Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,124 members, 7,821,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

I Have Asperger’s Syndrome. How Can I Serve God As An Aspie? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Have Asperger’s Syndrome. How Can I Serve God As An Aspie? (838 Views)

How to Give your Gifts to God as recommended by Jesus Christ / Pope Francis Hosts Feathered Serpent God As Part Of Deity Exchange Program / When Is The Right Time To Serve God: Young Or Old Age? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Asperger’s Syndrome. How Can I Serve God As An Aspie? by turboG: 1:19am On May 15, 2016
I have Asperger’s Syndrome. How can I serve God as an Aspie? As a Christian with Asperger’s, shouldn’t I be able to overcome it?

First, you should always remember that God loves you and you are “remarkably and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14, HCSB). You are made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27). It’s also important that you not view Asperger’s Syndrome as a disability; as an Aspie, you simply have a different way of thinking. You process information differently. It’s true that Asperger’s Syndrome brings its own set of challenges in life, but your relationship with Jesus is based on His grace, not your condition.

The Bible is the guidebook for all of us, regardless of whether or not we have Asperger’s Syndrome. Scripture is capable of thoroughly equipping you for every good work (2 Timothy 3:17), regardless of your Asperger’s. Philippians 2:12 says, “Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.” This means you should keep on growing in your walk with God. Keep studying the Bible, keep praying, and keep trusting Jesus.

Asperger’s is real, but it doesn’t have to be your identity. As a Christian, “your life is now hidden with Christ in God. . . . Christ . . . is your life” (Colossians 3:3–4). You may have Asperger’s, yet you can still be an obedient child of God.

Don’t allow Asperger’s to numb your sensitivity to God’s Word. Remember that, in the ministry, some level of social interaction is necessary. Fulfillment of the Great Commission entails some measure of personal contact. Interacting with others may be outside your comfort level, but you can do all things through Christ who gives you strength (Philippians 4:13). Set goals in regards to social interaction, and pray for God’s strength. Nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37). You don’t have to be somebody you’re not; just be the person God created you to be, grow in the Lord (2 Peter 1:5 – cool, and be a light to those around you (Matthew 5:16).

As a believer with Asperger’s, you are part of the Body of Christ. “Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body . . . and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many” (1 Corinthians 12:12–14). Not only is interaction beneficial within the Body of Christ, it is needed. Better yet, you are needed! You make up one of these many parts of the Body of Christ, and those in the church need you.

Second Peter 1:1–11 is worth some study, because it shows us what the Lord gives us as we grow in our faith and trust in Him. What we gain in Him far surpasses any discomfort we may experience, and He has given us everything we need to live godly lives for Him.

God gives us all different gifts and abilities, and He has given you gifts and abilities, too. The Lord is aware of your Asperger’s; in fact, He knows exactly what you struggle with and the trouble you have in social and sensory areas. Pray to the Lord and ask Him to use you the way you are. God may give you a ministry that requires little or no social interaction, or He may place you somewhere that will stretch your comfort level. Either way, He will help you follow Him, giving you opportunities to serve Him in ways that will use your talents and gifts.

Don’t despair! There is a place for you. Just ask God to reveal it to you. Tell Him you want to honor Him by being Christlike (remembering that Christlikeness is found in humility and other internal virtues, not just service) and be willing to be used by the Lord. Then ask Him to put you somewhere where you can best glorify God.

To paraphrase Romans 8:37–39, “We are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that Asperger’s Syndrome (or anything else) will never be able to separate me from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

http://www.divdel.com/blogs/2016/03/i-have-aspergers-syndrome-how-can-i-serve-god-as-an-aspie/
Re: I Have Asperger’s Syndrome. How Can I Serve God As An Aspie? by Nobody: 1:51am On May 15, 2016
turboG:

First, you should always remember that God loves you and you are “remarkably and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14, HCSB)

It's funny how Christians contradict themselves and are still blind to their contradictions. How does a perfect being create a disordered and abnormal creation?
If God loves someone, then why does he create them with disorders and abnormalities? Is a remarkable and wonderful creation not supposed to be remarkable and wonderful? What's remarkable about having Asperger's syndrome?

turboG:
You are made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27). It’s also important that you not view Asperger’s Syndrome as a disability; as an Aspie, you simply have a different way of thinking. You process information differently. It’s true that Asperger’s Syndrome brings its own set of challenges in life, but your relationship with Jesus is based on His grace, not your condition.

Sigh. Another contradiction. If you are created in the image of God, then it means God also suffers from Asperger's syndrome. undecided
And how come we are created in the image of God, but yet think, look and act differently? Does God have various images?

turboG:
The Bible is the guidebook for all of us, regardless of whether or not we have Asperger’s Syndrome. Scripture is capable of thoroughly equipping you for every good work (2 Timothy 3:17), regardless of your Asperger’s. Philippians 2:12 says, “Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.” This means you should keep on growing in your walk with God. Keep studying the Bible, keep praying, and keep trusting Jesus.

Instead of suggesting proper medical and therapeutical care, the OP is suggesting words of counselling from an ancient book. Smh. What has working out salvation with fear and trembling got to do with aiding someone with Asperger's syndrome?

turboG:
God gives us all different gifts and abilities, and He has given you gifts and abilities, too. The Lord is aware of your Asperger’s; in fact, He knows exactly what you struggle with and the trouble you have in social and sensory areas. Pray to the Lord and ask Him to use you the way you are. God may give you a ministry that requires little or no social interaction, or He may place you somewhere that will stretch your comfort level. Either way, He will help you follow Him, giving you opportunities to serve Him in ways that will use your talents and gifts.

Wow, so God creates someone with a disorder and he knows and understands what the person is passing through, yet, he doesn't want to take it away? Lol. For someone who is said to be all loving and all caring, he expresses the direct opposite of love and care.

Do you know what it means to know and understand what someone is passing through? Have you ever seen a child at the terminal stages of a critical illness? Even if you can't feel the pain of the child, at least you can see the look of sadness and hopelessness on the faces of his parents. If you had the power to help that child, won't you cure him? But yet, God supposedly has all the power, and knows and understands, but still doesn't give a hoot. God is really good.

1 Like

Re: I Have Asperger’s Syndrome. How Can I Serve God As An Aspie? by turboG: 11:44am On May 15, 2016
Our God is un Heavens and He dors whatever That pleases Him. Psalm 115:3.
He does things for us to fear Him.
Eccl.3:15

Decker:

It's funny how Christians contradict themselves and are still blind to their contradictions. How does a perfect being create a disordered and abnormal creation?
If God loves someone, then why does he create them with disorders and abnormalities? Is a remarkable and wonderful creation not supposed to be remarkable and wonderful? What's remarkable about having Asperger's syndrome?

Sigh. Another contradiction. If you are created in the image of God, then it means God also suffers from Asperger's syndrome. undecided
And how come we are created in the image of God, but yet think, look and act differently? Does God have various images?

Instead of suggesting proper medical and therapeutical care, the OP is suggesting words of counselling from an ancient book. Smh. What has working out salvation with fear and trembling got to do with aiding someone with Asperger's syndrome?

Wow, so God creates someone with a disorder and he knows and understands what the person is passing through, yet, he doesn't want to take it away? Lol. For someone who is said to be all loving and all caring, he expresses the direct opposite of love and care.

Do you know what it means to know and understand what someone is passing through? Have you ever seen a child at the terminal stages of a critical illness? Even if you can't feel the pain of the child, at least you can see the look of sadness and hopelessness on the faces of his parents. If you had the power to help that child, won't you cure him? But yet, God supposedly has all the power, and knows and understands, but still doesn't give a hoot. God is really good.
Re: I Have Asperger’s Syndrome. How Can I Serve God As An Aspie? by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 15, 2016
turboG:
Our God is un Heavens and He dors whatever That pleases Him. Psalm 115:3.
He does things for us to fear Him.
Eccl.3:15

There is a title for a leader who does whatsoever pleases him, irrespective of the negative impact on the lives of people- Tyrant.

Cruel leaders like Stalin and Hitler also did whatsoever pleased them, but why are you against the decisions and actions of these leaders but you are somehow comfortable with God who shares similar traits with these people? Why?

Why does he want us to fear him? Only weak leaders use fear in coercing people to serve them. Why does God desperately require our service to the extent that he threatens us with eternal suffering? Would he be incomplete if we don't serve him?

People always say that if we don't worship God, that he will still remain God and that it doesn't add or remove anything from him, but I don't think that is true. I see God as a self obsessed narcissist who craves constant attention from his creation. And as it is with every narcissistic leader, they get angry when they are deprived of attention and exaltation, and that's exactly how God is. I mean, he said it himself.

Exodus 20:5: "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me"

(1) (Reply)

Funny Church Poster I Saw / We Need To Correct This! / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 15/03/17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.