Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,703 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? (15322 Views)

Ussd Codes For Nigerian Banks / How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online / Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Caracta(f): 7:03am On May 13, 2016
Is there a Nigerian bank that does not issue credit cards?

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by SaiBuharii: 7:04am On May 13, 2016
Virtually all banks do.

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Nobody: 7:05am On May 13, 2016
Caracta:
None that I know of.

Foreign banks literarily beg people to come get their credit cards.

I'm not talking about prepaid debit cards o!
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by RichYoungNigga: 7:06am On May 13, 2016
iomoge2:
Stanbic IBTC AND Diamond Bank issues credit cards na.

Do you know what a credit card is ??

I doubt
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by fulfillment2020(m): 7:06am On May 13, 2016
Most people saying Nigerian banks issue credit cards don't know the difference between credit and debit cards.
What our banks issues are debit cards.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by RichYoungNigga: 7:07am On May 13, 2016
Caracta:

Please, stop showing your ignorance.

Big girl for mouth.

What Nigerian banks issue is ATM card.

Wow, big girl
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Nobody: 7:08am On May 13, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Do you know what a credit card is ??
I doubt
A lot of people confuse credit cards with the ATM debit cards.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Caracta(f): 7:09am On May 13, 2016
StillBrandnew:

None that I know of.

Foreign banks literarily beg people to come get their credit cards.

I'm not talking about prepaid debit cards o!

They do (most likely 90% of them).

I have one.

Foreign banks have embraced cashless policy and sophisticated tech to monitor and track their customers. Nigeria is not there yet. They won't even pay up their loans. But we surely have credit cards in Nigeria.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by hresso: 7:11am On May 13, 2016
Thought they are already doing that.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Caracta(f): 7:11am On May 13, 2016
StillBrandnew:

I sure know the difference. The availability of credit card is very very low compared to debit card...but banks issue them.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by wayodude(m): 7:12am On May 13, 2016
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I only read the title of this thread but

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

You try...

Okay serious now. Is there an operational credit checking system in Nigeria that enables potential lenders determine an applicants risk profile such as experian?
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by RichYoungNigga: 7:13am On May 13, 2016
StillBrandnew:

ATM card is not debit cards.
Atm card is a card issued by your bank and you can be able to use the money you have in your bank account.

Debit card is a card you buy in the store or order it online (example is Bluebird debit card, Accountnow, Brinks prepaid card) and the only way you can put money in them is to go to Walmart, Kmart, Dollar tree or Dollar family, hand them over the money you want to add to it

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by carpenter(m): 7:14am On May 13, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Big girl for mouth.

Wow, big girl

What Nigerian banks issue are credit, debit and prepaid and probably a host of others. Any card that can be used at an ATM, is an ATM card...gosh!

4 Likes

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by fulfillment2020(m): 7:15am On May 13, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Big girl for mouth.
Wow, big girl
It's not called ATM card, its called Debit card.
Wow, Big boy.

4 Likes

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by carpenter(m): 7:16am On May 13, 2016
fulfillment2020:
It's not called ATM card, its called Debit card.

Wow, Big boy.

You can imagine....lol

Ignorance is bliss

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Caracta(f): 7:16am On May 13, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

ATM card? Ain't they all ATM cards since they are used on ATMs? Educate me bro. Do we have cards separately for ATMs and another for POS and other alternative channels?

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by carpenter(m): 7:17am On May 13, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Atm card is a card issued by your bank and you can be able to use the money you have in your bank account.

Debit card is a card you buy in the store or order it online (example is Bluebird debit card, Accountnow, Brinks prepaid card) and the only way you can put money in them is to go to Walmart, Kmart, Dollar tree or Dollar family, hand them over the money you want to add to it

An ATM card is any payment card issued by a financial institution that enables a customer to access an automated teller machine (ATM) in order to perform transactions such as deposits, cash withdrawals, obtaining account information, etc.

source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATM_card

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by chigutz(m): 7:18am On May 13, 2016
Banks have started issuing Credit Card buh based on request. I know for sure dat Fidelity Bank issues credit card
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Marley01(m): 7:18am On May 13, 2016
StillBrandnew:

Yeah! It's more like banks give you access to spend a certain amount over a period of time to pay back in future with interests. grin

I hope the requirements are not too stringent.

Thanks a lot. I'll check out those links and see.
Some people I know on NL will still try to evade the banks after huge credits have been received

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by tmcleo2k2(m): 7:18am On May 13, 2016
seen

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by wayodude(m): 7:19am On May 13, 2016
Caracta:

ATM card? Ain't they all ATM cards since they are used on ATMs? Educate me bro. Do we have cards separately for ATMs and another for POS and other alternative channels?

All debit cards are ATM cards but not all ATM cards are debit cards.

3 Likes

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by rodbel(m): 7:20am On May 13, 2016
StillBrandnew:

The efforts of the last CBN governor in his bid to make the Nigerian economy cash-less is credible.

So far, we have seen positive results with more businesses adopting the P.O.S electronic payments system.

There were hiccups initially with bad networks and lack of electricity to keep them charged but somehow they meandered through it all and more people are now opened to swiping their cards in restaurants and supermarkets.

I for one don't usually carry cash. I usually make my withdrawals and shop for my immediate needs for at least a couple of days. Then I'm left with a little money which is somehow sensible and safe in the sense that I stand to loose a lot less just in case of a robbery or mere carelessness.

Such instances have happened to me in the past and In some cases I was a bit lucky while sometimes I lost a lot.

The crux of the matter now and the reason for this write up is the issue of access to credit.
I for one love credit, not just because I could get something I couldn't afford at any point in time but for the convenience attached to it.

Nigerian mobile networks have been able to adopt this credit facility as a strategy to sell even more with MTN's extra credit and other products by Aitel, Etisalat and Glo.

I think it's about time Nigerian banks start issuing Credit cards to their loyal customers and not just salary accounts as being practised by some banks.

With the new BVN policy which is being put into effect by the CBN, I believe a more accessible credit line being offered by Nigerian banks would expand the economy. This is speaking from a layman's point of view.

There should also be credit assessments and credit scores awarded to customers who transact more with such cards. I am not an economist but common sense only tells me that would be a better way to put the several billions of dollars lying fallow in a few people's accounts.

Great economies around the world are build by ordinary people with small businesses and the Nigerian economy cannot be build on a few people's business empires I.e Dangote and the likes.

Please let the appropriate authorities know so at least the economic hardship the common man is feeling can be eased up a little bit.

Easy access to credit is convenient, easy access to credit means growth.

Just thinking out loud.

Visit a FirstBank branch and ask for a Naira Credit Card. You must have an account with them thou.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Reference(m): 7:20am On May 13, 2016
Without a credit history checking system, no way, and that depends on the establishment of a national financial data base which is not there. However the BVN can be an important start.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by BJ0SE(m): 7:24am On May 13, 2016
Story for the God's.
Icecomrade:

Skye Bank issue credit cards. Both Naira and USD

Most Nigerians are not credit worthy and recovery is usually a huge issue.
Light stringent measures are in place to curb defaults.

Go! Enjoy the Skye Bank credit card
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by GROOOVE(m): 7:24am On May 13, 2016
for where? This 'fascinatingly corrupted' country even mtn and co are regretting bringing up the borrow airtime idea

1 Like

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Nobody: 7:25am On May 13, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Yes I get you.

You ATM card is still a debit card in the sense that the money is already there in your account. That's what makes the difference when compared to a credit card.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by Eneze1(f): 7:28am On May 13, 2016
Nigeria banks do issue credit card. I have one from First bank
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by unongu(m): 7:30am On May 13, 2016
I have been enjoying FCMB Credit card services for two years now and still counting... The credit cards are there for the taking, you just have to be worthy of it.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by RichYoungNigga: 7:33am On May 13, 2016
This is an Atm card.
It is issued by your bank.
You can't buy it in the store.

You can't add money on it

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by ogbo17: 7:35am On May 13, 2016
Skye Bank is issuing credit card for Naira and USD account.
Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by RichYoungNigga: 7:36am On May 13, 2016
This is a debit card.
You only buy it in the store or order it online.
It is not issued by the bank.

You can only add money to it by going to Walmart or Dollar Family and giving them the money you want them to put in it.

Smh

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigerian Banks Ever Start Issuing Credit Cards? by AbiodunHaruna: 7:36am On May 13, 2016
They have been issuing credit card since last year to loyal customers. I have a functioning credit card from Diamond bank. I think the writer of this article should have gotten his or her facts right before publishing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can I Start Cold Room (frozen Fish) Biz In Nigeria / Why You Should Maintain Loyalty With One Bank / How Can Someone Survive With 300k In This Economy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.