Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,761 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? (1767 Views)

The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? / Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by alimat2(f): 10:38am On Aug 13, 2009
Pls i will like to know if the ONE TRUE GOD of the old testament that NOAH, ABRAHAM, JACOB, ISAIAH, ISSAC,MOSES and other men of God worship is still the same Trinity/Jesus of the new testament

becos the God of the new testament is Trinity/Jesus and the God of the old testament is ONE TRUE GOD CALLED JEHOVAH

Has the God change or its still the same?

Since i was born and now that am old i have never seen the Lord change but now am confused
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by muhsin(m): 12:30pm On Aug 13, 2009
alimat 2:

Since i was born and now that am old i have never seen the Lord change but now am confused

I too will certainly be if He's any other than the God (i.e. Allah), the Eternal, the Exalted, the Creator, the Nourisher, the All Wise, the All Knower.

Waiting for explanation, please. Thanks
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by kolaoloye(m): 4:11pm On Aug 13, 2009
Irrespective of your religion bear it in mind that there is only one God.THE CREATOR
You only call him different names due to your religion, tribe, location, etc.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by alimat2(f): 4:20pm On Aug 13, 2009
Agreed he is the creator,

Is he the same? Jesus or God almighty?

If its jesus pls quote the bible verse where Jesus directly says he is God.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by kolaoloye(m): 4:56pm On Aug 13, 2009
Jesus is the CHRIST, the Savior. He is not the Almighty God.
He is the son Of GOD. Thank you.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by alimat2(f): 5:02pm On Aug 13, 2009
@Kola,

May God bless you for ur responce,

But some xtian like Noetic and the rest tells us many times that JESUS IS GOD.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by kolaoloye(m): 5:25pm On Aug 13, 2009
I was once in your shoes ( an Arabic teacher for that matter), i know that ALLAH and JEHOVA is referring to the same God.
Am about going now maybe we should continue tomorrow.Have a peaceful night rest.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by muhsin(m): 5:34pm On Aug 13, 2009
LOL grin alimat 2,

Don't expect any good response from him; they always tell you different things.

May Allah, the Exalted, guide them to the right path.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by Marlbron: 7:59pm On Aug 14, 2009
alimat 2:

Pls i will like to know if the ONE TRUE GOD of the old testament that NOAH, ABRAHAM, JACOB, ISAIAH, ISSAC,MOSES and other men of God worship is still the same Trinity/Jesus of the new testament

becos the God of the new testament is Trinity/Jesus and the God of the old testament is ONE TRUE GOD CALLED JEHOVAH

After Adam sinned, God Almighty ceased dealing with man directly. All that happened before Christ were man's encounter with angels. These angels are given different names from God, to Jehova to Lord, to el-shadai and during Mohammed days he encountered the angel called Allah.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by alimat2(f): 5:30pm On Aug 15, 2009
Marlbron:

After Adam sinned, God Almighty ceased dealing with man directly. All that happened before Christ were man's encounter with angels. These angels are given different names from God, to Jehova to Lord, to el-shadai and during Mohammed days he encountered the angel called Allah.

Orisirisi will always happen make i laff small grin grin grin

What u saying now is dat b4 christ all those men of God were nt serving God abi?
NB
Allah/God /chineke/olohun/eledumare/obassi/obangidi are all names that God is being called in different languages.So what ever u same on Allah just hav it in mind that u are talking to ur God
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2009
alimat 2:

When will you slaves stop stealing christian songs? grin
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by alimat2(f): 5:58pm On Aug 15, 2009
@Dafid

Is that the only contribution u can make?
grin grin grin

Why are u avoiding the fact? embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by mamagee6(f): 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2009
No.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:34pm On Aug 15, 2009
@ alimat 2

That would depend on what you understand the term God[/b]to be. Its a title that befits both God and His Son. They are both deities.

The word God has been wrongly used to mean one person, because of the expression "one God" or "the Lord thy God is One"

Allow me to explain something. The word God is a collective noun, that exists in the plural form in Hebrew. A similar example would be the word "class" Its one class with several members. When you refer to the class you're referring to all its members.

[b]Elohim
is the original word for the translated word "God" , which is plural. When Moses originally used the word "One" he was addressing the unity, or oneness, or intimacy of the members of the Godhead. Although God is comprised of different members, Father and Son, each having their own identity, and will, they function in perfect unity, each representing the virtues or qualities that befit the title. They are co-equal and co-eternal.

The Son however took on the role of humility and became a man so that He could save the fallen race. His life and ministry on earth were in perfect obedience to His Father's will and instructions, and some, like the Jehovah's Witnesses have mistakenly taught that Jesus was created by the Father. Nothing is more further from the truth however. They are confusing the role of Jesus with who He is, and what He did while on earth.

For those who should enter God's glorious and physical kingdom, it will be evidently clear that the Father and the Son are two distinct beings.

As to the question posed by the poster the answer is yes. Its the same God.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by bawomolo(m): 7:38pm On Aug 15, 2009
kola oloye:

Irrespective of your religion bear it in mind that there is only one God.THE CREATOR
You only call him different names due to your religion, tribe, location, etc.

not to burst your bubble but there are a few religions with more than one creator God.

the things man can imagine.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by dafidixone(m): 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2009

Jesus Christ is "Emmanuel" Meaning "God with us" Is. 7:14, Matt. 1:23

So it is not an error if we call Jesus Christ God.
He said "I and my father is one" - John 10:30

Also, John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God". Now you will understand perfectly the mystery of Christ as God Himself.

Jesus is God no controversy about that.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by petres007(m): 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2009
In response to your post, YES, the God of the old and new testaments IS the same person!

In fact, I'm amazed at how you even thought of this. Anyway sha, shebi na Nairaland? grin grin grin

And em, about Jesus' deity, you guys have fought it for far too long na, He really is God! He did claim to be God! The old testament Prophets who pointed forward to his coming identified him as God! His Apostles not only taught that he was God, they also worshipped him as God! And guess what?? It's actually a part of the gospel - an important part of it, if I may put it that way.

Now I know you'll ask me for references, I say you find them yourself, the way you dig up "contradictions" in the bible. Or better still, check previous threads where other Christians provided scriptural references, which you guys of course rejected.

Cheers!
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by olabowale(m): 2:40am On Aug 27, 2009
@petres 007: could the people be wrong in their claims of his lordship? is there a way to actually proof this with a single verse of the ible going against it? is there a possibility that God is killed? is there a possibility that God is wounded? is there a possibility God bleeds? is therea possibility that God cried? is there a possibility that God weeps? is there a possibility that God begged? is there a possibility God prayed? is there a possibility that God petitioned? is there a possibility God was strung up to die? is there a possibility that God lamented? is there a possibility that was hungry? is there a possibility that God was under the contol of devil?
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by KunleOshob(m): 8:38am On Aug 27, 2009
@petres
I am not sure i get you here, even though i agree with you that Jesus is a deity and he is a God, i differ on the point of him being the God almighty. He revealed to us he is the son of God, the apostles also described him as the son likewise several other biblical pointers. The concept of trinity{three in one God} does not have sound biblical basis and was only introduced by the catholic into christianity in the 6th century AD. Scriptures were actually twisted to try and justify the trinity concept. I think it was brought about by over zealousness of some believers then which as been transmuted to nelievers to this day.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by kolaoloye(m): 10:17am On Aug 27, 2009
@KunleOshob,
Long time i heard from you. How are you doing? Hope all is well grin

@petres,
Meditate on this[b] (JOHN 3:16)[/b]

[size=15pt]For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son.,,,,,,,,[/size]
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:34am On Aug 27, 2009
No they are not, you can use duct tape and bind two of them together though
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by Abuzola(m): 10:58am On Aug 27, 2009
John 3:16 'for God so love the world that he gave his only begotten son' Is jesus not God and son of God concurrently, why will jesus send himself, absurd ! For jesus so love the world that he gave his only begotten jesus to the world' lol funny. Not to talk of refuting Begotten son where many prophets God called them begotten sons.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by muhsin(m): 12:15pm On Aug 27, 2009
The word begotten there doesn't in any way mean an "animal act" of begotten son. Does it? grin
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by kolaoloye(m): 3:58pm On Aug 27, 2009
kola oloye:

I won't repeat myself on this issue again.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by alimat2(f): 4:01pm On Aug 27, 2009
kola oloye:

I won't repeat myself on this issue again.

But it's your xtain fellows that are calling him God,if only u can educate them better on who jesus is
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by KunleOshob(m): 4:45pm On Aug 27, 2009
kola oloye:

@KunleOshob,
Long time i heard from you. How are you doing? Hope all is well grin

I am fine my brother, just been a bit busy and was trying to avoid the distraction of the internet. All is well.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by petres007(m): 7:43pm On Aug 27, 2009
olabowale:

@petres 007: could the people be wrong in their claims of his lordship? is there a way to actually proof this with a single verse of the ible going against it? is there a possibility that God is killed? is there a possibility that God is wounded? is there a possibility God bleeds? is therea possibility that God cried? is there a possibility that God weeps? is there a possibility that God begged? is there a possibility God prayed? is there a possibility that God petitioned? is there a possibility God was strung up to die? is there a possibility that God lamented? is there a possibility that was hungry? is there a possibility that God was under the contol of devil?

Olabowale,

Can you please ask one at a time?
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by sosisi(f): 8:10pm On Aug 27, 2009
The Word Became Flesh

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.

3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understooda it.

6There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.b

10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent,c nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,d who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’” 16From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. 17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only,e,f who is at the Father’s side, has made him known
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by sosisi(f): 8:51pm On Aug 27, 2009
alimat 2:

Excellent question.
Please see whatever you need to know with so many other questions on this site.
Including why Jesus had to die if he was God.
did he really die and ressurect
with quotations from the Bible but in an nutshell let me say this.

Our God is one God and has always been but because he is God,he can do anything and choses to manifest himself in 3 ways.
That is why at creation he says "let us make man in our own image"

Man sinned through Adam and God loved man so much and sought to reconcile himself to man so he came down to earth in the form of 100% man while still retaining his Godly attributes to die for our sins so he could relate to man and the temptations that man faces.
The Bible records that he was tempted yet without sin.

His unusual birth i.e born of a virgin ( a fit never seen before and after it) proves that he was indeed special.
Jesus received worship.
Only God is worthy of worship so he is one with God, indivisible

He claimed no one can get to father except through him,only one who is one with God can make that claim
The Bible says all things were created by Him
that is only possible if he is God.
God the father,God the son ,God the holy Spirit are the 3 ways God chose to reveal himself to his people.
Still the same God.

The relationship between Father and son and the obedience the Bible talks about the son to the father is to teach us orderliness.
God is a God of orderliness.
Jesus in the flesh as man felt hunger,felt sad and felt all emotions man feel
But the Bible makes it clear that he was without sin
No human is without sin
So he cannot just be a prophet.
All prophets were with sin and repented of their sins at various times except him because he didn't need to

He also had the power to forgive sins
Only God can forgive sins

The Bible in revelation calls him the alpha and the Omega i.e the beginning and the end[/b]Only God has that title so he is God.
http://www.christiananswers.net/kids/ednk-jesusgodorman.html

Please click on the link above and if you sincerely have any questions e- mail me on babyosisi@hotmail.com and [b]I'll be glad to tell you more about this saviour without whom there is no hope for eternal life
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by petres007(m): 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2009
@Osisi,
Thanks for your input. You actually beat me to it sha (as in, quoting from John 1) grin

KunleOshob:

@petres
I am not sure i get you here, even though i agree with you that Jesus is a deity and he is a God, i differ on the point of him being the God almighty. He revealed to us he is the son of God, the apostles also described him as the son likewise several other biblical pointers. The concept of trinity{three in one God} does not have sound biblical basis and was only introduced by the catholic into christianity in the 6th century AD. Scriptures were actually twisted to try and justify the trinity concept. I think it was brought about by over zealousness of some believers then which as been transmuted to nelievers to this day.

Sir,

The issue of the "trinity" is one of those "difficult-to-understand" issues in the scriptures, and I do not understand it fully myself. The concept of "trinity" was invented to try and capture it.

But here's one scripture from the OT. I said earlier that the old testament prophets "identified" him as God -

Isaiah 9:6

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his
name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

I also said the apostles did so too. Osisi already quoted from John 1. I have one or two other references that come to mind now:

I and my Father are one. - John 10:30

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you
overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. - Acts 20:28

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the
Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 timothy 3:16

COMPARE these two:

"Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: 'I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God. - Isaiah 44:6

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. - Revelation 22:13

These are the scriptures I can think of now. wink

Its also worthy of note that Jesus did receive worship, even while here on earth! By an apostle:

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God. - John 20:28

He also forgave sins (and even gave the apostles the power to do so at a point) grin!

And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee. - Luke 5:20

And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. - Luke 7:48

And we know that only god can forgive sins not directly committed against him.

I'll like to add that the bible doesn't contain EVERYTHING there is to know about God! Clearly it contains barely what we need for this life, for our salvation. Will talk more if required sha. I have to leave now.

You also said in your post that Jesus is "a Deity" and "a God". That sounds like two "Gods". Please clarify. As the bible clearly teaches that there is only one.

There's a fine article on this issue that I read not too long ago and the brother who wrote really picked his words well in explaining it - the best I've seen so far. WIll try and look for it and send you the link.

Take care sir
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by ttalks(m): 9:31pm On Aug 27, 2009
Adding to what petres_007 has said:

Titus 2:11-15
(11) For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
(12) Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
(13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
(14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
(15) These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

2Peter 1:1
(1) Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

Heb 1:1-14
(1) God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
(2) Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
(3) Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
(4) Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
(5) For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
(6) And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
(7) And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
(cool But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
(9) Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
(10) And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:
(11) They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
(12) And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
(13) But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
(14) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

These are just some passages that indicate the true fact that Christ is God; the part of the triune God referred to as the Son.
Re: Is The God Of The New Testament Different Frm The God Of The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:42am On Aug 28, 2009
The Trinity In The Old Testament

"Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God, and His Spirit, hath sent me" (Isaiah 48:16).

It is significant that Biblical Christianity is the only Trinitarian religion-and therefore the only true religion-in the world. Most religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, etc.) are pantheistic and humanistic, denying the existence of an omnipotent God who created the space/time cosmos. There are two other major religions, however, that are monotheistic, believing in the God of creation and in the creation record in Genesis-Judaism and Islam.

However, these two fail to understand that the Creator must also be the Redeemer, and therefore they also become humanistic, believing that man must achieve salvation by his own efforts. Further, they also fail to acknowledge that God's objective work of redemption must be made subjective in each person by the indwelling personal presence of the omnipresent Creator/Redeemer.

All this is beautifully revealed in the New Testament in the doctrine of the tri-une God-Father, Son, and Holy Spirit- one God in three Persons, incomprehensible to human understanding, perhaps, yet very real (see John 15:26; etc.).

This wonderful revelation of the Godhead was foreshadowed in the very beginning-the Father creating; the Spirit moving; the Son speaking (Genesis 1:1-3). In our text above, again it is the Son (as the living Word of God) prophesying about His coming mission of redemption, saying that "the Lord God, and His Spirit, hath sent me."

Then, when He had finished His work and could return to the Father, He promised the coming of "the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name," and that He would "abide with you for ever" (John 14:26,16). HMM

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Lies Of My Pastor / To RCCG Members, Leadership And Administration - Lagos / Ibadan Express Traffic / The Christian And Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.