Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,408 members, 7,954,622 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:01 AM

Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO (34048 Views)

Pollution: 10 Most Toxically Polluted Places On Earth. / Onitsha, Aba, Umahia And Kaduna Named In WHO Report As The Most Polluted Cities / WHO Rates Onitsha As “most Polluted City” In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by YourNemesis: 4:43pm On May 13, 2016
Onitsha
Aba
Umuahia

All dirty and Filthy! cheesy cheesy

Na waa o.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by NICENEDU29: 4:43pm On May 13, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:
This is no news, we have always known the south east is the most backward region in Nigeria. Even the North with the poverty is cleaner.

Take Nimbo community for instance, the whole town is made up of mud houses with no tarred road and Enugu happens to be the Capital of SE, HOW MUCH MORE THE HELL HOLE CALLED ONITCHA angry
Ignorance is the worst disease on earth. It is worse and deadlier than AIDS. Some so-called "educated" persons are nothing but common local champions who have never travelled of their State of origin or even their village. But they are very good at hearsay talk which can easily be discarded for being baseless, useless & unreasonable. It will take more than 5 centuries for such people to get out of their foolishness & ignorance. And the worst of it is that no matter how highly "educated" they may be, ethnocentrism, tribalism & stupidity will forever be their life companions.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by dunkem21(m): 4:46pm On May 13, 2016
Poweredbreww:

So date of registration means what? You truly have no shame. Mschew

E pain am cheesy
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by NICENEDU29: 5:21pm On May 13, 2016
Armaggedon:
If this article was a comprehension question, 80% would have failed.

An article talks about polution caused by rapid industralization and carbon emission but our so-called educated youths understood it as dirtiness .

This country has no future
My good brother, pls help me educate them. Am baffled at the level of ignorance & illiteracy my fellow NL are shamelessly displaying here. Common sense and understanding, they dont have. Most of them cant even express themselves in good english. A primary one pupil cannot even commit the kind of grammatical blunder this bunch of uncivilized tribal bigots are committing. These ar people who hav wasted their parents' hard earned money acquiring western education. Yet, they hav nothng to show for it. Just look at the kind of rude & hate coment they are making due to their lack of understanding of simple english. Yet they still call themselves graduates evn when they cant be differentiated 4rm de people at de stone age.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Poweredbreww: 5:21pm On May 13, 2016
dunkem21:

E pain am cheesy

Smh. Many are mad but few are roaming. Pain in what way nah? Na wah for your kind of dullness o.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by kwyllancy: 5:23pm On May 13, 2016
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Poweredbreww: 5:24pm On May 13, 2016
Awon smellos. Onitsha plus Aba and dumpsite are like this....

5 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by dunkem21(m): 5:33pm On May 13, 2016
Poweredbreww:

Smh. Many are mad but few are roaming. Pain in what way nah? Na wah for your kind of dullness o.

E sweet am .. grin
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by commodorejydes(m): 5:54pm On May 13, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:
This is no news, we have always known the south east is the most backward region in Nigeria. Even the North with the poverty is cleaner.

Take Nimbo community for instance, the whole town is made up of mud houses with no tarred road and Enugu happens to be the Capital of SE, HOW MUCH MORE THE HELL HOLE CALLED ONITCHA angry
my broda ur ignorant disgust me..... I'm yoruba bread in warri, schooled in d west n servers in d north Jos. I can categorically tell u onitsha is not in anyway uve described it... Dey r lots of high/tall building, infact I can tell u it's d trade mark of d place cous I've been working dere for 3years nw... Just leave Dat ur small village n try to travel b4 jumping into conclusion, I just wonder wat u getting so much likes for.... Mtchw

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by kenex4ever(m): 6:04pm On May 13, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

I have toured most of southwest, and apart from lagos, 70% of the houses are mud. That's d only place in naija where dey use mud to build 3storey building.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by sonnie10: 6:06pm On May 13, 2016
This is an excerpt from the author of the research which was used in this study. I don't blame people that said, "if you want to hide anything from a black man, put it in page of book."

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by sonnie10: 6:15pm On May 13, 2016
Below is the main reason they gave for the high PM in Onistha. Note: This is the primary source that was used by WHO in their article.

I still repeat that Nigeria educational system is "fantastically corrupt" if "educated folks" are not able to do simple findings like this on their own, before coming to exhibit their ignorance on public forum.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by 19naia(m): 6:16pm On May 13, 2016
Thanks for this post, It explains a lot about what happened to me when passing through onitsha.

I was riding in a van and started to feel light headed, dazed and like my breath was not carrying enough strength. It lasted only through the areas on both sides of the Niger river bridge. I never experienced that level of distress any where else in Nigeria. I could see the color of the air change as we left the area. So much heavy traffic converging at the bridge point with so much smoke pollution from the city fires and generators.
It didnt look as bad as some of the pictures i have seem of China, but i was feeling it strong and was worried i would go unconscious from lack of good air.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by NewNigeriaMind: 6:16pm On May 13, 2016
commodorejydes:
my broda ur ignorant disgust me..... I'm yoruba bread in warri, schooled in d west n servers in d north Jos. I can categorically tell u onitsha is not in anyway uve described it... Dey r lots of high/tall building, infact I can tell u it's d trade mark of d place cous I've been working dere for 3years nw... Just leave Dat ur small village n try to travel b4 jumping into conclusion, I just wonder wat u getting so much likes for.... Mtchw

With the English written here, I see why you are a bread seller.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by NewNigeriaMind: 6:19pm On May 13, 2016
NICENEDU29:

Hahahahahahahahahaha! see mumu. Now u hav exposed ur ignorance the more. Who is the idiot that told ur gullible self that I dont have a job? I am gainfully employed and am very much comfortable with my good job. Do think am like a hopeless, jobless and useless motor park tout like u and ur entire famly? I really pitty u because u are nothing but a hopeless satanic & chronic NFA - No Future Ambition. None of ur family members including ur useless self will ever get to present level in life. Yes am 26 but am already a post graduate degree holder and am living very comfortably with a very nice job & even sponsoring my siblings in higher institutions. Do u think am like u who is over 30 yrs yet u are still doing agbero job & sometimes carrying one dirty brown envelop from one office to another. U hav just told me de reason why u ar stil jobless at ur age. Shameless NFA.

I really have no time for your ilk, do yourself a favour, think about improving your life and that of your parents. With your 2.2, add fasting and prayers to it and you may just be cured of the hate and bitterness.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Abagworo(m): 6:20pm On May 13, 2016
So Abia has 2 badly ranked cities. What a shame.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by AmericanQuarter: 6:32pm On May 13, 2016
19naia:
Thanks for this post, It explains a lot about what happened to me when passing through onitsha.

I was riding in a van and started to feel light headed, dazed and like my breath was not carrying enough strength. It lasted only through the on both sides of the Niger river bridge. generators.
It didnt look as bad as some of the pictures i have seem of China, but i was feeling it strong and was worried i would go unconscious from lack of good air.

The first and second pix are Onitsha while the 3rd and 4th are Asaba. Just so you know the difference in the pictures.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by sonnie10: 6:37pm On May 13, 2016
Abagworo:
So Abia has 2 badly ranked cities. What a shame.

You still do not get it! This was not about nairaland fight of shaming people from other states. The fact is that only two cities from each of the south eastern states were studied.

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by AmericanQuarter: 6:41pm On May 13, 2016
sonnie10:
Below is the main reason they gave for the high PM in Onistha. Note: This is the primary source that was used by WHO in their article.

I still repeat that Nigeria educational system is "fantastically corrupt" if "educated folks" are not able to do simple findings like this on their own, before coming to exhibit their ignorance on public forum.

The study was actually done only in the SE, and all of the cities studied according to this information below has the PM. Thanking you for going deeper in this to unravelling the facts. Air pollution is a worldwide affair and Nigeria is not an exception.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by undigeh: 6:48pm On May 13, 2016
CeoNewshelm:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/12/which-are-the-worlds-two-most-polluted-cities-and-why

Where do you place Karu Local Government Area of Nasarawa State. The only presence of Government, is Revenue department.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Poweredbreww: 6:51pm On May 13, 2016
dunkem21:

E sweet am .. grin

Troll. Awon smellos
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Poweredbreww: 6:52pm On May 13, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

With the English written here, I see why you are a bread seller.

Buahahaa. TKO

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Poweredbreww: 6:53pm On May 13, 2016
commodorejydes:

Yoruba bread grin cheesy buhahahahaha. Lwkmd

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by 19naia(m): 7:10pm On May 13, 2016
AmericanQuarter:

The first and second pix are Onitsha while the 3rd and 4th are Asaba. Just so you know the difference in the pictures.

Thanks. I was there and took the pictures myself and I know the Asaba side from the Onitsha side.
Yes the Asaba side is also bad where the traffic gathers around the bridge, and i did not start feeling well until we moved well beyond the bridge area in Asaba heading towards Lagos. Its not so much Onitsha city but the Niger river bridge area and the heavy industrial traffic it brings. Low quality diesel is a terrible thing and those large lorries burn it in large messy quantities.
Thats why its best to have several bridges spread over several areas rather than have all of the cross regional traffic converge at one city to spoil the city in this way. Nigeria has out grown the existing Niger River infrastructure and that second Niger bridge is not enough. There needs to be at least one more bridge closer to Owerri and portharcourt. Looks like Abo and Ndoni towns (see the photos) would be a good location if a good expressway is installed to handle the traffic. If portharcourt and owerri Traffic could take a more southern route, it would save time, fuel burn/$ and divert overwhelming traffic away from Onitsha/Asaba
The city I live in is just finishing a 5th bridge in a city of almost 1.5 million people, but it uses so many bridges to serve the interstate corridor passing through the city. People cross the river in my city here from many states and once they cross, they divert into directions going to several states, just like Onitsha. People converge at Onitsha from Lagos, Benin city, Ibadan, Akure and so on, and when they cross at Onitsha, they divert onward towards Owerri, portharcourt, calabar, anambra and so on. But all using one bridge and waiting for a second to erect. We have our 5th bridge finishing up in my city here and its not even a major city. Niger river need to increase the number of bridges and spread them out to cover crossing close to Owerri and Portharcourt.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by NaWetinDey(m): 7:35pm On May 13, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

A typical Nigerian- laying curses on himself, his ancestors, his generation and posterity. No wonder Nigeria is what it is. You have no saviour.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Kennydoc(m): 7:56pm On May 13, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

Most backward in what sense please? Show me any article that denotes the backwardness of the south east as compared to the other geopolitical zones with regards to Health, Education, Social services and overall standard of living.
Meanwhile, look at this link:
https://www.nairaland.com/2263635/south-east-south-west-south-south-lead-attainment

http://www.punchng.com/seast-safest-place-live-says-un/
Do you still think south east is the most backward region?

TheNonce:
grin
So if I call them "dirty, filthy, stinking ipob youths" now, I would be very accurate?
Solid!
You clearly lack comprehension skills. It's a big pity. Read the report again, bigot!

Twistaray:
grin grin grin grin
We ain't surprise.
We knew before now, the most dirty region and people nah grin
I no mention name ooo grin grin
Put your brain to use. The report didn't talk about dirtiness. Umuahia isn't dirtier than Lagos.
Even Riyadh isn't dirtier than Lagos or Ibadan.

Sall:
Onitsha at number one .Kaduna at number five and Aba and umuahia at number six and sixteenth respectively. And you guy comes to Lagos to boost of developing Lagos . hypocritical set of tribes. Charity they say begins at home.
The report has nothing to do with development. Okene (Kogi State) for example isn't on the list, but we know it is far less developed than Onitsha. What about Riyadh the Capital City of Saudi Arabia, which is the 6th on the list. Is it also less developed than Osogbo?

superduperjay:
Lagos used to be number one on this list as at 2005 or so but thanks to Fashola and his LAWMA/beautification crew. Though lagos is not 100percent but its much much better than the past. The peeps asking for criteria they mean pollution, land oo air oo sea ooo grin most probably land onitsha is dirty . lipsrsealed
Use your eyes. They are not there for decoration. Your brain is for reasoning. Use it.

MrkenOkonkwo:
Lies!
Lagos-Ibadan Propaganda.
WHO are jealous of our progress because we are the ones that devoloped London, Wellington & Geneva for them. - Ipod youth
The same set of onitshaians will tell you that Ibadan & Lagos (The two biggest cities in W/Africa) are the dirtiest.
Bunch of dirty pigs!

This one go school so? Don't you understand the difference between air pollution and dirtiness? Do you lack comprehension skills?
He's even impersonating Igbos on this forum with his fake Igbo moniker, and couldn't even wait to revert back to his original moniker before releasing the venoms. Shame!
Of late, many shameless beings have been using Igbo monikers to insult Igbos on this forum. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Cc Ebukaobi, VivianUdeogu, etc.

Karanka:
I see a lot of folks here don't understand what the post is talking about. Being the most polluted city in the world doesn't generally denote dirtiness; rather,it is based on the particulate matters generated from the city which is in the air. These particulate matters come from sources like soots from vehicles,industries, construction activities,wood-burning etc - generally, industrialization. It's almost a problem with fast growing cities where a lot of industrial activities go on. Countries like China,Saudi Arabia etc have been battling with this for long. Air pollution poses health risks,which can in turn affect the economy of a place. The Nigerian cities affected should simply enact effective policies to mitigate against this,even as they continue with their industrial boom.
Don't mind them. They are too blind and dumb to understand what the study was all about.

Nobody is even considering the fact that Onitsha is a major gateway to the entire south east, therefore most of the vehicles coming into the south east especially from the Lagos and other parts of the south west must enter and exit the south east through Onitsha.
Why won't Onitsha be that polluted considering how small it is in size compared to the activities going on in it?

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by AmericanQuarter: 7:56pm On May 13, 2016
19naia:

Thanks. I was there and took the pictures myself and I know the Asaba side from the Onitsha side.
Yes the Asaba side is also bad where the traffic gathers around the bridge, and i did not start feeling well until we moved well beyond the bridge area in Asaba heading towards Lagos. Its not so much Onitsha city but the Niger river bridge area and the heavy industrial traffic it brings. Low quality diesel is a terrible thing and those large lorries burn it in large messy quantities.
Thats why its best to have several bridges spread over several areas rather than have all of the cross regional traffic converge at one city to spoil the city in this way. Nigeria has out grown the existing Niger River infrastructure and that second Niger bridge is not enough. There needs to be at least one more bridge closer to Owerri and portharcourt. Looks like Abo and Ndoni towns (see the photos) would be a good location if a good expressway is installed to handle the traffic. If portharcourt and owerri Traffic could take a more southern route, it would save time, fuel burn/$ and divert overwhelming traffic away from Onitsha/Asaba
The city I live in is just finishing a 5th bridge in a city of almost 1.5 million people, but it uses so many bridges to serve the interstate corridor passing through the city. People cross the river in my city here from many states and once they cross, they divert into directions going to several states, just like Onitsha. People converge at Onitsha from Lagos, Benin city, Ibadan, Akure and so on, and when they cross at Onitsha, they divert onward towards Owerri, portharcourt, calabar, anambra and so on. But all using one bridge and waiting for a second to erect. We have our 5th bridge finishing up in my city here and its not even a major city. Niger river need to increase the number of bridges and spread them out to cover crossing close to Owerri and Portharcourt.

The Niger bridge has always been the hotspot. Even the survey was done at the niger bridge area during high traffic season. But the larger Onitsha metropolis is devoid of this as the niger bridge is the convergence point between the north and south. This is one of reasons for the construction of the second niger bridge which is off Onitsha metropolis towards south of River niger but still within view. Second niger bridge will go along way.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by NewNigeriaMind: 8:14pm On May 13, 2016
[quote author=NaWetinDey post=45593690]

A typical Nigerian- laying curses on himself, his ancestors, his generation and posterity. No wonder Nigeria is what it is. You have no saviour.

[/quote

have you eaten today?
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Twistaray(m): 8:24pm On May 13, 2016
Kennydoc:

Most backward in what sense please? Show me any article that denotes the backwardness of the south east as compared to the other geopolitical zones with regards to Health, Education, Social services and overall standard of living.

Meanwhile, look at this link:
https://www.nairaland.com/2263635/south-east-south-west-south-south-lead-attainment

You clearly lack comprehension skills. It's a big pity. Read the report again, bigot!

Put your brain to use. The report didn't talk about dirtiness. Umuahia isn't dirtier than Lagos.
Even Riyadh isn't dirtier than Lagos or Ibadan.

The report has nothing to do with development. Okene (Kogi State) for example isn't on the list, but we know it is far less developed than Onitsha. What about Riyadh the Capital City of Saudi Arabic which is the 6th on the list. Is it also less developed than Osogbo?

Use your eyes. They are not there for decoration. Your brain is for reasoning. Use it.

This one go school so? Don't you understand the difference between air pollution and dirtiness? Do you lack comprehension skills?
He's even impersonating Igbos on this forum with his fake Igbo moniker, and couldn't even wait to revert back to his original moniker before releasing the venoms. Shame!
Of late, many shameless beings have been using Igbo monikers to insult Igbos on this forum. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Cc Ebukaobi, VivianUdeogu, etc.

Don't mind them. They are too blind and dumb to understand what the study was all about.

Nobody is even considering the fact that Onitsha is a major gateway to the entire south east, therefore most of the vehicles coming into the south east especially from the Lagos and other parts of the south west must enter and exit the south east through Onitsha.
Why won't Onitsha be that polluted considering how small it is in size compared to the activities going on in it?

grin Oh really?
Even without the facts up there we all know that Aba and Onitsha are both filled with filths.

A recent study of Onitsha’s water pollution found more than 100 petrol stations in the city, often selling low-quality fuel, dozens of unregulated rubbish dumps, major fuel spills and high levels of arsenic, mercury, lead, copper and iron in its water. The city’s many metal industries, private hospitals and workshops were all said to be heavy polluters emitting chemical, hospital and household waste and sewage.

Read again abeg and until a contrary report is ssay otherwise the one above remains.

cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lady Delivers Conjoined Twins In Benue(photos) / All You Need To Know About Breech Birth (Photos) / Why Do Women Have Better Dentition Than Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.