Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation (27689 Views)

Four Banks Trading Below Minimum Liquidity Ratio – MPC Members / Naira Dramatically Recovers To N405/$1 After MPC Decisions / Update On MPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Mufasa1805(m): 6:18am On May 18, 2016
By Babajide Komolafe The naira maintained its upward trend in the parallel market yesterday, appreciating to N345 per dollar in response to decline in demand for dollars occasioned by anxiety over the possible outcome of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting coming up next week.
Vanguard investigation revealed that the parallel market exchange rate fell to N345 per dollar yesterday from N350 per dollar on Monday, implying appreciation of N5 for the nation’s currency. The naira has appreciated by N25 against the dollar since Friday when the parallel market exchange rate stood at N370 per dollar in response to anticipated increase in demand due to deregulation of petroleum products importation and rumours about imminent official devaluation of the naira by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). Bureaux De Change operators attributed the increased appreciation of the naira to anxiety over the possible outcome of the MPC meeting scheduled to hold from Monday to Tuesday next week. “Demand for dollars is weak today because market participants, especially, buyers are anxious about the outcome of the MPC meeting”, said Aminu Gwadabe, President Association of Bureaux De Change Operators of Nigeria (ABCON). Confirming this development, Financial Derivatives Company Limited, said “Nigerians are extremely nervous about the possible outcomes of the next MPC meeting. This is because of a confluence of negative developments ranging from a sharp fall in the production of oil, deepening external reserves, spiralling inflation and sharply lower Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth. There has hardly been a time in the history of Nigeria that the Central Bank has been faced with such stark and hard choices. Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet. Reviewing the impact of the sharp increase in inflation rate to 13.6 percent in April on the financial markets and the outcome of the MPC meeting, “The Company stated, “The MPC is expected to seriously consider the consequence of high inflation on investor returns. A tighter monetary environment (hiking interest rates) could result in investors shifting to the fixed income market due to attractive interest rates. In addition, NIBOR and T-bill rates would be expected to increase. “Given the underperformance of the stock market with a negative YTD return of (6.35%), we expect capital outflow from the Nigerian bourse, as investors become attracted to high interest fixed income instruments. “We expect a cocktail of measures or a sequence of steps aimed at controlling inflation, maintaining currency stability and stimulating growth. The order in which these decisions will be taken is a subject of great uncertainty and anticipation.”
Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/fear-mpc-outcome-fuels-naira-appreciation/
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by nairayouthcom(m): 6:19am On May 18, 2016
K

FTC, space for sale

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by tundelis(m): 6:20am On May 18, 2016
Chai d guy above ripped me of FTC space ni sha na 5g u dey use??

Nigga be chilling on FP since 2011 cool

Moral lesson: don't stop talking until someone is ready to listen
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by hungryboy(m): 6:25am On May 18, 2016
Abeg,
Na the same naira were been exchange for 200naira April last year be this?

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by mostyg(m): 6:33am On May 18, 2016
[i][/i] Legalise illegal refineries

#legaliseiilegalrefineries

The high cost of PMS is as a result of the umavailability and high cost of procuring the US dollars. As long as we are still an importing country with little or no product to export, this situation will continue till eternity.A good way of making petrol available at a cheap price is to refine locally. All our refineries are not working to capacity as at present. The private refineries granted licence have not started working.A short term solution is to legalise all the so called illegal refineries. The more they are, the more availabilty of fuel.Government should also regulate and monitor the quality of their products. In the end, more jobs, more cheap fuel will be our gain.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by looseweight: 6:54am On May 18, 2016
Ok

IAMLOOSEWEIGHT
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Nobody: 6:56am On May 18, 2016
Buhari has always been a confused He-Goat.. Below is a picture of his displayed stupidity sad

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by makazona(m): 6:56am On May 18, 2016
Dollar Dollar Dollar!

Its well
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by zeezyoung(m): 6:56am On May 18, 2016
Today is my Birthday show some love.

136 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Joshuahunpe(m): 6:56am On May 18, 2016
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Welber(f): 6:57am On May 18, 2016
Dollar heading for 400

Where is Buhari's Chinese RMB?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by femadesh(m): 6:57am On May 18, 2016
We will get there!
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by xreal: 6:57am On May 18, 2016
mostyg:
[i][/i] Legalise illegal refineries

#legaliseiilegalrefineries

that will be a good step to take.

....'they' wouldn't allow that to happen.

2 Likes

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Nobody: 6:57am On May 18, 2016
Is it the same naira that has depreciated to #385 in the black market in 48 hours?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Nobody: 6:57am On May 18, 2016
zeezyoung:
Happy Birthday

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by demarc001: 6:57am On May 18, 2016
All this one na story, na everyday hardship dey skyrocket under bubu

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by adrainuche(m): 6:58am On May 18, 2016
Buhari and is 1889 economic policies is why we are here today ... SMH ..

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by trailblaiza(m): 6:58am On May 18, 2016
Gf
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by mosalab(m): 6:58am On May 18, 2016
CHANGE is constant... NAIRA is a living testimony grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by habex005(m): 6:58am On May 18, 2016
another propaganda in the news

8 Likes

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Nobody: 6:58am On May 18, 2016
Probably it will depreciate again. Nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by MrScript(m): 6:58am On May 18, 2016
zeezyoung:

Today is also my Birthday, show some love

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by cutetopsey(f): 6:59am On May 18, 2016
grin Hmmmmm!!!

GHANGE! CHANGE!! CHANGE!!! cheesy

hear what the bible says about CHANGE grin

Proverb 24:21-22

My son, fear thou the LORD
and the king: and meddle not with
them that are given to CHANGE: grin

For their calamity shall rise
suddenly; and who knoweth the ruin
of them both?

check my signature

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by skeendyke: 6:59am On May 18, 2016
nairayouthcom:
K

For Kerosene

@ topic

What should I do with this piece of news? It is not good and it is not bad so I should just put it aside till it is N1 = $1.

Space Bookers Association Of Nigeria - S B A N -, I hail una o.

2 Likes

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Ukalejohn(m): 6:59am On May 18, 2016
Are they going on strike or not?
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by xreal: 6:59am On May 18, 2016
zeezyoung:
Happy Birthday.

2 Likes

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by Nobody: 7:00am On May 18, 2016
Breaking News

2 Likes

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by diasporaman(m): 7:00am On May 18, 2016
At 345 naira to a dollar! Naira appreciation my foot.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by IVORY2009(m): 7:00am On May 18, 2016
Lie, Mallam Musa, is selling @ 370 per dollar

And buying frm you @ 360 per dollar

4 Likes

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by gidimasters(m): 7:00am On May 18, 2016
Check My Signature
Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by gabolak(m): 7:01am On May 18, 2016
Let us continue to pray 4 dis country & our leaders. stop d blame game & name calling. Nigeria will be great again. IJN.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Over MPC Outcome Fuels Naira Appreciation by babs01(m): 7:01am On May 18, 2016
the way d naira is depreciating eh

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HOW TO REGISTER YOUR BUSINESS, COMPANY AND NGOs WITH CAC / How Has Coronavirus Affected Your Business? / Ten Types Of People You Will Find In The Bank This Last Day Of BVN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.