Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,365 members, 7,812,046 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi (25076 Views)

Obasanjo Warns Buhari Not To Contest In 2019: "Not Capable Of Ruling Nigeria" / Cabal Ruling Nigeria As Buhari Misses FEC Meeting Again- PDP / Name One Politician You Know Is Capable Of Ruling Nigeria And Give Two Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 09, 2016
Buhari ruling Nigeria with medieval mindset, says Prof Utomi
— 9th May 2016
On the current economic crisis, he said President Muhammadu Buhari was ruling the country as if he was still in the medieval period.

His words: “The problem with Buhari’s administration is his medieval mindset. He excludes rather than includes. So, he does not get the best idea. He is insular. I don’t push him in this conversation but I am sure that if I put my friend, the vice president under pressure, he will admit what I am saying. Because of their medieval mindset, they have created a country that is more divided than they met it. And that is a problem for leadership that is marching towards progress.”

Buhari in Katstina: The President noted “with the way Sahara is advancing, with Boko Haram, growing number of people and uncertainty over rainfall, in a land where we fought civil war leading to the death of about two million, it would be foolhardy for someone to just say he would chase us away”.

…Proffers solutions to Nigeria’s economic crisis

By Job Osazuwa

A professor of political economy and management expert, Professor Patrick Utomi, said Nigerians and the government must be alive to their responsibilities if the country was to witness genuine transformation.

The former presidential candidate and founder of Centre for Value in Leadership (CVL), was guest speaker at a Breakfast Meeting organised by the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Victory Chapel, Province 21, Magodo, Lagos State. The theme of the programme was: “Christian Leadership in Contemporary World”.

He began his message by charging the audience to initiate the kind of change they were clamouring for. He said it was unfortunate that people would stay at the comfort of their rooms only to complain about everything and do nothing about it. He stated that the man with the biggest authority in an organisation might not be the most effective person in moving the organisation towards its goal.

According to the erudite scholar, Nigeria has over the years, been immersed in poor leadership style, saying it was the cause of the crises the country was currently facing.

He also lamented that another major problem with leadership in Africa was the people’s refusal to be exposed to information.

“Readers are leaders. If we don’t read, we won’t anticipate problems or know how to deal with them upfront.”

He recalled how the Boko Haram insurgency could have been prevented when it was at its infant stage years ago.

“To lead, you must be knowledgeable. People don’t follow somebody who doesn’t know where he is going. Otherwise, you fall into a ditch.”

Utomi urged the government to invest in its human resources – their education and overall well-being in order to yield demographic dividends. He expressed the belief that quality leadership would make the seemingly impossible to be possible.

He recalled that he was shocked and couldn’t forget the day former president Goodluck Jonathan said Nigeria’s economy was doing well because it was the fastest growing private jets market in the world. He said it was unfortunate that Nigerians were accumulating wealth by buying obnoxious things. He said the same people had started auctioning such items.

Utomi said he could not fathom the paradox of corruption, religiosity and happiness linked to Nigerians.

“Nigerians were said to be the most religious people in the world. Just about the same time, the transparency index found Nigeria to be the most corrupt people in the world, and another study found Nigerians to be the happiest people in the world. I don’t know how many people can resolve this paradox,” he noted.

Professor Utomi told Daily Sun, shortly after the programme, that he had always remained a teacher.

He said: “For the fact that I am active on the board of several companies; that is taking teaching to the boardroom literally. I am on the board of maybe 30 or more companies around the world. I still teach at the Lagos Business School.

“Yes, I am also a politician. I am a member of the ruling party, as they say in Nigeria. I understand what ruling means – a party in power, I guess. As the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo said few weeks ago, himself, I, and a few others, wrote the roadmap and manifestoes of the party.”

On Christian leadership, Utomi said where the world was at the moment was as a result of Christian leadership. According to him, the Western civilisation was made possible through Christian influence, citing the spread of education as a typical example of the role of the church in promoting leadership. Christianity was responsible for modern education and modern education has been a fulcrum of human advancement and science, he maintained.

On the current economic crisis, he said President Muhammadu Buhari was ruling the country as if he was still in the medieval period.

His words: “The problem with Buhari’s administration is his medieval mindset. He excludes rather than includes. So, he does not get the best idea. He is insular. I don’t push him in this conversation but I am sure that if I put my friend, the vice president under pressure, he will admit what I am saying. Because of their medieval mindset, they have created a country that is more divided than they met it. And that is a problem for leadership that is marching towards progress.”

When asked how long Nigerians might wait for the change they voted for, he said: “Everything is based on context. Take a look at the mismanagement of this fuel thing; the whole idea is nonsensical. It doesn’t have to go on like this; you are punishing Nigerian people unnecessarily. The sufferings that Nigerians have endured in the last couple of weeks over this petrol crisis have reduced productivity. If you throw it open to people across the world to bring petrol to Nigeria and sell at any price, you will discover that within a year, the price of petrol will be lower than the government’s fixed price today.

“You (Buhari) set up a committee called Transition Committee. It suggested that you deregulate the whole thing about crude oil, but no, you won’t. Your ideas go back 30 years and they are irrelevant to this world. Open up your mind and listen to people and you can make progress. To lead is to serve.”

The pastor of the province, Peter Egho, said the breakfast meeting was to tackle the enormous challenges confronting Nigerians, including the church members. He said Nigeria needed someone with a solution to the present economic disorder. “Those who have the right orientation and boldness are needed at these difficult times,” he stated.

Assistant Pastor of the province, Bisi Olowoyo, told Daily Sun that the programme was to empower Christians to live a fulfilled life. He added that God had already made certain things available to His children, but noted that they need to take some practical steps for their manifestation.

http://sunnewsonline.com/buhari-ruling-nigeria-with-medieval-mindset-says-prof-utomi/

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by KINGofTOTO: 11:20pm On May 09, 2016
Issorite

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by TheFreeOne: 11:26pm On May 09, 2016
The problem with Buhari’s administration is his medieval mindset. He excludes rather than includes. So, he does not get the best idea. He is insular. I don’t push him in this conversation but I am sure that if I put my friend, the vice president under pressure, he will admit what I am saying. Because of their medieval mindset, they have created a country that is more divided than they met it. And that is a problem for leadership that is marching towards progress.”

Let the zombies try to dispute these irrefutable facts.

106 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by Jirate(m): 11:29pm On May 09, 2016
Buhari no go Fit Rule Nigeria Well, the Man go Run away just now. cool cool cool

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by oduastates: 11:39pm On May 09, 2016
Utomi talks a good game and he does have good ideas;
at times.
However, on the economy, Buhari has not even done enough yet to undermine that useless neo-liberal non-economy which Utomi preaches.
In fact, I would have a loved a situation where he actually destroys that non economy which has turned Nigeria to every country's bit*h
Nobody should blame regulations.
The reason why we import petroleum products is the same reason why we import textile,orange juice and every other thing.
The government allows it.
That is the dumping of subsidised crap from other countries.
Useless president like the corrupt Jonathan and the unpatriotic quack Iweala encourage it by doing things like handing dollar credit cards to privileged Nigerians and removing tariffs.
You do not have to produce anything.Just go shopping . Go crazy, spend spend spend the money you do not have on champagne, private jets and armani bags.
Iya yin she she Bere ni.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by huntila(m): 11:49pm On May 09, 2016
Leaders are listeners ... historically it has been proven

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by ibedun: 11:55pm On May 09, 2016
AND WHO BE THIS USELESS, CROSSED-EYED, THIEVING ALBINO TALKING?

PAT UTOMI GO AND RETURN THE INVESTOR AND CUSTOMER'S MONEY YOU STOLE AT BANK PHB.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by bros12345: 11:56pm On May 09, 2016
I'm more concerned about the obvious threat to the existence of Nigeria that Buhari is inevitably working to achieve.

"A leader who bluntly declares war on his people just to prove himself to be a strong man will realize that there will be no one else to lead when the war is over" - My quote.

Diplomacy, dialogue and national reconciliation & reintegration are the first best steps for any great leader. May we not wake up one day to hear that our country is no longer in existence.
May the plan of God for Nigeria stand.

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by smarthG(f): 12:05am On May 10, 2016
ibedun:
AND WHO BE THIS USELESS, CROSSED-EYED, THIEVING ALBINO TALKING?

PAT UTOMI GO AND RETURN THE INVESTOR AND CUSTOMER'S MONEY YOU STOLE AT BANK PHB.

Don't be narrow minded. How has this your quote contributd to what is happening today?

Why not face reality

Because of their medieval mindset, they have created a country that is more divided than they met it.

Do you think there is a rigion that will fold hands and watch the hatred that is being cultivated in Nigeria?

You better wake up and face realities.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by ideykwum: 12:16am On May 10, 2016
oduastates:
at times.
However, on the economy, Buhari has not even done enough yet to undermine that useless neo-liberal non-economy which Utomi preaches.
In fact, I would have a loved a situation where he actually destroys that non economy which has turned Nigeria to every country's bit*h
The reason why we import petroleum products is the same reason why we import textile,orange juice and every other thing.
Useless president like the corrupt Jonathan and the unpatriotic quack Iweala encourage it by doing things like handing dollar credit cards to Nigerians and removing tariffs.
You do not have to produce anything.Just go shopping . Go crazy, spend spend spend the money you do not have on champagne, private jets and armani bags.
Iya yin she she Bere ni.

It's Okay to curse On Nairaland, but a simple understanding of economics can set you free!!

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by DIKEnaWAR: 12:18am On May 10, 2016
They will soon descend on him for questioning their Supreme leader and Ayatollah.

Utomi said something instructive: that if pushed, his friend, the Vice President would agree with him that Buhari runs the economy with a medeival mindset.

That's all I need to know. I have always wondered why a beautiful and intelligent mind like Prof Osinbajo will sit in this kind of government and agree with their silly policies that has taken us back many years. Thank God he doesn't. Utomi need not say more; the message is clear.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by TheFreeOne: 12:20am On May 10, 2016
oduastates:
at times.
Useless president like the corrupt Jonathan and the unpatriotic quack Iweala encourage it by doing things like handing dollar credit cards to Nigerians and removing tariffs.
Iya yin she she Bere ni.

A man who partly wrote the roadmap/manifestos of APC gave a succinct description of this govt as an insider and all you can come up with is this wishy washy counter argument

'Wanking' over Gej/NOI everytime won't change the fact that buhari is divisive and incompetent.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by oduastates: 12:24am On May 10, 2016
ideykwum:

It's Okay to curse On Nairaland, but a simple understanding of economics can set you free!!

" A politician thinks of the next election, A statesman thinks of the next generation "
**** James freeman Clarke

I do not do your crap.
I do the liberation economics of Stalin , Singapore, south Korea and Mao that is built Education, research, self reliance, conformance, zero tolerance for crime, heavy industries, mass mobilisation.
Yes people will suffer and some may die so that future generations may live.
The economics of flogging and dragging your people, not to development, but to developed status within a generation.
Show me where it has worked beyond the land of those who packed the rubbish into the head of the people like utomi.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by fiizznation: 12:25am On May 10, 2016
In one sentence he said he wrote APC's manisfesto for them and in another sentence he criticised the APC's "medieval manisfesto". Even a juvenile knows that any new government come with their economic blueprint. Obama did it when he came onboard, David Cameron isn't left out either. The problem with pessimistic personalities like this respected professor is that they believe so much in western Theologue, while forgetting that the Africa economic environs is entirely different.

If I should ask a person like utomi what he think will work best for our developing economy, you will hear him calling America, Germany or UK. These set of people don't understand the African economy to the best of my knowledge. I read a book about macro economics which was written by a person like utomi, gosh I just had to drop the book because the writer just wrote hogwash and was making baseless comparisons. He didn't understood the simple basic economics of African nations. I don't just know why but when it comes to economy matter, I don't take the likes of utomi any serious.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by ideykwum: 12:27am On May 10, 2016
oduastates:

I do not your crap.
I do the liberation economics of Stalin and Mao that is
built Education, research, self reliance, conformance, zero tolerance for crime, heavy industry,
Yes people will suffer and some may die do that future generations may live.
The economics of flogging people not to development, but to developed status within a generation.

You have a medieval mindset!!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by DIKEnaWAR: 12:33am On May 10, 2016
fiizznation:
In one sentence he said he wrote APC's manisfesto for them and in another sentence he criticised the APC's "medieval manisfesto". Even a juvenile knows that any new government come with their economic blueprint. Obama did it when he came onboard, David Cameron isn't left out either. The problem with pessimistic personalities like this respected professor is that they believe so much in western Theologue, while forgetting that the Africa economic environs is entirely different.

If I should ask a person like utomi what he think will work best for our developing economy, you will hear him calling America, Germany or UK. These set of people don't understand the African economy to the best of my knowledge. I read a book about macro economics which was written by a person like utomi, gosh I just had to drop the book because the writer was just writing hogwash and making baseless comparisons. He didn't understood the simple basic economics of African nations. I don't just know why but when it comes to economy matter, I don't take the likes of utomi any serious.

Tinubu himself will tell you that what Buhari is doing is nowhere near APC's manifesto. When he attacked Kachikwu for not following the APC manifesto, don't you know it was directed at Buhari the oil Minister?

Haba mana! You are the one not in tune with your environment and political economy. To take your statement serious; what sort of economy would work here in Nigeria since all others that worked elsewhere has failed? Vodoo economy or medeival(like the one Buhari is running?)?

I think this narrative about the peculiarity of our economy has become a cliche. Let us say something else.

We should look at what worked elsewhere and follow it religiously. Success has only one drug: hardwork. If we keep practising the kind of federalism, economy and 'grazing route', we'll never make any progress. Doing it the Nigerian way had been the bane of our development. Our way defies logic.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by fiizznation: 12:38am On May 10, 2016
ideykwum:

There is no trace of any medievalism in what he wrote up there. Stalin till date has proferr solutions to many economics problem that many people failed to do

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by TheFreeOne: 12:50am On May 10, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
They will soon descend on him for questioning their Supreme leader and Ayatollah.

Utomi said something instructive: that if pushed, his friend, the Vice President would agree with him that Buhari runs the economy with a medeival mindset.

That's all I need to know. I have always wondered why a beautiful and intelligent mind like Prof Osinbajo will sit in this kind of government and agree with their silly policies that has taken us back many years. Thank God he doesn't. Utomi need not say more; the message is clear.

He was selected as a proxy by his master Tinubu to play along in their fraudulent chanji ole.

A professor as vp to a man who doesn't have a secondary school certificate. Crazy things do happen in naija due to selfish politics and greed of the elites.

17 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by oduastates: 12:54am On May 10, 2016
ideykwum:

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners.

Vladimir Lenin

Ghana ran with the economics pat utomi preaches, it all still ends with dependency , debt and crisis.
That hermit nation called north Korea will come out of isolation and still surpass Nigeria within 4 years.
Heck, North Korea has better infrastructure and is more technological advanced than Nigeria.
We are talking about a country that has spent over 60 years under sanctions and isolation.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by fiizznation: 1:03am On May 10, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

Tinubu himself will tell you that what Buhari is doing is nowhere near APC's manifesto. When he attacked Kachikwu for not following the APC manifesto, don't you know it was directed at Buhari the oil Minister?

Haba mana! You are the one not in tune with your environment and political economy. To take your statement serious; what sort of economy would work here in Nigeria since all others that worked elsewhere has failed? Vodoo economy or medeival(like the one Buhari is running?)?

I think this narrative about the peculiarity of our economy has become a cliche. Let us say something else.

We should look at what worked elsewhere and follow it religiously. Success has only one drug: hardwork. If we keep practising the kind of federalism, economy and 'grazing route', we'll never make any progress. Doing it the Nigerian way had been the bane of our development. Our way defies logic.
Tinubu attacked kachikwu,Tinubu attacked buhari indirectly and the other blah blah blah things you said, seriously my friend I don't entertain neither do I engage in that kind of archaically beer parlour gossips or should I call it rumours. We are talking economics here and you indirectly asked me a nice question in your last paragraph. I think for the past 50yrs or so, nigeria has been lazily running an outdated mono economy which has led to cries like marginalization, regionalism, insurgency, militants and a host of others. Now for the first time we have a government that wants to run a macro economy and is kind of serious about it. To me this is a plus because some of the problems bedeviling Nigeria will be solved. You don't need economics pundits to tell you that the step been taken by this present administration will reduce some of our problems, and besides a macro economy in a country like Nigeria is just like practicing regionalism or true-federalism(whatever it means) as some of you call it.

But what I think we should be wary of is the evil monster called corruption that might come and hijacked everything.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by Splinz(m): 1:05am On May 10, 2016
fiizznation:

If I should ask a person like utomi what he think will work best for our developing economy, you will hear him calling America, Germany or UK. These set of people don't understand the African economy to the best of my knowledge. I read a book about macro economics which was written by a person like utomi, gosh I just had to drop the book because the writer just wrote hogwash and was making baseless comparisons. He didn't understood the simple basic economics of African nations. I don't just know why but when it comes to economy matter, I don't take the likes of utomi any serious.
You mean you wrote this long epistle just to talk back at Prof Utomi for exposing the uncommon failed leadership of Buhari? Okay, continue.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by oduastates: 1:13am On May 10, 2016
fiizznation:

Thank you Bro for calling out these "in America" people.

Bill Clinton destroyed Haiti's local rice industry so that Louisiana can sell rice to Haiti. This is the extent countries are ready to go to protect their interest.
It is cut throat business.
Most of what he preaches does not apply to a farmer, riding his 1970 bicycle to the local market ,with his produce in tow .
You will never see a yam farmer go to the market to buy yam. He will only buy another man's yam if it is cheap and he can resell for profit.
This is how any country with any hope of surviving thinks.

http://www.coha.org/haiti-research-file-neoliberalism’s-heavy-hand-on-haiti’s-vulnerable-agricultural-economy-the-american-rice-scandal/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by fiizznation: 1:22am On May 10, 2016
Splinz:

You mean you wrote this long epistle just to talk back at Prof Utomi for exposing the uncommon failed leadership of Buhari? Okay, continue.
Don't get me wrong please. Pat utomi might be a brain box when an issue has something to do with his area of knowledge and all that. But that man knows nothing about complex and complicated basic economy like ours. I heard him talk and I read one or two of his journals. Believe me the man is all big-grammers and catchy phrases, but when he speaks economics, you begin to wonder if he was a juvenile in a grown man's body. Aside from this his flaw I mentioned, I have absolutely nothing against him. He is an erudite

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by ibedun: 1:34am On May 10, 2016
fiizznation:
Don't get me wrong please. Pat utomi might be a brain box when an issue has something to do with his area of knowledge and all that. But that man knows nothing about complex and complicated basic economy like ours. I heard him talk and I read one or two of his journals. Believe me the man is all big-grammers and catchy phrases, but when he speaks economics, you begin to wonder if he was a juvenile in a grown man's body. Aside from this his flaw I mentioned, I have absolutely nothing against him. He is an erudite

You people! Study that albino well, once you filter out his big bamboozling grammar you are left with empty nonsense. I do have a beef though losing 10 years savings with Bank PHB ($40k)

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by MrPresident1: 1:35am On May 10, 2016
Olodo professor.

One of the people who deceived Nigerians to vote for Buhari.

Upon all their professing, Nigeria has not moved an inch forward since 1960.

Utomi, you deceived Nigerians, apologise for your blunder first before you can be taken serious!

20 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by DIKEnaWAR: 1:36am On May 10, 2016
fiizznation:
Tinubu attacked kachikwu,Tinubu attacked buhari indirectly and the other blah blah blah things you said, seriously my friend I don't entertain neither do I engage in that kind of archaically beer parlour gossips or should I call it rumours. We are talking economics here and you indirectly asked me a nice question in your last paragraph. I think for the past 50yrs or so, nigeria has been lazily running an outdated mono economy which has led to cries like marginalization, regionalism, insurgency, militants and a host of others. Now for the first time we have a government that wants to run a macro economy and is kind of serious about it. To me this is a plus because some of the problems bedeviling Nigeria will be solved. You don't need economics pundits to tell you that the step been taken by this present administration will reduce some of our problems, and besides a macro economy in a country like Nigeria is just like practicing regionalism or true-federalism(whatever it means) as some of you call it.

But what I think we should be wary of is the evil monster called corruption that might come and hijacked everything.

True federalism is not regionalism. It is the FG reducing some items in the exclusive legislative list and sticking to the remainder religiously. That is the way to diversify. If every state control what they produce, non-oil producing states would look for their own potentials too or if none, collapse into other viable states and wind up.

We are still a mono economy and shall remain so for a long while. It is not about mouthing platitudes. It is in the doing. Akinwunmi Adesina would have chanelled our attention to Agriculture if he were allowed to spend like 8 or 10 years in the Ministry. Olusegun Aganga was already doing wonders with his automative policy. That is how to diversify brother.

I am closely watching Kayode Fayemi to see what he will do with Mining. Though I am tired of us depending on natural rresources to run our economy. Let us focus on production instead, because we are a consumer nation.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by fiizznation: 2:08am On May 10, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

True federalism is not regionalism. It is the FG reducing some items in the exclusive legislative list and sticking to the remainder religiously. That is the way to diversify. If every state control what they produce, non-oil producing states would look for their own potentials too or if none, collapse into other viable states and wind up.

We are still a mono economy and shall remain so for a long while. It is not about mouthing platitudes. It is in the doing. Akinwunmi Adesina would have chanelled our attention to Agriculture if he were allowed to spend like 8 or 10 years in the Ministry. Olusegun Aganga was already doing wonders with his automative policy. That is how to diversify brother.

I am closely watching Kayode Fayemi to see what he will do with Mining. Though I am tired of us depending on natural rresources to run our economy. Let us focus on production instead, because we are a consumer nation.
To be fair to the previous administration, I will say they tried in their own little way to turn things around in Nigeria especially in the automobile sector. I don't think any of the past governments/regimes can beat that particular feat. Jonathan really tried there. That being said, we won't excuse the monumental corruption that was going on in that administration and I believe that was the major reason they lost the election.There is no way on this planet earth that a strong, viable and reliable economy can be built if corruption exists. Whether mono, micro, macro or whatever kind of economy can never achieved its height when there is gross corruption in the land.

The previous administration wanted to lay their foundations on the blocks of corruption which isn't possible. They did one or two things but at the end corruption overshadowed all their efforts. And I think that was a mistake this present administration is trying to avoid.

Your last paragraph, I totally agree with that. Producing what we need and want is a step in the right direction for our developing economy. That was how China did it and that's what Indonesia is doing. I mean we have the brains, labour, environment, materials etc to produce our own things

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by Kingspin(m): 6:22am On May 10, 2016
Buhari and APC, moving forward while Nigeria moving backward.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by Bitterleafsoup: 6:29am On May 10, 2016
Zombies be like......

18 Likes

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by 989900: 6:31am On May 10, 2016
Talk is cheap Prof.

You were adviser to Shagari and you lead him off the cliff.
Your bank went bankrupt.

It is easier to throw wild cards from the outside when you are not in the driving seat.

We are going thru pains, agreed.

Buhari should listen more, agreed.

Buhari is tackling fundamental causes; not symptoms.

That doesn't make all his decisions perfect, but I have never doubted his sincerity -- I can't say the same for the prof and others like him (everyone is largely working their angle or being plainly sentimental).

When you are not in the driving seat, it is easier to only work with simplistic solutions without considering the fallout and other ramifications.

We shouldn't be importing refined petroleum products in the first place -- how we go about being independent in that regard are things people of the prof's caliber should be proffering.

Implementing the TSA,IPPIS,and BVN with over 3 trillion Naira re-consolidated, and over 40,000 ghost workers collecting billions in salaries exposed, not to mention some head of MDAs drawing over 60 million naira per month exposed, are all those archaic?

Implementing stamp duty charges that has brought almost 1 trillion Naira within just 4 months into the nation's purse, and could bring as much as N4 trillion naira in a year or more, which would be roughly the same amount we get from oil, is that archaic?

Going from roughly 10% to 30% investment in infrastructure is that archaic?

Reducing government re-current expenditure is that archaic?

Dr. Kachikwu and the president have done excellent work generally with the NNPC in the past 9 months, are all those archaic?

What has the non-archaic administrators been doing since 1999, that we have to find ourselves in this sh!thole of importing fuel in the first place?

What happens to pump prices if in 6 months or so from here, oil goes beyond $70 or $80/ barrel? Have you considered the consequences?

I can understand if the Prof. feels he is not being adequately compensated for his work for the party or feels disrespected in a way or so, but that should not translate to throwing his sense of balance and perspective away, or trying to subliminally pitch the VP against the president.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by Bitterleafsoup: 6:41am On May 10, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

Gbam they always forget the past 4 years of achievement in agriculture and mining, transportation, so many sectors. After 1 year every Ministry had to submit a powerpoint presentation online because of information act on milestones and achievement. Its still on slideshare.
Re: Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi by taiosino: 6:46am On May 10, 2016
This one is just pained that he wasn't made a minister

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Benue Killings: Doyin Okupe Says Herdsmen Not Responsible For Attacks / Ranking Ex-Governors Move To Take Over Senate Presidency / Farouk Yahaya: We Have Started Sending Criminals To God – Army Chief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.