Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History (33194 Views)

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List / Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? / When The ‘other Woman’ Triumphs: A Literary Review Of Toke Makinwa’s On Becoming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by sweetetlove(f): 9:41am On May 17, 2016
kannymoore:
before Chinua Achebe, Cyprian ekwensi, Wole Soyinka, Flora Nampa and the rest of them, arrived on the literary scene in the 60's, I believe that honor should be given to the forerunner of them all....AMOS TUTUOLA : whose classical novel of magic realism " The Palmwine Drinkard", opened the floodgates of African ( not just Nigerian) writers works to be published in in the West.
he may not be the greatest of them all, but he surely does deserve to be amongst the top 10.
my humble opinion.
kannymoore:
before Chinua Achebe, Cyprian ekwensi, Wole Soyinka, Flora Nampa and the rest of them, arrived on the literary scene in the 60's, I believe that honor should be given to the forerunner of them all....AMOS TUTUOLA : whose classical novel of magic realism " The Palmwine Drinkard", opened the floodgates of African ( not just Nigerian) writers works to be published in in the West.
he may not be the greatest of them all, but he surely does deserve to be amongst The top 10.
my humble opinion.
I agree with you

1 Like

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by stubbornman(m): 9:43am On May 17, 2016
Zico5:
So the op could only point to two yoruba among the greatest literary writers in Nigeria. Even picking chinua achebe above wole soyinka, the Nobel prize winner speaks volume of the intention of the op. We yoruba don't boast, we just allow our work to speak. It shall be well.
Men nobody is making comparisons here ,they're all Nigerians but on a contrary Chinua Achebe is just too good
and for the records Yoruba guys can boast ehn....Ahhhhhh!!! cheesy

6 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by itodoho(m): 9:47am On May 17, 2016
Isidore okpewho, gabriel okara, j. P clark rank among the greatest.
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 9:47am On May 17, 2016
Adaobi12:
This shows the level of moral decay among nigerian youths.
Their books helped Nigerian students, as an entertainment, educative piece.Guess you didn't do literature in school.
if it were to be list of nigerian musicians and their frivolous lifestyle, you won't make this comment. God help us.

Op you missed Jp clark, isdore okpewho.

Isidore Okpewho is a literary wizard!!!!! I love that man!!!!!
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by stubbornman(m): 9:50am On May 17, 2016
Amberon:
I remember meeting Wole Soyinka's "supposed" friend at Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport in 2011. This man started giving us Wole 's history and his too while speaking grammar that I had never heard before in my life.

He explained how Wole first wrote down the book "The Man Died" on "tissue papers" because he was too broke to buy an actual note book.

Been wondering if it was true.
you for punch that man for eye.....Nna which kin lie be this nah
I yam shocked ,that no be Soyinka friend at allllllllllllllllkkkk
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 9:52am On May 17, 2016
itodoho:
Isidore okpewho, gabriel okara, j. P clark rank among the greatest.

I will rather you remove Gabriel Okara!!!!!

I wonder why the OP included Adichie and left out great writers like Okpewho, Clark, Chukwuemeka Ike, Niyi Osundare (mostly known for his interesting poetry), Femi Osofisan (mostly known for his powerful plays)...
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 9:53am On May 17, 2016
folksync:

Isidore Okpewho is a literary wizard!!!!! I love that man!!!!!
The guy sure has a great literary skills.

Nairalanders pls am searching for sites where i can download African novels. full versions not preview copies. pls anyone with an idea?

1 Like

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 9:54am On May 17, 2016
stubbornman:

Men nobody is making comparisons here ,they're all Nigerians but on a contrary Chinua Achebe is just too good
and for the records Yoruba guys can boast ehn....Ahhhhhh!!! cheesy

But never as good as Soyinka!!!!! It is not about the tribe. And I aren't making mouth!!!!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 9:57am On May 17, 2016
Adaobi12:
The guy sure has a great literary skills.

Nairalanders pls am searching for sites where i can download African novels. full versions not preview copies. pls anyone with an idea?

Me too O!!!!! I am looking for such a site!!!!! In case, you get!!!!!
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by stubbornman(m): 9:59am On May 17, 2016
folksync:

But never as good as Soyinka!!!!! It is not about the tribe. And I aren't making mouth!!!!!
please never you say "never as good" they maybe on same range...and if you pay attention you'll realise that comparing these two doesn't even make brain
they are great writers!!
anybody can make a list...but this my dear is a fair list

1 Like

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 10:14am On May 17, 2016
stubbornman:

please never you say "never as good" they maybe on same range...and if you pay attention you'll realise that comparing these two doesn't even make brain
they are great writers!!
anybody can make a list...but this my dear is a fair list

This is not a fair list!!!!! It is an insult to African literature to place Achebe over writers like Soyinka and Ekwensi just because he published one hyped novel!!!!!

Mind you, I am not discrediting Achebe's achievements!!!!! Sorry, Soyinka should top that list, followed by the late Cyprian Ekwensi!!!!! If you think it is that easy to win a Nobel prize, why haven't we had a Nigerian winner since after Soyinka South Africans have had a second after Nadine Gordimer!!!!! The last time Achebe published anything mighty was in the 60s with Arrow of God!!!!!

Also, what is Adichie doing on the list!!!!! Does she even come close to JP Clark who was left out of the list And what is Akachi also doing there A wonderful professor and a great writer, but not deserving a place on that list that should have included masters like Okpewho, Chukwuemeka Ike and many others!!!!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by DropShot: 10:21am On May 17, 2016
playtheblues:
Can you even write an essay about yourself?

Yes, I can.

Next?
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Politicalidiot: 10:26am On May 17, 2016
AyamConfidence:
I've read books from almost all those writers before phone and Nairaland came into my life and took away my reading culture... I need to go back to the former times...I've read books by Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adichie, Flora Nwapa, Ola Rotimi, Cyprian Ekwensi, and Buchi Emecheta .......those books made me more knowledgeable.... God bless those great people....I will build a library for my kids which must contain great works from these writers

(does anybody beat my record?? I don't think so)

You will build.? I already have a personal collection of over 200novels and story books. I have ar least 1 novel from each writer there. But this online thing has really killed my reading culture. See books like Harry Potter (hope u know how fat it is) I read in 3 days. Now 2 weeks and am not done. All thanks to the Internet and blog posts. lol. The question now is, how do we revive our reading culture.
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by stubbornman(m): 10:30am On May 17, 2016
folksync:

This is not a fair list!!!!! It is an insult to African literature to place Achebe over writers like Soyinka and Ekwensi just because he published one hyped novel!!!!!

Mind you, I am not discrediting Achebe's achievements!!!!! Sorry, Soyinka should top that list, followed by the late Cyprian Ekwensi!!!!! If you think it is that easy to win a Nobel prize, why haven't we had a Nigerian winner since after Soyinka South Africans have had a second after Nadine Gordimer!!!!! The last time Achebe published anything mighty was in the 60s with Arrow of God!!!!!

Also, what is Adichie doing on the list!!!!! Does she even come close to JP Clark who was left out of the list And what is Akachi also doing there A wonderful professor and a great writer, but not deserving a place on that list that should have included masters like Okpewho, Chukwuemeka Ike and many others!!!!!
I understand you man ..I guess you have not read "there was a country by Achebe" as well as all the controversies surrounding the book as regards to its message its a recent write up by Achebe...bro Soyinka's achievement is beneficiary to all Nigerians as well as the Achebe's too....the people you listed over Adichie are powerful writers but like I said this is the Op's opinion...you can proffer a counter thread for us to see too...you're well informed...kudos
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by ourkobo: 10:31am On May 17, 2016
Orikinla:

[size=28pt]Your fada is more Ode than you.
When Chimamanda wins the Man Booker Prize, then you can open your dirty mouth.
You can never even come close to me in the literary world, cinema and even blogging.
Amazon.com: Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi: Books, Biography, Blog ...
www.amazon.com/Michael-Chima-Ekenyerengozi/e/B00JCNHUIG
8 Results - Nollywood Mirror by Ekenyerengozi, Michael Chima (2013) Paperback. $141.35. Paperback. NOLLYWOOD MIRROR® Second Edition (NOLLYWOOD ...

Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi | Shadow and Act - Indiewire

blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/author/michael-chima-ekenyerengozi
Jun 9, 2015 - Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi. Articles by Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi(1 - 10 of 22). Shadow and Act. 2 comments. like. 0. tweet. Nollywood

[/size]

If u are a professional writer as you claim, you should know that you should write in a way ur readers should understand.
Writing in big and bold font shows how naive you are.
You are only making a mess of your points instead of making us understand.
Think about it and quote me back with a readable font thanks

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Nobody: 10:34am On May 17, 2016
stubbornman:

I understand you man ..I guess you have not read "there was a country by Achebe" as well as all the controversies surrounding the book as regards to its message its a recent write up by Achebe...bro Soyinka's achievement is beneficiary to all Nigerians as well as the Achebe's too....the people you listed over Adichie are powerful writers but like I said this is the Op's opinion...you can proffer a counter thread for us to see too...you're well informed...kudos

Thanks, bro!!!!! I will try and get Achebe's "There Was A Country"
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by absalut: 10:36am On May 17, 2016
DropShot:
There are only two as far as I'm concerned:

1. The winner of a Nobel Peace Prize in Literature, Professor Wole Soyinka.

2. The rest.

Running out quickly to dodge missiles.
grin cheesy grin cheesy

as the Brits excused themselves, another group has risen amongst us. They believe they are white>yoruba>rest of Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by stubbornman(m): 10:36am On May 17, 2016
Politicalidiot:

You will build.? I already have a personal collection of over 200novels and story books. I have ar least 1 novel from each writer there. But this online thing has really killed my reading culture. See books like Harry Potter (hope u know how fat it is) I read in 3 days. Now 2 weeks and am not done. All thanks to the Internet and blog posts. lol. The question now is, how do we revive our reading culture.
its a cankerworm in the society I can't even read as long as I should without touching my fone to read silly update .... I wish there was a way to revive our reading habit.....as a boy I was known for my reading habit rather than writing but now am not sure
we can not tell the young ones to read if we have not been reading
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by stubbornman(m): 10:39am On May 17, 2016
folksync:

Thanks, bro!!!!! I will try and get Achebe's "There Was A Country"
you're welcome man.....have a great day!!
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by sykah(f): 10:39am On May 17, 2016
Shivers , they bring back lovely memories. Read most of their books
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by absalut: 10:43am On May 17, 2016
crotonite:
Mostly igbos, maka y?
this not so important
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by prodigy97(m): 10:49am On May 17, 2016
I think this list is flawed, I love adichie's work especially purple hibiscus but I doubt if she deserves the no 3 spot.Soyinka's work cut across all genres of literature and being a Nobel Laurette winner I think he is the greatest of them all.my opinion though
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by fabre4: 10:49am On May 17, 2016
Zico5:

My God see response. But if it is chinua achebe that got the prize, u will praise him to the highest heaven. So Nobel prize is just an award, I don't blame u but ur reasoning. Go and google those influential people that have taken the award and their antecedents. U need knowledge.

Definitely I need knowledge but not from someone that confines literary world to Nobel prize Iam sure you haven't even read up to 3 of Soyinka books and you mentioning Achebe in your quote says a lot about the motive behind it and FYI literature isn't about Nobel prize

2 Likes

Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by MsGlobalwonder(f): 10:57am On May 17, 2016
eitsei:
I think the title would have been better called top igbo writers in Nigeria tongue
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by MsGlobalwonder(f): 10:58am On May 17, 2016
Akshow:
Op Pls Google zainab alkali and Abubakar gimba. And again, there is only one nobel prize winner of literature, he is the number one. His works cuts across all literary genre, unlike chinua achebe that only writes prose fiction.
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by MsGlobalwonder(f): 11:02am On May 17, 2016
Afromalaika:

I shouldn't have dignified a response to a bleak mind but I guess u needed to be informed and thus my response.
Have you ever heard of D.O. Fagunwa, Mamman Vatsa, Akilu Aliu, Dan Fulani, Abimbola Adelakun, Zainab Alkali,Uwem Akpan, Tolu Ajayi, Gabriel Okara. Etc.
I know some of the's names are strange to you probably because you don't carry out proper research before writing.
In view of this, You are strongly advised to change the misleading title from 10 Greatest writers in Nigerian History to 10 GREATEST WRITERS I PREFERED.
By so doing, nobody will crucify you.
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by benji93: 11:06am On May 17, 2016
fabre4:

Nobel prize is just an award every writer mustn't be presented with the award to be recognized as the best take a look at times most influential people in the world , richest people in the world, greats in every field of life how many of them have the award even uncle Shakespeare never got it that is to tell u that the award is limited to time and chance
How would shakespeare have won it? the nobel prize was first awarded in 1901. though i understand the politics that is sometimes involved in the awarding of the nobel prize to academicians, by and large, those awarded the nobel prize most probably produced some of the greatest works that have won widespread acclaim among their contemporaries, and for professor wole, an African, to win the prize among the lot in the 80's shows how much he distinguished himself internationally. As far as i am concerned it is either Prof tops any list of this kind or his name does not appear on the list at all. However OP should have stated his criteria for the list, Is it how much the literary writing ofa wordsmith appeals to the academic discourse community, or how much it appeals to people in general. Also why would chiamanda come before ola rotime, they did not live in the same era.While these days there are so many literary awards, regionally for different genres of writing, it wasn ot the case during ola rotimi's time.
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by MsGlobalwonder(f): 11:07am On May 17, 2016
olushowunm:
Why do igbos like to re-write history? First Wole Soyinka should not be on that list as second. Instead you change the title and write it. "GREATEST BIAFRAN WRITERS IN HISTORY"
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by playtheblues(f): 11:15am On May 17, 2016
Start.

DropShot:

Yes, I can.

Next?
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by playtheblues(f): 11:19am On May 17, 2016
Wisdom is the principal thing. Get it.

DropShot:

You could have 9 persons not even measuring up to 1 person. Show me their Nobel Peace Prize, then I take you serious. tongue
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by monerozi5590: 11:30am On May 17, 2016
DropShot:
There are only two as far as I'm concerned:

1. The winner of a Nobel Peace Prize in Literature, Professor Wole Soyinka.

2. The rest.

Running out quickly to dodge missiles.
grin cheesy grin cheesy

U lied
Re: 10 Greatest Literary Writers In Nigeria History by Chukazu: 11:41am On May 17, 2016
asha90:
4 out of 10 are Anambrans..we lead the pack as always.

1. Chinua Achebe- (Ogidi)

2. Cyprian Ekwensi- (Nkwelle-Ezunaka)

3. Chimamanda Adichie- (Abba)

4. Akachi Adimorah- (Uga)

Anambra, truly the light of the entire black race.

I think it has to do with Onitsha been the center of book publishing in Nigeria previously, don't know about now

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Faceless By Amma Darko / Circle Of Three. / Love, No Inhibitions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.