Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,686 members, 7,820,389 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? (956 Views)

Poll: Please Indicate Your City Of Residence - and help with flyers in your City for 1st October March in Your City, in line with the main March in Lagos.

Abia - Umuahia: 0% (0 votes)
Adamawa - Yola: 0% (0 votes)
Akwa Ibom - Uyo: 9% (1 vote)
Anambra - Awka: 18% (2 votes)
Bauchi - Bauchi: 0% (0 votes)
Bayelsa - Yenagoa: 0% (0 votes)
Benue - Makurdi: 0% (0 votes)
Borno - Maiduguri: 0% (0 votes)
Cross River - Calabar: 0% (0 votes)
Delta - Asaba: 0% (0 votes)
Ebonyi - Abakaliki: 0% (0 votes)
Edo - Benin City: 0% (0 votes)
Ekiti - Ado Ekiti: 0% (0 votes)
Enugu - Enugu: 0% (0 votes)
Gombe - Gombe: 0% (0 votes)
Imo - Owerri: 18% (2 votes)
Jigawa - Dutse: 0% (0 votes)
Kaduna - Kaduna: 0% (0 votes)
Kano - Kano: 0% (0 votes)
Katsina - Katsina: 0% (0 votes)
Kebbi - Birnin Kebbi: 0% (0 votes)
Kogi - Lokoja: 9% (1 vote)
Kwara - Ilorin: 0% (0 votes)
Lagos - Ikeja: 27% (3 votes)
Nasarawa - Lafia: 0% (0 votes)
Niger - Minna: 0% (0 votes)
Ogun - Abeokuta: 0% (0 votes)
Ondo - Akure: 0% (0 votes)
Osun - Oshogbo: 0% (0 votes)
Oyo - Ibadan: 18% (2 votes)
Plateau - Jos: 0% (0 votes)
Rivers - Port-Harcourt: 0% (0 votes)
Sokoto - Sokoto: 0% (0 votes)
Taraba - Jalingo: 0% (0 votes)
Yobe - Damaturu: 0% (0 votes)
Zamfara - Gusau: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

'I Am Capable & Strong To Do What Young People Do' - Gov Oshiomole / Terrorism: Kenyans Urge Leader To Save Their Country From Becoming Like Nigeria / 10 Governor Plan To Leave APC and PDP To Labour Party to save their jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by JamesG: 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2009
In an ideal democracy this poll https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-303262.0.html would be valid - but not in Nigeria. The Yar'Adua government is not even aware (or they conveniently choose not to be aware) of the problems in Nigeria as evident in their rebuttal statement on Clinton’s criticism of the Nigerian leadership and polity. http://allafrica.com/stories/200908140747.html

With all due respect to @poster, I think the poll (or suggestion box) should be how do we ensure that these croocked clowns are not returned to office come next election – how do we ensure that those we elect truly understand what democracy is – Government of the People By the People. Furthermore, for the constitutional literates in this Forum, how do we throw out the Judiciary members – they have made it possible for these unscrupulous politicians to dupe the Nigerian people with impunity.

For Starters I suggest we not only have a peaceful rally in Lagos on Independence day, but in all major state capitals - it is just not feasible for all concerned to get to Lagos on Oct 1st. This march will go a long way to tell the politicians that this' our country, and they work for us, and we are more than ready to kick them out.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by nex(m): 5:16pm On Aug 15, 2009
Nigerians have to be bold.

The Nigerian people together make up one of the strongest forces ever known to nature. If the USA should drop 5 nuclear bombs in Nigeria today, the Nigerian people will still remain. What effect compared to that has Chris Uba or Aloa Akala? Why do the Nigerian people fear them? How do they intimidate us?

We must be proactive.

We must take part in our own destiny. We mustn't trust anybody with the responsibility of ensuring our future. We mustn't wait till it pinches us personally before we act. We cannot wait for the Government to appeal to us to vote. We must stop believing our votes don't count. We must be at polling stations till the ballots are counted and we take records to compare with official announcement

We have to maintain Eternal Vigilance. Keep at alert, observing and taking action immediately in order to sustain our democracy, integrity and freedom.

We cannot afford to be ignorant, so everyone must seek enlightenment. Self education through reading, listening and browsing. How many lifetimes can it possibly take to read and understand the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, or the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria? We have to know. enLIGHTenment means to bring oneself into the light. So cannot remain in the darkness and pursue anything good.

@Poster

wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, I must get to Lagos October 1960 to make my statement to the government and the people of Nigeria. Yes. I mean 1960 because that is when our true independence as humans will begin. All we have been doing so far is a farce.

Hmmm, Nigeria!
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by blacksta(m): 5:21pm On Aug 15, 2009
Nigerians are weak, docile and are not interested in change. If were are really fed up with the situation then change would have occurred. Let us hope that more hardship should be visited on the masses and maybe then one will see a candle light measurement of change.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by sjeezy8: 9:03pm On Aug 15, 2009
Nigerians aren't ready for change, the poor complain but when they become rich they sing the same tune as the corrupt Government.  The poor complain about corruption, but when they get rich, they go to those same corrupt politicians to get million dollar contracts approved.

SO yea Nigerians can only save democracy by not selling the whole of Nigeria short. (the governement can only do what we allow them to do.)

Nigerians have to change that selfish state of mind- Nigerian Democracy isn't democracy at all, everyone in Nigeria should read carefully into what democracy is.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by JamesG: 3:26am On Aug 16, 2009
blacksta:

Nigerians are weak, docile and are not interested in change. If were are really fed up with the situation then change would have occurred. Let us hope that more hardship should be visited on the masses and maybe then one will see a candle light measurement of change.

I completely agree with you – few months back I’ll say the same, I can survive under this same gloomy state of Nigeria as seen by the average guy. The more I see Nigeria as hopeless, the more I want to, in some small way contribute to doing something about it – because it is my country. As long as you were born in Nigeria & grew up in Nigeria, no matter where you go, you will still want to come home some day. And when you do after a few years in the Diaspora, you’ll weep for the country. We must all do something positive – no matter how small that might be.

Make some flyers with your printer leave them at strategic places at night without being caught – this way those without internet access will know when the rally will take place in Lagos. We probably need to some how find out the demography of the ~400k Nairalanders. With the hope that there will be people from all 36 state capitals to put the word out, that there’ll be a peaceful march on Independence day. We should all carry placards displaying our contentions.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by nex(m): 8:18am On Aug 16, 2009
@Blacksta

don't just condemn. What can be done?

@JamesG

I'll print some fliers.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by JamesG: 3:16pm On Aug 16, 2009
For those who have not seen the Nigerian 1999 Constitution, please download it and study Chapter IV - Fundamental Rights Of Nigerians.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#Powers_of_Federal_Republic_of_Nigeria

I have attached Chapter IV herein,

Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On Aug 16, 2009
blacksta:

I agree with you, and I am of the mind that more hardship might be what is needed to wake folks up to the reality of things.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by JamesG: 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I agree with you, and I am of the mind that more hardship might be what is needed to wake folks up to the reality of things.

Bro, have some empathy for your fellow Nigerian and for the Nation – most Nigerians can not even get on this forum to voice their concern about the deterioration of this country. We Nairalanders must make some difference that effect positive change for all Nigerians – lets start this grass root movement now.

If you can’t print flyers, buy a cheap SIM (anonymously – prepaid), text the info of the rally to people in your contact, or as many people as you can. Do this on the 30th of September to remind people of the peacefully march. After all, we are the “Folks” – we must hold our elected officials accountable for their actions. If this and other rallies don’t take place they will have nothing to fear.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2009
JamesG:

Bro, have some empathy for your fellow Nigerian and for the Nation – most Nigerians can not even get on this forum to voice their concern about the deterioration of this country. We Nairalanders must make some difference that effect positive change for all Nigerians – lets start this grass root movement now.

If you can’t print flyers, buy a cheap SIM (anonymously – prepaid), text the info of the rally to people in your contact, or as many people as you can. Do this on the 30th of September to remind people of the peacefully march. After all, we are the “Folks” – we must hold our elected officials accountable for their actions. If this and other rallies don’t take place they will have nothing to fear.

Wanting change has absolutely nothing to do with posting opinions on forums. Most of those on here who scream they want change are themselves not implementing it in their own lives. So, not until the day we as individuals decide enough is enough, things are likely not to go anywhere no matter how many times we post we are ready for change.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by SapeleGuy: 5:50pm On Aug 16, 2009
First thing, Nigeria's democracy was stolen in 1966, since then we have had demoncrazy, so there is nothing to save. The constitution to which you refer is against our fundamental human rights as it legitimises the stealing of our natural resources.
The people we are dealing with don't respond to peaceful protests, they only understand one language (fire to fire) and leafletting and long grammar isn't it.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by THEAMAKA(f): 7:40pm On Aug 16, 2009
Arise, O compatriots, Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.

Oh [/s]God[s] Allah of creation, direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace and justice shall reign.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by JamesG: 9:42pm On Aug 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Wanting change has absolutely nothing to do with posting opinions on forums. Most of those on here who scream they want change are themselves not implementing it in their own lives. So, not until the day we as individuals decide enough is enough, things are likely not to go anywhere no matter how many times we post we are ready for change.

There are ~ 400k members on Nairaland, with majority posting in the politics section – most postings indicate total dissatisfaction with Nigerian polity. Is there any other forum you can get these number of people wanting the same thing as it relates to Nigerian issues? I really doubt it – this is why this makes for a place to seek solution to that which most Nigerians can relate to as a problem with our country.

But I do respect your opinion – we all have our reasons for wanting to do something, no matter how small it might be – or do absolutely nothing. Furthermore, are you making some changes in your life that has or will positively affect the state of Nigeria - would you like to share some of these little steps with this forum? Maybe we too can do the same.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by Kobojunkie: 10:08pm On Aug 16, 2009
JamesG:

There are ~ 400k members on Nairaland, with majority posting in the politics section – most postings indicate total dissatisfaction with Nigerian polity. Is there any other forum you can get these number of people wanting the same thing as it relates to Nigerian issues? I really doubt it – this is why this makes for a place to seek solution to that which most Nigerians can relate to as a problem with our country.

I am not arguing the possible potential of Nairaland to your cause. I simply agreed with the poster who said that Nigerians are not ready for change.

JamesG:
But I do respect your opinion – we all have our reasons for wanting to do something, no matter how small it might be – or do absolutely nothing. Furthermore, are you making some changes in your life that has or will positively affect the state of Nigeria - would you like to share some of these little steps with this forum? Maybe we too can do the same.

Again, I have not in anyway stated that you should do nothing. I simply stated that I believe Nigerians are not ready for change from what I have observed and it may take more suffering for people to actually wake up to reality of things as they really are.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 17, 2009
first their must be a democracy to save, what we have in nigeria is not democracy, re-phrase your question to be 'what can nigerian do to attain democracy ? the answer is simple change our system of government from 'mallamocracy' to democracy.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by JamesG: 3:54pm On Aug 17, 2009
govo:

first their must be a democracy to save, what we have in nigeria is not democracy, re-phrase your question to be 'what can nigerian do to attain democracy ? the answer is simple change our system of government from 'mallamocracy' to democracy.

The 1999 Constitution contains all that makes a system of government democratic - but the elected and appointed officials have completely ignored the constitution in the execution of their duties. The constitution defines Nigeria as a Democratic State, and that's what we need to save. To do this we must throw those we elected to uphold the constitution but have not done so, out!

Nigerians should take the time to read the constitution - this way they'll know what they are fighting for. People buy news papers everyday to read cheap talking points, and get swayed by the same - they should instead acclimate themselves with the 1999 constitution to be able to discern more accurately where our elected officials have failed us - Knowledge is power! If you know what the problem is, you can solve it. Nigerians are intelligent people, but we continue to allow clowns rule us with force and tyranny. You don't always have to fight with arms - Ghandi, MLK, and Mandela, proved that to us under the most difficult conditions. Our constitution tells the rest of the world that we have democracy - so lets uphold it. If you can't understand it find somebody who can to explain it to you - or better yet, post sections not clear to you in this forum. I am certain it will be explained to you. Don't forget the constitution affords you the right to free speach and assembly - chapter IV.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by Witi(m): 4:49pm On Aug 17, 2009
Break Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by JamesG: 11:49pm On Aug 17, 2009
Witi:

Break Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please explain!

I hope you are not also proposing a break up of this Nation - are you?
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by Witi(m): 10:27am On Aug 18, 2009
JamesG:

Please explain!

I hope you are not also proposing a break up of this Nation - are you?
Yes of course what are we waiting for. It is evident that we are not compatible at all.
Re: What Can The Nigerian People Do To Save Their Democracy? by Kobojunkie: 10:33am On Aug 18, 2009
Witi:

Yes of course what are we waiting for. It is evident that we are not compatible at all.

That is not what the evidence shows. As a matter of fact, it mostly shows that we are a nation of dullards willing to sit back expecting the next group to do it all for all, else we pull out the next excuse we can from our arses for the next stupid solution we present. Come on!!! Have you even lifted a finger to TRY make it work? NEVER!!! Not according to the history of that country. Have you ever lifted a finger to ENSURE it does not work at all? I BET YOU 100% that you have at some point. So here is the deal. If you do not try at all to make things work but willingly do what you can to make it NOT work, then what do you expect to happen? The gods to magically fix things while you continue to do all you can to break it all apart?

(1) (Reply)

Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal / Pdp Blasts Tinubu Over Efcc Problem ! / Senate Refuses To Admit Igbeke Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.