wrote their office copied everyone possible, asking for full details of their calculations, threatened to go to court!
Threatened everything possible..My people a week later, I got a new Discharge letter containing the 300k COMPLETE.

I signed and they paid to my account one time without the knowledge of my so called agent. I WILL NEVER TRANSACT WITH THEM AGAIN.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Cheated By Mutual Benefits Life Assurance Ltd by BabaCoat: 8:47am On May 26, 2016
Mutual Benefit did the same thing to me and I think it is very unprofessional for such organization. After what they did I swore not to buy any other insurance product except the usual motor vehicle insurance.

Insurance company are always out to scheme you of your money, the regulatory authorities should take note and do something about it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad / MMM Dumps Naira, To Use Bitcoin / Analysis Of Results Of Companies On The Nigerian Stock Exchange

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.