Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Beware: New Phishing Scam! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Beware: New Phishing Scam! (1163 Views)

BEWARE New SCAM Bank Email Alert / Uber Scam, Beware ;new Format By Drivers / Beware: New Method Of Stealing From Innocent People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware: New Phishing Scam! by hahn(m): 11:49am On May 18, 2016
So, I was going through my email and saw this new method of phishing scam. I will like to note that what most Nigerians refer to as hacking is actually a phishing scam. Check the different definitions below:

Phishing scams are attempts by scammers to trick you into giving out personal information such as your bank account numbers, passwords and credit card numbers.

Hack: gain unauthorized access to data in a system or computer.

So, what is the new trick?

Here is a sample of the email I received from "firstbank, zenith bank and diamond bank. I do not even have an account with them. I only have an account with diamond. However, the emails and the idea behind them are quite similar

According to the email from zenith bank:

Subject: Monthly Bulletin Charge of NGN 12.100:00

Dear Esteemed Customer,
On our records, you registered for our Zenith Customer Digest monthly bulletin and this comes with a monthly charge of N12,100:00.
Please we would like to ask you to confirm this request:
follow the cancel reference below

https://ibank.zenithbank.com/internetbanking/#to Cancel Here

We do apologize and regret all inconvenience es this may caused.

Thank you for choosing Zenith International Bank

Here are pictures of the mails

The trick is pretty obvious. According to the email, you have a pending monthly bulletin which you are supposed to be charged N12,100 for and you are asked to cancel it blah blah blah. This is the main point of the trick. They know you will immediately hurry to stop it and so when you click the link, you will be redirected to their mock up website.

Things to note:

1) Even when it SEEMS like the email if from your bank, it is not. as shown in the picture below:

2) The links your are supposed to click on are only masked to look like they are from your bank. You can identify fake links by

a) Rest your cursor over the link. You will notice, if you are using a pc, that the link is totally different from what is actually shown in the pic below:

Normally, the fraudsters will design a perfect replica to your banks web page. Unfortunately, as at the time of writing this, the scam pages have been brought down.

However, typically you will be asked to put in your login details and maybe you bvn number. As soon as you click "login", your account details go straight your the scammers email and they can do whatever they want with your account.

The idea is usually to send as much emails and hopefully, you might just have an account with one of the banks.

Share with your friends and keep your money safe.

Have a nice day smiley

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by gidimasters(m): 11:58am On May 18, 2016
Ok
Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by CyberEBOLA(m): 12:12pm On May 18, 2016
MUST YOU POST EVERYTHING YOU SEE?
Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by writetopoker: 12:13pm On May 18, 2016
it's called "spam page"
Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by Nobody: 12:19pm On May 18, 2016
Its people that operate too many accounts and again, this is actually a petty trick no one should fall for.

First of all, you should know your account number! If it doesn't start with 3 as the mail suggest, discard it immediately
Secondly, if you receive a mail from a bank you do not even use(Like i received for diamond even when i have never entered a diamond bank branch before let alone have account) you discard it.
Thirdly, You should login to your internet banking via your bank's official website to verify your balance(This is why we encourage internet banking) and see your transactions.

1 Like

Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by hahn(m): 12:25pm On May 18, 2016
coolsix:
Its people that operate too many accounts and again, this is actually a petty trick no one should fall for.

First of all, you should know your account number! If it doesn't start with 3 as the mail suggest, discard it immediately
Secondly, if you receive a mail from a bank you do not even use(Like i received for diamond even when i have never entered a diamond bank branch before let alone have account) you discard it.
Thirdly, You should login to your internet banking via your bank's official website to verify your balance(This is why we encourage internet banking) and see your transactions.

Nice contribution.

writetopoker:
it's called "spam page"

The page you are directed to from the email is called a spam page but the whole art process is called phishing. Thanks

CyberEBOLA:

undecided
Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by feldido(m): 1:06pm On May 18, 2016
These guys are too clever... Mr Bones grin
Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by dake40(m): 1:28pm On May 18, 2016
CyberEBOLA:

He's an eye opener and if this isn't fair with you can hug transformer.....foolish scammers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by Viktor1983(m): 8:45pm On May 19, 2016
CyberEBOLA:

Why are you so sad?

Oga Lalasticlala I think this thread needs to be on FP.
Re: Beware: New Phishing Scam! by hahn(m): 8:49pm On May 19, 2016
Viktor1983:

Why are you so sad?

Oga Lalasticlala I think this thread needs to be on FP.

No snake. No Tonto Dike. No bread seller. No celebrity marriage failure. I doubt it undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Promote My CPA Offer To Increase My Earnings / Cost Of Starting P&G Products Wholesale Business / (four) 1 Litre Of Pure Honey For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.