Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? (5126 Views)

9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 15, 2009
Are stammerers in a disadvantaged position during job interviews?
I wonder if the interviewers will finish asking their questions or allow the
applicant to finish answering the questions before they ask him to leave.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by eyonigger(m): 5:47pm On Aug 15, 2009
hahahahhaha. I cant even imagine the thought of it. Well a reasonable admin officer would sideline the issue of stammering.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by sweetpain: 6:14pm On Aug 15, 2009
eyonigger:

hahahahhaha. I cant even imagine the thought of it. Well a reasonable admin officer would sideline the issue of stammering.
It depends on the type of job that is at stake. You wont want to employ a seasoned stammerer to be a TV news anchor for instance or take in a stammering lawyer into a law firm you are struggling to build.If on the other hand what is required on the job hinges on non verbal skills, it will be easier to ignore.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by rasputinn(m): 6:39pm On Aug 15, 2009
shocked shocked THIS IS A VERY INSENSITIVE THREAD
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by matiltomd(f): 7:12pm On Aug 15, 2009
rasputinn:

You don't say,  Guess you're a stammerer? Is it a crime?
Hiss
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by skyone(m): 7:21pm On Aug 15, 2009
rasputinn:

I'm not one but the above is very right. Seun, 'again kindly sort out the unethical thread on this forum thanks
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by matiltomd(f): 7:27pm On Aug 15, 2009
rasputinn:

You don't say,   Guess you're a stammerer? And that's a crime shey?
Hiss embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by remoranger(m): 8:16pm On Aug 15, 2009
I am a stammered
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by osasp(m): 8:34pm On Aug 15, 2009
sweetpain:

It depends on the type of job that is at stake. You wont want to employ a seasoned stammerer to be a TV news anchor for instance or take in a stammering lawyer into a law firm you are struggling to build.If on the other hand what is required on the job hinges on non verbal skills, it will be easier to ignore.
true say, ive got 2 sisters that stammer heavily when they r pissed off
i wouldnt want to imagine them reading the news or something because ive noticed the more nervous they r
the more intense it is so in a work environment that involves you being in the spotlight, it can be quiet tough.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 15, 2009
no matter the nature of the job, the interviewers might think the stammering was induced by fear and lack of words. The may not believe that the applicant is a natural stammerer
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 15, 2009
shocked hahaha, that is not true, i have a friend here in the UK,a Nigerian to be precise. we both study at the same uni and we attend the same church. the guy worked for Shlumberger as a mechanical/reservoir engineer before proceeding to the Uk for a higher degree. He is a chronic stammerer and he worked for shlum, a world class multinational oil servicing firm. The guy even sings in the choir and play drums as well. It is only an idiot interviewer that will discriminate against a stammerer, wink
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 15, 2009
it depends on what your job calls for

no one will hire a trial lawyer, or a marketer, who is a stammerer
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by smile4kenn(m): 10:40pm On Aug 15, 2009
@poster

You are very stupid! and you lack good sense.

I am a stammerer and I am competent and confident. During class presentations, work presentations or interviews, i come outstanding. How dare you categorize all stammers. Do you know some stammers are better talkers? because growing up they learn in more extraordinary ways to speak perfectly without grammatical errors.

Your post is insulting and embarrassing to me.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by kshow1(m): 10:55pm On Aug 15, 2009
smile4kenn:

@poster

I am a stammerer and I am competent and confident. During class presentations, work presentations or interviews, i come outstanding. How dare you categorize all stammers. Do you know some stammers are better talkers? because growing up they learn in more extraordinary ways to speak perfectly without grammatical errors.

i have not stop grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Seun(m): 11:42pm On Aug 15, 2009
Pls don't be annoyed; the poster is probably a stammerer too, or maybe he has a friend who is.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by C2H5OH(f): 11:45pm On Aug 15, 2009
shey you see poster, you have offended smile4kenn cry lol embarassed .

it is very difficult for most people who stammer, especially when faced with public speaking. best advise would be to take deep breaths and try to remain as calm as possible during the interview.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by princekevo(m): 7:10am On Aug 16, 2009
smile4kenn:

@poster

Please dont get mad, You might be confident and competent in speaking, but many are not and that is why the question was raised, And mind you, dont get angry b4 your stammering start showing on your typing, Coz we starmmerers have one thing in common, When we are angry our starmmer become worst no matter how perfect you are, lol

Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by MUZBO(m): 9:27am On Aug 16, 2009
osasp:

i wouldnt want to imagine them reading the news or something because ive noticed the more nervous they r
the more intense it is so in a work environment that involves you being in the spotlight, it can be quiet tough.
There must be something in your family making your 2 sisters stammer. Maybe your parents are too strict or too demanding. Its just a trend I've noticed.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by MUZBO(m): 9:27am On Aug 16, 2009
osasp:

There must be something in your family making your 2 sisters stammer. Maybe your parents are too strict or too demanding. Its just a trend I've noticed.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by informat09(m): 9:30am On Aug 16, 2009
used to stammer when i was younger, quite embrassing though,

the bad part was when in school, we used to take turns to read aloud from our textbooks,those were the worst moments of my school days ,i stammered like hell
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 16, 2009
Seun:

Pls don't be annoyed; the poster is probably a stammerer too, or maybe he has a  friend who is.
Am suprised you guessed it right that I am a stammerer too, though a low-level category, I think it wouldn't be enough to hamper my chances in an interview because it's not always noticable. Anyway, I just wanna tell those who feel offended about this thread that it wasn't created for fun but to give us insight on how this situation should be dealt with and also aimed at boosting confidence and suppressing any fears that stammerers may have about job interviews. In addition, maybe some drops of vicks baba blue before an interview may help out. grin
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by informat09(m): 10:45am On Aug 16, 2009
try speaking like an american with an americano accent if you are a stammerer, it kind of helps, i used to stammer and i tried it , works sometimes
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 16, 2009
informat09:

try speaking like an american with an americano accent if you are a stammerer, it kind of helps, i used to stammer and i tried it , works sometimes
Our throats are not the same. What worked out for you may not work for everyone.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Donvilo(m): 12:12pm On Aug 16, 2009
@eina.But at least, give it a try, sha. wink
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by dfp(m): 1:25pm On Aug 16, 2009
coolalright guys y is everybody badgering emselvs, i am a low key stammerer and i dont see non wrong ,matter of fact if u talk slowly no body will ever notice, luck grin kiss
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by smile4kenn(m): 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2009
informat09:

It works perfectly
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by Chizolum(f): 4:40pm On Aug 16, 2009
@poster

I feel there is a better way of letting d poster know how you feel about this topic instead of insulting
And I'm quite sure the poster didn't mean it in mocking manner,
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by vislabraye(m): 7:33pm On Aug 16, 2009
saxywale:

shocked hahaha, that is not true, i have a friend here in the UK,a Nigerian to be precise. we both study at the same uni and we attend the same church. the guy worked for Shlumberger as a mechanical/reservoir engineer before proceeding to the Uk for a higher degree. He is a chronic stammerer and he worked for shlum, a world class multinational oil servicing firm. The guy even sings in the choir and play drums as well. It is only an idiot interviewer that will discriminate against a stammerer, wink

You said Schlumbeger as an Engineer, and not a PRO or any other job that requires eloquence. Just imagine someone like Frank Edoho as a stammerer, or Funmi Iyanda. It would be ridiculous. But the kind of job where you work with machines, or u are in a hole drilling something, then being a stammerer does not matter at all,
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by C2H5OH(f): 7:36pm On Aug 16, 2009
aren't you being a little too unreasoning, sir? of course communication matters a great deal in the workplace.
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by GeorgeD1(m): 10:27pm On Aug 16, 2009
i see no big deal in this. tell this to abiola (may he be blessed) and he'll laugh you to
scorn. a good interviewer knows how to sift the wheat from the chaff. besides, for
any knowledgeable person, it's not hard to see that money does not necessarily
gravitate to those who are smooth talkers! grin
Re: Do Stammerers Have A Good Chance In High Stake Job Interviews? by lucillia90: 10:31pm On Aug 16, 2009
Lets all be sincere with ourselves

Not in Nigeria here where Even fluent, 1st class and intelligent Engineering peeps are struggling to secure a Teaching job, A stammerer is usually disadvantaged,

he might scale the test stage and 1st stage of the interview but most likely the individula would be dropped in the 2nd or 3rd stage,

The chronic stammerer that got a job with Schlum then  was because @ dat time the competition was less,

I don't believe he would stand quarter of a chance now,

After all, Abiola winner of june 12 election was a stammerer, yet he did debate, gani Fawehinmi is a stammerer yet he is a SAN,

The bottom line is " can the message be acrossed by the stammerer, i.e hw severe is it?

Also it depends on the interviewer

Simple truth,

(1) (2) (Reply)

-- / Shoprite Abia / List Of Federal Mdas That Will Recruit In 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.