Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? (7964 Views)

Apostle Chinyere Builds 18 Free Estates For The Poor In Rivers State (Photos) / What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha / What Does It Mean To Believe On The Lord Jesus Christ? - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Justnice11: 7:43am On Dec 10, 2017
Q:
What does it mean to be poor in spirit, as Jesus said we ought to be? I don't understand this, because it seems to me that we ought to strive to be rich in spirit, not poor. Or am I missing the point?
A:

Your confusion is understandable; after all, the Bible does warn us against being empty and impoverished in our souls, and urges us to seek spiritual riches instead. Jesus said, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21).

But Jesus also said that there is another kind of spiritual poverty—one we should seek. He said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3). What did He mean? Simply this: We must be humble in our spirits. If you put the word “humble” in place of the word “poor,” you will understand what He meant.

In other words, when we come to God, we must realize our own sin and our spiritual emptiness and poverty. We must not be self-satisfied or proud in our hearts, thinking we don’t really need God. If we are, God cannot bless us. The Bible says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6).

Pride can take all kinds of forms, but the worst is spiritual pride. Often the richer we are in things, the poorer we are in our hearts. Have you faced your own need of Christ? Do you realize that you are a sinner and need God’s forgiveness? Don’t let pride or anything else get in the way, but turn to Christ in humility and faith—and He will bless you and save you.

Source: https://billygraham.org/answer/what-does-it-mean-to-be-poor-in-spirit-as-jesus-said-we-ought-to-be/

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Justnice11: 7:43am On Dec 10, 2017
OAM4J, lalasticlala
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by amnesty7: 7:45am On Dec 10, 2017
When you live expensively, even competing in flying and ownig private jets, at the expense of the poor and gullible followers.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Heywhizzy(m): 9:15am On Dec 10, 2017
To not have money to buy origin/alomo
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by NwaAmaikpe: 9:16am On Dec 10, 2017
shocked

It means that even in the spirit world, you are also poor..
The poverty is ingrained.

Heaven and earth can't help such a person. Their poverty is beyond redemption.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Gkay1(m): 9:17am On Dec 10, 2017
is all about humble, have peace of mind, etc

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Itzurboi(m): 9:18am On Dec 10, 2017
Oga boss
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 10, 2017
meekness and weak
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by firstolalekan(m): 9:18am On Dec 10, 2017
You are poor in spirit whenever you're not paying your tithe in the church.

Even if you're giving your tithe to the needy, as long as you're not paying it directly into your pastor's account YOU ARE POOR IN SPIRIT!
undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Nebes: 9:19am On Dec 10, 2017
It's not only about sin and forgiveness. It's also about reaching out for God in total dependence. Knowing that without Him you are and can do nothing.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by dontbothermuch: 9:20am On Dec 10, 2017
Means you love your country more than the kingdom of God.

Meanwhile something to make you smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2sS2J31sdA shocked

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 10, 2017
R
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 10, 2017
Itzurboi:
Oga boss
u catch am grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Lagbaja01(m): 9:21am On Dec 10, 2017
Good bless you for sharing this.
Justnice11:
Q:
What does it mean to be poor in spirit, as Jesus said we ought to be? I don't understand this, because it seems to me that we ought to strive to be rich in spirit, not poor. Or am I missing the point?
A:

Your confusion is understandable; after all, the Bible does warn us against being empty and impoverished in our souls, and urges us to seek spiritual riches instead. Jesus said, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21).

But Jesus also said that there is another kind of spiritual poverty—one we should seek. He said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5:3). What did He mean? Simply this: We must be humble in our spirits. If you put the word “humble” in place of the word “poor,” you will understand what He meant.

In other words, when we come to God, we must realize our own sin and our spiritual emptiness and poverty. We must not be self-satisfied or proud in our hearts, thinking we don’t really need God. If we are, God cannot bless us. The Bible says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6).

Pride can take all kinds of forms, but the worst is spiritual pride. Often the richer we are in things, the poorer we are in our hearts. Have you faced your own need of Christ? Do you realize that you are a sinner and need God’s forgiveness? Don’t let pride or anything else get in the way, but turn to Christ in humility and faith—and He will bless you and save you.

Source: https://billygraham.org/answer/what-does-it-mean-to-be-poor-in-spirit-as-jesus-said-we-ought-to-be/

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 10, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It means that even in the spirit world, you are also poor..
The poverty is ingrained.

Heaven and earth can't help such a person. Their poverty is beyond redemption.
kuku kee me grin

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by phatasschick(f): 9:22am On Dec 10, 2017
Just want to book space grin tongue
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Itzurboi(m): 9:22am On Dec 10, 2017
Lol, nah me be hin monitoring spirit...
smithsydny:
u catch am grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Musketeers: 9:22am On Dec 10, 2017
It means coming to God empty and hungry for him to fill and feed you with his word.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by correctguy101(m): 9:23am On Dec 10, 2017

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Muzanga(f): 9:23am On Dec 10, 2017
Poor and humble mean the same thing now? Well, lets take it that you interpreted by the help of the holy spirit.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by magiki(m): 9:23am On Dec 10, 2017
Thank you for this explanation. I have been reading it but couldn't understand.

I thank God for N. L
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 10, 2017
Parking a bentley outside your mansion in your dreams and woke up in a one room to find a bicycle parked outside grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 10, 2017
Itzurboi:
Lol, nah me be hin monitoring spirit...
Bumper to bumper grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Martin0(m): 9:28am On Dec 10, 2017
gypsey:
Parking a bentley outside your mansion in your dreams and woke up in a one room to find a bicycle parked outside grin grin

I disagreegringrin
Parked a bicycle beside ur one room apartment and u wokeup seeing your bentley parked just inside ur compound(mansion)gringringrin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by correctguy101(m): 9:29am On Dec 10, 2017
All these word play in all these so-called spiritual books dey tire me jor...

Anything can mean anything in the books and that's why you see many differing opinions and churches with different doctrines all originating from the one same book...

It's a two edged sword ( double tongued) book jor....
How can anyone trust such a double tongued book to be the word of God? Well, it goes to show why it's adherents are mostly double tongued snitching agents. (my opinion since when one use lie slap me dirty)

Me that does not believe the stories can't lie the can lie the believers dey lie.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by Martin0(m): 9:30am On Dec 10, 2017
phatasschick:
Just want to book space grin tongue
So na to book space u come for abigringrin Ok ooo
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by skydancer: 9:31am On Dec 10, 2017
This was a puzzle for me in the beginning until I realized it meant humility. Basically being poor in spirit means choosing to not be proud or self-righteous, but rather displaying a deeply repentant heart and deeply reveres and worships God as the only Holy of Holies and source of all things.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by money121(m): 9:31am On Dec 10, 2017
Ok
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? by valentinoeggz: 9:32am On Dec 10, 2017
DOWNLOAD MIXTAPE: December Party mix

DOWNLOAD >>> https://www.datafilehost.com/d/a5833344

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Chris : How To.know Who To Marry / Rccg Sunday School, 23 April 2017 / At Last! – Tb Joshua Speaks On Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.