Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,004 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks - Business (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks (29944 Views)

Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn / Five Banks Lose N312m To Cbn’s Sanctions / Cbn Sacks Ceos And Management Of Five Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by hengabs: 1:26pm On Aug 18, 2009
ehen!!!! very good, at least MADAM IBRU AND HER KIDS WILL REST. her children especially[b][/b] tongue
make we hear word
feel really bad for ERASTUS, its a pity.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by pirobaba(m): 2:59pm On Aug 18, 2009
@AIYEKOOTO1, thanks for your views you are very right. in those days we here people drop contracts bcoz they are christians and refuse to take/give bribe but when hungry mama them they join the spoil. leadership is by example, those on top should set the standard and endorse it. children only do what they see their parent do, we all know the right thing to do but some people are just ignorant or maybe arrogant of it. WHY?
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naso2(m): 4:56pm On Aug 18, 2009
I have been very careful in my assesment of Lamido since he came on board. We as nigerians are prone to celebrate any action that tallies with our general belief, most times without considering issues from all angles.

That the banking system needs cleansing is no news, however a wrong approach would only aggravate the stench in the system instead of cleaning the mess.

In banking generally it is generally known that risk managers and controll personnel have their unique functions which are helpful to business, however they have not been proven to be good businessmen, why because they undermine the place of risk taking as a critical element in business decison making.

While soludo may have made mistakes his supervisory and control functions over the banks which is evident, I am afraid that Sanusi in trying to do a good job is seemingly being carried away by public opinion and personal prejudice such that he has refused to follow due process to implement even a justifiable task.( my opinion anyway)

Secondly I just hope the government funds in these banks will not just go down the drain as a result of the run in these banks. why? because the CBN does not seem to be cautious in its utterances before pressmen all in an attempt to justify its actions. Hence more and more claims that only weeaken public confidence in this institutions are made.

The claims by most of the sacked MDs is that CBN acted on an audit query without getting the reponse of the bank's concerned. I believe that no matter how plausible an exercise is, due process must be followed to plug all procedural holes that can be exploited legally these MDs

1 Like

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by otokx(m): 6:04pm On Aug 18, 2009
When people talk of due process i start to wonder; why did the bank management not consider due process in dashing politicians other peoples money without having real collateral? The 420 billion that CBN pumped in has been exhausted in just one day; now people are talking of 2 trillion. Those bank management should be arrested immediately; all their personal assets and those owned via proxies should be seized pending actual determination of the actual value that was mismanaged.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by naso2(m): 7:19pm On Aug 18, 2009
otokx:

When people talk of due process i start to wonder; why did the bank management not consider due process in dashing politicians other peoples money without having real collateral? The 420 billion that CBN pumped in has been exhausted in just one day; now people are talking of 2 trillion. Those bank management should be arrested immediately; all their personal assets and those owned via proxies should be seized pending actual determination of the actual value that was mismanaged.

I am not holding brief for the banks, but I do not think it is proper for the CBN in trying to punish banks for failing to do due diligence in giving out loans,  should now make the mistake of leaving holes in the argument by being too hasty.

If you take oceanic bank for example  it beats ones  imagination why after just  approving the year end report , the CBN came a few days after to strike. Then something must be wrong , either the CBN approved a false report or the removal of the MD is wrong.

Let them investigate further and prosecute whoever is guilty, but let it be done the proper way.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by rhymz(m): 8:03pm On Aug 18, 2009
Just like I have been arguing since Lamido for reasons best known to him rushed to anounce the sack of these CEOs and further plunge into details of how insolvent thier banks were and almost even declared them bankrupt,obviously,this decision does't look like it was well thought out.Now there are reports that these 5 banks might need up 1trillion due to thier indebtedness both to the CBN and other banks.The question that comes to mind is,what if they discover at the end of the audit exercise that more banks are deeply insolvent?Yes,he was able to decipher the insolvency symptoms from these five banks due to the fact that they accounted for more than 80% of the EDW and the inter-bank market but are these enough guarantees to conclude that the remaining 13 banks won't throw up another shocker?He must have underestimated the extent of the problem to think that anouncing the overhaul of the managements and injecting a mere #400bill into these 5 banks will solve the problem,I guess he now realizes that the problem goes far beyond risk management.For instance,according to report,one of the banks almost immediately exhuasted it's own share of the #420bill,it was reported that the said bank was owing CBN #60bill and other banks #70bill,one just wonders if sanusi and his team did a thorough audit of these banks before rushing out cos obviously they ve been caught unawares.Another question which many of us re not asking is where are these funds coming from?I mean this is a government that is still deadlocked with ASUU over funds talking about saving 5 privately owned banks with #1trillion.Besides,does the national assembly know about this?Is this mystery money coming from Yaradua's or Lamido's pockets?If it's from our reserves then I want to believe it's not a CBN solo project,the merits and demerits of releasing this huge amount will ve to be debated at the national assembly and this might take time,my gues is the banks will have to wait.
I believe Sanusi should ve been a bit patient and do a thorough auditing on all the 23 banks,work out less fatal modalities for solving this problem especially in these areas:formulate laws that make it almost impossible to indulge in bad corporate governance etc,root out the bad eggs in the CBN that ve hitheto given pass marks to these banks even when it was glaringly clear that they were gravely distressed,go after the crooks that have collected huge non-servicing loans from these banks without making any attempts to pay back,evaluate the actual extent of the problem so as to know how much fund to be mobilised to solve the problem and then finally, systematically depose of the management team of the failing banks.This way,his sanitization exercise will be more effective and ppl won't ve any insinuations but with his present mafia style,which makes the situation more about him, there's so much to read into it and they re very strong arguements.God help this country.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by GeorgeD1(m): 11:11pm On Aug 18, 2009
and what about the culprits who collected the loans and refused to pay back?
why are they still walking about freely?
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by rhymz(m): 7:01am On Aug 19, 2009
rhymz:

Just like I have been arguing since Lamido for reasons best known to him rushed to anounce the sack of these CEOs and further plunge into details of how insolvent thier banks were and almost even declared them bankrupt,obviously,this decision does't look like it was well thought out.Now there are reports that these 5 banks might need up 1trillion due to thier indebtedness both to the CBN and other banks.The question that comes to mind is,what if they discover at the end of the audit exercise that more banks are deeply insolvent?Yes,he was able to decipher the insolvency symptoms from these five banks due to the fact that they accounted for more than 80% of the EDW and the inter-bank market but are these enough guarantees to conclude that the remaining 13 banks won't throw up another shocker?He must have underestimated the extent of the problem to think that anouncing the overhaul of the managements and injecting a mere #400bill into these 5 banks will solve the problem,I guess he now realizes that the problem goes far beyond risk management.For instance,according to report,one of the banks almost immediately exhuasted it's own share of the #420bill,it was reported that the said bank was owing CBN #60bill and other banks #70bill,one just wonders if sanusi and his team did a thorough audit of these banks before rushing out cos obviously they ve been caught unawares.Another question which many of us re not asking is where are these funds coming from?I mean this is a government that is still deadlocked with ASUU over funds talking about saving 5 privately owned banks with #1trillion.Besides,does the national assembly know about this?Is this mystery money coming from Yaradua's or Lamido's pockets?If it's from our reserves then I want to believe it's not a CBN solo project,the merits and demerits of releasing this huge amount will ve to be debated at the national assembly and this might take time,my gues is the banks will have to wait.
I believe Sanusi should ve been a bit patient and do a thorough auditing on all the 23 banks,work out less fatal modalities for solving this problem especially in these areas:formulate laws that make it almost impossible to indulge in bad corporate governance etc,root out the bad eggs in the CBN that ve hitheto given pass marks to these banks even when it was glaringly clear that they were gravely distressed,go after the crooks that have collected huge non-servicing loans from these banks without making any attempts to pay back,evaluate the actual extent of the problem so as to know how much fund to be mobilised to solve the problem and then finally, systematically depose of the management team of the failing banks.This way,his sanitization exercise will be more effective and ppl won't ve any insinuations but with his present mafia style,which makes the situation more about him, there's so much to read into it and they re very strong arguements.God help this country.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by rhymz(m): 7:05am On Aug 19, 2009
rhymz:

luks like sb is deleting my comment.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by mrperfect(m): 1:38pm On Aug 19, 2009
Are you sure this action is not politically motivated? we expect more reasons for this action.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by GeorgeD1(m): 4:59pm On Aug 19, 2009
i'm sure we will see the 'main' reason for all this by his next move.
let's not be carried away just yet.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Fhemmmy: 5:03pm On Aug 19, 2009
George_D:

i'm sure we will see the 'main' reason for all this by his next move.
let's not be carried away just yet.

i am waiting and watching too
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by openej: 11:36pm On Aug 19, 2009
I honestly like what Sanusi is currently doing in the banking system but i hope he is not acting the "northern agenda" as published in Vanguard of 23 March 2009.

You may click on the links below to read the Vanguard stories and let us know what you think.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200903230006.html

[url]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/08/15/unanswered-questions-about-bank-mds’-removal/comment-page-3/[/url]
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Jarus(m): 11:52pm On Aug 19, 2009
Coming from Vanguard,I'm not surprised. Is that not the newspaper that organises BANKERS AWARDS to celebrate these banks and their CEOs. The story, to me, is an attempt to defend their awards and prevent it from losing its credibility. Vanguard my foot
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 23, 2009
these banks killed the Nigerian financial sector, they were all doing oil deals and selling scratch cards, they give loans to politicians and oil dealers while killing the real sector(MAnufacturing) by not giving them loans, hence, job scarcity and the few ones that survived moved to Ghana, very bad! it's a pity, undecided
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by GeorgeD1(m): 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2009
The plot grows thicker by the day. The anti-consolidation forces
are certainly having a field day this time.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Sagamite(m): 12:21am On Jan 06, 2010
Where are those that were openning their mouths screaming northern agenda when Sanusi kicked out the bank CEOs?

After the reports we have seen of deep-rooted corruption, I am really keen to see them coming here to open their mouths again.
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by PapaBrowne(m): 1:58am On Jan 06, 2010
Sagamite:

Where are those that were openning their mouths screaming northern agenda when Sanusi kicked out the bank CEOs?

After the reports we have seen of deep-rooted corruption, I am really keen to see them coming here to open their mouths again.

Shut up!

Sanusi's best friend and co-plotter's son has taken his northern agenda beyond our shores and now we are on a terror watch list.

So once more shut up already!! Sanusi and mutallab's son are one of a kind.

Same mentality. Same aspirations. Same desire to pursue  a degree in Islamic studies!!!

Again shut it mehn!!
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by Sagamite(m): 2:13am On Jan 06, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Shut up!

Sanusi's best friend and co-plotter's son has taken his northern agenda beyond our shores and now we are on a terror watch list.

So once more shut up already!! Sanusi and mutallab's son are one of a kind.

Same mentality. Same aspirations. Same desire to pursue  a degree in Islamic studies!!!

Again shut it mehn!!

You are a true ret.ard!
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by PapaBrowne(m): 2:21am On Jan 06, 2010
Sagamite:

You are a true ret.ard!

No boi. Sanusi, Sagamite and Farouk Mutallab are!
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by mamagee3(f): 2:45am On Jan 06, 2010
This Bank issue is getting serious. . . angry
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by mamagee3(f): 2:47am On Jan 06, 2010
PapaBrowne:

No boi. Sanusi, Sagamite and Farouk Mutallab are!

Relax Dude!
It's not worth the cursing
. grin grin
Re: CBN Sacks CEOs And Management Of Five Banks by GeorgeD1(m): 11:57am On Jan 06, 2010
why curse anyway? what good does that do to anyone?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

The Alade Mall To Cost N13b, To Be Completed In 2018 / Starting A Security Company In Nigeria / UBA Card Maintenance Multiple Charges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.