Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,362 members, 7,815,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States (11407 Views)

Northern Groups Demand Emergency Rule In States. / IGP Directs Police Commissioners To Disarm Militias In States / Paris Club Refund: Strike, Protests Loom In States Over Unpaid Salary Arrears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Islie: 7:15am On May 19, 2016
The nationwide strike action called by the Ayuba Wabba faction of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) took off yesterday across the country with mixed responses. The industrial dispute was not effective in Lagos and Abuja. Commercial activities went on unhindered in both cities and many states.

While business activities were crippled in some states of the federation such as Cross River, Plateau, Akwa Ibom, Ondo, Imo, Kwara and Delta, there was partial compliance in some other states such as Enugu, Abia, Oyo, Ogun, Edo, Ebonyi, Benue and few other states. But in some other states such as Lagos, Kano, Bauchi, Adamawa and most states in the northern part of the country, there was no strike action at all.

The Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the Joe Ajaero-led faction of the NLC had pulled out of the scheduled strike following meetings with the representatives of the Federal Government, led by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Dr. Babachir David Lawal.

While Ajaero and his group opted for a committee to resolve the fuel price increase impasse, the TUC was not convinced and opted not to go for the strike. In most parts of the country monitored by New Telegraph’s correspondents yesterday, even though many of the people were either angry at the non-payment of salaries and the increase in price of fuel, many did not believe in a strike action.

Wabba, who led the protest in Abuja, decried the continued importation of fuel into Nigeria by successive governments. He said it was a sign of corruption that the country continues to import fuel till date. He added:

“As continuous importation of fuel will be used to enslave Nigerians, the naira will be devaluated and prices will keep going up and there will be no end to it. “We have refineries that have stayed up to 110 years and with regular maintenance, refineries can be fixed and production capacity can also be upgraded for local consumption.

“But because of corruption, we have refused to do so and with the issue of subsidy, importation will actually reduce what is being produced in the country.” In Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, the labour alleged that three members of its leadership were arrested by the police.

In Edo, the state government warned that any worker who shunned work under the guise of strike would forfeit his or her pay. The government, in a statement by the Head of Service, Mrs. Gladys Idahor, said, “all workers are expected to be at their duty posts.

Any worker who stays away from work will forfeit his or her pay as ‘no work, no pay’ will be strictly enforced. Yesterday also, the Senate told its Committee on Labour and Productivity to intervene in the on-going impasse between the organised labour and the Federal Government.

Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, explained that the purpose of the executive session was to discuss the Federal Government- Labour face off and intervene to end the crisis as quickly as possible.

He noted that the Upper Chamber had directed the Mohammed Nazif-led Committee on Labour to interface with the two groups in the conflict, to ensure early resolution of all contentious issues in dispute.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/nlc-strike-flops-partial-compliance-states/

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Bitterleafsoup: 7:22am On May 19, 2016
Here is some snaps thank me later

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Mynd44: 7:24am On May 19, 2016
NLC should save itself the embarrassment and call this strike off

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by chriskosherbal(m): 7:26am On May 19, 2016
The both parties should come to the negotiating table and iron this thing out.

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by madridguy(m): 7:27am On May 19, 2016
Ok
Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by mbaboy(m): 7:29am On May 19, 2016
The division among labour leaders crippled the strike, my candid advice to them is that, they should put their house in order and speak with one voice. They should go back dialogue with government and call off the strike immediately

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Tokety7: 7:30am On May 19, 2016
Excellent development. Good news to the ears. Even here in PH, it was business as usual.

6 Likes

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by RaDaZaBaNa(m): 7:31am On May 19, 2016
Apc all promises cancelled

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:31am On May 19, 2016
I would have loved to see an NLC led strike on separation of local government autonomy from states especially here in the south east.
For now this is just a popularity contest, and a means for some people to rest,makes me remember my days in P.Z , we always prayed for strike, even though we knew it will change nothing.

5 Likes

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by omenka(m): 7:36am On May 19, 2016
The leadership of NLC knows this has really gone awry but is ashamed to admit it and suspend the action.

Majority of the strongest unions and institutions in the country have backed out and sooner than later, only the leadership of NLC themselves and those that are perpetually saddened by EVERY action taken by the government, simply because Buhari defeated Jonathan, would be the ones sitting at home.

Much as Nigeria's economic indices are nothing compared to Venezuela's, that country is in total chaos with Marshal law declared in most parts, yet Nigeria still manages to hold it together.

I shudder with terror at the thought of what might have been had the old criminals who couldn't make any tangible progress as regards diversification of our economy and saving for rainy days such as this won the elections.

Nigeria will come out of this stronger- I believe.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Nobody: 7:38am On May 19, 2016
Flop? Ye must be kidding. ASUU asup coeasu are firmly on strike and so many states lockdown

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:03am On May 19, 2016
When the hand of law is brought in, Ayuba will cry witch-hunt. He is going against the labour law which guide strike. He is also not respcting court injuction which put the strike on hold. How I wish Buhari can order his arrest for causing public disturbance and anarchy.

Their strike means nothing as it changes nothing. They do not have the support

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by priscaoge(f): 10:23am On May 19, 2016
What do u expect when there's no unity among themselves n brown envelope flying upandan undecided undecided
Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Nobody: 10:24am On May 19, 2016
I guess that everyone is getting realsitic.

Fuel subsidy is not sustainable on oil prices less than $50.....even at $120.

Nigerians...wake up. We were never a rich nation.

2 Likes

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by jamst2(m): 10:26am On May 19, 2016
The nigerian govt is full of corruption from the era of the military regime to civillian regime, their so called hoax/scam/fake subsidy removal keeps going on but nothing to show for the economy...majority of the citizens are living in abject poverty while the so called govt/cabals/elites are feeding fat on our suffering...IT IS NOW OR NEVER...SAY NO TO SUBSIDY REMOVAL HOAX/SCAM.

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by jamst2(m): 10:26am On May 19, 2016
Huh! This is why we need to stand up & fight 4 our right in this country,this is a fight btw the rich & the poor,the elite & the masses,the good & the bad and the forces of light & the forces of darkness...now is the time! RISE UP GOOD CITIZENS OF NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by goodlifehyd1: 10:27am On May 19, 2016
Nigerians are wiser now, this same group didn't threaten to go on strike when Fulani herdsmen went on rampage, they didn't go on strike when states refused paying workers salary nor did they go on strike when some "goats were eating national yam" even the last strike they went on during GEJ's era can anyone point out the improvements in our tertiary institutions... Instead of this poo they should dialogue with the government and try increasing worker's salary

2 Likes

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Nobody: 10:28am On May 19, 2016
REALITY CHECK..It's only strike hungry ASUU that's in support and it can be vital

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Nobody: 10:29am On May 19, 2016
jamst2:
The nigerian govt is full of corruption from the era of the military regime to civillian regime, their so called hoax/scam/fake subsidy removal keeps going on but nothing to show for the economy...majority of the citizens are living in abject poverty while the so called govt/cabals/elites are feeding fat on our suffering...IT IS NOW OR NEVER...SAY NO TO SUBSIDY REMOVAL HOAX/SCAM.

Do you have the money to pay to subsidize oil....as well as import it.?

Let's be realistic. Because of falling oil prices....we have a choice.....to either start cutting spending now....or we take more loans from the IMF to keep living the good life....

Nigeria is not a rich nation. Rich nations are not reliant on one stream of funding. That is why we must oppose corruption....because they are stealing from a poor treasury.

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Dragonking: 10:30am On May 19, 2016
There was partial compliance in some other states such as Enugu, Abia, Oyo, Ogun, Edo, Ebonyi, Benue and few other states.

[size=17pt]The igbos that were shouting that they support the strike did not go on strike o except for imo state and thats because of their anger towards Rochas, but my fo0lish niger deltan brothers will go on strike and still lose out financially. The igbos continued with their business despite making noise that they support the strike. The people of SS need to wake up and start thinking outside the box. Make we dey use our sense abeg!!

As for North, i know they will not go on strike, na their brother dey power.[/size] angry angry

9 Likes

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by GWMI(m): 10:31am On May 19, 2016
You call it a flop?what is the ratio of your rating when it hold in 24 states plus the FCT.
Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Nobody: 10:34am On May 19, 2016
Bitterleafsoup:
Here is some snaps thank me later

Looking at your pictures...

1.Stop importation....make refineries work.

Well first off...the refineries we have can only produce 17 million liters of PMS at best. Meanwhile Nigeria needs 43million liters of PMS daily. Some experts even put our daily need at 70million liters. All these need new refineries....which are going to take at least 3 years to come on stream. In the meantime....we have to import.

2.APC...all promises cancelled.

When APC was saying that they would keep subsidy...oil prices were higher than normal. And PMB probably would have kept the subsidy....if he had not been shown how it was drying up our revenue stream.

As for the N40....recall that it was Tam David West that said that....and he added the caveat that we must have all our refinereis working...and add some new ones.

2 Likes

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by gudnex22(m): 10:34am On May 19, 2016
omenka:
The leadership of NLC knows this has really gone awry but is ashamed to admit it and suspend the action.

Majority of the strongest unions and institutions in the country have backed out and sooner than later, only the leadership of NLC themselves and those that are perpetually saddened by EVERY action taken by the government, simply because Buhari defeated Jonathan, would be the ones sitting at home.

Much as Nigeria's economic indices are nothing compared to Venezuela's, that country is in total chaos with Marshal law declared in most parts, yet Nigeria still manages to hold it together.

I shudder with terror at the thought of what might have been had the old criminals who couldn't make any tangible progress as regards diversification of our economy and saving for rainy days such as this won the elections.

Igede man pls call your state university and ask them if truly this has gone wary like you claimed. http://lm.?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbenue.info%2Fbenue-workers-to-comply-with-nationwide-strike-directive-state-nlc-chairman%2F&h=ZAQH4BRu3&enc=AZMKIIDiwUHUa8vtGSRrDLhvybui3hLPfU7UeRhp5jSv9AnETumUkgz-wBlLZ7i3tZW5f7wgE74-z5krlfHZb250ktnt3ngCE8pudrVW_ALI0OyjsIR6MNv9ar0dX_YQ-VBWCmLsHfMgCiasEToj5oyZ&s=1

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Ijaya123: 10:34am On May 19, 2016
No surprise here at all. NLC has lost it's juice long time ago.

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by DesChyko: 10:36am On May 19, 2016
Good to know that the country is divided. Take a look at the compliance and see what I mean. I remember a certain thread where someone mentioned that the NLC division represented Nigerian division as well. Although it was countered, I think this buttresses the fact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Oyecute(m): 10:37am On May 19, 2016
Nothing is crippled in kwara, just driving through ilorin. Nothing like compliance at all.

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Almajiri1: 10:37am On May 19, 2016
Where are the celebs to ginger this protest so it can gather the needed momentum?
Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Nobody: 10:41am On May 19, 2016
priscaoge:
What do u expect when there's no unity among themselves n brown envelope flying upandan undecided undecided
I was surprised to hear they have two factions, both factions are recognised in the media sef. e tire me o

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by Nobody: 10:41am On May 19, 2016
omenka:

ASUU is part of the strike
something you should be worried about,
oh i forgot Buhari children school in the UK while he preaches Anti corruption and one Nigeria to his zombies in Nigeria. since most Zombies are fed by their parents and dont know the current cost of living they shout saii Buhari

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike Flops, Partial Compliance In States by kunta2simple: 10:42am On May 19, 2016
Cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Supreme Court Dismisses 6 Suits Against Governor Diri & Deputy, Ewhrudjakpo / Governor Ugwuanyi Inspects Road Projects In Ogrute (Pictures) / Tinubu Daughter, Zainab Tinubu Has Mental Disorder. In Jail. Gistlover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.