Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. (28953 Views)

Woman Finds Salamander In Her Pot Of Soup (Photos) / Slay Queen Caught Bush Meat, Prepares Delicious Pepper Soup (photos) / Do You Want Your Baby Naturally Chubby And Healthy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 5:25pm On May 12, 2016
Hi all, I know these past few months have been hell on earth. I noticed that most of our recipes in the Southern and Western part of Nigeria requires soup as a compliment. I will be giving out few tips to save money and create long lasting and tasty soups. smiley

1) Dried red bell pepper: Dried tatashe/ can perform wonders when you want a soup that you can keep adding water. It primary function is to thicken the soup. You can make a difference to your pot of soup or stew with a few dried pepper. Simply soak in hot water for 30 mins to 1 hr till it softens and add it to the rest of the ingredients, blend together, use as usual. I don’t have a recipe at hand however it would go like this:
-a couple of tomato puree sachets like 2 or 3 sachets
-10 dried red bell pepper
-2 onions
-Dried Chili Pepper
-other spices like garlic
-oil

Prepare your stew as usualsmiley

Soya cheese: it is a great substitute for expensive proteins. The downside is the energy and time it requires to peel, boil, cook and/or fry to finally get those meat-like substitutes.

http://www.9jafoodie.com/wara-tofu/

-Instead of lime juice, you can get fermented/sour water from people who make ogi/pap/cornmeal. You can get it for free or buy from them cheaply. You need the same quantity as the soya milk to curdle. Just add it to the milk while it is boiling and wait for it to curdle.

Dried Chili Pepper or Sonbo: it is funny how most people often continue to use scotch bonnet pepper (Pepper) over dried chili pepper during hard times. If you want to make small and cheaper sauce for rice, yam, beans. Simply soak your dried chili pepper in hot water till it softens or soak overnight, add enough onions, ginger, garlic and other spices to douse the spiciness, fry as usual. If you do not really like hot sauce, please omit the ginger. You can use these combo to eat your rice, beans and yam.

Egg stew: the good thing about egg stew is that you do not need lots of eggs to create a substitute for Fried eggs. You still have the protein and pepper. You can use any pepper mix to create a perfect egg stew.

-Blend your pepper with onion, fry, you do not want a thick consistency if you are trying to make more.

-Season well

-Add your beaten eggs

-Continue to mix until it has solidifes

Lafun, cornmeal(tuwo) and wheat: these are morsel foods that you can substitute for Amala/eat/Semo/poundo yam and occasionally garri. Did I hear poor man's foods? I beg to disagree. Food is food. If it tastes great and is filling, then you don't have to justify it. The cheaper process that takes to make them does not mean they are inferior to other foods of the same category.

Beans soup(Gbegiri): it is a perfect and healthy substitute for soups that accompany morsels. Peel your beans, boil with onions till it softens, mash it and sieve (if you have a blender, just blend the beans with the rest of the ingredients or you could blend the beans and add it to the Pepper mix).

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/gbegiri-soup.html

Okro/ogbono soup: this is the time to learn to make okro soup. You do not need tomato or Pepper mix to make a great soup. You can make a tasty okro soup with dried pepper and palm oil.

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/okra-okro-soup.html

Banga soup (palm fruit): This soup is commonly prepared in SS and SE parts of Nigeria. Palm fruit extracts make up up the bulk of the soup. It is a great alternative to proper egusi soup or vegetable soups.

http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/banga-soup.html`

Melon soup: this type of melon soup is different. I believe it originates from Ijebu. It is not like the popular version of melon soup. The amazing thing about this soup is that you can eat it with rice and your morsels. You blend your dried melon with onions, scotch bonnet pepper or dried chili pepper, adding red bell pepper or dried red bell pepper is optional. Usually it contains more water, so you can add more water until you achieve the consistency you desire.

http://dooneyskitchen.com/egusi-ijebu-authentic-version/

Cc:

tjskii, MissyB3, Mynd44, lalasticlala.

29 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by loomer: 5:32pm On May 12, 2016
You dey give me recipe, I tell u say I sabi cook?

Come cook am ooo make I chop

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Alocia(f): 5:43pm On May 12, 2016
Nice one Op.

I've tried the egg stew before when I was in school. It's so delicious.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Monalisa185(f): 5:46pm On May 12, 2016
*BANGA SOUP!!* I can sell you for a well cooked banga soup...op, no try me ogrin

Nice one though

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by arabadayor17(m): 5:47pm On May 12, 2016
Where's Mediapace? Come see better and cheap recipe o grin

Mehn that gbegiri soup no be here o. If you won enjoy am take am chop correct amala. Chai! grin

5 Likes

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by arabadayor17(m): 5:48pm On May 12, 2016
Monalisa185:
*BANGA SOUP!!* I can sell you for a well cooked banga soup...op, no try me ogrin

Nice one though

I can sell you for gbegiri soup with amala grin

7 Likes

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by MzLaurel(f): 5:52pm On May 12, 2016
I'll prepare egg stew tonight. I pray it tastes nice.. If not! OP, I'll come for your head. undecided tongue

Nice job @Op.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by HonPatrick(m): 5:55pm On May 12, 2016
arabadayor17:
Where's Mediapace? Come see better and cheap recipe o grin

Mehn that gbegiri soup no be here o. If you won enjoy am take am chop correct amala. Chai! grin

Bros see as you dey shine teeth ontop food matter.
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by HonPatrick(m): 5:59pm On May 12, 2016
You really need to taste the soya cheese. It's called wara beske in my area. The taste is ulala cheesy
It's a better substitute for meat. The thing dey swell pass kpomo and it's nutritious.

lalasticlala.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 6:07pm On May 12, 2016
MzLaurel:
I'll prepare egg stew tonight. I pray it tastes nice.. If not! OP, I'll come for your head. undecided tongue

Nice job @Op.

Abeg, I go chop....
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lanicky(f): 6:24pm On May 12, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Abeg, I go chop....

Me too tongue
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 6:28pm On May 12, 2016
lanicky:

Me too tongue
Y you wan pour sand for my garri na.....
Chai.... you wan make food small?

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Johneyhaz: 6:51pm On May 12, 2016
Lalasticlala front page,people really need to learn tips on cooking in a very cheap way

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 12, 2016
All this talk about food is making my stomach growl, nice one op

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by joseph1832(m): 7:30pm On May 12, 2016
I believe the proper approach should be how much does these food items cost in the market, and how much does it take for one to prepare a good pot of soup.

2 Likes

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by joseph1832(m): 7:32pm On May 12, 2016
Monalisa185:

Nice one though
How much does a pot of Banga soup with Starch or Eba, or Fufu or Amala etc cost? Don't just salivate it the thought of eating it...
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by joseph1832(m): 7:34pm On May 12, 2016
skarlett:
All this talk about food is making my stomach growl, nice one op
Nice one? Yea they sound nice but still, according to the harsh economy, how much does it cost to prepare the food as highlighted by the OP.

Giving recipes and how to cook them isn't just enough, she should have listed the price(s) of these things...
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 12, 2016
joseph1832:
Nice one? Yea they sound nice but still, according to the harsh economy, how much does it cost to prepare the food as highlighted by the OP.

Giving recipes and how to cook them isn't just enough, she should have listed the price(s) of these things...

True that, I agree with you

Ngwa Lanicky, over to you
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by oshe11: 7:46pm On May 12, 2016
we r talking subsidy U r talking Nonsense

give ur tips to BUHARI
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by yorex2011: 7:46pm On May 12, 2016
Just when we thought we had seen it all embarassed

But the way Nigerians wan take lean this period ehn, the money we are trying to conserve, na fuel and transport fair e go enter..
So kukuma just eat well..

Off to buy fried yam

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by englishmart(m): 7:46pm On May 12, 2016
very nice job. But the difference is negligible

2 Likes

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 12, 2016
Hummmmm

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by joseph1832(m): 7:54pm On May 12, 2016
skarlett:

True that, I agree with you

Ngwa Lanicky, over to you
Bia you too, how much pot of bitter leaf soup cost? Abi u wan say u no no? tongue
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Mopolchi: 7:54pm On May 12, 2016
So na egg and soya cheese na im go quench one's hunger these hard times, op?

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by VocalWalls: 7:54pm On May 12, 2016
Nice tips.

Na the miss Nairaland contestant be this?

I'm impressed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by lollmaolol(m): 7:58pm On May 12, 2016
loomer:
You dey give me recipe, I tell u say I sabi cook?

Come cook am ooo make I chop

Bachelor like us....choi
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 12, 2016
Chai! Austerity measures. How about just reviving the economy? undecided

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by rawtouch: 7:59pm On May 12, 2016
Ever noticed how egg sauce is never enough to eat yam

1 Like

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by dollaflow(m): 7:59pm On May 12, 2016
ok
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 12, 2016
Thank you. Highly important

2 Likes

Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Bamz(m): 8:01pm On May 12, 2016
Alocia:
Nice one Op.

I've tried the egg stew before when I was in school. It's so delicious.

Is there a more detailed procedure you could provide?
PS. I'm an infrequent cook
Re: Surviving This Economy: Cheap And Healthy Food & Soup Tips. by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 12, 2016
joseph1832:
Bia you too, how much pot of bitter leaf soup cost? Abi u wan say u no no? tongue

shocked shocked shocked

Is bitter leaf even a soup

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kpomo Stew Recipe: How To Make Stew With Kpomo Meat|cow Skin Recipe / How Much Is Christmas Chicken In Your Area?? / Weird Food Combinations..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.