Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,933 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Jennifer: Grass To Grace - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Jennifer: Grass To Grace (86605 Views)

Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace / Grace / Grass To Grace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by olatex25(m): 7:05am On Sep 06, 2016
Weldone zuby, bt u are putin us on a long tin.. Update asap plsss
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by Abuklaw(m): 10:54am On Sep 06, 2016
I know you are very engaged these days but I can't wait much longer to proceed on this literary journey. Please give us more as soon as possible boss.
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by x5jakuzzy(m): 12:58pm On Sep 06, 2016
(y)
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by mirob(f): 3:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
Wow, interesting, you are really good. Ozoigbondu, I like that name.
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by Luckymay(f): 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2016
Keep them coming ozoigbondu..

1 Like

Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by ZUBY77(m): 7:01am On Sep 07, 2016
Episode 47: One Last Hope

Back in my room at the asylum camp, I cried for the rest of the day. Emmanuel had managed to follow me to my room but I turned him back before I opened my door. I told him that I didn’t want to be seen with him anymore.

I knew what happened was not his fault. He just wanted a girl friend like everyone else, unfortunately he made the wrong choice and I encouraged him. I didn’t know that Solomon could someday, jump into a train and start coming to Bremen without talking to me first. I called him every two or three days, he should have told me two days before when I called him that he would come to Bremen. I would not have allowed Emmanuel or any man near me for the entire week. But the last time I spoke with him on the phone, there was no hint whatsoever that he would come to Bremen.

I didn’t know how he even found out where to find Emmanuel and I. Someone at the playing field must have told him that we went into the woods. It must have been one of the Igbo boys I rejected. I knew they were angry over how I didn’t want any of them. The reason wasn’t that I didn’t like any of them; I did. There were some handsome ones among them. My problem was that it would be easier for Solomon to find out I dated at the camp if I went for one of the Igbo boys. I was sure it would create enmity between me and them.

First thing the following morning, I rushed to the phone booth to call Solomon. I felt that he must have calmed down from what happened the day before.

I called more than 12 times without him picking the calls. The person waiting for me to finish my call so she could make hers had become so angry that she left the booth.

I started crying right there at the booth. I didn’t know the next thing to do, he wasn’t taking my calls and I knew he knew it was me.

I thought ignoring my calls was the worst thing he could do about what happened until I returned to the booth two hours later to try again, the phone was dead. Not just switched off, the voice mail made it clear enough for me to understand. It said that the number I was trying to call was no longer in service. It simply meant that he removed the Sim card from the phone entirely. My entire young life was crashing right before my eyes, because of an avoidable mistake I made. I felt as if I was being choked. My entire belonging was at his apartment in Berlin. I didn’t even know how to get to the apartment on my own. I didn’t have an email address to contact him even if I wanted to. I didn’t know what else to do except to find a way to connect to him.

I knew only two of his friends, Johnson and Mr. Frank. I knew that if he had changed his phone number as I suspected, he must have given the new number to one or both of them.

I decided to call one of them to see if he could help. Unfortunately I didn’t have Mr. Frank’s number offhand. Solomon had given the number to me and I saved it on my phone but my phone was left behind in Berlin too. I knew Mr. Frank was the right person to call; Solomon seemed to have a lot of respect for him. I was sure he would have helped me to calm him down. Unfortunately Mr. Frank had advised me to stay away from men. He told me that I would get into trouble if I didn’t respect myself with men in Berlin. Although I forgot everything he told me about men when the fire was burning inside Emmanuel and I. I didn’t think there was any immediate danger since I was not in Berlin where someone could see me cheating. But the last person I ever dreamt of seeing was the one who eventually saw me and he did not just saw me, he saw me in a different city far away from Berlin.

I decided to call Johnson since I knew his number offhand. Solomon had told me to study the number and know it offhand so that what happened at the Tegel Airport would not happen again.

Johnson didn’t pick the first and the second calls. I thought Solomon must have warned him too but since the phone was still active, I decided to give it one last try before I return to my room. This time, he picked the call.

“Hello,” Johnson said from the other end of the phone.

“Good afternoon sir,” I said.

When he asked who I was, I told him.

He asked if everything was alright. He wanted to immediately know why I called him because I never did. I started crying.

“What is the problem Jennifer?” Johnson asked.

I told him what happened. I told him everything the way it happened and I made it clear to him that I could kill myself if nothing was done about it.

After calming me down, he said that Solomon changed his phone number and that he gave him the new one. He called the new number to me but asked me to wait for an hour before calling Solomon. Johnson told me he needed to talk to Solomon first before I could call him. It was the best idea because I was sure my boyfriend could change the new number again and chose not to even give it to Johnson this time. What I did hurt him deeply and I felt it. It was my first to see him with tears. He never believed such thing could happen to him.

I didn’t leave the phone booth; I simply sat down on the tarred pavement and waited for an hour before I called the number Johnson gave me. I would have loved to call Johnson back before calling Solomon but the money I had with me wasn’t enough to make the two calls.

“Yes,” Solomon said.

He knew it was me. He didn’t give me the new number but he knew it was me. I believed Johnson told him to talk to me or at least hear me out first.

I started crying.

“I don’t have time to listen to your cries; I need you to stop calling me. If you call this number again, I will change it all over again and either tell Johnson not to give it to you or in the alternative, decide not to give it to Johnson himself. What do you want?” he asked.

He was dangerously calm, I had expected him to come blazing with anger but he wasn’t. He sounded depressed and tired. The enthusiasm in his usual voice had varnished.

“I don’t know what to do. Please don’t hang up on me,” I said.

“What can I do for you?” he asked.

Such awkward question from a man who was in love with me a day before

Since I didn’t know how to answer such question, I started crying again.

He cut off the call.

Ten minutes later, I called again. He answered the call like he did the first time. It was time to talk to him once and for all because I knew that it won’t take him much to change the number again.

.......................Dedicated to the newly created China Business Online Group. The sky is your limit..............

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by x5jakuzzy(m): 7:41am On Sep 07, 2016
thanks bro....keep it up
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by ZUBY77(m): 6:51pm On Sep 08, 2016
Episode 48: The Walking Dead

Emmanuel had somehow walked up to the booth and stood behind me. He knew what I was going through. I have not said anything to the poor boy since the day before.

He was saying something behind me but I didn’t want to hear it, I was on the phone with Solomon.

“Please I need you to do only one last thing for me. I want you to forgive me. What happened was the first time. I never did it with him or anybody. I don’t have anyone else in Germany. I don’t know what I will do with myself now,” I said amidst tears.

Solomon interrupted me.

“You know what you were doing in Lisbon Portugal, return to the business. Bremen is a big city as you can see. I am sure there are thousands of men who would want to sleep with a beautiful girl like you. If you have something important to tell me, go ahead and say it now. I am going to change this number again and I will ask Johnson not to give the new one to you,” he said.

“I have nothing to say again. Just understand that if I don’t wake up the next day, remember that I loved you to my grave,” I said.

“Wait a minute here; you are not seriously thinking about killing yourself, are you? You are the cause of what you are going through. What am I supposed to do? Do you think I should hug you for sleeping with another man? Where is my fault here? Please tell me how all this has become my fault. I am only talking to you because I have your two bags here. If not, I would have killed this phone again and allow you to do whatever you wish. If you kill yourself, I will miss you for a few months and move on with my life.”

“What two bags? I left only one bag in Berlin,” I said.

“Oh, I bought a new one for you. It already has clothes and shoes and more. And I am not giving it away to anyone else, it’s for you. So when your camp is over, we will find a way to get them to wherever you will be posted. Then we can end all this once and for all. Goodbye,” he said and cut the call.

I didn’t know he bought me new things, he never said anything about it. But that was not the issue.

“Baby, everything will be alright. You will forget about him in a few days,” that was the Emmanuel boy saying behind me.

I turned around and looked him in the eyes. “You don’t understand. This is not about you Emmanuel. I don’t blame you for what happened, I blame only myself. But I want you to get one thing very clear. I am going to do everything I could to get back to him. He is my life in this lifetime; maybe you will have me in another lifetime. We have been through a lot together and this is not the best way to pay him back. Please stay away from me from now on. I don’t want anything to do with you again. Don’t even greet me if we meet on the road. Thanks for the good time we had together but this is where it ends,” I said as I walked away.

When the dinner bell rang around 6pm, I remembered that I haven’t eaten anything since the day before. I didn’t even remember food was part of life.

Slowly, I got up from bed and walked to the dining hall. The dinner was potato, I liked it, so I was able to eat little before everything thing that happened between me and Solomon came flooding back to my head. It nearly chocked me to death as I coughed for few seconds before I left the dining hall.

I had only 11 Euros left with me. I was sure that I won’t go near anything else except to make calls with it. Nothing else mattered to me anymore. The only objective facing me was how to get Solomon back to me.

I didn’t really wrap my head around why he was deeply upset the way he was. I was a Prostitute, a street hawker for that matter. That was what he met me doing in Lisbon. Why on earth was he so upset because of Emmanuel?

When I called Johnson back the following day, I told him to give me Mr. Frank’s phone number.

I called Mr. Frank and told him what happened. I told him that I could kill myself and I was serious about it.

He told me not to do such thing and after blaming me and reminding me that he warned me, he still promised to call Solomon and talk to him; although he warned me not to have big hopes because Solomon was stubborn.

For days and nights, I tried to call Solomon. Sometimes, he would take the call and cut it immediately without allowing me to say a word. Sometimes he would not answer at all. Sometimes he would just tell me to stop disturbing him and cut off the call. Some days he would pick the call, listened as I cried and then when my money got finished, everything ends there. That was the torment I went though while trying to get my man back.

Mr. Frank told me not to give up on him. He said he has spoken to Solomon and gave him reasons why he should accept me back. He also made me promise I would never do such thing again, a promise I was ready to make a million times and keep them too.

Things went on that way for a while until my interview date arrived. Then it became clear to me that I have not been able to rehearse everything I studied for the interview. Of course I still remembered my names and date of birth. I also still remembered the place I came from and all the small basic stuff but I still needed to rehearse. Unfortunately I couldn’t concentrate on anything except Solomon.

Nothing mattered to me anymore. I was hopeless and helpless. I didn’t care about the interview anymore, I didn’t care if I would succeed or not. If the Germans wanted to send me back to Africa as a result of my fluffing of the interview, I was ready. My life was already meaningless in Bremen. The only thing I cared for was no longer mine. There was no source of joy in my life anymore. I was just a walking dead girl. People complained about my weight. The Igbo boys said Emmanuel had given me HIV he carried from East Africa to Germany. They mocked me wherever and whenever they saw me. They said I should have accepted one of them instead of going to contact disease from Emmanuel. It was only Emmanuel who knew what I was going through. I was sure he would have been offering some soothing words but unfortunately, I banned him from speaking to me at all.

That was how I suffered in Bremen asylum camp.

That was how I created the mess that messed me up.

That was how I died for days in Germany.

2 Likes

Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by RSAV: 8:26pm On Sep 08, 2016
I can only describe this story in three words; super, super and super.
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by barbienazom(f): 8:31pm On Sep 08, 2016
Thanks for the update sir @ZUBY77
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by x5jakuzzy(m): 9:47pm On Sep 08, 2016
thanks bro...
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by ZUBY77(m): 4:36am On Sep 09, 2016
Episode 49: The Interview – He Finally said something.

On the day of the interview, I woke up early and prepared.

I said a few lines of prayers and walked to the administrative block where the interview center was located.

Inside the waiting hall, I sat down with a few others who were to be interviewed that day. I waited for close to an hour before my name was announced through the intercom overhead.

I stood up and walked into the interview room number 3.

“Sit down please,” the lady interpreter said.

I did.

“Would you like to talk in English, Deutsch or French?”

“English,” I said.

Solomon already told me in the past that they would want to twist things to trap me into making mistakes. It was already playing out before me. For one, I told the Police in Berlin that I knew only English. I also told the asylum officials that I knew English on the day I came to Bremen. Why then did this tricky woman ask if I would like another language?

“Wie heist du?” The interviewer asked.

“What’s your name?” The interpreter asked.

“Jennifer Ebot,” I said.

The memory of Solomon flashed though my mind as I mentioned Ebot. It was his name and it was my name. We were still attached somehow. I only hoped he would remember it before he chose to throw me away like he was doing.

“When did you come to Germany?” The interviewer asked in Deutsch.

The interpreter told me what she said and I told them when I came to Germany.

The answers to all their questions were already covered and each question brought back the answer to my head even if it was forgotten.

The most interesting part was when I told them how I escaped with my mother when my father was killed. I told them a boat took us from Cameroun to somewhere called Warri in Nigeria. It was in Warri that I found a white man at a night club. The white man said he worked in a ship as a captain and that they transported oil from Nigeria to many places. I had told the man that I would like to follow him on one of his trips and he agreed because he said he liked me.

At the end, I told them how I followed the white man in his ship to Spain before I eventually followed another black man to Germany. I also told them the black man abandoned me and left me stranded in Berlin where I had to beg for food from people until someone told me that I could go and get asylum. I told them how I eventually ended up with another black man who after sleeping with me, threw me out of his house before I found a police station and reported myself.

After my story, I could see mixed expressions on their faces. I could tell they believed me but it didn’t really matter whether they did or not. I was ready to go home to Nigeria. I was mentally and physically tired. I was defeated in life already and I didn’t want to care about anything else. The only thing that really mattered to me was Solomon. Every dream I had of living with him was dying slowly with each passing day. I didn’t know he had such stubborn heart until what happened in the woods in Bremen. I didn’t believe he could ever do such thing to me but it was my fault and I never stopped to blame myself for everything.

“Miss Jennifer, you can go now. We will get back to you soon,” The interpreter said after the interview.

I slowly got up and walked straight to the phone booth to try my luck once more. It was true that Solomon was no longer there for me, but I still felt to tell him everything I did each day. I had just finished my interview. I knew he didn’t care but I wanted to tell him. I prayed that the call I was going to make would be one of those times when he would pick the call and listen without saying a word. If that was the case, I would tell him what I did for the day, the same way I have been doing for days.

At the phone booth, I waited for my turn until it was time. As usual I dialed his number and waited until he picked it.

He said nothing as usual, he just listened.

“Baby, I just want to tell you that I did my interview today. I don’t know how I performed. I wish you were there to remind me some of the things you taught me about the interview. But unfortunately I made the mistake that turned me into a walking statue. I know you are listening to me and I thank you for that. I just want you to know that even if you don’t talk to me for the rest of our lives, I am still happy that you listen to me at all, it’s better than anyone else talking to me,” I said.

As usual, I monitored the call time. The two Euros I put in the booth usually ended in two minutes. It was getting to one minute and 55 seconds when I heard his voice.

“Hello sweetheart, I want to…” Solomon was saying before the phone died.

Unfortunately, that was all the money I had. I cried my way back to my room.

I didn’t have friends at the camp; there was no one to lend me money to call Solomon back. Unfortunately he couldn’t call me back either. The only person who could give me money was the same Emmanuel but I no longer spoke to him. For the fact that I needed to hear what Solomon wanted to say, I had no option than to return to Emmanuel. I was going to do whatever it takes to hear what Solomon wanted to say. My life depended on it. He had just called me ‘sweetheart’, something he has not done for weeks. Something has changed and I was determined to find out even if it meant getting help from Lucifer.

I couldn’t wait for Emmanuel to come out; I went to his room and knocked. When he opened the door he was with another girl. I was torn between asking what I came for and turning around but since I had no right over how he lived his life, I called him outside the room.

“It’s not what you think, it’s you I love, she just came to my room but I …” Emmanuel was saying when I interrupted.

“Please, I need small money to make a call,” I said.

He fumbled in his pocket and produced 5 Euros.

Something told me he was scared but I didn’t care. I was sure he still haboured the feelings for me but the position I found him just put an end to whatever thing he ever thought would happen between us.

I walked straight to the phone booth and dialed Solomon once more.

“Hello Sweetheart, how are you?” Solomon said.

He called me the same name again. Something was going on. It didn’t matter if the borrowed 5 Euros finish again or not. The sweetheart he called me was enough to sustain me until I have money to call him again.

I started crying.

“It’s okay, I am no longer mad at you. I am sorry for how I treated you. Please stop crying. I will come to Bremen be for before two days,” he said.

I didn’t know if he was serious or not, but it was better than everything else to hear him say reasonable words.

“They said I have lost a lot of weight,” I managed to say before the 2 Euro coin finished.

I put another 2 Euros inside the phone booth and dialed Solomon again.

He repeated that he would come to Bremen.

“I know you will not come,” I said and started crying again.

He begged me to stop crying. He said he would come to Bremen and that he would make everything up to me. He said I have suffered enough and that he would not have done what he did because of what I did. He even said it was him who exposed me by sending me away to the camp.

When I returned to my room, I slept for hours until late in the evening when I went to the mall. I had 1 Euro left from the money Emmanuel gave me. It was enough to buy a small cup of vanilla ice cream which I liked so much. I was already feeling better, Solomon, for some reasons best known to him, had decided to talk to me again. It was a win for me because I thought I lost him for good.

I was bent over a large refrigerator, admiring a large bucket of ice cream when the voice said behind me, “You have lost too much weight, what happened?”

I turned around and looked him in the eyes, touched his hand to make sure he was human, It was Solomon standing right before me.

6 Likes

Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 09, 2016
Just gotta comment. Boss you are good.
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by x5jakuzzy(m): 7:06am On Sep 09, 2016
thanks for the update bro.....u are gbasky
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by Bb4u(f): 12:28pm On Sep 09, 2016
This story is just so real...tnx Zubby for the update but we need more
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by Abuklaw(m): 6:02pm On Sep 09, 2016
Even though Jennifer was a prostitute, she shouldn't have decided to punish Solomon by sleeping with Emmanuel. I have learnt an hard way to promise a cheating lady and that's ignoring them.

But sincerely, the treatment Jennifer got served her right.
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by Blessedbabe19: 6:14pm On Sep 10, 2016
Zubby u are a good and prolific writer, I enjoyed reading Jennifer's story so far, more updates please
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by ZUBY77(m): 4:41am On Sep 12, 2016
Episode 50: Never Lose Hope

He had said he would come to Bremen the next day but he was there already.

“I couldn’t wait until tomorrow. I am sorry for what I did to you, I should not have punished you this way,” he said.

The tears were about to fall from my eyes when he held my hand, picked up the bucket of ice cream I was admiring and we walked out to the counter and paid.

I couldn’t say a word, I was stunned. I didn’t believe he was coming. There was a faint hope that he might come the next day as he promised. I knew him well enough to know that he didn’t promise what he had no intention of fulfilling. I didn’t know who among Johnson and Frank that eventually talked him into forgiving me but all that mattered to me at the time was that he was there in flesh and blood.

I couldn’t hold back my tears as we walked away from the mall. He did all he could to make me stop sobbing but it was very difficult for me.

A few minutes before he arrived, I was thinking about what to do with my life after camp. From what I heard, I was likely going to be posted to one remote town outside Bremen. There would be no work or school for me there. I would simply eat and sleep and eat again on daily basis. The entire set up would eventually push me to run away to one city where I knew someone. Unfortunately, I knew no one in any city in Germany or anywhere else in Europe except Lisbon. I was never going back to Lisbon because I would rather suffer in wherever I would be posted instead of returning to the street to sell my body for money.

I was never going to ask Mr. Frank or Johnson for help, they would simply ask me to reconcile with Solomon before they could do anything for me. The issue of why we broke up in the first place was likely going to be discussed with them. No matter how the case would be presented, I was still at fault. I did what every man hated. My situation was hopelessly hopeless. The situation I found myself already reconfigured my brain to start thinking that it was over for me.

That was what I was going through until I heard that strange voice behind me at the mall.

“I hope you are with your ID card, you won’t be returning to the camp this evening,” Solomon said as he held my hand and we walked towards the major.

I nodded to indicate I had my ID card with me as we walked across the road and stopped a cab.

At the Bremen city center, we found a hotel and he booked with his International Passport.

As soon as we got upstairs, he dropped the bag he was carrying, hugged and held me that way for long. He whispered in my ears that he was sorry for abandoning me. He said he was too harsh and didn’t know what he was thinking. He even told me that he did similar things with women during his camp time when he newly arrived in Germany. But at the end, he also said that he was hurt because he never believed he could see such thing with his eyes.

“I am sorry for everything, it was my fault. I tried to hold him off since the day I arrived at the camp. I had no friend here except him. I rejected all the Igbo boys here because I didn’t want to cheat on you. I don’t know what came over me that day that made me agreed to kiss him when he asked. That was how it started. Thank God we didn’t do anything yet before you arrived, I would not have been able to forgive myself,” I had said as our mouths closed on each other and halted whatever word we intended to say.

That was how Solomon Ebot, my elder brother and boyfriend returned to me in Bremen. As we played in the hotel room, I silently vowed never to fall for such temptation again in my life. I have learnt my lesson the hard way and I was sure the second chance was all I needed.

We went to watch a movie that night and the following day, we traveled to a city called Kiel. Solomon said he read somewhere that Kiel was where Germans started manufacturing Submarines. I didn’t know what he meant by submarines then and I didn’t care. I just wanted to go wherever he wanted us to go.

My frail body was easier for him to hold as he crossed his hand around my waist and held me inside a military Museum where we were apparently the only black people.

“Are you not scared that we are the only black people here?” I had asked inside the Museum.

“No, I am not; I don’t get afraid that way. The instructions said we should not take pictures. We are not taking pictures. They sold the tickets to us and allowed us to go inside. That means there is no problem.”

It was later in the evening when we returned to the hotel in Bremen. He announced he was leaving back to Berlin the next day and I started missing him while he was still with me. I wanted to follow him back to Berlin; I didn’t want to be alone anymore. I wanted to abandon the asylum process and return to my apartment in Berlin. Life was easier and better there for me and I got to see and feel Solomon every other day but according to him, ‘Sometimes we have to sacrifice what we like to do what is right’

I thought I was in trouble when Solomon left the next morning. He gave me money and said he would be expecting me in Berlin as soon as I got posted out of the camp.

As I walked back to the entrance gate of the camp, I wondered what questions I would answer for sleeping outside the camp for two days but when I got there, the young man at the gate smiled at me and asked me to show my ID card. He didn’t touch it, he just asked me to go.

That was how I got my life back.

That was how I learnt never to lose hope.

2 Likes

Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by janeso(f): 8:29am On Sep 12, 2016
Tnx. For the update
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by LivinaPatrick(f): 10:13am On Sep 12, 2016
Wonderful
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by edimahgurl(f): 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2016
Wow great story..I'll love to see u Zubby,av read ya "there n back in time" n am really impressed wit wat I saw..pls consider my request tnx
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by x5jakuzzy(m): 9:18pm On Sep 12, 2016
thanks
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by Chicent(m): 2:34am On Sep 13, 2016
edimahgurl:
Wow great story..I'll love to see u Zubby,av read ya "there n back in time" n am really impressed wit wat I saw..pls consider my request tnx
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by ZUBY77(m): 3:18am On Sep 15, 2016
Episode 51: Sometimes There is nothing we can do.

“Where did you say you are going?” I asked Solomon on the phone.

It was the day after he left Bremen. He said he was going to Slovakia with Johnson for business. I didn’t know where Slovakia was and I never even heard of it. I wondered where it was located and how long it would take them to get there.

According to the asylum records, people usually started being posted out of the camps two weeks after their interview. I knew my posting was approaching and I also didn’t know when Solomon would return. According to him, I was going to wait in wherever I would be posted until he return to Berlin.

“How long are you going to stay in Skolova?” I asked.

“It’s Slovakia not Skolova. I don’t know how long I will stay there but I believe it’s not going to be more than one week.”

Life went on as usual except that this time I was no longer under any pressure. Emmanuel had learnt to stay away from me. Somehow he knew I spent two days outside the camp. We met at the dining hall in the evening of the day Solomon left. He said he came to look for me twice but couldn’t see me. He wanted to apologize for picking up another girl but I told him not to do that. I told him he didn’t owe me any explanation and that it was better he stayed away from me. I told him what happened between me and Solomon and made it clear to him that I won’t allow anything to put me in the situation I passed through because of what happened between us.

A day later, Solomon went to Slovakia. I had called him that morning while he was at the train station. He told me not to call him from the evening of that day because he must have crossed from Germany to Austria where he would take the bus to Slovakia. I told him I couldn’t stay for days without talking to him but there was nothing I could about it. He promised he would be back before one week.

Some days after he went to Slovakia, the posting letter came. I, with a few other people were transferred to a small Bremen satellite town called Achim.

Achim wasn’t particularly a place where I could live. Nothing worked there because the people who lived there were mostly the indigenes who never traveled to anywhere. They looked and starred at us as if we came from a different planet.

We were paid some money to settle down.

The government gave us a room each and equipped it with TV and Fridge. Cooking pots were distributed to us as well. We were shown the kitchen where four large cooking gas were installed. That was where everyone would cook.

They tried to make life comfortable for us in Achim but the truth was that I didn’t like the place. I wanted to return to Berlin as soon as possible. I believed I would have even left for Berlin the first day I was posted to Achim if not that Solomon traveled to Slovakia.

It didn’t take long in the Achim Heim before the usual suspects showed up. This time, there were Igbo boys again. There were about 3 of them that lived in the Achim camp. I was told there were many more but they all left Achim camp for other cities and only returned to receive their monthly payments.

As I sat in my room wondering how Igbo boys were able to live everywhere I go, a knock came to my door.

“Who is that?” I fired without caring who it might be.

“It’s me,” the voice said and stopped.

I ignored whoever it was and sat where I was until the second knock came, then I got up and opened the door.

His name was Jack; that was what he said anyway. No one knew what the true name of anybody at the camp was. I for one chose the name Ebot which wasn’t related to me in any way, I didn’t even know what Ebot meant. We simply chose a name from whichever tribe or country we chose to use for our asylum.

“What do you want?” I asked as we stood face to face at my door.

“Nothing, I just want to come inside and talk with you,” he said.

“There is nothing to talk about, you said you want nothing. I am busy and I want to..” I was saying when he walked inside the room through my right hand side.

“I don’t remember asking you to come inside my room,” I said as my heartbeat started to increase.

I was scared, not because I had no answers for whatever question my strange visitor was going to ask, but because I imagined what would happen if Solomon simply walked in there without announcing it, just like he did in Bremen camp. I didn’t put anything past his abilities. I had no doubt he could locate the camp in Achim without even telling him where I was posted. He once told me that as long as I bear the name Ebot, he will find me wherever I go in Europe.

“You are a Nigerian girl. Why are you running away from us, we are your brothers,” my visitor said as he picked up a portion of my bed and sat down there without invitation.

“I am not interested in you or anyone for that matter. I need you to get up and walk away before I report you to the office,” I said.

“Wait, it has not gotten to that. I think I like you and I will give you whatever you want in this Germany. My father is the.. “

“Look, I don’t care who your father is. Just leave this place immediately,” I said as he stood up and made for the door.

“My name is Jack, we will talk again soon.”

“I don’t think so Jack,” I said as I closed the door behind him.

A sigh of relief escaped from me as I heard his footsteps faded away. I couldn’t possibly imagine what would have happened if Solomon had walked in at the time Jack was sitting on my bed. He would not have believed whatever I would tell him. It would have been the end of everything and despite that it wasn’t my fault this time, I would have struggled to convince Solomon that I had nothing to do with Jack.

It didn’t even take long before the second Igbo guy showed up. I was going out to buy chicken to make soup when he followed me to the mall.

“My friend said he was at your room, is that true?” He asked.

“Why should I tell you and who are you?” I fired.

“I am Donatus. We made a bet of 20 Euros each. He said he can go to your room and spend some time with you and I told him he couldn’t,” he said.

“Wait, so two of you fools made a bet with me and the result was to invade my privacy.”

He quickly grabbed my arm and held it tight. “Don’t call me a fool another time.”

4 Likes

Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by janeso(f): 8:52am On Sep 15, 2016
Thanks the update....but only that it. Come once in a while

All the same am following the story.

Please invite people to this house. So that it wil be lively abeg

Thanks
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by kingofkuwait: 6:04pm On Sep 15, 2016
Jennifer said Solomon doesn't drink AlCOHOL and i'm like not the Solomon i read about in the past write up.
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by RSAV: 9:04pm On Sep 22, 2016
Nice. Thanks OP.
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by ZUBY77(m): 3:01am On Sep 23, 2016
Make una have small patience for me Abeg. I am engaged with some business at the moment and it hardly allows me to even sleep.
I will continue as soon as I get it done. Soon enough.
I miss drawing the story and it's details too.
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by Bb4u(f): 7:17am On Sep 23, 2016
ZUBY77:
Make una have small patience for me Abeg. I am engaged with some business at the moment and it hardly allows me to even sleep.

waiting patiently Sir
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by x5jakuzzy(m): 8:49am On Sep 25, 2016
what's going on about the story.....almost forgetting it self.....thanks
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by tobianodino(m): 1:55pm On Sep 26, 2016
nice one
Re: Jennifer: Grass To Grace by slimzpresh(f): 9:30am On Oct 09, 2016
Please how do i register in global runs?The story am reading has been on standstill for months cux the story is passworded and i cant seem to find a way to register
ZUBY77:

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

CI / A Thorn In The Flesh / Chronicles Of Temy (my Life On Campus)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.