Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,868 members, 7,828,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) (6492 Views)

Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity / *wait Ooo* Have You Seen An Igbo Beggar Before? If Yes, Where? / 3 Female Osun Followers Solicit For Alms, Dressed In White (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Qualer: 12:11pm On May 11, 2016
Rolings:
Begging is the exclusive preserve of the Yoruba and hausas , few ibos that beg do it with style and its uncommon.There are somethings ibos don't just fit in .
If you see an ibo man "mai shai " or ibo man "mai suya" my brother abeg run for your life no matter how hungry you may be

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Totti9(m): 12:17pm On May 11, 2016
Everybody have there own style but na yoruba own funny me pass dey beg intellectually one came to my shop with one macbook am sure that's not working beg me to give him 22k and keep the macbook so that the coming week he'd return my money and get his macbook back but funnies thing he said was that (shebi u Sabi say macbook cost pass that amount) who ask am grin grin grin
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by jaybee3(m): 12:48pm On May 11, 2016
HochZeit:
Thank you all for your comments. I would appreciate it if we can communicate our views on issues without giving it an ethnic hue.

I respect every tribe in this our great country. Each one has its uniqueness. The Yorubas are liberal and accomodating. The Igbos are hardworking and invective. I would rather focus on their strength.

Regarding the issue in discuss, the points to consider are:

1)Would an igbo woman with triplets beg for alms in Igboland before her kits abd kin, considering this is alien to Igbo culture? Forget the Lagos choir singers!

2) Is this woman the true mother of the triplets?

Please objective comments without ethnic jabs are welcome.

cc: modath, jaybee3

I’m pretty sure you must have been told never to look at issues from a narrow view point. Your assertion is worryingly one sided when I could have easily flipped it by asking a rather provoking question on:
1) Are the Igbos reluctant to help their own?
2) Are they only interested in exploitation of resources by way of Oga/Servant business model?
3) Is the unhealthy competition that exist between the Igbo fueling the inability of their vulnerable people to ask for help as at when needed

1 Like

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by bastardfrank: 1:27pm On May 11, 2016
MrAdetunjiBayo:
We yorubas love begging like say tommorow no dey, Hausa-fulani carry first for begging, we yoruba carry second. We follow hausa-fulani everywhere dey go.

Ibo man from Abia, uno dey shame?
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by BULLIONKING: 1:46pm On May 11, 2016
I saw one Igbo beggar in Asaba yesterday; He started praying in Igbo as He noticed say I no give am face;He switched to praying in Yoruba. I was so surprised;this simply means this Igbo man was a beggar in Yoruba land before coming home to continue the business.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Ariani: 7:18pm On May 11, 2016
Igboland is now full of Igbo beggars. Go to any motor park in Igboland and see them in their droves. Able bodied and mildly disfigured ones abound in thousands.

This is the after effect of the Igbos continued association with Nigerians ( Read the north and SW), our people are now importing alien ways of lives of Nigerians into Igboland, and are even about outdoing Nigerians in begging business these days.

Igboland has been hit by an alien "begging culture" epidemic, something has to be done ASAP.
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Teespice(f): 8:14am On May 12, 2016
jaybee3:
The OP definitely didn’t think this through hard enough before opening the thread.

Is it safe to conclude that they had rather engage in criminality rather than beg?

That’s seriously uncool

I’d rather beg than do the crimes that are mostly associated with my Igbo brothers

Why would anyone even think begging is bad. We all need a little help here and there and it’s unfortunate Nigeria State does not have any welfare support whatsoever to the most vulnerable

re: your second to last paragraph.

so you are saying that there are crimes "associated" with igbos abi?

crime is crime irrespective of which tribe commits it. pinning specifics on one person or tribe is so unfair.
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by jaybee3(m): 8:52am On May 12, 2016
Teespice:

re: your second to last paragraph.

so you are saying that there are crimes "associated" with igbos abi?

crime is crime irrespective of which tribe commits it. pinning specifics on one person or tribe is so unfair.

Why did you disregard the adjective?

I said mostly because crime stats on drug smuggling paints a grim picture on my Igbo brothers
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Teespice(f): 9:01am On May 12, 2016
jaybee3:

Why did you disregard the adjective?

I said mostly because crime stats on drug smuggling paints a grim picture on my Igbo brothers

so drug smuggling is the basis for the adjective you used abi.

it is well.
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by ariesbull: 6:39am On Aug 11, 2018
hakeem4:
Igbo people dey beg with rhythm.

You'd see the blind man holding mic
One holding tambourine
One holding drum

They'd now be singing " oh lord come down and manifest your power "

At least they are offering service and giving rhythm
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by ebosed: 8:40am On May 01, 2019
Let me help you. Google "Lagos Govt Dumps 70 Igbo Beggars, Destitutes In Onitsha"

1 Like

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Arrewa: 5:09pm On Apr 22, 2020
They're now gradually taking over the begging industry!!

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Arrewa: 5:11pm On Apr 22, 2020
Igbo beggars are now many especially in Abakiliki!

Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by nsiba: 3:48am On Apr 23, 2020
Ibos beg while singing along, they beg with kids, use people have medical challenges and beg camouflaging as charity.
I have seen buses loaded with beggars of IBO's extraction
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Coldie(m): 4:24am On Apr 25, 2020
R
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by nsiba: 5:30am On Apr 25, 2020
Coldie:

Ibibios beg while walking with dogs. They beg with dogs as there guides

Ibibios roll with dogs while IBOs roll with chickens....ask you father between Ojukwu and Phillip Effiong who was the real General
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Coldie(m): 5:38am On Apr 25, 2020
L
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by nsiba: 5:41am On Apr 25, 2020
Coldie:

Wetin concern me with Biafra? I look like dog for ur eye?

I be dog from AtwaIbom tell me if your papa born u well well which state you 4rm
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Coldie(m): 5:42am On Apr 25, 2020
A
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by nsiba: 5:45am On Apr 25, 2020
Coldie:

Too much houseboy work and dog meat don make u no fit spell the state u from.

What a pity

See coward that can't tell his state
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Coldie(m): 5:46am On Apr 25, 2020
L
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by nsiba: 5:49am On Apr 25, 2020
Coldie:

See ipob f00l dog meat branch talking to me

404 I just chop am did morning if you aren't ashamed of ur father tell me who u r
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Coldie(m): 5:51am On Apr 25, 2020
nsiba:

404 I just chop am did morning if you aren't ashamed of ur father tell me who u r
404ool... Mumu

LoL
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by nsiba: 5:53am On Apr 25, 2020
Coldie:

404ool... Mumu

LoL

Coldie if you aren't ashamed of ur tribe, ur people, ur village, ur father
Tell me which state you are from cause me I am a DOG
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Coldie(m): 5:56am On Apr 25, 2020
N
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by nsiba: 5:59am On Apr 25, 2020
Coldie:

I from d place way dog been dae do house boy work before

Na only dog sabi dog I go sabi that ur state wey shame de catch u to talk
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by Coldie(m): 6:00am On Apr 25, 2020
D
Re: Ever Seen An Igbo Begging For Alms?(photo) by ChideraStephen(f): 12:05am On Apr 27, 2020
No, I've only seen some mad ones when I was in my village. Not begging though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoZmb1RQv10?list=PLxyQq2ysFV1V3fY3c5VioDGCokGF5Ajjn

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba, A People Of Imperial History - In Pictures / So, Most African Americans Are Of Yoruba Descent ? / Ibibios May Be The 4th Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.