Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? (8896 Views)

Lady Who Turned A Stripper To Pay Her School Fees Celebrates Graduation (Photos) / FUOYE Students And Indigenes Clash (Photos) / 5-Year-Old Boy Who "Repairs Motorcycles" In Makurdi Benue, To Raise School Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Nobody: 11:33am On May 16, 2016
Pavore9:
No. As long as any State receives monthly Allocation from the Federation Account it has no right to charge a higher fee.
so I must now share my state allocation with your state ?
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Nobody: 11:34am On May 16, 2016
Afritop:

DID IT HAPPEN TO A STATE SCHOOL OR UNIVERSITY
E no go pass state school na! Federal universities like federal colleges are unity schools!
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Sirmuel1(m): 11:34am On May 16, 2016
amzee:
Hey kid,have you eaten today?

Not again! grin grin
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Pavore9: 11:38am On May 16, 2016
Nalikedis:
so I must now share my state allocation with your state ?

It is not as if 100% of the allocation was generated from your state!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Nobody: 11:43am On May 16, 2016
Pavore9:

J
It is not as if 100% of the allocation was generated from your state!
This is why Nigeria is a big joke! When tribal bigotry have taken over commonsense of the average Nigerian,what do you expect? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by joey150(m): 12:02pm On May 16, 2016
despite we been Nigerians,we still identify with our states.

indigenes are always favoured over non indegenes.
in a club,members are nore favoured over non members.
in a country, citizens over non citizens
in a continent, continental members are favoured over non-continental members.
in football,taxes for uk players are diff from taxes for eu players and are also diff from taxes for non European players.

*here favoured dosent mean been partial. in terms of levies/fees/services you may just have to pay more

it is not rocket science... it is watching out for your own. because in the end your own contributes more to their own.
and you are just a visitor there.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by tripoli007(m): 12:06pm On May 16, 2016
Justdulla:
OP sharaap there joor,even in america, indigenes of a state are given preferential treatment over non indigenes...you Nigerians just make me sick you want everything to be either cheap or free what nonsense mentality...if you cant cope drop out and put your SSCE to use...u want cheap quality education indeed.....why not go to your state where ur an indigene and school there

Ur moniker says it all "justdullard" are you in anyway related to the Daura President.. Ode

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Genius101(m): 12:12pm On May 16, 2016
op if dat is unfair then what would u say abt catchment area
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by obioraval(m): 12:17pm On May 16, 2016
Justdulla:
OP sharaap there joor,even in america, indigenes of a state are given preferential treatment over non indigenes...you Nigerians just make me sick you want everything to be either cheap or free what nonsense mentality...if you cant cope drop out and put your SSCE to use...u want cheap quality education indeed.....why not go to your state where ur an indigene and school there

You and all those who liked your post just exhibited how illiterate you lot are. Do you understand the basis for being an indigent of a state in the US before you start blabbing and comparing to Nigeria.
Go research more on what it means to be an out of state student in the US, then come back let's talk and relate it to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Rayhutar(m): 12:24pm On May 16, 2016
Nigerians, after they will be shouting one Nigeria, those taking about UK and USA, have dull brain, in UK if somebody travel from Manchester to study in Aberdeen, will Aberdeen school charge the person extra fees because he/she is not from Aberdeen, in USA is there a different school fees for people from different US states,federal government should call those states to order with immediate effect!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by ayokellany: 12:33pm On May 16, 2016
Trina0936:
Op,this was the topic that made me quarrel with one of my friends. After they go they chant 'One Nigeria'. Rubbish! undecided

Should a state like Osun be subsuzing the education of Lagosians ? In as much as this act does not strength the bond of unity among Nigerian state it remain a policy in the right durection. You definitely do not have to fight anyone over this talk less of a friend. I can assure you some mischievous state governors would relegate education to the back burner should the policy be reverse just to exploit states that are serious with the education/welfare of there own indigenes. We all know how every Nigerian is an opportunist at circumventing constituted authority/policy.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by divinelove(m): 12:36pm On May 16, 2016
amzee:
It is unfair, unjust and a pure sign of disunity among ourselves as Nigerians, that because I'm not from a state and want to study there, I'm asked to pay higher fees than other students from that particular state.

Why is it so?

Let us discuss this properly because it is not helping our unity as a nation.

dts y it is called a state university, primarily for the state n its indigenes
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 16, 2016
ayokellany:

Should a state like Osun be subsuzing the education of Lagosians ? In as much as this act does not strength the bond of unity among Nigerian state it remain a policy in the right durection. You definitely do not have to fight anyone over this talk less of a friend. I can assure you some mischievous state governors would relegate education to the back burner should the policy be reverse just to exploit states that are serious with the education/welfare of there own indigenes. We all know how every Nigerian is an opportunist at circumventing constituted authority/policy.
Every one isn't the same. Stop generalizing!

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by dam4wummy(m): 12:40pm On May 16, 2016
That's a way to show that ONE NIGERIA is just a talk of the mouth
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 16, 2016
Yes, until they meet the states residency requirements.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by overtlyderanged: 12:51pm On May 16, 2016
What exactly is fair in this life though?
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 16, 2016
Rayhutar:
Nigerians, after they will be shouting one Nigeria, those taking about UK and USA, have dull brain, in UK if somebody travel from Manchester to study in Aberdeen, will Aberdeen school charge the person extra fees because he/she is not from Aberdeen, in USA is there a different school fees for people from different US states,federal government should call those states to order with immediate effect!

Yes, there is as such as higher out of state school fees in the US until the student meets the states residency requirements.

Please do not argue this simple fact like a typical Nigerian unless like me you've paid these fees first hand.

"What is an in-state resident and out-of-state resident?

The education system in the United States is controlled by individual states, rather than by the federal government. Each state has its own “public” institutions that are run and funded by the state. Funding for these schools comes from the state residents in the form of taxes. As a result, these state residents are able to attend the public institutions at a lower cost than people who are not residents of the state. This cost to the state residents is referred to as in-state tuition. The cost to residents from other states is known as out-of-state tuition."

"
What is the cost difference on average between in-state and out-of-state tuition?

As discussed earlier, each state controls its own public colleges and institutions. Within each state there are many different public universities and colleges, and each institution of higher education can have a different tuition rate. Due to the challenges of varying tuition rates, it is impossible to give a one-size fits all answer regarding tuition rates.

However, the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) does offer data to allow you to compare in-state and out-of-stated tuition. For the 2010–2011 academic year, the average tuition for an in-state student at a four year public school for an undergraduate student was $6,752. The average tuition for an out-of-state student at a four year public school for an undergraduate student was $15,742. This means that, on average, it cost $8,990 more for students to attend a college or university in a state where they are not a resident.

The following tables show the cost differences for in-state and out-of-state students at the public colleges and universities in Maryland, Virginia, and District of Columbia for the 2012-2013 academic year."

https://heath.gwu.edu/state-vs-out-state-tuition

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Rayhutar(m): 1:01pm On May 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yes, there is as such as higher out of state school fees in the US until the student meets the states residency requirements.

Please do not argue this simple fact like a typical Nigerian unless like me you've paid these fees first hand.
Do Nigerian states have autonomy like USA states, In US a state have it own immigration law, diferent laws and systems etc that almost make the states look like a semi country, they should that in Nigeria also,then that when the states in Nigeria will have right to do so

3 Likes

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Nobody: 1:04pm On May 16, 2016
Rayhutar:

Do Nigerian states have autonomy like USA states, In US a state have it own immigration law, diferent laws and systems etc that almost make the states look like a semi country, they should that in Nigeria also,then that when the states in Nigeria will have right to do so

You are free to answer your own question, I'm not your errand boy.

I simply responded to the post that wrongly alleged that there is no tuition difference between us states.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Rayhutar(m): 1:08pm On May 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:

"What is an in-state resident and out-of-state resident?

The education system in the United States is controlled by individual states, rather than by the federal government. Each state has its own “public” institutions that are run and funded by the state. Funding for these schools comes from the state residents in the form of taxes. As a result, these state residents are able to attend the public institutions at a lower cost than people who are not residents of the state. This cost to the state residents is referred to as in-state tuition. The cost to residents from other states is known as out-of-state tuition."

"
What is the cost difference on average between in-state and out-of-state tuition?

As discussed earlier, each state controls its own public colleges and institutions. Within each state there are many different public universities and colleges, and each institution of higher education can have a different tuition rate. Due to the challenges of varying tuition rates, it is impossible to give a one-size fits all answer regarding tuition rates.

However, the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) does offer data to allow you to compare in-state and out-of-stated tuition. For the 2010–2011 academic year, the average tuition for an in-state student at a four year public school for an undergraduate student was $6,752. The average tuition for an out-of-state student at a four year public school for an undergraduate student was $15,742. This means that, on average, it cost $8,990 more for students to attend a college or university in a state where they are not a resident.

The following tables show the cost differences for in-state and out-of-state students at the public colleges and universities in Maryland, Virginia, and District of Columbia for the 2012-2013 academic year."

https://heath.gwu.edu/state-vs-out-state-tuition
At least they are talking about residency and paying of tax as a yardstick, in Nigeria if your parents is residing in a state he is also paying tax, so the children should not pay higher fees because of not been indigenous to that particular state.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by OlujobaSamuel: 1:13pm On May 16, 2016
op, life is not fair and can never be.
if life is fair, we should all be born same way and die same way
we should all share allocation equally, or base on population or needs, not on different standard.
am from osun, lasu was closed for months last year due to political reasons(internal and external), should my state be the one to accommodate their academic needs? should they be rejected because they are not from my state despite meeting the cutoff? should I as an indigent of osun run to Delsu because my governor ended the academic programs of some colleges in my state?
life is not fair, if life is fair, it should always give you your needs, even while you are at home sitting on, doing nothing.
life can never be fair.
it's all about price skimming, discrimination, penetration, depending on your perspective of it, that's, from the state or another state.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by histemple: 1:27pm On May 16, 2016
amzee:

My state governor is a lover of education. Non-indigenes pay higher in my state than indigenes but I'm just concerned about the saying that we are ''one nigeria'' abi no be so?

That we are "One Nigeria" is on paper. Even you knows that we are not one except on paper.

Which Easterner is a governor in a Northern state?
Which indigen if Ogun is a Governor in Ondo?
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by lomprico(m): 2:17pm On May 16, 2016
vicsoj007:
THAT MEANS, U SHOULD ALSO CONSIDER GOING TO YOUR OWNINDIGENOUS INSTITUTION FIRST... U WANT FOREIGNERS TO DEY COME MAGINALIZE DEM ABI
One nigeria indeed! undecided
University of liverpool don't take more fees from students from other towns like manchester as long as u are a citizen u pay a flat rate unless u r an international student.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by EazyMoh(m): 2:29pm On May 16, 2016
All federal government institutions have the same amount of school fees for students from all part of the country. Where you have this fee dichotomy is in state owned learning institutions.
This was necessary in order to make the state the state indigence to benefit more since every fund spent in running the school comes from their state's share of federal allocation. One more thing to note is that even in the state all students from different local governments pay the same amount no matter the location of the institution. So there you have it equity!
Some states my consider their neighboring states like Kano State and Jigawa. Kano University of Science and Technology fees are;
Kano indigenes 8k(now free)
Jigawa 36k
Other Nigerians 50+k
International 120k.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by adimsmt: 3:09pm On May 16, 2016
amzee:
It is unfair, unjust and a pure sign of disunity among ourselves as Nigerians, that because I'm not from a state and want to study there, I'm asked to pay higher fees than other students from that particular state.

Why is it so?

Let us discuss this properly because it is not helping our unity as a nation.

Big yes it is fair the reason is this, state universities was established to Carter for individual state's need with their tax revenues if your guidance don't live and pay taxes there you have to pay higher fees or you look for federal universities.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by nextstep(m): 3:17pm On May 16, 2016
I think it's fair. What is usually happening is that the state government subsidizes the cost of education for indigenes (or residents in some countries), in order to boost the number of indigenes who get higher education, which has important economic and social benefits. There is usually no compelling reason to do the same for non-indigenes/non-residents who, upon completing their education, would likely leave the state.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 16, 2016
Some persons ' reasoning though. What about those whose parents(non-indigenes) have worked and lived all their lives in that state? And what guaranty do you have that the indigenes won't migrate outside the state or even the country to work eventually? Myopic reasoning indeed!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by bringbackourGEJ: 3:52pm On May 16, 2016
It is fair. What happened to your own state of orijin?
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by snowblaq(f): 4:23pm On May 16, 2016
Owliver:
yes. we are also in one planet as a family doesn't mean you can stroll to Israel and get free education. unity in disunity
lol.....u r not nice sha...see ur example.... I don laff scatter
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by Owliver(m): 4:26pm On May 16, 2016
snowblaq:
lol.....u r not nice sha...see ur example.... I don laff scatter
I didn't even mention Pakistan.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by ayoolagr8ness(f): 5:34pm On May 16, 2016
It is not fair they pay lesser too..... Or every1 sud school in their state of origin too,period.
Re: Is It Fair For Non-indigenes Of A State To Pay Higher School Fees? by abbeyty(m): 5:40pm On May 16, 2016
EazyMoh:
All federal government institutions have the same amount of school fees for students from all part of the country. Where you have this fee dichotomy is in state owned learning institutions.
This was necessary in order to make the state the state indigence to benefit more since every fund spent in running the school comes from their state's share of federal allocation. One more thing to note is that even in the state all students from different local governments pay the same amount no matter the location of the institution. So there you have it equity!
Some states my consider their neighboring states like Kano State and Jigawa. Kano University of Science and Technology fees are;
Kano indigenes 8k(now free)
Jigawa 36k
Other Nigerians 50+k
International 120k.

imagine they even have separate fees for students who are not from Hausa states, what a country

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Are The First Five Universities In Nigeria / Absu Post Utme Sreening Test Result Out / How To Pass Waec Mathematics With Ease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.