Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,684 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO (33644 Views)

Pollution: 10 Most Toxically Polluted Places On Earth. / Onitsha, Aba, Umahia And Kaduna Named In WHO Report As The Most Polluted Cities / WHO Rates Onitsha As “most Polluted City” In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by sonnie10: 8:24pm On May 13, 2016
This is the figure for PM concentration in Lagos conducted by the state transport authority. While part of Onitsha is at 580ug/m3, it puts some places in Lagos state as high as 650ug/m3.

Olukayode T., Study on Air Pollution in Lagos, Nigeria,
Lagos Metropolis Area, Transport Authority

http://www.unep.org/urban_environment/PDFs/BAQ09_olukayode.pdf

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by sonnie10: 8:28pm On May 13, 2016
Original source for PM in Lagos State

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by asha90: 8:31pm On May 13, 2016
^^^^^^^^@twistaray, food don land. What do you have to say? cheesy cheesy
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Kennydoc(m): 8:34pm On May 13, 2016
Twistaray:

grin Oh really?
Even without the facts up there we all know that Aba and Onitsha are both filled with filths.

A recent study of Onitsha’s water pollution found more than 100 petrol stations in the city, often selling low-quality fuel, dozens of unregulated rubbish dumps, major fuel spills and high levels of arsenic, mercury, lead, copper and iron in its water. The city’s many metal industries, private hospitals and workshops were all said to be heavy polluters emitting chemical, hospital and household waste and sewage.

Read again abeg and until a contrary report is ssay otherwise the one above remains.

cheesy cheesy

So what about the point in bold shows that Onitsha is dirty? It was solely on account of the PM10 that Onitsha was ranked the most polluted, not the dirtiest. Those points you highlighted were just made to buttress their point about the pollution in Onitsha.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Twistaray(m): 8:39pm On May 13, 2016
Kennydoc:

So what about the point in bold shows that Onitsha is dirty? It was solely on account of the PM10 that Onitsha was ranked the most polluted, not the dirtiest. Those points you highlighted were just made to buttress their point about the pollution in Onitsha.

Maybe you should check your dictionary for the meaning of the word " Polluted".
Here Is part of the bolded , provided "and household waste and sewage.

I understand that this is hard for you to swallow but, what can we do to amend these?
Too late bro undecided

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Kennydoc(m): 8:44pm On May 13, 2016
Twistaray:

Maybe you should check your dictionary for the meaning of the word " Polluted".
Here Is part of the bolded , provided "and household waste and sewage.

I understand that this is hard for you to swallow but, what can we do to amend these?
Too late bro undecided

You don't understand. Onitsha was rated high only based on PM10 which simply talks about particulate matter in the air. The rating wasn't based on household waste and sewage. The report didn't say Onitsha had the highest release of household wastes and sewage in Nigeria. Such a study that would analyse that hasn't been done. They only stated all those to add 'flesh' to the study, but we have earlier been told that it was a measure of particulate matter in the air that put Onitsha as number 1.
Is my point so difficult to understand?

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Khez: 9:28pm On May 13, 2016
Smh... what is this country turning into?

Humans can't even make a simple comment without tribal sentiments attached........ NL is indeed full of children!!

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Twistaray(m): 9:30pm On May 13, 2016
Kennydoc:

You don't understand. Onitsha was rated high only based on PM10 which simply talks about particulate matter in the air. The rating wasn't based on household waste and sewage. The report didn't say Onitsha had the highest release of household wastes and sewage in Nigeria. Such a study that would analyse that hasn't been done. They only stated all those to add 'flesh' to the study, but we have earlier been told that it was a measure of particulate matter in the air that put Onitsha as number 1.
Is my point so difficult to understand?

What else would W.H.O have used to measure pollution, unfriendly/chaotic environment ?
Listen, you don't expect a whole W.H.O to use the word " the most dirties" city do you?

Like I wrote easier on unfriendly or dirty environment is not often refer to as dirty but polluted.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Kennydoc(m): 10:02pm On May 13, 2016
Twistaray:

What else would W.H.O have used to measure pollution, unfriendly/chaotic environment ?
Listen, you don't expect a whole W.H.O to use the word " the most dirties" city do you?

Like I wrote easier on unfriendly or dirty environment is not often refer to as dirty but polluted.

Why are you finding it difficult to understand simple things? The rating was done simply based on particulate matter in the air, PM10. It's not about dirtiness, cos Riyadh the Capital of Saudi Arabia isn't dirtier than Ibadan, Abeokuta or Osogbo.
Even if Onitsha is very dirty, you will agree with me that this rating would change if the analysis is only based on environmental hygiene.
Hope you've read the UN article about about south east being the safest place to live in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by NICENEDU29: 10:07pm On May 13, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

I really have no time for your ilk, do yourself a favour, think about improving your life and that of your parents. With your 2.2, add fasting and prayers to it and you may just be cured of the hate and bitterness.
Hahahahahahahahaha! this mumu has come again oo! U should better have time for me, let me render u useless. Do u think am a hopeless begger like u? As I hav told u before, at my age am already a post graduate degree holder. I hav a very nice job, living very fine & sponsoring my siblings in higher institutions. As for my parents, they lack nothing because they hav good financial foundation and they are doing very well in their career, unlike ur hopeless parents whom am sure are nothing but beggers & destitutes & they cannot even boast of paltry N50000 in a month. As for my grade, I made over 4.00 both in my first degree and post graduate degree. Of course u should know dat is a very strong 2.1. As for u, am sure u narrowly escaped 3rd class. FOOL.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Twistaray(m): 10:27pm On May 13, 2016
Kennydoc:

Why are you finding it difficult to understand simple things? The rating was done simply based on particulate matter in the air, PM10. It's not about dirtiness, cos Riyadh the Capital of Saudi Arabia isn't dirtier than Ibadan, Abeokuta or Osogbo.
Even if Onitsha is very dirty, you will agree with me that this rating would change if the analysis is only based on environmental hygiene.
Hope you've read the UN article about about south east being the safest place to live in Nigeria?

Safe in what aspect? Maybe you want to specify that?

You don't seem to understand the points i was trying to make at all.

As it stands the report can be liken to facts until it proven otherwise.
Ever asked why the reporter/anylist had nothing to say about lagos,osun, ekiti et Al despite the fact that he had to travel/drive all the way from lagos down to Onitsha.
So the question is,why Onitsha and Aba of all state in the federation?

Well, as for whatever measure or logic you chose to apply the point here is, is Onitsha the only state in the whole of SE/nigeria?
And why other measure would W.H.O have used to measure and conclude that Onitsha is the most? Polluted? State-as a result of unfriendly environment also know as polluted/pollution "?
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by NICENEDU29: 11:08pm On May 13, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

You are in your late 3o living with your parents, you graduated with 2.2, pushing papers in a no-class law firm and you are currently supporting your siblings because your parents don't have the means to do so anymore.

Yet you are here displaying the typical igboid attribute-chest beating.

This is my advise to you, focus on your life and pray, work hard so you can lift your parents and family out of the pitiable condition they are currently.

If only you are worth more than one of my shoes, i would have taken your lamentations more seriously. By the WAY, bitterness kills, stop being boisterous cause you only show your poverty mentality when you don't even have a kobo to your name.

You are beneath anyone close to me not to talk of myself, have a little respect angry.

Peace
Wel, I'v said it b4 & I wl keep sayng it: U AR A SATANIC&CHRONIC NFA. If ur family can eva in their lifetym produce some1 lyk me, call de whole world 2 celebrate wit u
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by mickey226(m): 11:47pm On May 13, 2016
[quote author=MrsNgoziKalu post=45588768]See them consoling themselves with *industrial base*. Industrial base my red ass. cheesy does all the aforementioned Towns have more industries than Lagos, PH, Kano or Ibadan? chestbeaters.
Now they have started shouting industries, but their Igr usually proves otherwise.
This is when we need Russia. hahaha[/quote
madam that analysis wasn't carried out in lagos, if it was, you know what the outcome would be, you don't just get sample from a particular place and make assumptions about a whole city, u get random samples from different parts of the city.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by ejyke4lyf(m): 1:39am On May 14, 2016
So if I call them "dirty, filthy, stinking ipob youths" now, I would be very accurate?

Solid![/quote]
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by 9inches(m): 2:15am On May 14, 2016
However, the WHO also said on Wednesday that the pollution data from Onitsha was not necessarily reliable because it came from a single monitoring station.

“It is difficult to get accurate measurements in Africa. You can get super-high readings, but ideally the measurements should be done over a year to include different seasons and times of day. The reading in Onitsha may be representative but not altogether reliable,” said a WHO spokeswoman

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by DOD1: 6:18am On May 14, 2016
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Adesiji77: 6:45am On May 14, 2016
Mynd44:
4 Nigerian cities made top 20.

#WeTriumphStill

Like seriously? cheesy grin
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by masterpat(m): 7:43am On May 14, 2016
TheNonce:
grin

So if I call them "dirty, filthy, stinking ipob youths" now, I would be very accurate?

Solid!

If i call u a very big fool, i believe i will be very accurate as well
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Ezenwanne: 8:09am On May 14, 2016
Joe4lv:
@OP,please give us the criteria for this rating and not just using 'polluted'. Is it noise pollution, environmental pollution, etc.

You don't just post something without write-ups to back your claims.

Until you edit your post and give us the bases of those ranking, your post remains null and void.

I can even see umuahia there and I hope it is not what am thinking?
your spelling of Oni**** shows u ve not bn to d place so u ain't qualified to discuss it
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Raydos: 8:49am On May 14, 2016
this news gat me rolling on the ground grin , apparently, if biafra is realised it would be the most polluted country in the world
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by TheNonce: 11:12am On May 14, 2016
grin
masterpat:

If i call u a very big fool, i believe i will be very accurate as well

No need! We already refer to your demented father as a highly respected big fool in our society of fools! He is our "kabiyesi!"

Now kindly get lost from my mentions you this "_stupid, _moronic, god forsaken, pained idiot"
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by TheNonce: 11:18am On May 14, 2016
grin
Kennydoc:

You clearly lack comprehension skills. It's a big pity. Read the report again, bigot!

Get lost from my mentions you this dirty onitsha ipob animal! This long epistle of painment you just posted is trash!

If you like cry all day like a 5 year old girl, or you can go and report the o.p to the police if you want! Na you sabi! Go and clean up your state capital abeg! I can smell the stench all over the thread!

***covers nose with peg***
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Kennydoc(m): 11:25am On May 14, 2016
TheNonce:
grin

Get lost from my mentions you this dirty onitsha ipob animal! This long epistle of painment you just posted is trash!

If you like cry all day like a 5 year old girl, or you can go and report the o.p to the police if you want! Na you sabi! Go and clean up your state capital abeg! I can smell the stench all over the thread!

***covers nose with peg***

You aren't worth my epistle. What do you know? To even refer to Onitsha as a state capital shows the level of your ignorance.
Get out!

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by TheNonce: 11:27am On May 14, 2016
grin
Kennydoc:

You aren't worth my epistle. What do you know? To even refer to Onitsha as a state capital shows the level of your ignorance.
Get out!

Chimo! E don pain am finish!

Lmfao!!!
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Kennydoc(m): 11:38am On May 14, 2016
Twistaray:

I hope learning isn't difficult for you, sincerely.
The list talked about most polluted cities in the world. They only measured air pollution and rated the cities accordingly, so you cannot extrapolate it by yourself to mean dirtiness. Most of the cities listed there aren't necessarily dirty, but they have the highest concentrations of particulate matter in the air most of which are released by exhaust fumes of vehicles, generators, industries, even dust from roads.

Onitsha is the gateway to the south east, apart from being the largest commercial city in the south east. It has very heavy vehicular traffic when you consider it's size compared to any other city in Nigeria. What I mean is that because of the very small size of Onitsha, and the fact that more than 50% of all vehicles entering and exiting the south east pass through the town, it has the highest vehicular density in Nigeria. That's the reason why the particulate matter in the air is so high, compared to Lagos. The study only measured the particulate matter in the air in the different cities studied.
Even if Onitsha is dirty, the study didn't rate the town as the dirtiest in the world.

There is a whole lot of difference between air pollution and dirtiness. Beijing has always been known to be one of the most polluted cities in the world cos of the concentration of particles in the air. Even the atmosphere in Beijing often looks hazy in the daytime cos of the high concentration of fumes in the air, but Beijing isn't a dirty city. It's the capital of China and is better organized and neater than even Abuja.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Twistaray(m): 12:46pm On May 14, 2016
Kennydoc:

The list talked about most polluted cities in the world. They only measured air pollution and rated the cities accordingly, so you cannot extrapolate it by yourself to mean dirtiness. Most of the cities listed there aren't necessarily dirty, but they have the highest concentrations of particulate matter in the air most of which are released by exhaust fumes of vehicles, generators, industries, even dust from roads.

Onitsha is the gateway to the south east, apart from being the largest commercial city in the south east. It has very heavy vehicular traffic when you consider it's size compared to any other city in Nigeria. What I mean is that because of the very small size of Onitsha, and the fact that more than 50% of all vehicles entering and exiting the south east pass through the town, it has the highest vehicular density in Nigeria. That's the reason why the particulate matter in the air is so high, compared to Lagos. The study only measured the particulate matter in the air in the different cities studied.
Even if Onitsha is dirty, the study didn't rate the town as the dirtiest in the world.

There is a whole lot of difference between air pollution and dirtiness. Beijing has always been known to be one of the most polluted cities in the world cos of the concentration of particles in the air. Even the atmosphere in Beijing often looks hazy in the daytime cos of the high concentration of fumes in the air, but Beijing isn't a dirty city. It's the capital of China and is better organized and neater than even Abuja.

Is Onitsha technologically, infrastruturally et Al developed as Beijing?
The answer is no.
Now, taking into context each analysis of each rated country or state you would observe that onitasha was specifically described as unfriendly, chaotic and disorder environment and state unlike Beijing.
Each state/country (from the Op) as it own explanatory and detailed info as per what contributes to each " Pollution and if you read properly and patiently this time you will observe that that of Onitsha wasn't pointed to large industries or business activities hence the research used words such as " wastages, chaotic, dusty and unplanned environment.

I hope you understand better now grin

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by AmericanQuarter: 5:38pm On May 14, 2016
Kennydoc:

Don't bother yourself as we all know that Onitsha is a beautiful neat city. Someone has already pointed out the basis for the survey and it was limited to the Eastern cities whereas we know that the PM for Lagos is by far more than Onitsha or any other major eastern city. So worry not as the reality defeats the so called report.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by Kennydoc(m): 5:43pm On May 14, 2016
AmericanQuarter:

Don't bother yourself as we all know that Onitsha is a beautiful neat city. Someone has already pointed out the basis for the survey and it was limited to the Eastern cities whereas we know that the PM for Lagos is by far more than Onitsha or any other major eastern city. So worry not as the reality defeats the so called report.

Thank you.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by sonnie10: 7:08pm On May 14, 2016
AmericanQuarter:

We all know the truth, that if Lagos was involved in the study, the result would have caused a state of emergency to be declared by WHO. Go to Ibadan teaching hospital and see the length of their wait list for radiotherapy cancer treatment; the only functional center in the SW. What do you think is driving the numbers? The answer is simple, pollution in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by madridsta007(m): 7:56pm On May 14, 2016
NewNigeriaMind:

Are you hign on weed or something.

Have you ever read where I ask you not to leave Nigeria and form your own country. In fact, i am pro-biafra and i want all of us in Nigeria to go our separate ways.

So please if you want to leave Nigeria, do us all the favor of not just talking about it but actually doing it. Start by leaving the south west for starters.

Kapish

I wasn't referring to you in particular, Mr NewNigeriaMind. I was being rhetorical.

And thank you for being Pro Biafra. I am sure they appreciate it.

Cheers.
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by masterpat(m): 10:04pm On May 14, 2016
TheNonce:
grin

No need! We already refer to your demented father as a highly respected big fool in our society of fools! He is our "kabiyesi!"

Now kindly get lost from my mentions you this "_stupid, _moronic, god forsaken, pained idiot"

Now its so obvious how irresponsible you are and also you are a little mannerless maggot who has achieved so little in life***poor brat consumed by all life's frustrations**

You are this poor, i wonder the faith of ur father... stinking smilling lineage of beggers.

You havnt had what to eat in days, you come NL dey insult the SE way no do you anything*** ENORMOUS FOOL***
Re: Onitsha Ranked As The Most Polluted City In The World By WHO by TheNonce: 10:08pm On May 14, 2016
grin
masterpat:

Now its so obvious how irresponsible you are and also you are a little mannerless maggot who has achieved so little in life***poor brat consumed by all life's frustrations**

You are this poor, i wonder the faith of ur father... stinking smilling lineage of beggers.

You havnt had what to eat in days, you come NL dey insult the SE way no do you anything*** ENORMOUS FOOL***

See painment? Lmfao!

Go and clean your filthy region abeg! Dirty ipob dog!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Coronavirus: NAFDAC Approves Production Of Chloroquine For Clinical Trials / Common Unnoticed Causes Of Kidney Ailments. / Pharmacy Sells Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate For ₦50,000 In Port Harcourt, Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.