Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,039 members, 7,828,645 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World (4746 Views)

Nigeria Among 10 Cheapest Places To Buy Petrol In The World – Punch / NNPC Boss, Baru Dispenses Petrol In Abuja (Photos) / Man Spends 12 Hours To Get 10 Liters Of Petrol In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by Dlionsheart: 1:10pm On May 16, 2016
@op,
Pls do well to include the minimum wages of this countries to balance it. It's only then I won't believe that you're being paid to deceive the masses.
Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by RipplesNigeria: 1:13pm On May 16, 2016
N16.5bn subsidy claims threaten FG, oil marketers’ romance

Modalities for resolving an outstanding N16.5 billion fuel subsidy claim may unsettle the fresh romance between the federal government and petroleum marketers, Ripples Nigeria has gathered.
On Wednesday, the Minister of State for Petroleum, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu announced that the government was jettisoning the old pump price of N86.50k per litre for a new ceiling of N145 per litre. The pronouncement surprisingly received the immediate support of the umbrella bodies of oil workers namely the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) and the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG).
Ripples Nigeria had exclusively reported that the endorsement of a price hike by the leadership of oil workers may not have been unconnected with the group’s move to win over the Buhari-led administration on the issue of outstanding subsidy payments. The report had also noted that with NUPENG/PENGASSAN support, the planned nation-wide strike to force a price reversal stood a risk of being still-born.
While the rapport between government and oil workers appears to be gathering momentum, investigations show that there is a brewing discontent on how government wants to resolve outstanding subsidy claims estimated at N16.5bn at the end of April.
Read also: Fuel price may scale N145/litre mark
At the root of the disenchantment is government’s appeal to oil marketers to forgo any further claims to subsidy since most of them still had very high inventory levels at the old rate of N86.50k, which when dispensed at the new rate of N145 leaves the marketers with sufficient profit margins to cancel out any claims to government indebtedness.
A source close to the Ministry of Petroleum said, “We have reached out to industry operators and are on the verge of reconciling their claims against the huge stocks which they had prior to the new price regime.
“The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) and Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, (PPPRA) are handling this matter on our behalf. Early findings reveal that most marketers may not have any genuine claims on us”
Investigations by Ripples Nigeria, however, show that marketers are displeased at what they consider attempts to deprive them of their earnings. A source who spoke on condition of anonymity said, “We think DPR and PPPRA are trying to play smart on this matter. If they had fore-knowledge of an impending price hike, what stopped them from auditing or reconciling our stocks?
“We find their actions deliberate and will press home our demands for what is legitimately ours in due course. It is unfair to draw conclusions without relevant statistics,” he added. https://ripplesnigeria.com/n16-5bn-subsidy-claims-threaten-fg-oil-marketers-romance/
Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by pwettiejay(f): 1:57pm On May 16, 2016
Too many English! No to #145/L
Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by Iblawi1: 2:02pm On May 16, 2016
great664:
Foolishness is a curse! OP now go back to the drawing board and rate those countries Minimum wage with our 18,000. Don't know who to blame in your case, your Zombiemsm has no cure again.

Now check the image below and google Non OPEC member minimum wage too...

cc Steadymind

Do you also know that this countries enjoy 24/7 power supply? Compare to our epileptic power here?

What about other infrastructure like Roads, Market, security etc?

Zombie is a disease

All the open members in your pics don't import refined oil. Nigeria is not in the same league.
Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by tempest01(m): 2:28pm On May 16, 2016
@OP nice research...but to show you are not doing a sponsored research, do rank the countries with indicators. I would like to see a minimum wage/ petrol price ranking, let's see where Nigeria falls into. Making your economic analysis without taking into account the purchasing power of money shows mischief and lack of sincerity on your part.

First convert the minimum wage to dollar at prevailing exchange rate. - remember to use the most accessible rate to the masses which is the black market rate.

@steadymind
Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by Frostty: 2:33pm On May 16, 2016
i so much feel d agony we nigerians r goin tru,i av said dis b4 and i will still say it again,instead of protestn 4 d hike in d price of pms,y cant we protest so dat our lawmakers can enact a law of capital punishment 4 dose stealn our mony.its until den we can start movin to whr we belong in d world.d corruptn dat av eatn so deep into our system is perpetrated by who,is it not d same civil servant or can dis polititians do it alone,if d useless labor leaders r not part of it y cant dey stage a protest or embark on strike dat dis law shld be enacted.useless set of people
Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by nduchucks: 3:12pm On May 16, 2016

1 Like

Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by jpphilips(m): 3:30pm On May 16, 2016
@OP
you have just a little clue of what is going on, you wrote that Nigeria exchanges crude for products, OBJ called it DSO, Jonathan called it OPA, Kachikwu called it DSDP. whatever the baptism is, its function has never changed. it is a fraction of our daily oil production that is exchanged for petroleum products. Ask Kachukwu where his DSDP oil is then you will understand why the government refused to pay Forex differential for imported products, (I hate to use the word Subsidy removal) because Kachikwu has not paid subsidy since last year, matter of fact, Nigeria made over N2.6b as over recovery in 6 weeks just few months ago, what has changed?
How can you remove what is not there?

Before you confront Kachikwu with this question, let me remind you that DSDP oil is not exposed to Forex differential at least to a large extent, so when Kachikwu landed a product of 77.6naira(depot price) the actual landing cost of that product was around 52 naira hence the over recovery at the time.
http://businesswire.ng/index.php/oil-crisis-nigerian-govt-gets-n2-6-billion-from-nnpc-fuel-marketers/
Can APC supporters and other well meaning Nigerians ask Kachikwu, WHERE IS YOUR DSDP OIL?

How can a government that made over recovery few months ago now rely on marketers for PMS supply? what has changed?
again Kachikwu is smart enough to know that asking marketers to go to the secondary market will mean two consequences for us.

1) Further weakening of the naira.
2) Increase in cost of all imported and local items in the market.

I was expecting that Kachikwu will not make oil import a free for all affair let alone sending everybody to the secondary market and claim competition will set in, all of them are buying from the same source at nearly the same price, in a union where price fixing is rampant so where will the competition come from?
Why has diesel not felt that competition since it was deregulated?

Kachikwu take my advise for free:

1) Explain to Nigerians what happened to your DSDP oil, that was where you lost 60% of your supply capability.
2) Explain to Nigerians what happened to the refinery feedstock lines where you lost nearly 40% of your supply capability and why you need the marketers back knowing the spiral economic consequence.

Allowing everybody to become an importer is a very bad idea, the quality of PMS will no longer be guaranteed, secondly, the importers are coming to the secondary market where most Nigerians are surviving on, foreign medical trips, vacations, importation of essential commodities, Nigerians are basically living off that market, it makes no logical sense sending those marketers there to further stifle that forex source, it is biting Nigerians already let alone when 400naira will exchange a dollar.

Your announcement alone has caused a 20% rise in the secondary market, predict what the next 8 months will hold.

This is what I propose;

Only marketers that have ties with upstream sector should provide petroleum products.
Total upstream will provide for Total downstream, Exxon will provide for Mobil downstream, NNPC will provide PPMC from whatever is left of your DSDP (ie if it is still there), Oando upstream will provide for Oando downstream, etc, big marketers can get an MOU with companies like ENI who are yet to have downstream impact in Nigeria, that is a sure way of getting forex for these guys at 199 and taking them off the secondary market will relieve a lot of pressure on the naira and the landing cost will be very cheap.

Sending marketers to the secondary market is double jeopardy for dead body. Do this if you want to succeed!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by sampsun(m): 3:53pm On May 16, 2016
Aside the minimum wage difference, did anyone noticed the cheapness of the commodity in the oil producing states.

Meanwhile, NNPC that is producing and refining the commodity locally are selling at 145per/litre.

Who is more fraudulent, NNPC or Oil marketers.
Re: At ₦145/L Price, Nigerians Buy One Of The Cheapest Petrol In The World by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 16, 2016
I don't care!!

All I know is that by 2019, if I'm still buying petrol above 100 naira.. APC can forget my support and vote..

And I will use my money and sweat to campaign against them rigoursly..

The major reason I voted gej out is because of corruption and I perceived he would increase fuel price if he comes back again..

But if apc thinks they can scam me, they have another thing coming.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atiku Knocks Out Buhari In Enugu State / Meet Kano State CP "Wakili",Who Declined N100 Million Bribe During Kano Election / Coronavirus Will End In April, 2020.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.