Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,037 members, 7,956,845 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:30 PM

Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers (5943 Views)

Petrol Station Attendants Flaunt Buttocks As Marketing Strategy (Photos) / Report Any Filling Station Selling Petrol Above N87 To DPR Here / Fuel Scarcity: Petrol Attendants Lock Up Unruly Policemen In Akure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by riyenews(m): 10:50pm On Aug 17, 2009
riyenews@.com

Move over men in black, petrol station attendants in Nairaland are now the new money makers thanks to the inefficiency of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN). Once upon a time, it used to be that petrol station attendants pray for fuel scarcity so that vehicles can queue up for miles in front of their stations and they can charge more than the official pump price before selling the precious commodity to desperate motorists. But not anymore, petrol stations do not have to wait for the often chaotic days of scarcity (artificial or natural) to make an extra buck, because these days, thanks to the gross inefficiency of PHCN, power supply to millions of Nigerians is a mirage d people need petrol and diesel for their generators. Instead of long queue of vehicles, what you find at petrol stations nowadays is a stretch of jerry cans with their owners close by waiting to buy not kerosene but petrol. This is the dividend of democracy for petrol attendants from president Umaru Ya Adua. Other Nigerians are still waiting for their own democracy dividend.

The “extra fee” or “egunje” per jerry can is just N30, taking inflation into account, which is the same amount that Nairaland’s infamous policemen, who mount illegal road blocks every day, charge “danfo drivers” and other motorists. It all adds up to a pretty penny at the end of the day because more and more Nigerians are buying portable generators. The demand for petrol which has been described as the common denominator in the life of every Nigerian, rich or poor, has gone through the roof in Nairaland.

Owing a generator no longer confers any measure of affluence or status in Nairaland anymore because it is no longer a luxury but a necessity and it is dirt cheap thanks to the Chinese. By now Nigeria must rank as one of the leading countries in the world where the use of generators is very high. For many industries, it is no longer a case of putting PHCN on standby and generator as the main source, it is now “generator A” as main source and “generator B” as standby. PHCN is kaput.

Forget about the environmental impact of generators in terms of noise, pollution and even the possibility of explosions folks, this a boom time for petrol station attendants. They sell to men and women, old and young who storm the stations usually between 5 and 6 o clock in the evening with jerry cans of all sizes to buy few litres of fuel to power their generators. It had reached a point where sales of petrol to vehicles are now secondary to these stations. In any case it is now a familiar sight to see people open the boots of their vehicles, bring out jerry cans and join the queue because they have generators too! Attendants don’t even want to sell to vehicles any more. Nowadays there is a pump designated expressly for jerry cans. Folks, what we are seeing here is an emerging “industry” that is impervious to the global financial meltdown. The Chinese manufacturers, importers, the repairmen and petrol station attendants are not smiling but laughing hysterically all the way to the bank.

Razak Adewale is a petrol attendant in one of the many outlets of African Petroleum Plc in Lagos, and he told riyenews that the dismal power supply in Nigeria has been a real blessing that was not in disguise for him. It has been “open and direct”. Adewale said that he looks forward to going to work every morning with great anticipation unlike in the past when it used to be a drag. Before the “generator invasion” petrol stations were usually reluctant to sell petrol in jerry cans except during adverse scarcity in the country, but that rule of thumb as been overtaken by reality. Who does not know that Nairaland is in darkness?

The president promised Nigerians 6000 mega watts of electricity before December, but not a few Nigerians believe this would be possible. To some, it is a dream that cannot be realized (ala ti o le se). What is real is that petrol station attendants are making steady money. As you would have thought, Adewale does not want the power situation to improve in the country because it will reduce the demand for petrol. He does not see his wish as unpatriotic or selfish either because he wants his own share of the national cake. “Look” he says, “big men get loans from banks that they don’t pay back, doctors want people to be sick because that is the only way they can make money, just like lawyers who want people to get into trouble, while those in government are constantly looting, so why can’t I make something out of the present state of darkness in the country?” he queried. “Besides”, he added, “I want to buy my own generator too,”

If Adewale’s raison d etre makes sense in a bizarre sort of way, consider Felix Popoola, another petrol attendant who prefers to be called a “Petrol Clerk”. In Popoola’s considered view, president Ya’ Adua should scrap PHCN and forget about improving power supply and give every Nigerian a generator with a N2000 petrol voucher every week! When it was pointed out to Mr. Popoola that government doesn’t work that way and cannot be Santa Claus dishing out money to people, his reply was that as far as he is concerned his suggestion is the only viable solution at the moment since no solution has been found by government.

How can Nigeria get out of this present state of darkness? The answer, as everybody knows, is elementary, but in Nairaland, nothing is simple. Or why else has successive governments been absolutely powerless to tackle the problem of power supply successfully?
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by aieromon(m): 6:59am On Aug 18, 2009
Nice article.they re not the only ones smilin' to the bank though.the generator mechanics are also experiencing a boom in business.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Shaunscot(m): 7:40am On Aug 18, 2009
True talk my brother.
Where I buy fuel in Lawanson, Im charged 50 Naira.
I was surprised when I got to another filling station in that same surulere(Courtesy a friend) and I was charged a 100 Naira for filling my Jerry Can.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by yuppydon(m): 8:02am On Aug 18, 2009
This is actually a rip off, You can actually avoid paying a single extra cash when you fill your Jerry can by just spotting any vehicle or Taxi or bus driver that wants to fill his tank, simply give him the money and Jerrycan and he would pose to be the owner, he would fill his tank and your jerrycan and you get your petrol at no extra cost.
Its that simple

Lets be smarter
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by mahal(m): 8:10am On Aug 18, 2009
Every Nigerian is a potential Criminal.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by kshow1(m): 8:18am On Aug 18, 2009
yuppydon:

This is actually a rip off, You can actually avoid paying a single extra cash when you fill your Jerry can by just spotting any vehicle or Taxi or bus driver that wants to fill his tank, simply give him the money and Jerrycan and he would pose to be the owner, he would fill his tank and your jerrycan and you get your petrol at no extra cost.
Its that simple

Lets be smarter

Good talk.

@ topic : i feel the government can improve the power sector if a banned is placed on the importation of generators.With these the government saboteurs who make money from importers will sit tight and carry out the assignment that is assigned to them properly since they know the power outage will equally affect them.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by otukpo(f): 8:42am On Aug 18, 2009
it depends on the petrol station. one AP around me will even fight ontop of the egunje. they are notorious for that. But there is also a Mobil filling station down the same road, that dont collect any extra. I have never been asked for the egunje there, i dont know abt others. And in some cases, if u insist u are not paying any extra, they will leave u to go.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by xtremeidea(m): 8:54am On Aug 18, 2009
Sincerely this is terrible,  petrol attendants keep extorting us for having generators,  IS IT OUR FAULT THAT THE GOVERNMENT HAS FAILED IN ITS RESPONSIBILITIES? yet we still pay our bills,  imagine when i step out to buy fuel worth N200 for my small gen wey i dey manage only for the attendant to still collect N20 ontop my small N200 fuel. it is sad, Nigeria is gradually becoming a failed state!  cry cry cry who can come to our rescue? who can save naija from this catastrophic situation cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Donvilo(m): 9:15am On Aug 18, 2009
Mehn! This topic is very interesting. If care is not really taking, PHCN or whatever it is known as will become a thing of the past! So much for an electric power-starved country! Chei! Na waaoooo!!! shocked shocked sad
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Jarus(m): 9:34am On Aug 18, 2009
This is greed and inexcusable corruption.

Before dropping the money, I use to drag it as if it's more than N100. At times, I dribble them into selling the fuel and give them an amount equals to the value of fuel sold to me and ask them to challenge me. Although, they have their way most times, I don't submit to them easily. I don't aid corruption.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by lookmangiw(m): 9:38am On Aug 18, 2009
Nice article.they re not the only ones smilin' to the bank though.the generator mechanics are also experiencing a boom in business.

Infact you are more than right,some motor mechanics in my area have even turned to generator mechanics and you can hardly find any motor mechanics around my area anymore.They said it is more lucrative and money maker than even bank jobs nowadays.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by slaughter(m): 9:39am On Aug 18, 2009
Good talk.

@ topic : i feel the government can improve the power sector if a banned is placed on the importation of generators.With these the government saboteurs who make money from importers will sit tight and carry out the assignment that is assigned to them properly since they know the power outage will equally affect them.

Kshow1: this will never work in nigeria the only way out is to stop funding PHCN by govt ,and govt should stop the use of analog meter outrightly and every home should be supplied with digital meter 4 free, this will put PHCN out of business totally and they themselves i.e PHCN will quickly come out to suggest solution to the govt of the way out because they know the way out but because there is a collaboration btw PHCN and the govt such that the duo are making a lot of money from the darkness in the country they d govt makes a lot of money from sales of petrol especially to generators users at the same time the top govt officials are the ones importing generators into the country

PHCN on their own makes a lot of money from bringing exagerated bill , that is why when i applied to PHCN 4 digital after payment since April 2008 they refused bringing the meter after series of persuation one of d official told me that i shd not bother my self that the contry is not ripe enough 4 d use of digital meter. grin
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by kirkmikel: 9:48am On Aug 18, 2009
Nigeria we hail thee are you aware that our ex presido came on air publicly to declare that he never made promises to revive the power sector especially NEPA  grin  let us siddon look as things pan out in the next six years under Umoru by the special grace of God we will have fuel and gen set to power our TV sets or radios to hear what our future ex presido will sAy about project PHCN AND HIS 7 POINT AGENDA . sad.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Oluschenco(m): 9:54am On Aug 18, 2009
Reverse is the case here in Ibadan, although we also suffer from the cruel hands of PHCN, but we do not pay extra charges for the Petrol Station attendants.

I am against the ban of Exporting generators, because its some peoples occupation, its the duty of the Federal Government to make PHCN function properly, hence the patronage of generators will be low.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Donvilo(m): 10:05am On Aug 18, 2009
Jarus:

This is greed and inexcusable corruption.

Before dropping the money, I use to drag it as if it's more than N100. At times, I dribble them into selling the fuel and give them an amount equals to the value of fuel sold to me and ask them to challenge me. Although, they have their way most times, I don't submit to them easily. I don't aid corruption.
Yeah rite, Jarus. But remember, we are all one anonymous state here in NL. So, (although, I don't really mean to doubt ur ability to do rite things sha) who knows if u're really acting on what u said? undecided
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by GEW: 10:06am On Aug 18, 2009
mahal:

Every Nigerian is a potential Criminal.
really?
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by ReachRich(m): 10:11am On Aug 18, 2009
Yar'Adua are u reading this? Do something before Naija becomes a failed state.It is a pity. cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 18, 2009
Move over men in black, petrol station attendants in Nairaland are now the new money makers thanks to the inefficiency of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN). Once upon a time, it used to be that petrol station attendants pray for fuel scarcity so that vehicles can queue up for miles in front of their stations and they can charge more than the official pump price before selling the precious commodity to desperate motorists. But not anymore, petrol stations do not have to wait for the often chaotic days of scarcity (artificial or natural) to make an extra buck, because these days, thanks to the gross inefficiency of PHCN, power supply to millions of Nigerians is a mirage d people need petrol and diesel for their generators. Instead of long queue of vehicles, what you find at petrol stations nowadays is a stretch of jerry cans with their owners close by waiting to buy not kerosene but petrol. This is the dividend of democracy for petrol attendants from president Umaru Ya Adua. Other Nigerians are still waiting for their own democracy dividend.

The “extra fee” or “egunje” per jerry can is just N30, taking inflation into account, which is the same amount that Nairaland’s infamous policemen, who mount illegal road blocks every day, charge “danfo drivers” and other motorists. It all adds up to a pretty penny at the end of the day because more and more Nigerians are buying portable generators. The demand for petrol which has been described as the common denominator in the life of every Nigerian, rich or poor, has gone through the roof in Nairaland.

admin will be so happy

NL has become ubiquitous
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Jarus(m): 10:24am On Aug 18, 2009
Nairaland now equals Nigeria
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by mayrho(m): 10:31am On Aug 18, 2009
f'd up country if i may say excuse my language but why be say nothin just works
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by melikey(f): 10:45am On Aug 18, 2009
THIS ARTICLE IS SO FACTUAL
I cant help laffing at the findings thru the comments like charging 50 naira per can(ridiculous!!!)
and motor mechanics switching to gen repairers, its all so so sad,i always knew it would get to
a stage where it would become a serious business for petrol attendants even without fuel scarcity
An undeniable fact is that frustration level constantly rises due to power failure because nothing can
be more relaxing than just  knowing that u can go bak home after a HARD day's work or trials to meet electricity
without the constant noise pollution that gives one constant migraine(GOSH!), the feeling of a totally
reliable power system goes a long way in easing one psychologically, little wonder a lot of people would
rather stay in a country where basic ammenities(electricity,water supply,gas) are guaranteed,
doin shitty jobs that keeps them alive and pay their bills because in that case u know all u really have to
contend with in life is having a job and everything else u need falls in place thanks to the system that has u in mind
unlike when u have to constantly motivate yourself evrymonth towards payday and then u still have to deal with the
daily failures of your government, Lord help our leaders to help and care for us no matter the cost we even have to pay,
at least then we know the services re there for us, AMEN
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by ehie007(m): 10:49am On Aug 18, 2009
Its not compulsary to pay them the N30 or N50 charge, when buying fuel in jerry cans, its just a tip and tips are not compulsary, Me most times if i dont want to give them i wont give them, the ones that ask nicely i give them, but the ones that wants to do gra gra i dont, if they dont want to sell to me, then he wont sell to any other person on that machine,

had a little fight with one atendant one day, bought fuel in my jerry can, he refused to give me complete change, he didnt ask nicely for the tip, he wanted to take it by force, then i showed him my own madness, i didnt allow him sell on his machine, almost even pulled out his fuel nosel, until the manager came and was pleading,

i only give tips to those who ask nicely, same goes for police, i give them tips when they ask incely,

shocked cool
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by keletex2000(m): 10:54am On Aug 18, 2009
Its as simple as ABC, "HERE , NOTHING WORKS"
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by eyonigger(m): 11:02am On Aug 18, 2009
I do pay the 50 Naira cos the petrol station in Maryland I buy from, I am well known by the attendants, so if I dash 50 or not, they cant refuse selling, in fact I can do it in any petrol station.

Now you people dont really know whats happening. Mikano has been part of this problem we are facing with PHCN. They have settled their top officials in order to lessen the supply of power so that they can sell well. All telecomunication company here buys GEN from Mikano.

Stoppage in importation of Gen should come up, then we can see if something can work out from there.

Thats my own 50 naira.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by MrFixit3: 11:51am On Aug 18, 2009
Why all the fuss about the petrol attendants? The attendants are only using their koboko or egba (cane) on us. The police have their own, the doctors have their own even the housemaids have their own. My friend use to say we are celebrating egungun festival with canes in our hands to beat each other. While some have small canes, some have koboko, some have 2 x 4, other carry iroko tree. Depending on who is doing the beating at the moment, your turn will come. The petrol attendants are probably going to pay this through hospital bills, school fees, police egunje.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by dominictj(m): 11:54am On Aug 18, 2009
I am surprise that people are still not sure whether Nigeria is a failed state or not. Need not argue over this, Nigeria indeed is already a failed state because it has all the elements of a failed state. Nothing is working in the country and the president has no answers to the lingering problems Nigerians are facing, rather the PDP is thinking of how to manipulate result in the 2011 election. God pls help us.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Nezan(m): 12:00pm On Aug 18, 2009
na only petrol station attendants?
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 18, 2009
Mikano can't stop or can't be stopped. They can't stop because they are in business, no Govt. official is concerned by environmental pollution but they are concerned in enjoying environment when abroad. Mikano can't be stopped because the leadership in Nigeria is daft. They have no clue to help it and so blah blah and sink all into their pockets. Just buy a good generator, medium-size called Sumec Firman 2900 it's cool oh. Not advertising for anyone but it's cool not to be visiting Mechanics so often. This Barbers' kind no dey help at all. If you get money and things to power in ur homes and offices, pls buy Mikano with its casing and noise absorber. Thank you.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by IFELEKE(m): 1:23pm On Aug 18, 2009
@Poster,
What about generator sellers?
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by chyjoke1(m): 2:56pm On Aug 18, 2009
maybe we should make somebody like Fashola the president who seems to have an idea of what governance is all about; who know that for real development to take place there must be casualties(most times people who refused to hear). i bet Fashola is not getting more from the FG allocation or local taxes than the former administration and we have been able to see his handwork evidently in all parts of Lagos state.
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by lagbaja(m): 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2009
Another dimension to the corruption of the petrol stations; the other day i went to buy 25 litre of petrol in a jerry can, At Total filling station on Lawansion, I spent N2,100 to fill it up.  The next time i went further to Oando at Lawanson bus-stop, i filled the same jerry can with N1,800. A diffence of N300. The machine reads that you are buying the fuel at the official N65 mean while, the petrol stations have manouvered their dispensers to sell at between N70 and N84 without the buyer ever knowing. I later confirmed that the practise is common among all of them petrol stations. Nigeria wayo !!!!
Re: Petrol Station Attendants; The New Money Makers by globatop: 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2009
The petrol attendant is not really the issue here.
1. Why dont we ask their employer how much is their salary monthly, way back in 2004, an attendant in one of the popular petrol station in Maryland, was begging me for employment, after questioning him about his present job, he told me he was been paid #2,500 monthly in which he called a witness. Just last week somebody said an attendant said their low pay is as a result of those compolsory tipping you customer are paying.

2. Our Govt can not improve on power supply even if power stations are built in every Local Govt of the federation as long as we still depend on gas or oil from Niger Delta, because they will never stop at their demands, from billions to trillions.- watch it.

3. As small as Ghana is, they dont depend on only one source of energy to power their own power generating stations, but here our leaders are so lazy and monolithic in thinking, most of our legislators are contractors, due to shortage of power, most industries has left Nigeria for Ghana. Yet all these are not enough to gear our legislators into action.

Conclusively, Ghana is now wooing Nigerian industries with free LAnd and 15yrs tax holiday, will those industries employ Nigerians, what percentage of Nigerian graduates will be able to secure job in Nigeria, God forbid, will Nigerian be running back to Ghana the 2nd time?

(1) (2) (Reply)

NAFDAC Accuses Anambra Market Leaders Of Shielding Fakers / Getting Used And Empty Plastic Bottles In Lagos And How Much Does It Sell For? / Let Me Teach You How To Make Money Buying Gift Cards In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.