Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,750 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? (848 Views)

What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? / Reverend Father And Sisters Drinking Beer (Photos) / What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:36pm On May 11, 2016
What does it mean to honour my father and mother? What responsibility do adult children have in regards to a relationship with their parents?

http://www.gotquestions.org/honor-father-mother.html
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 11, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
What does it mean to honour my father and mother? What responsibility do adult children have in regards to a relationship with their parents?

Finally, I was waiting for your simpler, basics of christianity questions.

What do you do when you have parents who are abusive? Wicked? Harmful? It depends. If they can take care of themselves. But I think there are situations that warrant the cutting off of parents to have peace of mind. Just do it silent, tactfully.

If they are honorable, then they should be honoured.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:41pm On May 12, 2016
Muafrika2:

Finally, I was waiting for your simpler, basics of christianity questions.

Can you give me examples of such questions that I have posted?

Muafrika2:

What do you do when you have parents who are abusive? Wicked? Harmful? It depends. If they can take care of themselves. But I think there are situations that warrant the cutting off of parents to have peace of mind. Just do it silent, tactfully.

If they are honorable, then they should be honoured.

How did Jesus teach us to repay our enemies?
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Can you give me examples of such questions that I have posted?
Just anything that doesn't need an one to be skilled in apologetics to answer.

Am not saying this in bad faith.

How did Jesus teach us to repay our enemies?

Enemies, where to start. .

First, avoiding them is not repaying. Its being wise. God is the avenger.

Hebrews 10:30 |
For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people

But that doesn't mean we should be stupid. A wise man sees evil and avoids it....

Prov 4:14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

If I mistreated you, and you in turn decided to avoid me, that is not vengeance. Vengeance will come for that treatment... through God. There in nothing that is done on this earth without its due reward in this lifetime,

Christ brought a sword upon the earth, the power to war.

Mathew 10:
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Relatives make the worst enemies, if you are they happen to be such, and avoiding them works best.
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:22pm On May 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "What does it mean to honor my father and mother?"

Answer: Honouring your father and mother is being respectful in word and action and having an inward attitude of esteem for their position. The Greek word for honour means "to revere, prize, and value.” Honour is giving respect not only for merit but also for rank. For example, some Americans may disagree with the President’s decisions, but they should still respect his position as leader of their country. Similarly, children of all ages should honour their parents, regardless of whether or not their parents "deserve" honour.

God exhorts us to honour father and mother. He values honouring parents enough to include it in the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:12) and again in the New Testament: "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honour your father and mother which is the first commandment with a promise, so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the earth" (Ephesians 6:1-3). Honouring parents is the only command in Scripture that promises long life as a reward. Those who honour their parents are blessed (Jeremiah 35:18-19). In contrast, those with a “depraved mind” and those who exhibit ungodliness in the last days are characterized by disobedience to parents (Romans 1:30; 2 Timothy 3:2).

Solomon, the wisest man, urged children to respect their parents (Proverbs 1:8; 13:1; 30:17). Although we may no longer be directly under their authority, we cannot outgrow God’s command to honour our parents. Even Jesus, God the Son, submitted Himself to both His earthly parents (Luke 2:51) and His heavenly Father (Matthew 26:39). Following Christ’s example, we should treat our parents the way we would reverentially approach our heavenly Father (Hebrews 12:9; Malachi 1:6).

Obviously, we are commanded to honour our parents, but how? Honour them with both actions and attitudes (Mark 7:6). Honour their unspoken as well as spoken wishes. "A wise son heeds his father's instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke" (Proverbs 13:1). In Matthew 15:3-9, Jesus reminded the Pharisees of the command of God to honour their father and mother. They were obeying the letter of the law, but they had added their own traditions that essentially overruled it. While they honoured their parents in word, their actions proved their real motive. Honour is more than lip service. The word "honour" in this passage is a verb and, as such, demands a right action.

We should seek to honour our parents in much the same way that we strive to bring glory to God—in our thoughts, words, and actions. For a young child, obeying parents goes hand in hand with honouring them. That includes listening, heeding, and submitting to their authority. After children mature, the obedience that they learned as children will serve them well in honouring other authorities such as government, police, and employers.

While we are required to honour parents, that doesn't include imitating ungodly ones (Ezekiel 20:18-19). If a parent ever instructs a child to do something that clearly contradicts God’s commands, that child must obey God rather than his/her parents (Acts 5:29).

Honour begets honour. God will not honour those who will not obey His command to honour their parents. If we desire to please God and be blessed, we should honour our parents. Honouring is not easy, is not always fun, and certainly is not possible in our own strength. But honour is a certain path to our purpose in life—glorifying God. "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord" (Colossians 3:20).
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:18pm On May 18, 2016
Muafrika2:

Just anything that doesn't need an one to be skilled in apologetics to answer.

Am not saying this in bad faith.

Does this (OP) qualify as a basic question? smiley

Muafrika2:

Enemies, where to start. .

First, avoiding them is not repaying. Its being wise. God is the avenger.

Hebrews 10:30 |
For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people

But that doesn't mean we should be stupid. A wise man sees evil and avoids it....

Prov 4:14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

If I mistreated you, and you in turn decided to avoid me, that is not vengeance. Vengeance will come for that treatment... through God. There in nothing that is done on this earth without its due reward in this lifetime,

Christ brought a sword upon the earth, the power to war.

Mathew 10:
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Relatives make the worst enemies, if you are they happen to be such, and avoiding them works best.

"Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:17-18).

Remember the underlined words. wink
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Does this (OP) qualify as a basic question? smiley
Yeah. The basics of salvation. .. love, honor, obedience, patience, etc

"Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:17-18).

Remember the underlined words. wink

First of all, I don't have power to avenge any of my enemies. So whether I should avenge my enemies or not... is a misleading question. That's a God's only kind of discretion... I don't have a say in it. Not really.

...as much as it lies in you....is my favourite part of the above quoted sentence.

What do you think about this in relation to the topic? with emphasis on the portion in bold...

Psalms 15:1 (A Psalm of David.) LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4 In whose eyes a vile person is condemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not...
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:51pm On May 18, 2016
Muafrika2:

Yeah. The basics of salvation. .. love, honor, obedience, patience, etc

There are threads like the one below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1970706/what-did-jesus-mean-when

Muafrika2:

First of all, I don't have power to avenge any of my enemies. So whether I should avenge my enemies or not... is a misleading question. That's a God's only kind of discretion... I don't have a say in it. Not really.

...as much as it lies in you....is my favourite part of the above quoted sentence.

What do you think about this in relation to the topic? with emphasis on the portion in bold...

Psalms 15:1 (A Psalm of David.) LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
4 In whose eyes a vile person is condemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not...

That means a corrupt person is not being flattered or praised as we used to our corrupt politicians and folks but that does not mean that we should not honour and respect them if they are in place of authority over us i.e. our bosses, lecturers, government and also our ungodly parents as long as they are not telling us to do contrary to the Word of God. We only honour those who fear and love the Lord.

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth" (6:1-3).
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

That means a corrupt person is not being flattered or praised as we used to our corrupt politicians and folks but that does not mean that we should not honour and respect them if they are in place of authority over us i.e. our bosses, lecturers, government and also our ungodly parents as long as they are not telling us to do contrary to the Word of God. We only honour those who fear and love the Lord.

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth" (6:1-3).

You're right. The athority is also spiritual. But I think that if those people in authority are behaving in a way that makes your life unbearable, you can honour them from far. (respect is a whole other topic.) Keeping a distance will also help you not to take offence, which makes a hostile situation even worse and harder to recover from.

I also think that the honour and respect is not really for their person but their position. Because there are people who use that authority to oppress. It's like having an evil step mother we who keeps attempting to poison you. She's a person with authority over you too. But if you get a way to live away from her, it will make your life better.

One thing about the devil is that he does not stop trying and he has no shame. Just because you know his antics does not mean he will stop. At times you need to leave his playing field. Even Jesus fled from persecution at times.
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:43pm On May 18, 2016
Muafrika2:

You're right. The athority is also spiritual. But I think that if those people in authority are behaving in a way that makes your life unbearable, you can honour them from far. (respect is a whole other topic.) Keeping a distance will also help you not to take offence, which makes a hostile situation even worse and harder to recover from.

I also think that the honour and respect is not really for their person but their position. Because there are people who use that authority to oppress. It's like having an evil step mother we who keeps attempting to poison you. She's a person with authority over you too. But if you get a way to live away from her, it will make your life better.

One thing about the devil is that he does not stop trying and he has no shame. Just because you know his antics does not mean he will stop. At times you need to leave his playing field. Even Jesus fled from persecution at times.

That's very true.

"A prudent man foreseeth the evil and hideth himself, but the simple pass by and are punished" (Proverbs 22:3;27:12).

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by jom28gy(m): 5:59pm On May 18, 2016
please that question needs to be expanded more for the benefit of people.
Re: What Does It Mean To Honour My Father And Mother? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:50am On May 23, 2016
jom28gy:

please that question needs to be expanded more for the benefit of people.

Have you read the suggested answer posted above?

(1) (Reply)

6 Different Types Of Prayer / Why Most Nigerians Don't Believe In Miracles - Dr. Chris Okafor / Truth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.