Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money (13882 Views)

Officials Force Bet Naija Agents To Clean Their Surrounding In Calabar. Photos / FRSC Officials Safely Deliver Baby Girl On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / 10 Early Symptoms Of HIV Every Person Should Be Aware Of To Get Timely Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by slap1(m): 1:09pm On May 10, 2016
Buhari's officials
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by fizufizy: 1:09pm On May 10, 2016
See the work of una Hero o.
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by debris: 1:11pm On May 10, 2016
cry
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by Mcowubaba: 1:12pm On May 10, 2016
I fear for this Country people..... WE BAD OOOO....
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by selfmade001(f): 1:12pm On May 10, 2016
Its really crazy, you will be surprised to hear them say dere is no drugs or if the patient is on stage 2 above he/she will have to pay for the drugs. Abt 35-40 k collected from these patients, drugs that are meant to be free.
Robbers...awon ole, the rate at which people steal in this country is disheartening.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by delishpot: 1:13pm On May 10, 2016
See the kind money these people steal? Na only God go judge them since my power no reach them.
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by Remii(m): 1:20pm On May 10, 2016
Davbams:
Corruption more popular than Buhari.
did you read and confirm the period under review? Its 2010 to Sept 2015, to help you out.
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 10, 2016
Is there anything they won't steal in Nigeria, I won't be surprise if I hear say them don thife Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by anselm791(m): 1:25pm On May 10, 2016
I wonder what it will cost these Oyibo people to bring down one white man that will be supervising the funds? Or isn't it clear by now that Nigerians are corrupted?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by ibedun: 1:27pm On May 10, 2016
Until we have a value system that question people about the source of their sudden wealth we are stuck in this horrible position. No point having children here and adding to the stock of our God foresaken population of rogues.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by repogirl(f): 1:28pm On May 10, 2016
DExplorer1:
Nigerian officials penchant for looting surely knows no bounds as some officials have been caught red-handed stealing $3.8million aid meant to assist the country in battling the scourge of AIDS, Tuberculosis and malaria.

The stolen money was donated to Nigeria by Global Fund. It was stolen between 2010 and 2014, part of the locust years of the Goodluck Jonathan administration.

Although Nigeria has agreed to refund the money, Global Fund has applied sanctions on the country, announcing it is suspending aid to Nigeria’s AIDS agency.

The Fund said it has evidence that the money was stolen by workers and consultants of Nigeria’s National Agency for the Control of AIDs(NACA),

Spokesman Seth Faison said Friday that Nigeria’s government has promised to repay the money to the Geneva-based agency and to prosecute suspects.

A report by the fund’s inspector general says seven government workers and three consultants stole the money over five years between 2010 and 2014.

The report said the fraud continued because the National Agency for the Control of AIDS did not have proper audits.

The missing money is 95 percent of the amount budgeted to implement, administer and train users of a web-based reporting platform but a fraction of the $1.4 billion the fund has spent in Nigeria.

Summary of the Audit by Global Fund:

An Office of the Inspector General (OIG) audit of Global Fund grants in Nigeria has identified significant problems in procurement, supply chain, financial and program management. The auditors found discrepancies of over US$4 million between drugs ordered and delivered; US$20 million paid to suppliers without confirmation of delivery; stock-outs of eight months for critical medicines; and a total of US$7.65 million in unsupported expenditures. The Global Fund is reviewing corrective measures, particularly with regard to risk management, identified by the OIG as the root cause of many of the issues.

With more than US$1.4 billion invested since 2003, Nigeria represents the Global Fund’s largest portfolio. Programs to date have contributed to 750,000 people living with HIV/AIDS currently on antiretroviral therapy, 310,000 new smear-positive tuberculosis cases detected and treated and 93.4 million insecticide-treated mosquito nets distributed to prevent the spread of malaria.

Regarding procurement, the OIG found that Principal Recipients, the National Agency for the Control of AIDS and the National Malaria Elimination Program do not monitor the deliveries to the central medical store in Lagos of drugs arriving through the Global Fund’s Pooled Procurement Mechanism (a system that allows the Global Fund to bulk order health commodities at favorable prices). This resulted in discrepancies in antiretroviral drugs deliveries of US$3.7 million from 2013 to September 2015 and US$0.5 million in artemisinin-based combination therapy drugs. The OIG also identified payments amounting to US$20 million made to a procurement agent without confirmation of services rendered or goods delivered.

The auditors found major weaknesses in supply chain management including ineffective controls over inventory management and distribution directly affecting service delivery to patients in Nigeria. Stock-outs lasting 8 months of critical medicines such as antiretroviral drugs and artemisinin-based combination therapies were found in 42 health facilities visited by the OIG. In addition, HIV commodities worth US$5.4 million had expired in the last two years.

Although the OIG noted minor improvements since the introduction of a fiduciary agent in May 2015, financial management controls were found to be inadequate and ineffective. For example, the auditors identified a total of US$7.65 million of unsupported expenses linked to human resources, payment approval processes and advances management.

Significant weaknesses exist in the internal controls around data collection and reporting processes. This resulted in more than 10% of errors between the data recorded at the facility level and data reported to the state coordinator and the Global Fund. The issues identified were mainly for the HIV and malaria programs. Good practice, however, was observed on data recorded for the tuberculosis programs.

The OIG concluded that the Global Fund’s risk management framework in Nigeria is ineffective. The organization is unable to identify, mitigate and monitor the risks effectively. This explains many of the problems identified by the OIG audit. For example, although the Secretariat introduced the Pooled Procurement Mechanism to the Nigeria portfolio, limited preventative controls are in place to ensure that drugs procured through the mechanism are actually delivered and then distributed.

The Secretariat is currently reviewing a number of corrective actions including assessing potential recoverable funds, internal control deficiencies and the grant recipients’ ability to deliver key Global Fund objectives in Nigeria.

http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2016/05/breaking-news-nigerian-officials-steal-3-8m-hivaids-money/

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/05/09/global-fund-has-not-suspended-funding-for-nigeria-says-naca-dg/
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by mgbedianya(m): 1:30pm On May 10, 2016
You see them building houses everywhere , Living Extravagantly
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by Ifebazz(m): 1:36pm On May 10, 2016
TedBaker:
$3.8M for helpiNg the sick simply stolen, am tired of this country
I am mostly tire of your usage of the word 'am' instead of 'I am' or 'I'm'. It's almost as annoying as the looted funds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 10, 2016
They failed to mentioned the people they paid the money to.Or are they ghost?
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by ceejay80s(m): 1:39pm On May 10, 2016
Nigeria is a useless country, nigeria will never move forward ,mark my words....

Stealing candy from a baby, we no get shame at all,

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by dvee2: 1:41pm On May 10, 2016
And some waillers are telling us corruption is not our problem. That there mentor is using computer to address corruption issue. Please tell me how computer will catch corruption of Dienzene kind? You call oil partners by phone and tell them to remit federal government fraction into xy hands. how can computer catch that?
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by trailblaiza(m): 1:42pm On May 10, 2016
This is like the saddest news ever. I read in the news last week that the donors said they would be suspending the aid for now. My question is what then happens to those living with HIV or those that have been diagnosed of Malaria or TB?

For the records, these drugs are DAMN expensive! Especially those for HIV and TB.

The irony is that it's most likely that those who looted this money cut across the different tribes. Yet, we will come here and spew hatred for one another while trying to defend these heartless people!

Don't even know what to say again. This is the highest level of inhumanity!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 10, 2016
Nigeria is a geographical territory where everything is steallable.
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by TedBaker(m): 2:19pm On May 10, 2016
Ifebazz:

I am mostly tire of your usage of the word 'am' instead of 'I am' or 'I'm'. It's almost as annoying as the looted funds.
dats my own way f shrthand,as its nt an oficial writin or gazette, u did nt put ur brains to gear b4 engagin ur mouth(hands). Must u say smtin? Wawan banza,
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by guvna(m): 2:20pm On May 10, 2016
TedBaker:
$3.8M for helpiNg the sick simply stolen, am tired of this country

Thank Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (tha dunce).

The Legacy of his Administration was one of mismanagement!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by blazetitov: 2:57pm On May 10, 2016
TedBaker:
dats my own way f shrthand,as its nt an oficial writin or gazette, u did nt put ur brains to gear b4 engagin ur mouth(hands). Must u say smtin? Wawan banza,

Epic!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by planetx: 2:58pm On May 10, 2016
ceejay80s:
Nigeria is a useless country, nigeria will never move forward ,mark my words....

Stealing candy from a baby, we no get shame at all,
Tell that to the dummies that think Nigeria will be great again, like it was ever great.
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by proxillin(m): 3:12pm On May 10, 2016
Jonathan was a curse.

Never again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by Omonigeriarere: 3:20pm On May 10, 2016
back2sender:

Jonathan was the best thing that happened to this country - even sick peoples money donated by foreign donors was stolen.

tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by TedBaker(m): 3:21pm On May 10, 2016
blazetitov:

Epic!! grin grin grin grin grin
lol cheesy
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by Fourwinds: 3:51pm On May 10, 2016
just imagine...very foolish people will come here and shout witch hunting... tell me, a person dat is clean won't be afraid of EFCC visit...whether once or 100 times.. dey wail here all day defending criminals.. anybody can be probe as far I'm concern until u are found innocent
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by shotin(m): 4:58pm On May 10, 2016
But, what kind of country is this now, chai, money meAnt for taking care of people, some people will just sit down and share it .. God is watching you, and the judgment of God will definitely catch u up ASAP....
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by hustla(m): 5:02pm On May 10, 2016
I swear Naija is just cursed
They are trying some people for corruption now, some people dey shout witch hunting

I don tire men!
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by emeths: 5:21pm On May 10, 2016
I smile in latin
Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by kafeii123: 5:31pm On May 10, 2016
KOLZY:
no b today matter na. I haf tayed

person jos wake up in the morning then went ahead to steal money not just any money, but the one for HIV/AIDS paitents.

which kind life be this?

If they had not been exposed, they'd still continue the racketeering till date, irrespective of who's in Aso rock now.

Nor be dis regime dem cash dem, dey tell u say dem repent from tiffing as jona comot 4 dia?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Officials Steal $3.8m HIV/AIDS Money by AfroBlue(m): 5:39pm On May 10, 2016
"It was stolen between 2010 and 2014, part of the locust years of the Goodluck Jonathan administration."

NawaO, that journalist brought it grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Reasons Why Your Exercises Are Not Working For You (photos) / How Do I Increase In Weight? / Threads With Only Links To Blogs Will Be Removed!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.